Journey Manila Concert 3/21/2013 - Cancelled

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey Manila Concert 3/21/2013 - Cancelled

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Just saw this on Facebook. Bummer! :cry:

https://www.smtickets.com/marketing/view/1121

“Due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances, Journey regrets to announce the cancellation of their show slated on March 21, 2013. We apologize for any inconvenience brought about by this decision to the fans and we are looking forward to performing to our Filipino Fans in the near future. We wish to inform the General Public who have purchased tickets through SM Tickets can have their ticket refunded. Please proceed to the branch where you purchased your ticket. Surrender the tickets to get the refund. (No ticket, No refund). For inquiries, please call SM Tickets at 470-2222.”
steveo777
MP3

Postby Don » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say not enough tickets were sold. Even with the smaller venue this time out, things didn't look good. Like I said a few weeks ago, look at the Eclipse setlist poll for the Manila show on Arnel's site.
Three responses.
Eclipse killed off half of the Pinoy fanbase.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Don wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and say not enough tickets were sold. Even with the smaller venue this time out, things didn't look good. Like I said a few weeks ago, look at the Eclipse setlist poll for the Manila show on Arnel's site.
Three responses.

You have an affordability problem there as well. I'm sure people bent and stretched everything they could to afford the first one, but the second one just not a major life issue for the average Pinoy.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Don » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:26 pm

steveo777 wrote:
Don wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and say not enough tickets were sold. Even with the smaller venue this time out, things didn't look good. Like I said a few weeks ago, look at the Eclipse setlist poll for the Manila show on Arnel's site.
Three responses.

You have an affordability problem there as well. I'm sure people bent and stretched everything they could to afford the first one, but the second one just not a major life issue for the average Pinoy.

An explanation coming soon.
Last edited by Don on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Don
Super Audio CD

Postby helix » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm

steveo777 wrote:
Three responses.

It can't be the affordability issue.
Aerosmith just confirmed their show on the same arena on May 8, 2013.

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/83897 ... la-concert
helix
Radio Waves

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:37 pm

helix wrote:
steveo777 wrote:
Three responses.

Then there must not be enough interest or the closeness of their gig before might have interfered.
03.19.13 Singapore
03.21.13 Manila, Philippines

I don't know what's involved, nor the time involved in moving from Singapore to the Philippines. Could be a logistics problem as well.
Last edited by steveo777 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Don » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Rihanna, Katy Perry and all of the pop stars have been selling out down there no problem. It's probably more to do with the story becoming stale.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:40 pm

And cancelled vs. postponed. Big difference. It's like a door closed.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Don » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:41 pm

steveo777 wrote:
helix wrote:
steveo777 wrote:
Three responses.

Then there must not be enough interest or the closeness to their gig before might have interfered.
03.19.13 Singapore
03.21.13 Manila, Philippines

It's a three hour flight between the two places. That's a shorter flight then going coast to coast here in the states. They would have cancelled the Singapore show if it came to that.

If they can fly from Japan after their gig on the 17th to perform on the 19th in Singapore, then have the same time off before the Manila show, the logistics can't be the issue.
Last edited by Don on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Wife just threw in a tidbit.

Filipino jealousy & boycott. Seems some of the natives aren't down with their homeboy doing so well, compared to them, according to news that travels from abroad. I don't know how true any of that is, but some she knows say these things.

Is there a class of reverse racists? :shock:

Maybe Arnel's presence in the band has cause him to appear to internationalistic to them.
Last edited by steveo777 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveo777
MP3

Postby slucero » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:48 pm

steveo777 wrote:Wife just threw in a tidbit.

Filipino jealousy & boycott. Seems some of the natives aren't down with their homeboy doing so well, compared to them, according to news that travels from abroad. I don't know how true any of that is, but some she knows say these things.

