'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:25 am

Well said, v. They are competitors. Competition brings out the best in everybody. The genre is at a constant flucuation of what the competitors are doing. The circle of creativity of one film dictates the move of others. DC has done things in direct response to what the MCU did. The MCU had direct response's to what DC has done and so did Fox and Sony. There's still a humungous need, still, for director creativity and lower scale drama films. Infinity War and Endgame aren't movies that can withstand longterm health for franchises and audiences. CBM's need to be scaled down in order to build back up. The MCU will inevitably get to that point again while DC will be in control of that market when things settle down. There's room for ALL. People are ready for the Ant Man's and Shazam!'s after having the heart attacks that are IW and EG. Simplier can be better. Big can be earned.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:20 pm

verslibre wrote:"A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity."
(and)
"...who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another."

If you looked up the word, it has multiple definitions, including: a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority: IE: a stadium without a rival.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/rival

Or, "Two worlds collide, rival nations..."

DC is not the USSR to Marvel's USA

Or, "Rising up to the challenge of our rival..."

DC is not Clubber Lang to Marvel's Rocky. DC is also not Ivan Drago.

But, a competitor....meh. IMO, DC is a wannabe competitor but has not proven then can consistently rise to Marvel's level since the TDK movies. They are hit and miss at best...not serious competition at all. Marvel is the major league at the level of Star Wars, or LothR, or Avatar. DC is Percy Jackson or Starship Troopers...they are not competitive at all. They may make money and have hit films in their roster, but they are AAA, not the majors. When DC has a potential $3billion film, maybe. When DC has an "OK" film like Captain Marvel gross a billion, maybe. As we sit RIGHT NOW, Marvel has no rivals.

Essentially, a competitor. There's a reason Marvel and DC are the "Big Two."

Uh, no. DC is not as big as Marvel...not in cinema anyway. I don't think it is even close. They are comparable to Universal and Sony...not Marvel.

Bottom line: We need both.

That is a presumptuous statement. You may need both, I don't NEED either one.

Doctor Strange was a disappointment, too

Not to me.

If the Russos stick around, they need to give them Thor.

Well, there is that word "need" again...you are a nobody presuming to KNOW what a hugely successful studio like Marvel/Disney "needs" to do...I don't think so. And, POTENTIAL SPOILER, but from what I understand, there is a huge indication that Thor may be joining the next GotG movie. And, you may not like it, but I doubt Marvel has been disappointed with how Thor has been handled from Ragnarok onward.

I will not be surprised if the Russo's take a break from Marvel...I'm sure their success has pretty much been guaranteed that they could pick and choose any project they want to work on at this point.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 pm

The MCU caught lighting in the bottle. Their brand has many mediocre and forgetful films sprinkled throughout their history that was allowed to be what they were because of the studios built in patience and expectation. They were able to throw out subpar CA, Hulk, Thor and Iron Man films because the audience didn't hold it against them. They were labeled as "B-C list" characters so people, critics and fans allowed that universe to happen over time.

You can't do that with Superman and Batman. They are STILL, no matter what the current Box Office says, THEE standard. They are the PINNACLE of what the conscience mind thinks of superheros. The very fact that fans laugh of the fact of "YOU MESSED UP A SURE-THING OF PRINTING MONEY WITH SUPERMAN AND BATMAN! HAHHAHAA" proves they're top dawg. There is NO margin for error.

Now watch the internet be broken by not 11 years of cinematic buildup but by the new Batman's casting. That will be a good reminder.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:24 am

I'm not seeing Endgame until the crowds die down. I really don't care how the story ends tbh. There is no master plan. They are just winging it. I view Endgame as a few hours of disposable entertainment - similar to any major franchise sequel. It's not the end of an era, the culmination of eleven years of storytelling etc etc.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:20 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:"A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity."
(and)
"...who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another."

If you looked up the word, it has multiple definitions

We already covered the pertinent ones. :wink:

Monker wrote:DC is not the USSR to Marvel's USA

Amusing.

Monker wrote:Or, "Rising up to the challenge of our rival..."

FFS, BUY ANOTHER ALBUM ALREADY. :lol:

Monker wrote:DC is not Clubber Lang to Marvel's Rocky. DC is also not Ivan Drago.

