THE MISSION

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

THE MISSION

Postby epresley » Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 am

Much to my surprise, this album has really grown on me! I had dismissed it pretty quickly after buying, but have recently been spinning it on the way to work and back. There are some excellent tunes, damn good playing, and (at times) thought provoking lyrics. The space premise was kind of a turn off originally, but it has grown on me as well. Tommy's voice is still excellent, though Lawrence's had never really done much for me, but the rich harmonies are all Styx. Tommy and JY both deliver some great riffs. At any rate, wonder what y'all think?
It's not a lie, if you believe it..........
epresley
Cassette Tape

Re: THE MISSION

Postby StyxGuy » Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 am

I'm very happy with it. It's nothing like Cyclorama which I didn't enjoy much at all.

I've been entering these Tunespeak contests since last year, one of the ways to gain entries is to listen to The Mission, so I've played it plenty of times now.

I quite enjoy Gone Gone Gone.. the tag line "Light it up let's get this show on the road" is great!
I really like The Outpost, it's the music, the vocals and the lyrics that all seem to come together on it.

Time May Bend and Radio Silence are there up for me.

I find Trouble at the Big Show has grown on me but I don't really like JY's singing on it. Heavy Water was the last good song he sang on :P

and of course the intro and outro are good little pieces :P
Last edited by StyxGuy on Tue May 15, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
StyxGuy
Ol' 78

Postby epresley » Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 am

I agree, I think JY's tune is about the weakest, but I've never been that big of a fan of his voice. It's fine with me that they limit his lead vocal input to one song an album. Anyway, I'd love to hear some of these new tunes live, as the last time I saw them was pre-Mission.
It's not a lie, if you believe it..........
epresley
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 am

epresley wrote:I agree, I think JY's tune is about the weakest, but I've never been that big of a fan of his voice. It's fine with me that they limit his lead vocal input to one song an album. Anyway, I'd love to hear some of these new tunes live, as the last time I saw them was pre-Mission.

JY got a writing credit for the song, but Tommy and Evankovich also have credits.

Taking a look at their sets from the current tour...

a 14 song show includes Gone Gone Gone, Radio Silence and Khedive
a 23 song show includes Gone Gone Gone, Radio Silence, Locomotive, Khedive and The Outpost
StyxGuy
Ol' 78

Postby Abitaman » Fri May 18, 2018 6:50 pm

IMO, the last good song JY did was These Are the Times.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby masque » Fri May 18, 2018 10:45 pm

I truly LOVE the mission.......regardless of what band it is, i think the album is stellar and I listen to it on a regular basis.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Sun May 20, 2018 12:49 am

epresley wrote:Much to my surprise, this album has really grown on me! I had dismissed it pretty quickly after buying, but have recently been spinning it on the way to work and back. There are some excellent tunes, damn good playing, and (at times) thought provoking lyrics. The space premise was kind of a turn off originally, but it has grown on me as well. Tommy's voice is still excellent, though Lawrence's had never really done much for me, but the rich harmonies are all Styx. Tommy and JY both deliver some great riffs. At any rate, wonder what y'all think?

I listened to it the first month after it came out pretty frequently, but it didn't have staying power with me at all. Not enough ear bugs for me.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sun May 20, 2018 12:50 am

Abitaman wrote:IMO, the last good song JY did was These Are the Times.

JY's last good song was "Double Life"
Toph
Stereo LP

Return to Styx