Seems the pinoys have the same problem with success that the Brits do then.. Leppard got huge in the US and couldn't get arrested in Britain.. and their countrymen called them sellouts..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Don » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Journey just isn't that popular there, no racism needed. They showed up for the first concert more out of national pride. They can't be expected to do that again. The story is old. You go to concerts to have fun, not to make a social statement because the singer is the same nationality as yourself.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Don wrote:

Journey just isn't that popular there, no racism needed. They showed up for the first concert more out of national pride. They can't be expected to do that again. The story is old. You go to concerts to have fun, not to make a social statement because the singer is the same nationality as yourself.

I actually had these same thoughts in the past, especially when I saw all the Philippine flags waving at USA concerts. Now that all that has imploded, I wonder if he will succumb to his wife's desire to move to the states? Maybe all the loyalty, despite what AP has "given back" was not a two way street?
steveo777
MP3

Postby Don » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:43 pm

As I thought.

The dates we celebrate Easter aren't exactly secret not to mention Journey has an open schedule from March 21 through May 15th.
Media coverage surrounding the elections is effecting ticket sales? Okay..

Don
Super Audio CD

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Don wrote:As I thought.

The dates we celebrate Easter aren't exactly secret not to mention Journey has an open schedule from March 21 through May 15th.
Media coverage surrounding the elections is effecting ticket sales? Okay..

What if it had been Bruce Springsteen playing the same date.....or Madonna?

That doesn't wash, but whatever. This time of year and the events that surround it should have been foreseen before the date ever got booked. Just more dumbassery on the monkees of management. No wonder they can't properly promote an album. They can play music, but can they tie their own shoes?
steveo777
MP3

Postby Don » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:06 pm

This was just advertised a minute ago for a similar sized venue in Manila (16,000 seats). Apparently, Lovato fans aren't effected as much by politics and Easter.

Lovatics, get ready to troop to the Smart Araneta Coliseum! Demi Lovato performs LIVE at the Big Dome on March 20!
The long wait is finally over Filipino Lovatics!

Demi Lovato Live in Manila | March 20, 2013 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby slucero » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:10 pm

This shit is getting laughable..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby jrny84 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:08 am

Wow, this is getting really pathetic and laughable. What happened to all the new excitement and interest that people had worldwide?? Its called the cinderalla story is over and people dont care anymore. Journey is my favorite band, but I have to be real about it...they are pretty pathetic when it comes to worldwide popularity. I guess just the fact that Arnel is from there, would at least make the venue sell decent, this is pretty sad. My hunch is the Singapore show is probably also seeing slower ticket sales as well.

I guess Journey should just stick with the US, Canada, and the UK. I really wonder how ticket sales are selling for the Budokan show in Japan?? That place is a 20,000+ seat venue and I think that might be a bit overly confident that Journey can fill that one too.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:23 am

Maybe Arnel's presence in the band has cause him to appear to internationalistic to them.

I was wondering if people there got tired of hearing about it. Too bad. Keep it in perspective, it's ONE show. "Fans" here are so quick to say "oh, it's over it's over!".
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:35 am

brywool wrote:

I was wondering if people there got tired of hearing about it. Too bad. Keep it in perspective, it's ONE show. "Fans" here are so quick to say "oh, it's over it's over!".

Maybe they don't see the band as active or interesting unless there is new music - like those other artists, and like they had the first time around? Eclipse is 2 years old.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Don » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 am

jrny84 wrote:Wow, this is getting really pathetic and laughable. What happened to all the new excitement and interest that people had worldwide?? Its called the cinderalla story is over and people dont care anymore. Journey is my favorite band, but I have to be real about it...they are pretty pathetic when it comes to worldwide popularity. I guess just the fact that Arnel is from there, would at least make the venue sell decent, this is pretty sad. My hunch is the Singapore show is probably also seeing slower ticket sales as well.

I guess Journey should just stick with the US, Canada, and the UK. I really wonder how ticket sales are selling for the Budokan show in Japan?? That place is a 20,000+ seat venue and I think that might be a bit overly confident that Journey can fill that one too.

They've got some other artists and event s happening the same day. It's all tied together for some type of relief fund or something.
I expect Journey's show to be well attended. Even Mr Big and Night Ranger have sold out their recently.
The other shows in Japan are in sheds that start at 2,700 people.

I get it about the MANILA show. Journey was never overtly popular there. Arnel's story was great but you can't expect people to go to the show four years later for a band they don't like, merely to offer support. It's not like the majority of people there have throw away income.

The excuse the band came out with after the initial canned response though was asinine. Especially when other concerts scheduled that month are doing well. They should have just left it at "Sorry we had to cancel, see you next time."

In other news it looks like the last Australian show in Perth had sound issues again. Tweets about the Journey singer needing to "mic it up." The band definitely had a a bit of trouble "Down under." I don't think any of the shows sold out but that's on Deep Purple as well, not just Journey.
Last edited by Don on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:10 am

Eric wrote:
brywool wrote:

Maybe they don't see the band as active or interesting unless there is new music - like those other artists, and like they had the first time around? Eclipse is 2 years old.

Eclipse didn't even sell a thousand copies there were as Revelation sold 32k. Arnel's website had over 600 responses for what songs should be played from Revelation during their last show in Manila. The same poll for Eclipse songs has three responses.
Eclipse doesn't contain the type of music That Middle aged Filipinos generally listen to. It is what it is.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 am

Don wrote:
Eric wrote:
brywool wrote:

Eclipse didn't even sell a thousand copies there were as Revelation sold 32k. Arnel's website had over 600 responses for what songs should be played from Revelation during their last show in Manila. The same poll for Eclipse songs has three responses.
Eclipse doesn't contain the type of music That Middle aged Filipinos generally listen to. It is what it is.

Even more reason to make a new classic Journey album.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Don » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:26 am

The only reason they're even looking at Manila is because of Arnel. Indonesia is far more supportive of 80s rock artists. Bon Jovi and even Iron Maiden have done stadium shows over there.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby slucero » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:06 am

I don't see the band surviving if Schon is rejoining Santana.. he's been wanting to do something "different" for a long time now..

a Santana will get label support and tour support... and it will be an easy year before he'll be done..
Last edited by slucero on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Don » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:08 am

They'll keep truckin'. Neal will be back. Even if Ross is gone they'll keep going. Now, if Cain calls it quits.. then there might be a problem.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby jrny84 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:17 am

Don wrote:Eclipse didn't even sell a thousand copies there were as Revelation sold 32k. Arnel's website had over 600 responses for what songs should be played from Revelation during their last show in Manila. The same poll for Eclipse songs has three responses.

Wow, I didnt realize Revelation sold that many copies there...thats more than what it sold in Japan, which was around 23,000+ I believe. Do you know the exact number of copies Eclipse sold?
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:19 am

Don wrote:They'll keep truckin'. Neal will be back. Even if Ross is gone they'll keep going. Now, if Cain calls it quits.. then there might be a problem.

That's kinda what I mean.. Cain would be 65 then, Ross 66...

If Journey's popularity wanes and that impacts tickets sales.. they could be playing the fair circuit in now time.. I'm not sure Cain is gonna be down for that

Arnel would be 47 and entering unknown territory age-wise for a Journey singer... (Augi left at 46yrs old)
Last edited by slucero on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Don » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:22 am

jrny84 wrote:
Don wrote:Eclipse didn't even sell a thousand copies there were as Revelation sold 32k. Arnel's website had over 600 responses for what songs should be played from Revelation during their last show in Manila. The same poll for Eclipse songs has three responses.

Wow, I didnt realize Revelation sold that many copies there...thats more than what it sold in Japan, which was around 23,000+ I believe. Do you know the exact number of copies Eclipse sold?

In the Philippines? 770 was the last thing I read.
Don
Super Audio CD

Next

Return to Journey