Augeri Acoustic Set

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Augeri Acoustic Set

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat May 12, 2012 2:51 am

Looks like he was opening for another band.
His days of singing lead for Journey may be behind him, but there's some cool arrangements here, and he's having fun.
Voice sounds good on WITS. Some songs like DSB, he should prolly just leave alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMGA5KOD ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YqraRvm ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JCuWJx6hI0
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby MCC620 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:11 am

thanks for the links...i forgot to check youtube yesterday... 8)

AJ Pero's Fallen Blue Benefit Concert
I think Randy Jackson from Zebra did an acoustic set also.
~Maria~
Haters Gonna Hate
MCC620
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Sat May 12, 2012 4:27 am

I normally like this stuff. But in listening, I feel like I could not attach to any melody. Maybe guitar too loud, maybe too many people talking. Maybe just not great arrangements. Not sure.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: Augeri Acoustic Set

Postby Abitaman » Sat May 12, 2012 5:30 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Looks like he was opening for another band.
His days of singing lead for Journey may be behind him, but there's some cool arrangements here, and he's having fun.
Voice sounds good on WITS. Some songs like DSB, he should prolly just leave alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMGA5KOD ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YqraRvm ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JCuWJx6hI0

Thank you kind Sir!!
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby jestor92 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:08 pm

I like it. I still like his voice more than Arnel's.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Aaron » Sun May 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks for the post. Augeri has soul man, and you don't find that much. He also will hang his dick out. Couple the two together and you see what can be done. The dude has soul and will go for it. Journey would be lucky to have him and should consider it a privilege he was able to sing for them as long as he did (lipping aside).
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Mon May 14, 2012 1:18 am

Aaron wrote:Thanks for the post. Augeri has soul man, and you don't find that much. He also will hang his dick out. Couple the two together and you see what can be done. The dude has soul and will go for it. Journey would be lucky to have him and should consider it a privilege he was able to sing for them as long as he did (lipping aside).

I don't recall that being part of the shows! :shock: :lol: Vocal wise he doesn't sound bad at all in these. The bad thing though is that he changed the melody so much on Stone In Love that it's not even recognizable. He did good on DSB, but as someone else said... the crowd was way too loud. Which is amazing because it sounds like there's only about 20 people in there. Vocal-wise though... he sounds good here.
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby AR » Mon May 14, 2012 1:26 am

This show was in Baltimore and I am pissed off I couldn't make it. I had to give a speech in Washington, DC the next morning and going to a show the night before would have been a recipe for disaster. :lol:

Thanks for the clips!
Last edited by AR on Mon May 14, 2012 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon May 14, 2012 5:38 am

Live these days, Augeri has changed the lyrics of DSB from "hold onto that feeling. street-light. peeeoopople!"
Now, instead of "peeeople!", he simply sings "hold on!"
Maybe it's easier to hit the money note that way?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby FormerJrnyFan » Mon May 14, 2012 6:44 am

Cool to hear these songs sung by SA again! Even tho I was disgusted with the whole Tapegate thing, and blame the entire band not just SA, the scandal brought JSS and his gift of song into my life and opened me up to brand new music experience!

It's all good... 8)
... I will ALWAYS be a Sototarian
FormerJrnyFan
Stereo LP

Postby DracIsBack » Mon May 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Good for him! I actually quite enjoyed those. He wasn't trying to replicate Perry and seemed to be having fun.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Aaron » Mon May 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Jim you know what I mean man. He was pushing notes vocally that he might or might not hit. That takes balls and shows emotion. If you're going to bash do it and don't soft pedal with the "20 people there" comments. Lipping aside, Augeri is friggin good.

G.I.Jim wrote:
Aaron wrote:Thanks for the post. Augeri has soul man, and you don't find that much. He also will hang his dick out. Couple the two together and you see what can be done. The dude has soul and will go for it. Journey would be lucky to have him and should consider it a privilege he was able to sing for them as long as he did (lipping aside).

I don't recall that being part of the shows! :shock: :lol: Vocal wise he doesn't sound bad at all in these. The bad thing though is that he changed the melody so much on Stone In Love that it's not even recognizable. He did good on DSB, but as someone else said... the crowd was way too loud. Which is amazing because it sounds like there's only about 20 people in there. Vocal-wise though... he sounds good here.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNY » Tue May 15, 2012 2:51 am

I agree with this. Listening to Augeri for years, I've always said he had bigtime SOUL. It's evident in these clips and it suites him well. Augeri wasn't the power-vocal but he won me over with his soulful influence. He sounds great singing in this setting. Good stuff.
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby G.I.Jim » Tue May 15, 2012 6:27 am

Aaron wrote:Jim you know what I mean man. He was pushing notes vocally that he might or might not hit. That takes balls and shows emotion. If you're going to bash do it and don't soft pedal with the "20 people there" comments. Lipping aside, Augeri is friggin good.

