The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Toph » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:25 am

I'll say it. JY didn't bring shit to the table. The one song that he had that got a little bit of airplay, Miss America, was clearly the 4th (at best) biggest song on the Grand Illusion album.

Ask how many people walking the street if they have heard of Midnight Ride, Put Me On, Great White Hope, Eddie, Half Penny Two Penny, Snowblind, Heavy Metal Poisoning, Double Life, or Homewrecker. Maybe 1 in 200?

Disagree on his voice being the "major part of their harmonies." Nope - Shaw was the high note, DDY the low note, and JY the middle. In fact on choruses of many of their biggest songs (Come Sail Away, Don't Let It End, Babe, TMTOMH - except for the part right before the guitar solo, Roboto), JY is nowhere to be found.

If the Panozzo's are responsible for 5% each of Styx's success, I'd give JY 10%.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:39 pm

Toph wrote:
masque wrote:
how did they "win" the lawsuit?


Is winning having to pay DDY every time they perform? #winning


This point is predicated on that TS\JY\CP were able to retain using and controlling the brand. Which DYY was never arguing to gain sole control of. As far as them having to pay DDY a portion of the proceeds from performances, I'm willing to bet it is very minimal. Otherwise they wouldn't have settled the suit.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:53 pm

Toph wrote:I'll say it. JY didn't bring shit to the table. The one song that he had that got a little bit of airplay, Miss America, was clearly the 4th (at best) biggest song on the Grand Illusion album.

Ask how many people walking the street if they have heard of Midnight Ride, Put Me On, Great White Hope, Eddie, Half Penny Two Penny, Snowblind, Heavy Metal Poisoning, Double Life, or Homewrecker. Maybe 1 in 200?

Disagree on his voice being the "major part of their harmonies." Nope - Shaw was the high note, DDY the low note, and JY the middle. In fact on choruses of many of their biggest songs (Come Sail Away, Don't Let It End, Babe, TMTOMH - except for the part right before the guitar solo, Roboto), JY is nowhere to be found.

If the Panozzo's are responsible for 5% each of Styx's success, I'd give JY 10%.


I think you are downplaying it here. Take the words of DDY himself when he said that the reason for Styx' success was the influences they had on each other. When your talking about songwriting it is clear that TS\DDY were the major players. Part of that was due to how things became structured in the band. Take one of the most recent interviews with DDY:

DD: It's the songwriting. Get the best on the record and we held a high bar. I never brought in ten songs for an album. I brought in three, maybe four. After Tommy came in, who was a bonafide songwriter, I envisioned a 50/40 split between me and Tommy and 10% for J.Y.

J.Y. didn't bring in twenty songs. He usually only brought in one or two. I tried not to overwhelm the process by writing six or seven songs, knowing that there was only going to be seven or eight songs on an album. It makes for a bad relationship among the guys.

That's how it was structured. Subliminally, by me!

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/sho ... hp?id=1266


When I've said JY knows his limitations, it was mainly in reference to his songwriting capabilities. He has been quoted saying that he much prefers to collaborate with others rather then coming up with it all by himself.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Toph » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:22 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
masque wrote:
how did they "win" the lawsuit?


Is winning having to pay DDY every time they perform? #winning


This point is predicated on that TS\JY\CP were able to retain using and controlling the brand. Which DYY was never arguing to gain sole control of. As far as them having to pay DDY a portion of the proceeds from performances, I'm willing to bet it is very minimal. Otherwise they wouldn't have settled the suit.


I wouldn’t call it minimal.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby masque » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:05 am

Toph wrote:
Ask how many people walking the street if they have heard of Midnight Ride, Put Me On, Great White Hope, Eddie, Half Penny Two Penny, Snowblind, Heavy Metal Poisoning, Double Life, or Homewrecker. Maybe 1 in 200?

