'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Abitaman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:32 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Shazam! shows how DC films can readjust without having to reboot
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... zilla/amp/

I do not mind a slight re-adjustment. But each hero or villain should be used for what best fits him or her. I DO NOT want DC movies to become like Marvel movies. Marvel kills the momentum of the scene at times with the humor. With Shazam that would be ok. I could see fish out of water jokes with Aquaman, but it doesn't need to be the trend in an Aquaman movie. I would expect a Batman movie to be dark. Marvel's take is one mood fits all. DC mood needs to fit the person.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Abitaman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:34 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I do worry about Henry though. As a fan who wants to see more of him as Superman and get the right team around him, I'm very uncomfortable.

Henry is a great Superman. He needs a new Superman movie. I would love to see him be the connecting factor through out the DC movies. His death and rebirth being the glue to inspire new heores.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:37 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:It would be a shame to replace Affleck already. But I can understand if Reeves wants to start fresh or do a younger Batman.

I could see that too. Ben should should stay on a play the older hero, recast for younger stories. Doubt that will happen.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:55 am

Abitaman wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Shazam! shows how DC films can readjust without having to reboot

I do not mind a slight re-adjustment. But each hero or villain should be used for what best fits him or her. I DO NOT want DC movies to become like Marvel movies. Marvel kills the momentum of the scene at times with the humor. With Shazam that would be ok. I could see fish out of water jokes with Aquaman, but it doesn't need to be the trend in an Aquaman movie. I would expect a Batman movie to be dark. Marvel's take is one mood fits all. DC mood needs to fit the person.

You said it, bruh. That's why The Winter Soldier, the Russos' first, remains their best movie. Plus, it has the best instance of humor in any of their movies: When Falcon grabs Cap and then drops him, he lands and goes "You're heavier than you look." Chris Evans' response is a perfectly deadpan comeback: "I had a big breakfast." And they go right back into the action. It isn't a Hoo! Hah! moment where the camera freezes on Downey or Holland so the audience can get fish-slapped with the joke.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:10 am

Abitaman wrote:

Right on. DC Films aren't going to be as one-note. They won't be a one trick pony. They will be more versatile where their brand will split into two factions of films where they can do a more continuity setting versus an Elseworld's 'go for broke' setting with directors and actors that would want to join a noir film franchise. The DC Umbrella will branch out and create its own genre depending on the respective character, as you said. It's going to be interesting to see how Phenoix's 'The Joker' film will do that could pave the way to some interesting teammups and unpredictable collaborations and stories. The DC comic book world is a beast and pretty magical and it looks like their new brand is going to stick to what they do best within the DC Multiverse.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:21 am

Abitaman wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:I do worry about Henry though. As a fan who wants to see more of him as Superman and get the right team around him, I'm very uncomfortable.

Henry is a great Superman. He needs a new Superman movie. I would love to see him be the connecting factor through out the DC movies. His death and rebirth being the glue to inspire new heores.

That's essentially what WB has in mind for Superman but nothing can be greenlit until Henry and WB reach a new contract so the future of Superman is up in the air until that's settled. If Cavill re-ups, they'll fast track Superman cameo's in future films including a new Superman movie. If McQuarrie is indeed a part of the deal, he is known to work fast and I could see the next Superman film be released in 2020/2021 with cameo's in between. If they choose to more on from Henry, they will probably shelve Superman for a few years and reboot once the new brand is flat on its feet and hitting the ground running. Right now, Walter Hamada is steering a tight ship so we'll see what Aquaman, Shazam! and WW84 has in store and go from there.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:26 am

Abitaman wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:It would be a shame to replace Affleck already. But I can understand if Reeves wants to start fresh or do a younger Batman.

I could see that too. Ben should should stay on a play the older hero, recast for younger stories. Doubt that will happen.

Yeah, speculation is going on that Affleck could act as bookends for Reeves' Trilogy, which means the first 2 films could focus on a younger/prequeled Batman set in the DC Universe before the events in Man of Steel and Affleck could return for the third and final film as the modern day Batman. We'll see. It's still early but it's good Reeves is starting to talk more about it. He's working on the script now and confirmed he'll be turning in a draft in two weeks.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:27 am

The Flash is reportedly to begin production in 2019 where a release date in 2020 is possible, as the directors spoke of a few months ago.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:26 am

And now this. Wow.

‘Supergirl’ Movie On Drawing Board For Warner Bros/DC; Oren Uziel Scripting

EXCLUSIVE:
Warner Bros and DC are developing a feature film based around Supergirl, the heroine and cousin of Superman. Oren Uziel is working on the script, I’ve confirmed. Not a lot more is being divulged at this point, and it comes as a surprise considering most internet chatter has been based on what will next happen for Superman, who after the 2013 film Man of Steel, was conscripted to become key to the plots of Batman V Superman, and more recently Justice League.

There is no producer on Supergirl at this point. According to DC mythology, the character was a teen when she escaped the doomed planet Krypton along with the infant who grew up as Clark Kent. Supergirl has been played by Melissa Benoist in the Greg Berlanti/Andrew Kreisberg/Allison Adler Warner Bros series creation that heads into Season Four on the CW.

It is unclear whether Superman will appear in this but if the rumors are true that Warner Bros and DC Entertainment are looking to create a new template for future Superman movies, this would seem a likely place to hatch a new persona. Henry Cavill, coming off a terrific turn opposite Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible – Fallout, has played the stoic Man of Steel in the movies so far.

The move toward Supergirl is reflective of a change in focus at the studio, where the superhero effort is now headed by Walter Hamada, who shepherded many of New Line’s genre film hits before moving over when the entire DC braintrust was dismantled after the lackluster Justice League, which grossed $615 million worldwide on a reported $300 million budget.

Finding a different way back to the Superman universe through Supergirl reflects the differing mindset of DC priority titles to be a bit out of the box, and away from a slate which, with the notable exception of the Patty Jenkins-directed Wonder Woman, has resulted in too many films that have been leaden, dark, and not that fun. And expensive — Man of Steel, Batman Vs Superman and Justice League carried around $800 million in production budgets to gross a collective $2.1 billion, according to reported budget estimates.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/supergirl-movie-warner-bros-dc-comics-universe-oren-uziel-script-superman-1202440687/
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:16 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Abitaman wrote:

That's essentially what WB has in mind for Superman but nothing can be greenlit until Henry and WB reach a new contract so the future of Superman is up in the air until that's settled. If Cavill re-ups, they'll fast track Superman cameo's in future films including a new Superman movie. If McQuarrie is indeed a part of the deal, he is known to work fast and I could see the next Superman film be released in 2020/2021 with cameo's in between. If they choose to more on from Henry, they will probably shelve Superman for a few years and reboot once the new brand is flat on its feet and hitting the ground running. Right now, Walter Hamada is steering a tight ship so we'll see what Aquaman, Shazam! and WW84 has in store and go from there.

i did not know Cavill's contract was up. DC has some good people, trust them and let them run.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:16 am

verslibre wrote:
Abitaman wrote:

You said it, bruh. That's why The Winter Soldier, the Russos' first, remains their best movie. Plus, it has the best instance of humor in any of their movies: When Falcon grabs Cap and then drops him, he lands and goes "You're heavier than you look." Chris Evans' response is a perfectly deadpan comeback: "I had a big breakfast." And they go right back into the action. It isn't a Hoo! Hah! moment where the camera freezes on Downey or Holland so the audience can get fish-slapped with the joke.

Winter Solider is one of my 3 favorite MArvel movies (along with first Avengers and latest Avengers)
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:52 am

More news! Black Mask is the official villain of BoP!

https://www.thewrap.com/birds-of-prey-villain-black-mask-batman/
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:01 pm

when Black Mask first came out, I thought he was a pretty worthless villain, seemed to soap opera. Still have those original comics tucked away somewhere. Wasn't it Doug Monech or something like that, that was creator? Klaus somebody was the artist too? If I remember right it was around the time Bullock was questioning the second Robin (Jason) about who he really is, should Robin be older.
I really don"t think Black Mask became a good villain until the turn of the century.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 am

Production starts on Swamp Thing in a month :!:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1027222932521672704
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:57 am

I like the DC approach, not just superheroes. Could make some good movies, just stay true to the source (liberties can be taken) and trust your director.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 am

verslibre wrote:Production starts on Swamp Thing in a month :!:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1027222932521672704

Mark Verheiden did a great job as show-runner for last season Ash vs. Evil Dead. This will be awesome.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:44 am

I cannot fucking wait.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:10 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 am

Aquaman is going to have a ton of flavor. A lot of different films Wan is taking inspiration from. The new pic has an Indiana Jones vibe going on. Wan will deliver.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:07 am

Word. That pic alone demonstrates there's much more the movie will deliver on. Can't wait to see Manta thrashin' the scenery with his plasma beams.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:56 am

I've never seen a bad Wan movie. Even alleged clunkers, like Dead Silence, have alot going for them.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:05 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:45 am

Reeves' The Batman about to enter pre- production.

The Flash starts filming in February.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:51 am

The wheels are rolling on Damon Lindelöf's Watchmen series at HBO.

Watchmen's series order comes as HBO is aggressively adding to its dramatic and genre outings as it looks to a future with a new corporate parent in AT&T and without its flagship, Game of Thrones. J.J. Abrams' Demimonde, Jordan Peele and Misha Green's Lovecraft Country, Joss Whedon's The Nevers and Zendaya starrer Euphoria are some of the projects given a series order in recent months.

The network released a logline for Watchmen with the following description: "Set in an alternate history where 'superheroes' are treated as outlaws, Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel while attempting to break new ground of its own."

Lindelof's lengthy cast includes Regina King, who starred in the second season of previous HBO drama Leftovers, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr. and a host of others.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/watchmen-tv-series-coming-hbo-damon-lindelof-1135642
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:01 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:17 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:42 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:07 am

http://splashreport.com/exclusive-len-wiseman-to-direct-swamp-thing-pilot-for-dc-universe/

Len Wiseman wrote/directed the first two Underworld movies and the Lucifer pilot. So we're off to a good start.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Henry Cavill cast as Geralt in The Witcher Netflix series. 8-9 episodes that will film around 9 months or so starting in November. Not sure what this means about his status as Superman at this point but it seems WB is going to be moving slowly on their films division and build things brick by brick. Nothing new going on with Cavill's WB contract negotiations so it looks like if they do have any plans for Superman, it could be the rumored appearance's and/or cameo's to rebuild the character in that way. The question now becomes who is going to be Superman for the studio if they have plans for him to show up in the future.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:28 am

According to Grace, this confirms he is gone. Frankly, imo, it seems he wanted out of the role...and WB did not care.

Witcher could be good...I was looking forward to it even before this news.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Earmuffs For The Blind