G.I.Jim wrote:

I don't believe I was bashing... just stating my opinion and discussing the good AND the bad. And I did know what you meant about his dick being out there, and was joking. Obviously you didn't take it that way, so I apologize if you were offended.

I've stated my opinions of Steve many times in the past, and I stand by them. I LOVE that he gave me my first opportunity to see a live Journey show. He was a GREAT showman, and everything I've seen him in has him coming across as a genuinely nice guy. I respect him for that. I love Arrival, and it's still one of my favorite albums. I just about wore out my Journey 2001 dvd. I LOVE IT!!

Now, with that being said... I do not think he has the "upmost of integrity". Some people say "it was his way of providing for his family". I get that, but it still doesn't make it right. That's like saying it's ok to be dishonest and cheat people as long as they don't know, because it's helping his family earn money. It's still not right no matter how you classify it. He wasn't alone in the decision, and the band is disgusting for the way they handled it. They're all guilty of getting caught with their pants down. Pretty uncool that they did this to their fan base. They should have slowed down the schedule, or publicly moved on with another singer at that time.

I thank him for his time in Journey, and I will cherish the Journey songs he helped create, but cheating his fans is not cool in my book. Just my opinion.
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Aaron » Tue May 15, 2012 7:14 am

Ok, Deano passes away (RIP you funny bassturd) and this board turns gay. WTF? No offense take here man, I was just busting your balls.

I agree with your comments about Arrival. The integrity thing sucks but I agree. Now anyone that thinks all of those MFR's didn't know EXACTLY what was going on, including Iriving Numbnuts management, is kidding themselves. The entire band and management knew that story. I don't know if Augeri was taking marching instructions or not but they were all guilty. And you're right, it was not cool at all.

G.I.Jim wrote:
Aaron wrote:Jim you know what I mean man. He was pushing notes vocally that he might or might not hit. That takes balls and shows emotion. If you're going to bash do it and don't soft pedal with the "20 people there" comments. Lipping aside, Augeri is friggin good.

G.I.Jim wrote:

I don't believe I was bashing... just stating my opinion and discussing the good AND the bad. And I did know what you meant about his dick being out there, and was joking. Obviously you didn't take it that way, so I apologize if you were offended.

I've stated my opinions of Steve many times in the past, and I stand by them. I LOVE that he gave me my first opportunity to see a live Journey show. He was a GREAT showman, and everything I've seen him in has him coming across as a genuinely nice guy. I respect him for that. I love Arrival, and it's still one of my favorite albums. I just about wore out my Journey 2001 dvd. I LOVE IT!!

Now, with that being said... I do not think he has the "upmost of integrity". Some people say "it was his way of providing for his family". I get that, but it still doesn't make it right. That's like saying it's ok to be dishonest and cheat people as long as they don't know, because it's helping his family earn money. It's still not right no matter how you classify it. He wasn't alone in the decision, and the band is disgusting for the way they handled it. They're all guilty of getting caught with their pants down. Pretty uncool that they did this to their fan base. They should have slowed down the schedule, or publicly moved on with another singer at that time.

I thank him for his time in Journey, and I will cherish the Journey songs he helped create, but cheating his fans is not cool in my book. Just my opinion.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Tue May 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Aaron wrote:Ok, Deano passes away (RIP you funny bassturd) and this board turns gay. WTF? No offense take here man, I was just busting your balls.

I agree with your comments about Arrival. The integrity thing sucks but I agree. Now anyone that thinks all of those MFR's didn't know EXACTLY what was going on, including Iriving Numbnuts management, is kidding themselves. The entire band and management knew that story. I don't know if Augeri was taking marching instructions or not but they were all guilty. And you're right, it was not cool at all.

G.I.Jim wrote:

G.I.Jim wrote:

Fuck you, you cock gobbling pole tugger! There, that better? :lol: :D
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Aaron » Tue May 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Now I'm better. :)

G.I.Jim wrote:
Aaron wrote:Ok, Deano passes away (RIP you funny bassturd) and this board turns gay. WTF? No offense take here man, I was just busting your balls.

G.I.Jim wrote:

G.I.Jim wrote:

Fuck you, you cock gobbling pole tugger! There, that better? :lol: :D
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Fri May 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Still pissed I couldn't make this one. Benefit show with several bands on the bill including Randy Jackson of Zebra fame. Open bar VIP was $36
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun May 20, 2012 4:46 am

The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby brywool » Tue May 22, 2012 5:40 am

Not to whiz all over your cereal or anything, but while Steve sounds good here... (and he does) how come nobody's whining about HIM being tuned down? If Pineda was doing this, everybody would be rushing to drop in that qualifier.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby slucero » Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 am

brywool wrote:Not to whiz all over your cereal or anything, but while Steve sounds good here... (and he does) how come nobody's whining about HIM being tuned down? If Pineda was doing this, everybody would be rushing to drop in that qualifier.