.



here's the thing toph......you are right and wrong on that comment above. here is what I mean;

to the general radio listening public, most of those people are gonna identify with the hits. but if you ask the true record buying fans that stuck with them and actually listened to the albums over and over, there are MANY fans that like the lesser known JY songs as much if not more than the more famous "hits".

case in point, I'm one of those fans......long before I ever found this message board, my likes and dislikes about their songs was formulated in mind while growing up and listening to them every single day of my life during the 70's and 80's.

as a result, songs like Put me on, great white hope, miss america, half penney two penney and snow-blind are some of my all time favorite styx songs ever. honestly, they truly are.

I would ten thousand times rather listen to great white hope as babe or dont let it end. and that is the actual truth, forget all of the bullshit arguing that goes on around here. NOBODY told me what songs I was supposed to like best, I liked what I liked. I also like Castle Walls better than babe and first time and dont let it end and roboto.......so its not a JY vs. DDY thing to me........Hell, I freaking love the back to back of midnight ride and born for adventure.......so DDY did all kinds of songs I freaking loved like BFA.

and growing up with my tons of friends in school who actually owned styx albums, my friends all loved stuff like snow-blind and half penney two penney over stuff like babe.....in fact, I never knew anyone that wasn't trying to get laid that liked babe over any of their more rock oriented songs.

local bar bands played songs like blue collar man, queen of spades, miss america.......not babe and dont let it end.

once again, if you like that stuff better , then FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm truly happy for you, but I simply dont.

I dont know why it's such a threat to people for other people to like JY's music.......who gives a flying fuck if I like great white hope better than any damn DDY song?????? why does it bother you? can't we all just like this band for whatever fucking reasons that click for each one of us?

I will stand up and say that DDY is a better writer, better singer, better money maker because of the hits he wrote, maybe even better musician........BUT, I still like some of JY's songs as good if not better than anything DDY ever did. it's just that simple. that's no slam on DDY or artificial praise for JY, it's just how I feel......Hell, the truth is I like Tommy's stuff best of all.
masque
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby StyxGuy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:48 am

masque wrote:
Toph wrote:
Ask how many people walking the street if they have heard of Midnight Ride, Put Me On, Great White Hope, Eddie, Half Penny Two Penny, Snowblind, Heavy Metal Poisoning, Double Life, or Homewrecker. Maybe 1 in 200?

.



here's the thing toph......you are right and wrong on that comment above. here is what I mean;

to the general radio listening public, most of those people are gonna identify with the hits. but if you ask the true record buying fans that stuck with them and actually listened to the albums over and over, there are MANY fans that like the lesser known JY songs as much if not more than the more famous "hits".

case in point, I'm one of those fans......long before I ever found this message board, my likes and dislikes about their songs was formulated in mind while growing up and listening to them every single day of my life during the 70's and 80's.

as a result, songs like Put me on, great white hope, miss america, half penney two penney and snow-blind are some of my all time favorite styx songs ever. honestly, they truly are.

I would ten thousand times rather listen to great white hope as babe or dont let it end. and that is the actual truth, forget all of the bullshit arguing that goes on around here. NOBODY told me what songs I was supposed to like best, I liked what I liked. I also like Castle Walls better than babe and first time and dont let it end and roboto.......so its not a JY vs. DDY thing to me........Hell, I freaking love the back to back of midnight ride and born for adventure.......so DDY did all kinds of songs I freaking loved like BFA.

and growing up with my tons of friends in school who actually owned styx albums, my friends all loved stuff like snow-blind and half penney two penney over stuff like babe.....in fact, I never knew anyone that wasn't trying to get laid that liked babe over any of their more rock oriented songs.

local bar bands played songs like blue collar man, queen of spades, miss america.......not babe and dont let it end.

once again, if you like that stuff better , then FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm truly happy for you, but I simply dont.

I dont know why it's such a threat to people for other people to like JY's music.......who gives a flying fuck if I like great white hope better than any damn DDY song?????? why does it bother you? can't we all just like this band for whatever fucking reasons that click for each one of us?

I will stand up and say that DDY is a better writer, better singer, better money maker because of the hits he wrote, maybe even better musician........BUT, I still like some of JY's songs as good if not better than anything DDY ever did. it's just that simple. that's no slam on DDY or artificial praise for JY, it's just how I feel......Hell, the truth is I like Tommy's stuff best of all.


I'v got to say between Dennis and Tommy, they make up the bulk of my favoured Styx songs. I've enjoyed some of JYs songs but personally feel that Miss America is one of the few 'real' JY songs. Many others it seems like he had help, or maybe contributed a lyric or two to get the credit.

Put Me On - Songwriters: Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, James Young
Great White Hope - James Young
Half-Penny Two-Penny - James Young, Ray Brandle (WHO?!)
Snowblind - James Young, Dennis DeYoung


I'll also say this... I'm not a musician and I'm not a song writer... so JY's definitely better than me. He's shared in gold and platinum albums, I have not :P
StyxGuy
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Toph wrote:
I wouldn’t call it minimal.


Unless you have facts that contradict my opinion, I'll stick to it. Also, you have repeatedly gone out of your way to let everyone here know how unprofitable Styx's current tours are. If that is the case, then that would not fair well for DDY.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:26 pm

masque wrote:
I dont know why it's such a threat to people for other people to like JY's music.......who gives a flying fuck if I like great white hope better than any damn DDY song?????? why does it bother you? can't we all just like this band for whatever fucking reasons that click for each one of us?


In general, I don't think that is the case. Just because one talks about the way things worked with JY's song writing input doesn't mean they dislike his songs that made it on the albums. There are several JY tunes I like. Such as Midnight Ride and Put Me on. Also I like a lot stuff he did during the WN days.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Toph » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:00 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
I wouldn’t call it minimal.


Unless you have facts that contradict my opinion, I'll stick to it. Also, you have repeatedly gone out of your way to let everyone here know how unprofitable Styx's current tours are. If that is the case, then that would not fair well for DDY.


You clearly don't understand business or contracts. You are a mere fan who has no clue about the music business. So, let me educate you. If the agreement is for DDY to either get a fixed sum or a % of the gross, then that is before all of their (Styx's) expenses. Its what we would call "above the line" costs. In other words, DDY would likely get revenues taken out of the upfront take that Styx gets from a promoter and before Styx's costs.

So, this Joan Jett tour albatross will result it in base $ for DDY and $ for Styx, but probably little money for Styx in terms of incremental gate because it is selling so poorly. The promoters will be taking a bath on this one.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Toph » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:02 am

masque wrote:
Toph wrote:
Ask how many people walking the street if they have heard of Midnight Ride, Put Me On, Great White Hope, Eddie, Half Penny Two Penny, Snowblind, Heavy Metal Poisoning, Double Life, or Homewrecker. Maybe 1 in 200?

.



here's the thing toph......you are right and wrong on that comment above. here is what I mean;

to the general radio listening public, most of those people are gonna identify with the hits. but if you ask the true record buying fans that stuck with them and actually listened to the albums over and over, there are MANY fans that like the lesser known JY songs as much if not more than the more famous "hits".

case in point, I'm one of those fans......long before I ever found this message board, my likes and dislikes about their songs was formulated in mind while growing up and listening to them every single day of my life during the 70's and 80's.

as a result, songs like Put me on, great white hope, miss america, half penney two penney and snow-blind are some of my all time favorite styx songs ever. honestly, they truly are.

I would ten thousand times rather listen to great white hope as babe or dont let it end. and that is the actual truth, forget all of the bullshit arguing that goes on around here. NOBODY told me what songs I was supposed to like best, I liked what I liked. I also like Castle Walls better than babe and first time and dont let it end and roboto.......so its not a JY vs. DDY thing to me........Hell, I freaking love the back to back of midnight ride and born for adventure.......so DDY did all kinds of songs I freaking loved like BFA.

and growing up with my tons of friends in school who actually owned styx albums, my friends all loved stuff like snow-blind and half penney two penney over stuff like babe.....in fact, I never knew anyone that wasn't trying to get laid that liked babe over any of their more rock oriented songs.

local bar bands played songs like blue collar man, queen of spades, miss america.......not babe and dont let it end.

once again, if you like that stuff better , then FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm truly happy for you, but I simply dont.

I dont know why it's such a threat to people for other people to like JY's music.......who gives a flying fuck if I like great white hope better than any damn DDY song?????? why does it bother you? can't we all just like this band for whatever fucking reasons that click for each one of us?

I will stand up and say that DDY is a better writer, better singer, better money maker because of the hits he wrote, maybe even better musician........BUT, I still like some of JY's songs as good if not better than anything DDY ever did. it's just that simple. that's no slam on DDY or artificial praise for JY, it's just how I feel......Hell, the truth is I like Tommy's stuff best of all.


Please define "MANY FANS" - the 15 bathwater drinkers on this board? Hardly a representative sample.

As far as JY, people may like and respect him more if he wasn't such an asshole.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 am

Toph wrote:
You clearly don't understand business or contracts. You are a mere fan who has no clue about the music business. So, let me educate you. If the agreement is for DDY to either get a fixed sum or a % of the gross, then that is before all of their (Styx's) expenses. Its what we would call "above the line" costs. In other words, DDY would likely get revenues taken out of the upfront take that Styx gets from a promoter and before Styx's costs.

So, this Joan Jett tour albatross will result it in base $ for DDY and $ for Styx, but probably little money for Styx in terms of incremental gate because it is selling so poorly. The promoters will be taking a bath on this one.


Perhaps I need to clarify by what I meant when I said FACTS. What I meant was the exact details of the settlement agreement between DDY and his former band mates. Anything other then that is speculation and\or opinion. So if you can't produce FACTS as in what I mention here, you know nothing more then anyone else. We all are aware that the majority of the agreement has not been made public. That INCLUDES how DDY was or is being compensated.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby masque » Tue May 01, 2018 5:25 am

Toph wrote:
masque wrote:
Toph wrote:
Ask how many people walking the street if they have heard of Midnight Ride, Put Me On, Great White Hope, Eddie, Half Penny Two Penny, Snowblind, Heavy Metal Poisoning, Double Life, or Homewrecker. Maybe 1 in 200?

.



here's the thing toph......you are right and wrong on that comment above. here is what I mean;

to the general radio listening public, most of those people are gonna identify with the hits. but if you ask the true record buying fans that stuck with them and actually listened to the albums over and over, there are MANY fans that like the lesser known JY songs as much if not more than the more famous "hits".

case in point, I'm one of those fans......long before I ever found this message board, my likes and dislikes about their songs was formulated in mind while growing up and listening to them every single day of my life during the 70's and 80's.

as a result, songs like Put me on, great white hope, miss america, half penney two penney and snow-blind are some of my all time favorite styx songs ever. honestly, they truly are.

I would ten thousand times rather listen to great white hope as babe or dont let it end. and that is the actual truth, forget all of the bullshit arguing that goes on around here. NOBODY told me what songs I was supposed to like best, I liked what I liked. I also like Castle Walls better than babe and first time and dont let it end and roboto.......so its not a JY vs. DDY thing to me........Hell, I freaking love the back to back of midnight ride and born for adventure.......so DDY did all kinds of songs I freaking loved like BFA.

and growing up with my tons of friends in school who actually owned styx albums, my friends all loved stuff like snow-blind and half penney two penney over stuff like babe.....in fact, I never knew anyone that wasn't trying to get laid that liked babe over any of their more rock oriented songs.

local bar bands played songs like blue collar man, queen of spades, miss america.......not babe and dont let it end.

once again, if you like that stuff better , then FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm truly happy for you, but I simply dont.

I dont know why it's such a threat to people for other people to like JY's music.......who gives a flying fuck if I like great white hope better than any damn DDY song?????? why does it bother you? can't we all just like this band for whatever fucking reasons that click for each one of us?

I will stand up and say that DDY is a better writer, better singer, better money maker because of the hits he wrote, maybe even better musician........BUT, I still like some of JY's songs as good if not better than anything DDY ever did. it's just that simple. that's no slam on DDY or artificial praise for JY, it's just how I feel......Hell, the truth is I like Tommy's stuff best of all.


Please define "MANY FANS" - the 15 bathwater drinkers on this board? Hardly a representative sample.

As far as JY, people may like and respect him more if he wasn't such an asshole.


my statement of "many" is as valid as your claim of 1 in 200 recognizing the songs you mention......in reality I would say if you just randomly stopped people on the street the number would be actually be worse than 1 in 200.......playing some non hit from an album released over 30 years ago you would be lucky to have 1 in 300 recognize it.

and while you would have PLENTY recognize Lady or come sail away or fooling yourself......you would probably be surprised how few in 200 would "know" that it was styx. they would be guessing boston, journey, cheap trick, foreigner, reo and on and on.

to me MANY represents the many musicians and classmates, friends and general music oriented people I have been around over the years. I know at least 5 different musicians ranging in age from 35 to 67 that have been in bands that have covered miss america but none of those bands covered babe or dont let it end. I'm just saying from a musicians standpoint, songs like miss america, blue collar man, queen of spades and renegade are a whole lot more interesting and fun to play than songs like babe or first time.

and yes you know you are right.....maybe more people would respect JY if he came across a little less arrogant....evne as much as I like JY, he certainly is full of himself, but that doesnt change how I feel about his contributions to the band I love. but it's ok, I just see as being more important than you do, mostly because I like the things he brought to the band a whole more than you and thats why I like him more.
masque
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 15, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm surprised nobody has talked about the absence of CP from this interview. After all, he is a founding member and has been there from the start.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby StyxGuy » Tue May 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Boomchild wrote:I'm surprised nobody has talked about the absence of CP from this interview. After all, he is a founding member and has been there from the start.


I kind of accepted it that he just didn't do those kinds of things anymore. Tommy and JY typically cover Styx interviews (Chuck does interviews, but it's usually more about him than Styx itself)

Remember... Chuck is 'retired' from Styx, Tommy and JY have full control of the band and he is completely happy with that.

Would have preferred him over Larry though... maybe Chuck, Tommy and Larry would have been better :P
StyxGuy
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 am

StyxGuy wrote:
Boomchild wrote:I'm surprised nobody has talked about the absence of CP from this interview. After all, he is a founding member and has been there from the start.


I kind of accepted it that he just didn't do those kinds of things anymore. Tommy and JY typically cover Styx interviews (Chuck does interviews, but it's usually more about him than Styx itself)

Remember... Chuck is 'retired' from Styx, Tommy and JY have full control of the band and he is completely happy with that.

Would have preferred him over Larry though... maybe Chuck, Tommy and Larry would have been better :P


While that may be the case we are talking about an interview with DAN RATHER discussing the legacy of Styx. I could see the point when your talking about less prominent interviews, but this high profile one??
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby gr8dane » Wed May 16, 2018 1:42 am

Boomchild wrote:
StyxGuy wrote:
Boomchild wrote:I'm surprised nobody has talked about the absence of CP from this interview. After all, he is a founding member and has been there from the start.


I kind of accepted it that he just didn't do those kinds of things anymore. Tommy and JY typically cover Styx interviews (Chuck does interviews, but it's usually more about him than Styx itself)

Remember... Chuck is 'retired' from Styx, Tommy and JY have full control of the band and he is completely happy with that.

Would have preferred him over Larry though... maybe Chuck, Tommy and Larry would have been better :P


While that may be the case we are talking about an interview with DAN RATHER discussing the legacy of Styx. I could see the point when your talking about less prominent interviews, but this high profile one??


I guess he is what you would call a silent partner.
Chuck never seem to be the chatty type.Was he ever really doing interviews that much ??
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2599
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Abitaman » Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 pm

StyxGuy wrote:
Toph wrote:
StyxGuy wrote:"I've forgiven Dennis for everything he's done I feel that was not right and wish him the best, *clenches his eyes* he's a really talented guy, I have no desire to work with him again"

Oh poor JY..... always the victim.


JY = No talent Shit Head



I mean Miss America was a great JY song.... Honestly though, most of his songs aren't nearly the quality or calibre of Dennis or Tommy's hits.


I agree, but people limit JY to Miss America. He has had some really good songs that were never released as a single
1) Witch Wolf
2) Young Man
3) Man of Miracles
4) Midnight Ride
5) Miss America
6) Half Penny
7) These are the Times

Granted they get no airplay, but airplay doesn't mean it is good or bad. I have seen some crappy songs in the top 10. But JY's talent is not that if DDY or TS. But if I wrote any of those songs I would be happy.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4641
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby yogi » Fri May 18, 2018 10:22 pm

Young Man is my favorite JY song and in my top 5 from the Wooden Nickel era. GREAT song!
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Toph » Sun May 20, 2018 12:52 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
I wouldn’t call it minimal.


Unless you have facts that contradict my opinion, I'll stick to it. Also, you have repeatedly gone out of your way to let everyone here know how unprofitable Styx's current tours are. If that is the case, then that would not fair well for DDY.


I do have facts, but am not at liberty to disclose them. I will just say that DDY gets a check in the mail every time they put on a show.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Sun May 20, 2018 7:29 am

Toph wrote:I do have facts, but am not at liberty to disclose them. I will just say that DDY gets a check in the mail every time they put on a show.


This again? Please. It's BULLSHIT. Even if it was true and said person read what you have posted in this forum surely they would stop giving you "insider information".
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Toph » Sun May 20, 2018 11:44 am

Not Bullshit, my little friend. You're a pathetic little fan. You haven't a clue.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Sun May 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Toph wrote:Not Bullshit, my little friend. You're a pathetic little fan. You haven't a clue.


Here we go again. Remember the last time you made this claim and were pressed by several people to prove it? You ran off with your tail between your legs swearing you were done with this forum. If you can't supply the facts to prove your claim, your position is worthless.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby masque » Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 pm

JY = No talent Shit Head[/quote]


I mean Miss America was a great JY song.... Honestly though, most of his songs aren't nearly the quality or calibre of Dennis or Tommy's hits.[/quote]

I agree, but people limit JY to Miss America. He has had some really good songs that were never released as a single
1) Witch Wolf
2) Young Man
3) Man of Miracles
4) Midnight Ride
5) Miss America
6) Half Penny
7) These are the Times

Granted they get no airplay, but airplay doesn't mean it is good or bad. I have seen some crappy songs in the top 10. But JY's talent is not that if DDY or TS. But if I wrote any of those songs I would be happy.[/quote]

I would add;

great white hope (maybe the best JY song ever)
put me on
double life
masque
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Abitaman » Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 pm

masque wrote:JY = No talent Shit Head



I mean Miss America was a great JY song.... Honestly though, most of his songs aren't nearly the quality or calibre of Dennis or Tommy's hits.[/quote]

I agree, but people limit JY to Miss America. He has had some really good songs that were never released as a single
1) Witch Wolf
2) Young Man
3) Man of Miracles
4) Midnight Ride
5) Miss America
6) Half Penny
7) These are the Times

Granted they get no airplay, but airplay doesn't mean it is good or bad. I have seen some crappy songs in the top 10. But JY's talent is not that if DDY or TS. But if I wrote any of those songs I would be happy.[/quote]

I would add;

great white hope (maybe the best JY song ever)
put me on
double life[/quote]

I really lik Double Lifee and Great White Hope....but Put Me On, just gets under my skin.. I don't why, it has a lot of the classic Styx elements in it. Seemed like a missed opportunity.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4641
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Toph » Tue May 22, 2018 10:21 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:Not Bullshit, my little friend. You're a pathetic little fan. You haven't a clue.


Here we go again. Remember the last time you made this claim and were pressed by several people to prove it? You ran off with your tail between your legs swearing you were done with this forum. If you can't supply the facts to prove your claim, your position is worthless.


As I've said numerous times, I don't need to defend my background, experience, and who I know to some fanatic who is clueless. So I'll choose what and when I will share what I want to share. But I don't owe you shit.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 22, 2018 10:49 am

Toph wrote:As I've said numerous times, I don't need to defend my background, experience, and who I know to some fanatic who is clueless. So I'll choose what and when I will share what I want to share. But I don't owe you shit.


This claim of yours is just as pathetic now as it was before. One of the clear signs that your claim is complete BS is your shift to character assassination to deflect from the subject. You have nothing to "share" to prove your point9s). I will repeat, if you can't supply facts to back up your statements, then your statement holds no weight. There have been others here that have known people that are close to Styx and or it's members and have freely shared who their contacts are. You however want to play secret squirrel. NO ONE HERE BELIEVES YOU.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Toph » Wed May 23, 2018 2:50 am

I don't really care. (And yes, based on some private IMs I've had with some people, there are plenty that believe me). Go live in your fanboy ignorance.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby yogi » Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 am

Sorry Boom I'm with Toph on this one.

He PM DDY's drivers name, he knew about JY's club foot surgery, also the name of DDY's barber, and food tester( which he does from time to time). He knows Tommy's dealer, helped name Todd's baby, wrote Chuck's script for an AIDS speech, steered Glen towards the Beatles and tried to get Ricky hooked back up with Jon Waite.

Toph has more love for DDY than Fox has for Trump. He will take a bullet for Dennis and by proving so to the DeYoungs, he is now a trusted member of Dennis's inner circle.

Finally at parties hes been known to sing My god Can Beat Up Your god........................ backwards.

Never EVER a doubt!
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby masque » Wed May 23, 2018 5:04 am

Toph I would love it if you actually did validate how and why we should believe what you say to be factual. You have to understand that your combative tone, and unwillingness to substantiate any of your claims that are "factual" casts doubt upon your position......that is only human nature of those listening to your claims.

Honestly, many times, you come across like you are a family member of the DeYoung's because of how defensive you get on DDY's behalf, when people disagree with nearly anything you say about any of this stuff. Perhaps you are a protective family member.

But in all honestly, if you were a family member then I don't see why it would be a big deal to come clean about that, unless revealing your family ties would actually be embarrassing to you or DDY himself because of some of the things you have said on this board over the years.

Hell for all I know you may actually be DDY himself, posing as this guy Toph to unleash all of your pent up feelings towards JY and Tommy......lol

Then again you could simply juts be trolling everyone and get a huge kick out of riling up some folks from time to time with your dogmatic positions and statements. I'm sure it is rewarding and comical at times to see how fired up you get everyone.

Therefore, as much as I wish it were true, that you were indeed some kind of insider, my gut tells me that because of your unwillingness to back up any of your claims, that it is much more likely you are just another dude sitting around in his shit stained underwear posting stuff on this message board thinking to yourself "watch this, this will really get them riled up today". lol

either way Toph, overall, I am actually glad you are here......whether you are legit or a troll, you make my visits to this message board more comical at the very least.
masque
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: The Big Interview W/Dan Rather

Postby Boomchild » Wed May 23, 2018 10:10 am

masque wrote:Toph I would love it if you actually did validate how and why we should believe what you say to be factual. You have to understand that your combative tone, and unwillingness to substantiate any of your claims that are "factual" casts doubt upon your position......that is only human nature of those listening to your claims.


Not only this but he defies logic and common sense.

masque wrote:Honestly, many times, you come across like you are a family member of the DeYoung's because of how defensive you get on DDY's behalf, when people disagree with nearly anything you say about any of this stuff. Perhaps you are a protective family member.

But in all honestly, if you were a family member then I don't see why it would be a big deal to come clean about that, unless revealing your family ties would actually be embarrassing to you or DDY himself because of some of the things you have said on this board over the years.

Hell for all I know you may actually be DDY himself, posing as this guy Toph to unleash all of your pent up feelings towards JY and Tommy......lol


I seriously doubt DDY would take the time to comment here. If he would, it would be a said state of affairs. I highly doubt DDY or anyone connected with him would pass information onto someone like Toph. Especially with how he does character assassinations on TS and JY. I believe that neither DDY or someone in his "inner circle" would associate with a person like that. Sure DDY may have hurt feelings towards TS and JY but, I doubt he would hold an opinion of them like Toph does.

masque wrote:Then again you could simply juts be trolling everyone and get a huge kick out of riling up some folks from time to time with your dogmatic positions and statements. I'm sure it is rewarding and comical at times to see how fired up you get everyone.


Ding! Ding! Ding!
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

PreviousNext

Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest