Def Leppard & Journey Bring Rock n Roll Revelry to New York

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Def Leppard & Journey Bring Rock n Roll Revelry to New York

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am

Def Leppard & Journey Bring Rock 'n' Roll Revelry to New York's Madison Square Garden
6/14/2018 by Katy Kroll

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... how-review

Def Leppard is 40 years deep into their career -- and, even more unbelievably, three decades have passed since they released their landmark Hysteria album, which topped the Billboard 200 and spawned the megahits “Pour Some Sugar on Me” and “Love Bites.” And when it comes to hitting the road, the British rock band has yet to slow down. They’ve been consistently touring since their debut album, On Through the Night, was released in 1980, barely skipping a year to take a breather.

And this year is no exception: In May, the band began a months-long co-headlining tour with Journey, whom they went out with once before back in 2006. On this trek, the groups rotate who closes the show each night -- and, thankfully, luck of the draw had Def Leppard going on last at New York’s Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night.

Journey made a good opening act, but they just don’t have the headlining prowess as Def Leppard. A contributing factor could be the absence of original singer Steve Perry, who exited the band in 1998. For the past 10 years, Filipino frontman Arnel Pineda -- who was discovered after uploading Journey cover songs to YouTube -- has been on vocal duty, doing his best Perry impression.

If you close your eyes, he sounds a lot like the former lead singer, whose smooth, soaring voice made songs like “Don’t Stop Believin’” and “Open Arms” classics. But his hyper stage antics don’t quite jell with the mellow mood of the rest of the musicians, which include founding members Neal Schon on guitar and Ross Valory on bass.

Still, it was fun to hear ’80s anthems like “Any Way You Want It,” “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)” and “Faithfully” performed live in an arena. Of course, the highlight of the 90-minute set was the show-stopping, confetti-filled rendition of “Don’t Stop Believin’,” which gained new life since its 1981 release after being prominently featured in the series finale of The Sopranos in 2007 and in the series premiere of Glee two years later.

But the main attraction of the night was Def Leppard, who came out swinging with “Rocket” and performed nothing but the hits during their 90-minute set that kept the crowd on its feet. In a welcome nod to ’80s excess, there were giant video screens, elaborate lights and lasers, and even some eye-catching outfits (bassist Rick Savage almost stole the show by wearing a pastel pink tuxedo with sequined accessories while drummer Rick Allen sported a bedazzled British flag shirt).

Age has not slowed these guys down one bit -- they worked the stage like the pros that they are -- but time has made singer Joe Elliott and his fellow bandmates’ vocals a bit grizzled. However, a few rejiggered high notes here and there -- most notably on “Let’s Get Rocked” and “Armageddon It” -- didn’t deter from the raise-your-glass revelry of the night, and Elliott’s raspier voice actually added some charm to their cover of David Essex’s “Rock On.”

While their rafter-rattling equivalent to Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” is the cheeky “Pour Some Sugar on Me,” the band aptly ended the night with some popular pre-Hysteria fare (“Rock of Ages” and “Photograph”). So if it’s deep cuts you’re looking for, you’ll have to look elsewhere -- Def Leppard has nicely settled into the proverbial sweet spot of delivering nothing but the hits, and for most of us, that equals a rockin’ good time.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Def Leppard & Journey Bring Rock n Roll Revelry to New Y

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 am

Steve Perry wasn't the original singer. That would be Mr. Gregg Rolie. But at least this article mentioned Ross as original member.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:14 am

Arnel was in fine form at MSG. Voice is in great shape.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 am

FamilyMan wrote:Arnel was in fine form at MSG. Voice is in great shape.

Thanks for the review, Family Man. How was Def?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:27 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:Arnel was in fine form at MSG. Voice is in great shape.

Thanks for the review, Family Man. How was Def?

My love of Journey has been documented here many times. But I have to say - Def Leppard blew the doors off the place. Maybe it's because they were the headliner that night - and thus were the beneficiaries of the better production design (not sure how the shows/sets look different when Journey headlines). While Journey's mix was muddy, Def Lep's was clean and pristine. Joe Eillot did a lot of talking between songs, declaring to the audience that it was the band's first time playing MSG. "It's about f***ing time," he said to rousing applause. Compared to the predictably muted expressions that we see on the faces of our Journey boys when they perform, Def Lep's band members had wide-eyed grins the whole night - especially Rick Allen, who seemed to be having the time of his life. For one night, with an arena packed and pumped, it was 1987 all over again.
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby tedpruitt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 am

FamilyMan wrote:My love of Journey has been documented here many times. But I have to say - Def Leppard blew the doors off the place. Maybe it's because they were the headliner that night - and thus were the beneficiaries of the better production design (not sure how the shows/sets look different when Journey headlines). While Journey's mix was muddy, Def Lep's was clean and pristine. Joe Eillot did a lot of talking between songs, declaring to the audience that it was the band's first time playing MSG. "It's about f***ing time," he said to rousing applause. Compared to the predictably muted expressions that we see on the faces of our Journey boys when they perform, Def Lep's band members had wide-eyed grins the whole night - especially Rick Allen, who seemed to be having the time of his life. For one night, with an arena packed and pumped, it was 1987 all over again.

FamilyMan's review seems to be a recurring theme. When I saw them last year in an amphitheater setting, it was the same story. Muddy, muddy, muddy. WAY too much use of tired sounding effects (over the top echo, way too thick reverb---probably, partially to help out Arnel who, at the time, was pretty road worn.) and I made several comments about it in a review I did at the time. Obviously, noone is taking notice in the Journey camp. There used to be a few stories around these boards talking about how SP would go out into the venue and check the sound with a wireless mic and instruct the sound engineers on tweaking the mix. I'm guess that isn't happening any longer. Really too bad - Journey used to be the watermark for live sound. But whomever is running their sound now either has their hands tied by band involvement or just plain doesn't know what he/she is doing.
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:32 am

tedpruitt wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:My love of Journey has been documented here many times. But I have to say - Def Leppard blew the doors off the place. Maybe it's because they were the headliner that night - and thus were the beneficiaries of the better production design (not sure how the shows/sets look different when Journey headlines). While Journey's mix was muddy, Def Lep's was clean and pristine. Joe Eillot did a lot of talking between songs, declaring to the audience that it was the band's first time playing MSG. "It's about f***ing time," he said to rousing applause. Compared to the predictably muted expressions that we see on the faces of our Journey boys when they perform, Def Lep's band members had wide-eyed grins the whole night - especially Rick Allen, who seemed to be having the time of his life. For one night, with an arena packed and pumped, it was 1987 all over again.

FamilyMan's review seems to be a recurring theme. When I saw them last year in an amphitheater setting, it was the same story. Muddy, muddy, muddy. WAY too much use of tired sounding effects (over the top echo, way too thick reverb---probably, partially to help out Arnel who, at the time, was pretty road worn.) and I made several comments about it in a review I did at the time. Obviously, noone is taking notice in the Journey camp. There used to be a few stories around these boards talking about how SP would go out into the venue and check the sound with a wireless mic and instruct the sound engineers on tweaking the mix. I'm guess that isn't happening any longer. Really too bad - Journey used to be the watermark for live sound. But whomever is running their sound now either has their hands tied by band involvement or just plain doesn't know what he/she is doing.

I'd love to hear from those who have seen Journey headline on this tour. The sound crews usually defer to the headliner when they sound check, leaving the support act to settle for a less-than-optimal mix. You're right about the reverb, though. Arnel's not Robert Plant. He doesn't need it.
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am

Last time I saw them was on the Eclipse tour. I was front row. Foreigner had crystal clear sound. Journey was a compressed distorted mess.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Journey