Cause he's not in Journey anymore, and most know that not tuning down is the likely cause of his "departure"...

AP still is in Journey, so he's fair game..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby brywool » Tue May 22, 2012 6:10 am

slucero wrote:
brywool wrote:Not to whiz all over your cereal or anything, but while Steve sounds good here... (and he does) how come nobody's whining about HIM being tuned down? If Pineda was doing this, everybody would be rushing to drop in that qualifier.

Cause he's not in Journey anymore, and most know that not tuning down is the likely cause of his "departure"...

AP still is in Journey, so he's fair game..

Ah, riiigghht..... Now I get it.
:roll:
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 22, 2012 8:15 am

Does make u wonder why they never tuned down the dozen when SA was with the band.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Jeremey » Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Does make u wonder why they never tuned down the dozen when SA was with the band.

Because by the time Augeri realized he had a serious issue they were already using tracks as a crutch. He was always singing into a live mic, as evidenced by the sound guy at Sweden rock festival...it was up to Kevin Elson to decide what the front of house audience was hearing as he switched between Augeri's live mic and the track feed. Had they tuned down a half step about a year into Augeri's tenure it may have made a difference, but I can only guess that it likely would not have made a difference in the long run.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 am

Jeremey wrote:Because by the time Augeri realized he had a serious issue they were already using tracks as a crutch. He was always singing into a live mic, as evidenced by the sound guy at Sweden rock festival...it was up to Kevin Elson to decide what the front of house audience was hearing as he switched between Augeri's live mic and the track feed. Had they tuned down a half step about a year into Augeri's tenure it may have made a difference, but I can only guess that it likely would not have made a difference in the long run.

I'm talking way way back. Augeri started getting rough early in his tenure. They should've tuned down already by 2002, if not earlier. Heck, JSS tried it during his first and only tour.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Jeremey » Tue May 22, 2012 8:47 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Jeremey wrote:Because by the time Augeri realized he had a serious issue they were already using tracks as a crutch. He was always singing into a live mic, as evidenced by the sound guy at Sweden rock festival...it was up to Kevin Elson to decide what the front of house audience was hearing as he switched between Augeri's live mic and the track feed. Had they tuned down a half step about a year into Augeri's tenure it may have made a difference, but I can only guess that it likely would not have made a difference in the long run.

I'm talking way way back. Augeri started getting rough early in his tenure. They should've tuned down already by 2002, if not earlier. Heck, JSS tried it during his first and only tour.

Yes, I meant after the first tour or so had they tuned down a half step I'm not sure it would have made a difference. I say that because it was likely not the range of the songs that did the damage, but the way they have to be sung. Augeri had/has an open, soulful and bluesy voice that he had to force into a lower register and rein in to cover the "sound" of Perry. I'm not convinced that tuning down would have made a difference, for JSS or Augeri, based on the style of vocal they were tuned into when they began covering the Perry songs.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 22, 2012 9:32 am

Jeremey wrote:Yes, I meant after the first tour or so had they tuned down a half step I'm not sure it would have made a difference. I say that because it was likely not the range of the songs that did the damage, but the way they have to be sung. Augeri had/has an open, soulful and bluesy voice that he had to force into a lower register and rein in to cover the "sound" of Perry. I'm not convinced that tuning down would have made a difference, for JSS or Augeri, based on the style of vocal they were tuned into when they began covering the Perry songs.

Interesting, J. On most early boots, I don't hear a guy altering his style or forcing himself into a lower range, I just hear a decent tenor straining trying to emulate the impossible. Even on this boot, from his first show, he is pushing to hit those notes and singing out of his range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqUSTrrq3E
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Navarro » Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 am

My burning question is why did they hire Augeri in the first place? I like the tall stories cd, but there were better options available for Journey.
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 22, 2012 11:14 am

Navarro wrote:My burning question is why did they hire Augeri in the first place? I like the tall stories cd, but there were better options available for Journey.

He sounds like a million bucks on Tall Stories, but the live Tyketto album, made him sound like an untrained amateur. Those recordings should've given Jon and Neal second thoughts, but I guess his audition and general easy going demeanor won them over.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Navarro » Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 am

After SP, the call should have went, "Kevin, Perry bailed, please understand it was about the money and come sing for us!" or something like this, Kevin was the best choice back in 98. They don't make good decisions with singers.
Navarro
Ol' 78

Next

Return to Journey