Funny. The conflict in Rocky III is that the guy in his comfort zone gets whupped by a challenger with nothing to lose; the former has to get his mojo back to reclaim the title. DC was Rocky before Marvel was Rocky. Now Marvel's Rocky. Don't be surprised if it plays out again.

Monker wrote:But, a competitor....meh. IMO, DC is a wannabe competitor but has not proven then can consistently rise to Marvel's level since the TDK movies. They are hit and miss at best...not serious competition at all. Marvel is the major league at the level of Star Wars, or LothR, or Avatar. DC is Percy Jackson or Starship Troopers...they are not competitive at all. They may make money and have hit films in their roster, but they are AAA, not the majors. When DC has a potential $3billion film, maybe. When DC has an "OK" film like Captain Marvel gross a billion, maybe. As we sit RIGHT NOW, Marvel has no rivals.

Thanks for proving that all you give a shit about is box office. Nice sidestep of Aquaman's $1.14 billion, too. I personally liked the third act of that film better than Infinity War's.

"DC is Starship Troopers." You're trying too hard. That's a franchise nobody gives a shit about. :lol:

I'm convinced more than ever you like a certain formula, a tired formula, and as long as you get your tropes and jokes, you're just fine. Take out the jokes and get into some deconstruction, and you break out in hives. Yeah, I think we've got you down pat. :lol:

Monker wrote:Uh, no. DC is not as big as Marvel...not in cinema anyway. I don't think it is even close. They are comparable to Universal and Sony...not Marvel.

They've consistently held the two largest chunks of the market. Sometimes Sony moves up, then WB moves back up.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Bottom line: We need both.

Ha. You certainly argue fervently for one and against the other. So are you a shill? A hypocrite?

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:]Doctor Strange was a disappointment, too

Not to me.

You were happy as a pig in shit with the forced humor, Strange's suspiciously limited power set, the cliché Jedi-Padawan ethos, and the Groundhog Day ending.

Monker wrote:Well, there is that word "need" again...you are a nobody

Speak for yourself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Monker wrote:presuming to KNOW what a hugely successful studio like Marvel/Disney "needs" to do...I don't think so. And, POTENTIAL SPOILER, but from what I understand, there is a huge indication that Thor may be joining the next GotG movie. And, you may not like it, but I doubt Marvel has been disappointed with how Thor has been handled from Ragnarok onward.

OF COURSE they're not "disappointed," you numbskull. If nimrods like you go and watch the movie and praise it in spite of its insipid content, you tell others and they go. That's how it makes money. Ragnarok had some poppin' visuals but the STORY was a fuckin' mess. The best part is the opening scene. Hela and the all-but unrecognizable Contest of Champions storyline got hamwiched to generate some kind of big-ass conflict and as a result, one of Thor's foremost nemeses got the Happy Meal treatment when she should have been Super-Sized. (B-B-But it's Cate Blanchett!!!) You're going to do the usual and say "I don't care, it was good storytelling," when it wasn't.

Monker wrote:I will not be surprised if the Russo's take a break from Marvel...I'm sure their success has pretty much been guaranteed that they could pick and choose any project they want to work on at this point.

Duh. They're not the directors of GOTGVol3, Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, etc. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:35 am

Three words: History repeats itself.

"[Director Richard] Lester also didn't share Donner's vision for a mythical epic, stating that he preferred 'quirky' and 'silly,' hence why [Superman II] is chock full of jokes and sight gags."

Lester also shot new bits to insert into Donner's existing scenes (just like Joss did with Zack's) in order to get his 50% i.e. get his salary for having shot approximately half the assembly cut.

"Superman II - WTF Happened To This Movie?" (by JoBlo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wstiU4gK4I

P.S. Terence Stamp, Marc McClure and John Williams all thought Lester was a d-bag. I'm sure other cast and crew members did, too.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 am

That's just eerie as hell. This is why Superman needs the right bulletproof team, from top to bottom, around him. Break that fucking curse.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:17 am

verslibre wrote:Funny. The conflict in Rocky III is that the guy in his comfort zone gets whupped by a challenger with nothing to lose; the former has to get his mojo back to reclaim the title. DC was Rocky before Marvel was Rocky. Now Marvel's Rocky. Don't be surprised if it plays out again.

