'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 am

RedWingFan wrote:
verslibre wrote:Let me guess. You were "disappointed" because Zack didn't film a shot of Superman grinning with his arms crossed, while some thug's bullets bounced off his left nostril...

...followed by Superman exclaiming "Told you so!"

Honestly couldn't have told you who the fuck Zack Snyder was back then. Just looking to see a great Superman movie. It wasn't there. Didn't know who he was until reading this thread and hearing you and yj fapping to him constantly.

Don't tell me you liked the shameless retread that is Superman Returns better.

IF so...it speaks volumes. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

verslibre wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:
verslibre wrote:Let me guess. You were "disappointed" because Zack didn't film a shot of Superman grinning with his arms crossed, while some thug's bullets bounced off his left nostril...

...followed by Superman exclaiming "Told you so!"

Honestly couldn't have told you who the fuck Zack Snyder was back then. Just looking to see a great Superman movie. It wasn't there. Didn't know who he was until reading this thread and hearing you and yj fapping to him constantly.

Don't tell me you liked the shameless retread that is Superman Returns better.

IF so...it speaks volumes. :lol:

Hell no. Boring as hell. But the teaser for Returns was so great! It still gives me goose bumps. https://youtu.be/OsKjfJ1sUIk
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:34 pm

The first official photo released of Routh as Superman left me baffled. It was so bad I couldn't even take it. Though, yes, the Superman Returns teaser trailer was phenomenal. I was fully onboard and ready to embrace SR on the big screen and was really pumped to see Big Blue back. Turns out, I barely made it through the movie. I would say Man of Steel trailer #2 is still one of the best CBM trailers of all time. I'll never forget the burning passion of intense excitement that trailer brought. No matter what happens from here on out, I'm grateful for MoS and the moments of HYPE it and BvS created..even all the fun arguments and back and forth banter. Never had a better time in fandom and I enjoyed every second of it. Not sure if that will ever happen on my end again. I hope so.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:38 am

Reeves has turned in his script for The Batman.

https://twitter.com/BatmanNewsCom/status/1040732254320959490
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 am

Scott Snyder posted this. Comes out on the 19th.

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:01 am

Official pic of Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker (sans makeup):

https://twitter.com/ComicBookDebate/status/1041411281444655111
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:08 am

What I've said all along!

"David Goyer says Superman had to kill Zod for very good reasons you just didn't understand"

https://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/29/david-goyer-superman-kill-zod/?hootPostID=ae32e063bf6d2673a4794a7d14c4e770
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:48 am

Set photos of Phoenix and Phillips' Joker are hitting the web and I'm shocked how much I'm falling in love with it. It already has such a mystery feeling surrounding production and Phoenix is given me the damn creeps. He may be the most physically best looking Joker yet. Even though my hype for the DCEU is very much down at this point (the Superman stuff is just so dire and depressing anymore) but the Elseworlds label could churn out some eye popping stuff.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:30 am

The New Joker Movie Is Going to Be Good and You’re All Just Going to Have to Deal With It

So, WB just released a video of Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker (possibly in response to leaked set photos earlier in the week) and it's a reminder of the fact that you jerks are all just going to have to accept that this movie will be far more interesting than the cookie cutter crap that *other studios* plan on putting out next year.

Here's the thing: I have no idea what this movie is going to be about. I don't think that really matters. What matters is they have an interesting actor playing the Joker. That little eyebrow twitch in the first gif? That subtle transformation from grinning goon to deadpan psychopath in the second gif? That's all Joaquin Phoenix. And maybe everything about the movie will be terrible—maybe the story will be trash and Todd Phillips* will be out of his depth and the supporting cast will be horrible and it'll all fall apart—but the one thing it looks to have gotten right is to cast an actual actor, one with interesting ideas and total control of his persona and what he projects on the screen.

Now look: I get it! This video clip didn't feature the Joker punching an old woman in the face. Which, as we all know, is an extremely funny thing to have happen in a trailer. It's funny, you see, because we don't expect old women to get punched in the face! An old, smiling woman—why, she seems so friendly! Why would our hero want to punch an old woman in the face? Certainly it wouldn't be to create an instantly meme-able image for an audience of slack-jawed yokels who need something to pass around on Twitter in order to demonstrate that they are Very Hip And Also Possibly With It.

No, all this movie has is an actor who can express a range of emotions and doesn't have the same constipated look on his face all the time. And hey, would you look at that: he even manages a smile or two.

*Todd Phillips is an underrated director and I don't care who knows I think this.

https://freebeacon.com/blog/new-joker-movie-going-good-youre-just-going-deal/
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:20 am

Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:28 am

Birds of Prey set to fly on February 7, 2020.

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1044307966617210880
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:30 am

RedWingFan wrote:http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/suicide-squad-s-david-ayer-admits-that-joker-s-tattoos-were-ill-conceived-236-02?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=JoBloFB

He's referring to Joker's forehead, i.e. the damaged script. And I have to agree; in retrospect, that shouldn't have been.

Ayer's also flipped his stance on the theatrical cut, saying his director's cut is much different. Since he's no longer playing good soldier, it makes me think he won't be doing any more work for WB.
Last edited by verslibre on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:34 am

I thought this was from a GN. This is a still from Aquaman. Whoa, Nelly!

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 am

Ezra met up with Grant Morrison, who had a run on Flash a while back.

https://twitter.com/FlashsoloNews/status/1046502134303330304
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:07 am

I caved. AMAZING new trailer for Aquaman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWnLiffxJ4
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:12 pm

That last fucking shot is simply amazing. That Manta chase was everything. G-I-V-E T-H-E J-L F-R-A-N-C-H-I-S-E T-O W-A-N P-R-O-N-T-O.

Could you imagine a Superman film under Wan givin' the same TLC? Lawd. Saddens me.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Well, I'll admit that the new five minute trailer for "Thor 4: The Wet World" looks pretty good.

And, he could have drooled on it...no need for manufactured sweat or pee.

But, look forward to seeing it...it does look good.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Saw Venom. Pretty shitty. Felt like a comic book movie from the 90s.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:01 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Saw Venom. Pretty shitty. Felt like a comic book movie from the 90s.

That's too bad. Hardy said they cut some of his favorite moments from the film. Trimming 40 minutes no doubt hurt the film. It's still making money and the sequel with Carnage is a go.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:22 am

Monker wrote:Well, I'll admit that the new five minute trailer for "Thor 4: The Wet World" looks pretty good.

And, he could have drooled on it...no need for manufactured sweat or pee.

But, look forward to seeing it...it does look good.

Wans a beast. He's going to bring it with multiple techniques and textures to his craft. He can do it all. Momoa is lucky to have him and so is DC.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:24 am

Warner Brothers/DC confirmation:
James Gunn set to write and possibly direct 'Suicide Squad 2'.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 am

verslibre wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Saw Venom. Pretty shitty. Felt like a comic book movie from the 90s.

That's too bad. Hardy said they cut some of his favorite moments from the film. Trimming 40 minutes no doubt hurt the film. It's still making money and the sequel with Carnage is a go.

They tried to turn it into some type of weird dark comedy. Almost every time Venom speaks it is an attempt to get a laugh. The only time it really worked well was when he tells him to jump out a window to exit a skyscraper and he says 'no!" and Venom says, "Pussy!" Other than that, it was constant lame joke after lame joke....and there is one bit where he says to bit everybody's head off and stack the bodies in one corner and the heads in another...mildly funny, I guess. Imagine what you think of Drax being spoken by Venom...it's that lame, IMO. All the best action was already shown in previews. The "horror" element is very limited...PG limited...it's probably PG-13 due to language, I would guess. Even some of the CGI looked dated to me. It reminded me of a sort of SyFy Saturday move...almost like Sharknado or something stupid like that...but actually TRYING to be good.

It is definitely, absolutely not, the movie you guys were hoping for in your posts to the other thread. You are not missing anything if you wait for it to be on NetFlix or some such.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

verslibre wrote:What I've said all along!

"David Goyer says Superman had to kill Zod for very good reasons you just didn't understand"

https://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/29/david-goyer-superman-kill-zod/?hootPostID=ae32e063bf6d2673a4794a7d14c4e770

The writers snark got the best of him. He mentions how Superman has an edge as he's had more time to master the craft of his superpowers...

..but that's just it. Supes told Zod earlier in the film how he learned to hone his senses and focus on what he wants to see. Zod didn't want to have an edge with powers. Zod breaking out of his armor demonstrated how out of control he was going to act. For Supes, that's a tall feat to stop against a programmed soldier.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:55 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:The writers snark got the best of him. He mentions how Superman has an edge as he's had more time to master the craft of his superpowers...

..but that's just it. Supes told Zod earlier in the film how he learned to hone his senses and focus on what he wants to see. Zod didn't want to have an edge with powers. Zod breaking out of his armor demonstrated how out of control he was going to act. For Supes, that's a tall feat to stop against a programmed soldier.

Lost in all of the critique and defense of this is the fact that the bottom line is it is a move and is telling a story. If the above is truly the motivation and what was trying to be communicated to the viewer, and so many in the audience failed to get these points, then the movie failed to communicate this story point. None of this should have to be explained after the fact.

What I got out of it was this scene was nothing more than a story teller attempting to make a dramatic point towards the end of the movie...and that story teller chose to take an easy path to drama by shocking an audience by breaking Zod's neck.

Now, contrast that with Krypton which also had a neck snap. There was an entire build up of a character holding back, stopping short and showing mercy....and asking for mercy, and being 'punished' for doing so for all types of character reasons. So, when she DOES snap a neck and says "never ask for mercy," or whatever the line was....it has an incredibly dramatic affect - not just shock value. And, it showed character growth in a direction you may not have expected. Very little of that type of build up occurred in MOS, holding back against evil people...certainly there was no where near as much as there was in Krypton for it to have as much meaning as you describe above.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:18 am

I wasn't arguing against the execution of the neck snap but rather the ethics of what the dude wrote in the middle of his rant pertaining to something else.

Though, I even admitted numerous times how one of MoS's and Zack's biggest mistakes was not the neck snap itself, but the lack of follow-up and reaction to that climax. There should have been a 15-20 minute sequence immediately after. That would have fixed a lot of the issues people and especially fans had with the abrupt action of such an ending but it never came. That's just how Zack operates as a director. He lets those open ended scenes sit there and marinate rather than spending enough time on the message. He basks in that type of controversial descisons and allows the audience to decifer what he was saying for themselves.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:42 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I wasn't arguing against the execution of the neck snap but rather the ethics of what the dude wrote in the middle of his rant pertaining to something else.

Though, I even admitted numerous times how one of MoS's and Zack's biggest mistakes was not the neck snap itself, but the lack of follow-up and reaction to that climax. There should have been a 15-20 minute sequence immediately after. That would have fixed a lot of the issues people and especially fans had with the abrupt action of such an ending but it never came. That's just how Zack operates as a director. He lets those open ended scenes sit there and marinate rather than spending enough time on the message. He basks in that type of controversial descisons and allows the audience to decifer what he was saying for themselves.

That's what I like about his style: no spoon-feeding. That's all Marvel does. They're ham-fisted to the point you get nauseous waiting for them to move to the next plot point.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:26 pm

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:I wasn't arguing against the execution of the neck snap but rather the ethics of what the dude wrote in the middle of his rant pertaining to something else.

That's what I like about his style: no spoon-feeding. That's all Marvel does. They're ham-fisted to the point you get nauseous waiting for them to move to the next plot point.

"Spoon feeding" is not the point I was making - at all. Did you watch Krypton? So, you have Lyta-Zod who you are seeing in a relationship with Seg-El. You see her being both vulnerable and empathetic. You relate to her and see and feel her pain as she is being punished for having those traits - by her own mother. Then she is in a fight and a guy pleads for mercy and she breaks the guy's neck instead, and repeats the words that she was told by her own mother, "we never ask for mercy."

At that point, we are reminded she is a Zod at heart. Maybe she isn't the best match for Seg. Maybe she isn't she isn't so deserving of empathy. It is a complete turn around from what we were shown of her character before. That is the same type of turn that we are supposed to feel for Superman when he breaks Zod's neck. But, the audience doesn't feel the turn, only the shock value, because there was no build up of that type of relationship with Superman where we related to him in the same way as Lyta-Zod. The only argument that is there is that Zod deserved to die. So what? Shock value - that is all.

It has nothing to do with what follows, it has to do with what comes before. It is not about being "spoon fed" so you know what is coming next. It is telling the story in a dramatic way and developing characters and story. MOS did not do that when it came to the neck snap - at all.

And, BTW, the entire neck snap thing isn't such a big deal to me. I don't care that Superman "killed". IMO, the entire topic has become way over stated and argued about. I simply believe it's a lazy writing in an over-all good movie.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:36 am

I think the non-linear; flashback story structure in MoS hurt the development of storytelling for Clark. It worked for the most part because audience's typically get bored with an origin they know a lot about already but Snyder changed just enough where some, if not most scenes, needed some more sequences. There was a ton of good material there and storytelling methods but the abrupt flashbacks takes you out of the emotion of the scenes. I always wondered what MoS would have viewed like in a linear fashion.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

PreviousNext

Return to Earmuffs For The Blind