Jonathan Cain's New Memoir: 10 Things We Learned

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Jonathan Cain's New Memoir: 10 Things We Learned

Postby steveo777 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 am

brywool wrote:Baruck was a DICK to Arnel after the Chile show. "I was livid"?? SCREW YOU, Baruck. Arnel Pineda just pulled YOUR ACT out of the frigging GRAVE and the people of Chile loved him AND Journey. You shoulda kissed his ass and you should be now. Wow, what a creep that guy is."He threatened to go home as he probably did after every day of the tour" - what a crappy thing to say about the guy that just saved your paycheck. Baruck should be grateful to Pineda because he still has a job and he shouldn't be airing things like that to the general public. Keep it between you, Arnel, and Journey. I knew I didn't like him before when I saw him do that on film, now that he's out there yacking about it makes me hate him more. "We don't do that" - BS. First of all "We"?? - you're a manager. You're not a performer. Steve Perry ALWAYS looked like a hyperactive kid out there and ran around everywhere. Just because Augeri was more sedate didn't mean Arnel had to be. If the manager wants to be the front guy, push his ass out on stage. Wow. Whatta jerk.

The comments about JSS using a device... I don't believe that in the least. You'd hear it. If there was some deception (there wasn't, obviously) - why would Baruck put that out there for public knowledge? That's obviously not something that anybody in the band would be happy for the public to know. Potentially damaging to JSS's reputation as well.

Man, if I was Neal, I would've been looking into a new manager immediately after that interview. This guy is someone that can't be trusted.

I could have sworn that it was John Toomey, not Baruck, who was the dick to Arnel. Is Cain sure he's got the right guy on this? Anyone else seem to remember this?
steveo777
MP3

Postby brywool » Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 am

steveo777 wrote:
I could have sworn that it was John Toomey, not Baruck, who was the dick to Arnel. Is Cain sure he's got the right guy on this? Anyone else seem to remember this?

I thought the guy in the film was Baruck.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat May 19, 2018 8:06 am

steveo777 wrote:
brywool wrote:Baruck was a DICK to Arnel after the Chile show. "I was livid"?? SCREW YOU, Baruck. Arnel Pineda just pulled YOUR ACT out of the frigging GRAVE and the people of Chile loved him AND Journey. You shoulda kissed his ass and you should be now. Wow, what a creep that guy is."He threatened to go home as he probably did after every day of the tour" - what a crappy thing to say about the guy that just saved your paycheck. Baruck should be grateful to Pineda because he still has a job and he shouldn't be airing things like that to the general public. Keep it between you, Arnel, and Journey. I knew I didn't like him before when I saw him do that on film, now that he's out there yacking about it makes me hate him more. "We don't do that" - BS. First of all "We"?? - you're a manager. You're not a performer. Steve Perry ALWAYS looked like a hyperactive kid out there and ran around everywhere. Just because Augeri was more sedate didn't mean Arnel had to be. If the manager wants to be the front guy, push his ass out on stage. Wow. Whatta jerk.

The comments about JSS using a device... I don't believe that in the least. You'd hear it. If there was some deception (there wasn't, obviously) - why would Baruck put that out there for public knowledge? That's obviously not something that anybody in the band would be happy for the public to know. Potentially damaging to JSS's reputation as well.

Man, if I was Neal, I would've been looking into a new manager immediately after that interview. This guy is someone that can't be trusted.

Brywool is talking about a Baruck interview posted in this thread. Not Cain's book.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby ebake02 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:57 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:I'm curious to see if Cain mentions Chalfant or Augeri at all in the book.

Cain speaks lovingly about Augeri in the book.

Nice. I was hoping that would be the case. Thanks.

Not the biggest fan of Sherrie Swafford though, he sorts of paints her as Journey’s Yoko Ono.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby BRETT5150 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:30 pm

I will wait til the book comes out and hear the reviews. If its mostly about religion im not interested.
What is understood need not be discussed
BRETT5150
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon May 21, 2018 9:17 pm

BRETT5150 wrote:I will wait til the book comes out and hear the reviews. If its mostly about religion im not interested.

It's out.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby ScarabFan » Mon May 21, 2018 10:52 pm

BRETT5150 wrote:I will wait til the book comes out and hear the reviews. If its mostly about religion im not interested.

I had the same concern, but I am currently halfway through it and I have really enjoyed it so far.
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Postby marco17 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:11 am

I just saw on Cain's twitter that autographed copies of the book are for sale at the merch tables at their shows. I wonder if Neal is okay with this, since he seems to hate anything promotional that doesn't include him. :lol:
marco17
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:28 am

marco17 wrote:I just saw on Cain's twitter that autographed copies of the book are for sale at the merch tables at their shows. I wonder if Neal is okay with this, since he seems to hate anything promotional that doesn't include him. :lol:

Seems Smitty is selling his drumming books also at the merch tables.
And can't remember which other one was selling something from their
clothing line or is about to start.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby marco17 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:55 am

tater1977 wrote:
marco17 wrote:I just saw on Cain's twitter that autographed copies of the book are for sale at the merch tables at their shows. I wonder if Neal is okay with this, since he seems to hate anything promotional that doesn't include him. :lol:

Seems Smitty is selling his drumming books also at the merch tables.
And can't remember which other one was selling something from their
clothing line or is about to start.

That's cool. I was sorta being a smart a$$ about the whole thing.
marco17
8 Track

Postby lparn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Watching Jon on 700 club
Interesting
His album drops 6/8/18
lparn
45 RPM

Postby annie89509 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:47 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:Ah, so you are saying SP could see into the future, and know that he would need hip surgery, and thus have to take some unexpected time off.

By the time of TBF, Perry had left Journey hanging since 1986.

perryfan61 wrote:If it wasn't productive, it also wasn't his fault. And after all, we did get a new album out of the deal.

Journey was already re-forming with Gregg and Kevin when Perry came back. Perry's return was a waste of time.

If Journey were to re-form, it had to be with SP. Nobody wants to see Gregg and Kevin, and the label knows that.

When Steve got stricken with bronchitis, the FTLOSM tour got derailed. Sony took this opportunity to step in and pushed for a Journey reunion featuring the legacy lineup, dangling all kinds of bait, seeing big $$’s for everybody.

The SM drummer (Moises Lucas) said Sony offered to release several more SM singles if SP would call Neal and Jon. Steve had told him he was coming back to the SM band and resume touring with them “after the Journey project is over.”

What played out is what we got.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby annie89509 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:53 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:I'm sorry, but an album with Gregg and Kevin would not have been near as good as the one we got with Perry, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. With him out of the writing mix, it would have been OK, but that's it.

I don't consider that album to be "a waste of time", by any means.

It was a comeback album. The plan was to tour. Not to go back into hibernation.

The plan was to write and record new material during their Vegas stint last year, but that apparently didn't happen either.
It's easy for all of us to criticize events after the fact…but the outcome of the 'cancelled' tours were probably not as predetermined as history makes it sound.

Agreed. It's unfair to say SP "quitted" on any of these Tours, with no consideration for circumstances.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:02 am

annie89509 wrote:If Journey were to re-form, it had to be with SP. Nobody wants to see Gregg and Kevin, and the label knows that.

Really? For nearly 20 years now concertgoers have been coming to see the band WITHOUT SP.
TBF just kicked the can a little further down the road.

annie89509 wrote:When Steve got stricken with bronchitis, the FTLOSM tour got derailed. Sony took this opportunity to step in and pushed for a Journey reunion featuring the legacy lineup, dangling all kinds of bait, seeing big $$’s for everybody.

The SM drummer (Moises Lucas) said Sony offered to release several more SM singles if SP would call Neal and Jon. Steve had told him he was coming back to the SM band and resume touring with them “after the Journey project is over.”

I've heard this version of events. As with everything Journey, I'm sure there is SP's side, the band's side, and the truth.

annie89509 wrote:What played out is what we got.

1 new SP-fronted Journey album since 1986. No tours. No nothing. What a track record! :roll:
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tj » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 pm

I haven't read Jon's book yet, but just finished Don Felder's Heaven and Hell. It's a decent read. He spends a lot of the book talking about his time before the Eagles and how he taught Tom Petty to play guitar, was in a band in high school with Stephen Stills, played with Crosby/Nash, and a lot of other people before he joined the Eagles.

His story in the Eagles is pretty much what is public knowledge anyway. A lot of drugs and arguments. He spends a lot of time on his marriage and the difficulty of making life on the road work with family. Has a lot of good things to say about the other members' talent, but hammers Frey/Henley/Azoff for the financials and kicking him out of the band. Calls Frey/Henley "the Gods". Talks about Walsh's excess in partying, destroying hotels, etc.

Overall, worth the time and money, but nothing earth shattering. Probably similar to the stories of a lot of bands.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:58 am

tater1977 wrote:"Initially, the thought of Arnel singing with us made me hesitant," he writes, "wondering what our fans in places like Raleigh, North Carolina, and regions in the middle of Texas might think. I feared the twisted mentality that went, 'That's no Steve Perry – he's Asian.'"

Of all the places Journey tours, why call out Raleigh, NC as a place that would potentially not like Arnel because of his nationality?

Cain, you are a registered dumbass, with papers, if you think that was ever going to be an issue here, in one of the most diverse areas in the country.

You might want to call out a much less diverse area in a state you probably think isn't "like the South"....like Pittsburgh.

Except you're too dumb to know that, you just went with somewhere in the South "because it must be racist there".
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby ScarabFan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:07 pm

It will be $3.99 on Amazon tomorrow only for those interested.
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Postby JohnH » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 am

I enjoyed the book. I kind of dreaded getting it at first, I didn’t want to read page after page of “ And then god told me to join Journey” “ And then God told me to write Don’t Stop Believing”. Thankfully only the last few pages gets into that. It’s a good read. It’s not a religious book . Bummed I missed his LA Barnes and Noble appearance- didn’t know about it in time. I heard there were not a lot of people there also and Jon was cool.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:44 am

Pacfanweb wrote:
tater1977 wrote:"Initially, the thought of Arnel singing with us made me hesitant," he writes, "wondering what our fans in places like Raleigh, North Carolina, and regions in the middle of Texas might think. I feared the twisted mentality that went, 'That's no Steve Perry – he's Asian.'"

Of all the places Journey tours, why call out Raleigh, NC as a place that would potentially not like Arnel because of his nationality?

Cain, you are a registered dumbass, with papers, if you think that was ever going to be an issue here, in one of the most diverse areas in the country.

You might want to call out a much less diverse area in a state you probably think isn't "like the South"....like Pittsburgh.

Except you're too dumb to know that, you just went with somewhere in the South "because it must be racist there".

Ironically, Arnel would suffer more racism in Japan, China and South Korea because he was born and raised in the Philippines. You do not know racism until you go to Asia. The Japanese, Chinese and Koreans all think they are superior to each other.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby brywool » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:27 am

tj wrote:
Overall, worth the time and money, but nothing earth shattering. Probably similar to the stories of a lot of bands.

Was disappointed in Walsh in that book. Basically taking covering his own a** and leaving Felder to fend for himself.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Previous

Return to Journey