Point is that DC isn't a rival for the title. They haven't even earned a shot at it. Jesus, Endgame sold a billion worldwide in ONE WEEKEND. This weekend may put them over two billion. DC isn't even close to doing something like that.

If anything DC is like Rocky in the first movie...a bum who doesn't deserve a shot but gets one by chance. And, his goal wasn't to win, but to still be standing until the last bell. That's DC, except they don't seem to have the courage to do what it takes to really compete.

Thanks for proving that all you give a shit about is box office. Nice sidestep of Aquaman's $1.14 billion, too. I personally liked the third act of that film better than Infinity War's.

It's the one measure of fact that you can't deny and contradict with opinion. And, frankly, it's the ONLY measure the studios really care about.,

I'm convinced more than ever you like a certain formula, a tired formula, and as long as you get your tropes and jokes, you're just fine. Take out the jokes and get into some deconstruction, and you break out in hives. Yeah, I think we've got you down pat. :lol:

I like to be entertained. If all I cared about were jokes here and there, I wouldn't like the TDK movies. If DC wants dark and serioius, do it right...and not like Snyder did.

Monker wrote:Uh, no. DC is not as big as Marvel...not in cinema anyway. I don't think it is even close. They are comparable to Universal and Sony...not Marvel.

They've consistently held the two largest chunks of the market. Sometimes Sony moves up, then WB moves back up.

Post the actual numbers on how much difference there is between #1 and #2. I have no idea what you are using to measure this.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Bottom line: We need both.

Ha. You certainly argue fervently for one and against the other. So are you a shill? A hypocrite?

I absolutely do not NEED CBM's to make my world go around. That is a fact. If YOU do, then you are a CBM 'shill", or whatever.

You were happy as a pig in shit with the forced humor, Strange's suspiciously limited power set, the cliché Jedi-Padawan ethos, and the Groundhog Day ending.

A hypocrite is one who loves Shazam and then complains about comedy in other movies.

No, I didn't mind the comedy at all in Dr. Strange. Of course he has a "limited power set" because he is just learning his powers...that's the ENTIRE POINT of an origin story. I didn't make the Jedi/Padawan connection...to me it reminded me of the old Kung-fu series with David Carridine. I'm sure you critique this same scenerio from TDK movies, too...or are you a hypocrite? I also did not mind the time loop at the end.

Monker wrote:Well, there is that word "need" again...you are a nobody

Speak for yourself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We are both nobody's when it comes to influencing Marvel/Disney and how they make their films.

OF COURSE they're not "disappointed," you numbskull. If nimrods like you go and watch the movie and praise it in spite of its insipid content, you tell others and they go.

Well, you are presuming again. I don't really do that much.

Ragnarok had some poppin' visuals but the STORY was a fuckin' mess.

No, it wasn't. We've been over this. You just don't like it because it didn't follow the comics. Get over it already, movies do NOT have to follow the comics.

The best part is the opening scene. Hela and the all-but unrecognizable Contest of Champions storyline got hamwiched to generate some kind of big-ass conflict and as a result, one of Thor's foremost nemeses got the Happy Meal treatment when she should have been Super-Sized. (B-B-But it's Cate Blanchett!!!) You're going to do the usual and say "I don't care, it was good storytelling," when it wasn't.

There is NOTHING wrong with the story itself. Hela was a great villian, and I wish they could bring her back. The only problem I had with the move was the stupid rock man and his pal...STUPID characters...they should have been cut.

Monker wrote:I will not be surprised if the Russo's take a break from Marvel...I'm sure their success has pretty much been guaranteed that they could pick and choose any project they want to work on at this point.

Duh. They're not the directors of GOTGVol3, Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, etc. :lol:

With the exception of GotG, I don't really follow, or care, who the directors are.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat May 04, 2019 7:43 am

There's only one thing I'm going to respond to in that ^ bs post. :lol:

Monker wrote:A hypocrite is one who loves Shazam and then complains about comedy in other movies.

Congratulations. You may have the biggest case of HUA I've encountered.

Shazam!'s trailer did not promote a different film. Endgame's trailer suggested darkness, uncertainty and finality — a potentially darker film than Infinity War.

Instead, we got Thor cosplaying Lebowski. Was the audience supposed to feel sorry for him? It didn't matter, because they didn't script it correctly. When the camera flashed to the you-know-what, the audience erupted into moans and laughter. As if to suggest an Asgardian was subject to the same physical shortcomings a Terran is. They should have just gone for broke and rendered Thor a frog like Walt Simonson did. At least then there was a point to it.

OTOH, Hawkeye went on a bloodthirsty rampage that almost entirely happened offscreen. Then that was forgotten about because the Next Big Joke was an overwhelmingly Green one: Professor Hulk. Funny how some many people whined "Zack doesn't get the characters!" and then look what they did with Hulk. You could edit him right out of the movie and barely change anything. They didn't just misuse him, they made him useless. "Say 'green'!" :lol:

So, no, liking Shazam! doesn't make me a hypocrite because every single time, DC doesn't play the bait-and-switch game like Marvel's done with Iron Man 3, Civil War and now Endgame.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat May 04, 2019 12:05 pm

My brother is a huge Hulk fan. HUGE. He is pissed out of his mind about how they misused Hulk. It's hard to take anyone's bitching seriously though when you are a Superman fan. I don't think I'll totally ever forgive WB for doing what they did to Henry's face in JL. I just can't imagine what was going through that dudes head watching that for the first time. I wanted to vomit for him.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat May 04, 2019 12:24 pm

verslibre wrote:There's only one thing I'm going to respond to in that ^ bs post. :lol:

Monker wrote:A hypocrite is one who loves Shazam and then complains about comedy in other movies.

Congratulations. You may have the biggest case of HUA I've encountered.

Cool, I'm a genius:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Hua

Did you know there is a type of snail nicknamed an assassin snail because it goes about killing pond snails which can infest and aquarium? They are cool looking, black and yellow, like a bumblebee. Maybe Hawkeye should change the colors of his outfit.

The new Hawkeye:

Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat May 04, 2019 12:32 pm

A GENUS is not a GENIUS. Nice going! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, HUA is an acronym. "Hua" is not. Double-fail! :lol: :lol: :lol:

("Black and yellow" was what Hank Pym's costume was in his Yellowjacket phase. They blew right past that, too.)
Last edited by verslibre on Sat May 04, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat May 04, 2019 12:35 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:My brother is a huge Hulk fan. HUGE. He is pissed out of his mind about how they misused Hulk. It's hard to take anyone's bitching seriously though when you are a Superman fan. I don't think I'll totally ever forgive WB for doing what they did to Henry's face in JL. I just can't imagine what was going through that dudes head watching that for the first time. I wanted to vomit for him.

What they did to/with Hulk in that movie is mystifying. He is barely more than comic relief. He doesn't throw one punch. They do one thing that's a callback to a famous Bronze Age Incredible Hulk cover, but that's over with in moments. I just don't get it.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat May 04, 2019 12:55 pm

Point is that DC isn't a rival for the title. They haven't even earned a shot at it. Jesus, Endgame sold a billion worldwide in ONE WEEKEND. This weekend may put them over two billion. DC isn't even close to doing something like that.

What a dipshit thing to say. Earned a shot at what exactly? You're pulling things from the thinnest air. How much Endgame ends up making has no barring on how WB proceeds with say, Aquaman 2. The studios look at their own benchmark and reacts accordingly to how they see fit. The most important thing and the only thing that matters is if the studio continues making these films. You keep bringing up sports analogies when these films aren't aiming to knock each other out. It's more like golf where studio's essentially are up against their own course.

If anything DC is like Rocky in the first movie...a bum who doesn't deserve a shot but gets one by chance. And, his goal wasn't to win, but to still be standing until the last bell.

You're a goon. And you know you're failing when you're trying to talk down on something with a Rocky reference, who happens to be one of the most inspirational characters ever who never gives up..kind of like how DC/WB is doing in all this backlash over the years. They could have easily laid low and quit. Instead, they are re-training keeping their head down and going the distance.

That's DC, except they don't seem to have the courage to do what it takes to really compete.

You know what takes courage? Casting Gal Gadot and putting Wonder Woman right up front and coming right back with Wonder Woman 1984, a potential billion dollar movie in the making. You know what takes courage? Casting one of Hollywood's most badass looking mother fucker like Jason Momoa for Aquaman to lead one of the most made fun of pop culture characters of ALL TIME and turn him into a billion dollar franchise right out the gates with a sequel potentially doing the same. It takes courage to convince one of the hardest stars in Hollywood to sign on to a film like Phenoix and take on a beloved phenom like Joker. DC is doing exactly everything they need to do to rebound.

A hypocrite is one who loves Shazam and then complains about comedy in other movies.

There's a huge difference between comedy, humor placement and over-using.

No, it wasn't. We've been over this. You just don't like it because it didn't follow the comics. Get over it already, movies do NOT have to follow the comics.

The only CBM that followed the comics was basically Watchmen. This isn't animation and even the animated versions of a particular storyline are changed for the sake of what works on screen and what doesn't. Director's or writers adapt certain storylines into their screenplay or script. BvS's Batman was obviously adapted from Frank Millers TDKReturns, but, obviously, they didn't make TDKReturns panel for panel. They just took nods and homages and implemented them as adaptions.

Where do you think Thanos' SNAP came from? Did you hate it because it came directory from the comic books? I'll wait.

With the exception of GotG, I don't really follow, or care, who the directors are.

You should. Director's and their flare are what keeps studios from totally interfering with one's vision and we've seen what happens when studios's ruin things by committee. It's easier to say since Feige's ballsack is being gargled, choked and gagged in everyone's mouth.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sun May 05, 2019 3:21 am

Can't wait to see Monkey's A+ review of The Suicide Squad thanks to two words: James Gunn. "When they showed Ratcatcher queef in a jar and hurl it into the methane plant...GENIUS!!" :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun May 05, 2019 3:28 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:You're a goon. And you know you're failing when you're trying to talk down on something with a Rocky reference, who happens to be one of the most inspirational characters ever who never gives up..kind of like how DC/WB is doing in all this backlash over the years. They could have easily laid low and quit. Instead, they are re-training keeping their head down and going the distance.

Boom! And what's that great line from Rocky Balboa? "It's not about how hard you can hit...it's about how hard you can get hit...and keep moving forward!"

YoungJRNYfan wrote:You know what takes courage? Casting Gal Gadot and putting Wonder Woman right up front and coming right back with Wonder Woman 1984, a potential billion dollar movie in the making. You know what takes courage? Casting one of Hollywood's most badass looking mother fucker like Jason Momoa for Aquaman to lead one of the most made fun of pop culture characters of ALL TIME and turn him into a billion dollar franchise right out the gates with a sequel potentially doing the same. It takes courage to convince one of the hardest stars in Hollywood to sign on to a film like Phenoix and take on a beloved phenom like Joker. DC is doing exactly everything they need to do to rebound.

Meanwhile, Brie Larson's annoying her costars with all her "woke" nonsense.

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Where do you think Thanos' SNAP came from? Did you hate it because it came directory from the comic books? I'll wait.

They *almost* added a visual tag to the finger-snap, too: the yellow triangles from the original panel. But they didn't.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue May 07, 2019 11:16 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:My brother is a huge Hulk fan. HUGE. He is pissed out of his mind about how they misused Hulk. It's hard to take anyone's bitching seriously though when you are a Superman fan. I don't think I'll totally ever forgive WB for doing what they did to Henry's face in JL. I just can't imagine what was going through that dudes head watching that for the first time. I wanted to vomit for him.

What they did to/with Hulk in that movie is mystifying. He is barely more than comic relief. He doesn't throw one punch. They do one thing that's a callback to a famous Bronze Age Incredible Hulk cover, but that's over with in moments. I just don't get it.

Don't know. They turned him into Beast. Don't know what the point was there. They should have just left as Banner and saved "Professor Hulk" for a time when they really knew what to do with him.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:

What a dipshit thing to say. Earned a shot at what exactly?

At being any type of real competition for Marvel. DC, and the other CBM studios, are scrapping for second place. That's just the simple fact.

You're pulling things from the thinnest air. How much Endgame ends up making has no barring on how WB proceeds with say, Aquaman 2.

Of course not. HOWEVER, if BvS and Justice League had been $2billion films, AS THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN, you would not be talking about Aquaman 2 in response to what I said.

The studios look at their own benchmark and reacts accordingly to how they see fit. The most important thing and the only thing that matters is

Making money. it's a business.

You keep bringing up sports analogies

To define what I meant by rival, YES.

when these films aren't aiming to knock each other out. It's more like golf where studio's essentially are up against their own course.

Marvel is the old Tiger Woods. They have no rival.

If anything DC is like Rocky in the first movie...a bum who doesn't deserve a shot but gets one by chance. And, his goal wasn't to win, but to still be standing until the last bell.

You're a goon. And you know you're failing when you're trying to talk down on something with a Rocky reference, who happens to be one of the most inspirational characters ever who never gives up..[/quote]

Like Captain America.

kind of like how DC/WB is doing in all this backlash over the years. They could have easily laid low and quit. Instead, they are re-training keeping their head down and going the distance.

If you were honest with yourself, you would admit that SS may be bad but it still made money. If WW and Aquaman were received in the same way, you may not be saying the above. You think Shazam is a hit...the last two weeks Captain Marvel sold better than Shazam.

You know what takes courage? Casting Gal Gadot and putting Wonder Woman right up

No it doesn't. That's just common sense. They can't have Justice League without WW.

front and coming right back with Wonder Woman 1984, a potential billion dollar movie in the making.

"Potential" is a good word. DC can still fuck it up. It has as much "potential" as Iron Man 2 did...and everybody knows how well you like that film.

You know what takes courage? Casting one of Hollywood's most badass looking mother fucker like Jason Momoa for Aquaman to lead one of the most made fun of pop culture characters of ALL TIME and turn him into a billion dollar franchise right out the gates

That has nothing to do with courage. It has to do with decent writing, great SFX, and great trailers...which got people to buy tickets.

with a sequel potentially doing the same.

"Potential".

It takes courage to convince one of the hardest stars in Hollywood to sign on to a film like Phenoix and take on a beloved phenom like Joker. DC is doing exactly everything they need to do to rebound.

NO, it takes a smart actor and actor's agent to know the "potential" of a good role when it becomes available.

There's a huge difference between comedy, humor placement and over-using.

Oh, please, they ADVERTISED Shazam as a comedy. Zach even said it was "A superhero version of Tom Hank's 'Big'." So, don't complain about comedy when DC released what THEY describe as a comedy superhero film.

The only CBM that followed the comics was basically Watchmen. This isn't animation and even the animated versions of a particular storyline are changed for the sake of what works on screen and what doesn't. Director's or writers adapt certain storylines into their screenplay or script. BvS's Batman was obviously adapted from Frank Millers TDKReturns, but, obviously, they didn't make TDKReturns panel for panel. They just took nods and homages and implemented them as adaptions.

Then please tell V to not drive his BMW (Bitch, Moan, and Whine) when Marvel deviates from the comics.

Where do you think Thanos' SNAP came from?

Hmmm, Bewitched? Oh, that was a nose wrinkle.

Did you hate it because it came directory from the comic books? I'll wait.

I have no idea what you are talking about. My point has always been that movies are a different story telling format than comic books so they are NOT always going to be the same. OF COURSE they are going to take some things from the comics, but not EVERYTHING.

You should. Director's and their flare are what keeps studios from totally interfering with one's vision and we've seen what happens when studios's ruin things by committee. It's easier to say since Feige's ballsack is being gargled, choked and gagged in everyone's mouth.

Oh, please. What were the Russo's doing prior to Marvel? They were some huge big name directors with a lot of clout to toss around, weren't they? What happened to the last guy to move from an Avengers movie to DC? Did his clout of directing Avengers mean anything, does it now?

I care about GotG a bit more than the others...So, yes, I wanted to know who was directing GotG3, or if there would even be on without Gunn.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Tue May 07, 2019 11:51 am

verslibre wrote:Can't wait to see Monkey's A+ review of The Suicide Squad thanks to two words: James Gunn. "When they showed Ratcatcher queef in a jar and hurl it into the methane plant...GENIUS!!" :lol:

Right. Like I said in that last post....remember what happened the last time DC picked up a Marvel director and had him do JL.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri May 10, 2019 4:45 am

Monker wrote:Then please tell V to not drive his BMW (Bitch, Moan, and Whine) when Marvel deviates from the comics.

I don't have the keys. You took them and sped away when you cemented your rep as a milquetoast who laps up anything Marvel Studios releases, like a kitty at a saucer or milk or a Thai tranny servicing her European benefactor.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat May 11, 2019 9:57 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:Then please tell V to not drive his BMW (Bitch, Moan, and Whine) when Marvel deviates from the comics.

I don't have the keys. You took them and sped away when you cemented your rep as a milquetoast who laps up anything Marvel Studios releases, like a kitty at a saucer or milk or a Thai tranny servicing her European benefactor.

You going about whining and complaining how the Marvel movies do not follow the comics has absolutely nothing to do with me.

As for me, I avoided both Antman and Spiderman: Homecoming for the EXACT SAME REASON I avoided Shazam. They look like kids movies, for a 12yr old. Even in my last post I agreed with you about Professor Hulk. You just can't deal with the fact that you constantly whine about "not following the comics", so you try to make it about me instead.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sun May 12, 2019 1:18 am

BZZZT. You lose. My complaints re: changes made to the source material are as valid as your MCU brown-nose pageant. When Gunn turned Ego into a freakin' joke in GOTGV2, you better believe I'm gonna say something about it. You may be fine with an excuse to show "humanoid Ego" and Quill tossing an energy ball back and forth, and Ego whizzing on a tree (and that penis joke), but that's garbage writing.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 am

verslibre wrote:BZZZT. You lose. My complaints re: changes made to the source material are as valid as your MCU brown-nose pageant.

Ah, so when YJ said this, he was really talking to you, "The only CBM that followed the comics was basically Watchmen. This isn't animation and even the animated versions of a particular storyline are changed for the sake of what works on screen and what doesn't. Director's or writers adapt certain storylines into their screenplay or script. BvS's Batman was obviously adapted from Frank Millers TDKReturns, but, obviously, they didn't make TDKReturns panel for panel. They just took nods and homages and implemented them as adaptions."

When Gunn turned Ego into a freakin' joke in GOTGV2, you better believe I'm gonna say something about it.

Yeah, you are just continuing your bitching about Marvel not following the comics. It seems like EVERY Marvel movie released you whine about. Even Captain Marvel, you made a post about the suit she wore did not match the comics. SO WHAT. It's NOT the comics. As YJ said, it's not going to match it panel for panel.

You may be fine with an excuse to show "humanoid Ego" and Quill tossing an energy ball back and forth

Yes, I am. The entire point of GotG3 was about family and exploring the various relationships that make up a family. Quill foreshadowed this earlier by saying, "While other kids were playing catch with their dad..." Throwing the ball back and forth was showing that father/son relationship that Quill always wanted. It's really not that complicated.

and Ego whizzing on a tree

Didn't hear you complain about Aquaman mentioning peeing on the monument.

(and that penis joke)

You mean like in Wonder Woman when she said "What's that?"

but that's garbage writing.

At least Drax is in character for saying naively stupid stuff like, "Do you have a penis?" Is it OK to imply that Diane is as stupid as Drax? Is it OK to imply that Aquaman is as immoral as Ego? You complain about this "garbage writing" in Marvel but when the EXACT SAME THING happens in DC, you are silent about it. If it's "garbage" in Marvel, it's garbage in DC.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Mon May 13, 2019 9:49 am

Now, that is something I can't wait to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIwMvuwvOhI
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri May 17, 2019 11:07 am

Official: It's Pattinson. You called it, T.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1129186858691260417
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Fri May 17, 2019 3:49 pm

The dark twilight. :lol:
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri May 17, 2019 11:24 pm

verslibre wrote:Official: It's Pattinson. You called it, T.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1129186858691260417

Man, I'm REALLY hoping this is confirmed from WB soon. Pattison is PERFECT. I'd actually be disappointed if he didn't ink and they went with someone like Hoult. Hammer is supposedly in the running as well but it has to be Pattison. He's the one for me. Him and Reeves will CRUSH IT.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat May 18, 2019 2:46 am

Is Hammer really still in the running?
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun May 19, 2019 10:00 am

Bring on the trailer!

#PattyJenkins confirmed she has screened an early version of #WonderWoman1984 already. And apparently the final result is so good she now regrets fighting to convince WB to push the release date to June 2020, she jokes about kinda wanting the Nov 2019 slot back. Too late, Patty.

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/status/1129818314493059072
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 am

Zack shares yet another previously unseen image from Justice League. FFS, release his cut already, WB.

verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara