Traces

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Traces

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:49 am

brywool wrote:The only one I'm not really a fan of is 'Call On Me'. Too much like 'Baby I'm Leaving You' (which I wasn't a fan of) from Trial By Fire.

Same. I would delete that one and re-sequence it. I think October in NY is a great album closer.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Gideon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:29 am

Finally gave this thing a full and proper listen on YouTube today at work.

"Sun Shines Gray" is probably the standout for me; unsurprising, since it's the album's only rocker. After knocking SP's phrasing choices in some of the previous singles, I've gotta say I love that Motown feel he gave the verses in this song.

The rest runs the range from decent to meh. The three singles were pretty decent, as was "Most of All" and "Easy To Love." One great song, 5 decent ones, and the rest were just meh. It's unquestionable for me that SP still has pipes; they're certainly rusty, but stronger than you'd expect and he makes masterful use of what he has left.

Long story short: good vocals, a refreshingly modern sound, some compelling creative decisions. On the downside, it's a bit more somber than I'd like and the songs aren't nearly as strong as they would be with musicians and co-writers of Schon and Cain's caliber.

I'd give it a C+ and would gladly see him live if he decides to tour.

I'm also tremendously excited by the apparent success Traces has had commercially. Trending #1 on iTunes and Amazon earlier. Not bad when you consider he's up against the likes of Lady Gaga (for her new movie) and 21 Pilots.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:49 am

I bought Traces on iTunes earlier. Listened to it while driving home from work. I don’t really care for it right now. No Erasin’ and Sun Shines Gray are the only tracks I see myself going out of my way to listen to again. I was really excited for it and wanted to like it. But I just...don’t.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Archetype wrote:I bought Traces on iTunes earlier. Listened to it while driving home from work. I don’t really care for it right now. No Erasin’ and Sun Shines Gray are the only tracks I see myself going out of my way to listen to again. I was really excited for it and wanted to like it. But I just...don’t.

Your post sounds a lot like when I am planning a vacation. Often, the actual trip is not nearly as great as the build up to it makes it seem like it is going to be. It's great to take the vacation. Memories are made, etc.,but not every vacation is what I hoped it would be.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Lerxst101 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:50 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
brywool wrote:The only one I'm not really a fan of is 'Call On Me'. Too much like 'Baby I'm Leaving You' (which I wasn't a fan of) from Trial By Fire.

Same. I would delete that one and re-sequence it. I think October in NY is a great album closer.

I agree -- I would definitely have resequenced this and moved October in NY to the closer. And I honestly would have wished for different production. Too clean and sterile -- as if studio musicians hired versus a band (yes, I'm being sarcastic). But overall, I am really enjoying it for what it is and more. Would I have loved more upbeat, rock tunes? Yes. But I still love it for what it is -- SP's way of expressing his feelings and writing and recording what he wanted.
Lerxst101
Ol' 78

Postby Scarab Pilot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 am

If you struggle with depression, 90% of this album will send you into what I call the "deep darkies" (stolen from the movie 'The Visit'). I got the cd Saturday when I was in the midst of a run of deep depression. I knew ahead of time this was a mood cd but I didn't anticipate the mood being repeated themes sorrow, grieving, loss and isolation. Steve let us see right inside his heart and where he's been since the loss of Kelly.

I had to turn the cd off after I got to "We Fly". It was too much sadness, loneliness, feelings of loss and frankly trite lyrics. I haven't looked at the lyrics but it seems he didn't spend a lot of time on second and third verses. The choruses on the what I think are uptempo songs are really good. But as with FTLOSM and somewhat with Street Talk, he's missing the writing core of Neal and Jon. Life is all about balance and Traces is way off balance. If its a therapy album for Steve to get his feet wet and get back into the groove - that's great. This is not the cd for casual Perry or Journey fans.

I love hearing his voice again. There have been plenty of other comments regarding his voice strength and range which I agree with. I love hearing him again. But if there is any more music to come, I think he needs to turn up the tempo and leave the sadness and foreboding behind. He seems very happy right now in all the interviews and stories. I know he is a very sensitive soul but recovery from a deep lose is to forge ahead, find the joy in the life we have left to live. He has some living to do in the happy sense of the phrase.

I also agree with sequencing of the songs. A few of bonus tracks should have been in the main release. Much stronger songs and would have lightened the mood sledgehammer.

My favorites are: No more cryin', In the Rain, Sun Shines, Gray, Easy to Love, Angel Eyes (bonus), Call on me (bonus), Could we be something again (bonus, although the " Do you want a little Yah Yah" seemed like silly lyrics), No erasin'. Still on the fence about "We're Still here".
"Well let me tell you what problems Steve Perry has. The only problem Steve Perry has is that he's alive just like you are and he has to wake up in the morning like you do and he has to face the world exactly like you do. " ~ Steve Perry
Scarab Pilot
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 am

Scarab Pilot wrote: Could we be something again (bonus, although the " Do you want a little Yah Yah" seemed like silly lyrics),

A little silly, but also trademark Perry. Reminds me of Na Na Na on LTS. Should have been on the regular release.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Scarab Pilot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:18 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Scarab Pilot wrote: Could we be something again (bonus, although the " Do you want a little Yah Yah" seemed like silly lyrics),

A little silly, but also trademark Perry. Reminds me of Na Na Na on LTS. Should have been on the regular release.

Interesting thought. I love it. Made me smile - and definitely should have been in the regular release.
"Well let me tell you what problems Steve Perry has. The only problem Steve Perry has is that he's alive just like you are and he has to wake up in the morning like you do and he has to face the world exactly like you do. " ~ Steve Perry
Scarab Pilot
LP

Postby Gideon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 am

I know SP has been teasing a possible tour to support Traces, but I’m deeply skeptical.
It occurred to me for the first time during the end of GMA that he hasn’t sang a single song during any of his interviews, specials, or promotional appearances.

Could be wrong, but I don’t think we’ll hear him live.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:46 am

Gideon wrote:I know SP has been teasing a possible tour to support Traces, but I’m deeply skeptical.
It occurred to me for the first time during the end of GMA that he hasn’t sang a single song during any of his interviews, specials, or promotional appearances.

Agreed.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Onestepper » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 am

Gideon wrote:I know SP has been teasing a possible tour to support Traces, but I’m deeply skeptical.

I think you are right as well. I just get the feeling he just doesn't want to perform. Which is fine, I'll take what I can get at this point. But it would be nice to see him do some small intimate shows. I guess managing that would be tough given the response he's had.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:53 am

There's a passive-aggressive thing going on between Neal Schon and Steve Perry. On Eclipse, I bet Steve Perry heard Tantra and wished he could sing that song. You know how he could tweak it and make a great song into a masterpiece. I know Steve Perry claims he didn't listen to any of the Journey albums without him, but I think he is lying. He at least listened once to each album, and I bet Tantra floored him. Now, we move on to Traces. I bet Neal Schon listened to this album and at parts wished he was playing the soulful guitar on some of these songs. It is a passive-aggressive thing going on between the two of them!

Now, Steve Perry could make a new album with Journey and not even have to deal with Neal or Jon or anybody. His excuse does not hold water because like on Raised On Radio, Neal could go to the studio for his parts and Steve Perry doesn't even have to be there. They could make a new Journey album and Steve Perry wouldn't have to deal with all the BS around Neal and Jon and whomever. I think Perry just wants to do his own thing which is cool. Whatever he wants to do. But I am just saying a new Journey album could avoid all the problems.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Gideon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 am

I don’t think there’s any passive aggressiveness at all.
I think the evidence is pretty obvious that Neal’s being an obsequious kiss ass about SP because he’s clever enough to know (right or wrong) that SP has more recognition and public goodwill than he does.

Once upon a time that probably wouldn’t have mattered, but given how blatantly his narcissism has been inflamed by social media and his wife, a known attention whore, it makes sense that Neal will milk SP for all he’s worth when he’s waging a war with Cain and Journey management.

In other words, Neal’s a brilliant but emotionally stunted egomaniac who’s feuding with his wife (Cain) and family (management) and is desperately seeking validation from his ex gf whom he never really got over and whom everyone keeps telling him is still hot after all these years.

At least in my opinion.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby jrny84 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 am

Onestepper wrote:

I think you are right as well. I just get the feeling he just doesn't want to perform. Which is fine, I'll take what I can get at this point. But it would be nice to see him do some small intimate shows. I guess managing that would be tough given the response he's had.

I was thinking the same thing after GMA. I thought for sure he would be performing a song on that show. I don't recall seeing other artists that have an album to push choosing not perform on a show like GMA. That's usually the protocol; a short 10-15 min interview and then a live performance of a single or two.

I remember listening to the interviewer on his NPR interview jokingly ask him why he's not performing on late night shows and talk shows. He shyed away from answering it. I certainly understand where others have said he doesn't perform live if he talks all day/does interviews, but not even one song?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge Perry fan, he's my favorite vocalist. I'm ecstatic he's putting out new music and appreciative he's opened his heart. I'm just disappointed not to hear him sing live on TV. Wonder if that's a wrap for his TV show appearances.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:08 pm

here's another way to look at it..
  • Traces was released through Fantasy Records.
  • Fantasy is a subsidiary of the Concord Music Group, which owns Concord Records, Fantasy Records, Rounder Records, Telarc Records, Loma Vista Recordings.
  • Concord has worldwide distribution through Universal Music Group (UMG).

While Perry may have creative control and ownership of his music, having the deal with Fantasy/CMG/UMG had to have cost him some percentage of sales. Normally, the business side of Fantasy/CMG/UMG will want any artist to tour to maximize sales potential. With Perry its a no-brainer... BUT what if Perry has already put the kibosh on touring and they entered into the relationship knowing this. It would explain why Perry is so vague on touring.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Pacfanweb » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm

slucero wrote:here's another way to look at it..
  • Fantasy is a subsidiary of the Concord Music Group, which owns Concord Records, Fantasy Records, Rounder Records, Telarc Records, Loma Vista Recordings.

While Perry may have creative control and ownership of his music, having the deal with Fantasy/CMG/UMG had to have cost him some percentage of sales. Normally, the business side of Fantasy/CMG/UMG will want any artist to tour to maximize sales potential. With Perry its a no-brainer... BUT what if Perry has already put the kibosh on touring and they entered into the relationship knowing this. It would explain why Perry is so vague on touring.

I don't really think he's being vague. He's practically telegraphing it to us that he's going to tour once all the hoopla of his return and the interview tour is done.
In the RS interview, he even talked about the fact that he's going to play Journey songs live. He wouldn't be saying that if he was being "vague" and a tour wasn't already in the works. When he says "I'd love to tour" as he's done multiple times, that's not being vague or coy....anybody would book a Steve Perry tour so it's not like he's saying that so promoters will call and ask him to come.
He's going to tour, and it'll be probably after the first of the year I'd say.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Pacfanweb wrote:
I don't really think he's being vague. He's practically telegraphing it to us that he's going to tour once all the hoopla of his return and the interview tour is done.
In the RS interview, he even talked about the fact that he's going to play Journey songs live. He wouldn't be saying that if he was being "vague" and a tour wasn't already in the works. When he says "I'd love to tour" as he's done multiple times, that's not being vague or coy....anybody would book a Steve Perry tour so it's not like he's saying that so promoters will call and ask him to come.

I think you're reading into what he is saying on record. He has not committed to anything.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:13 am

I was listening to this new song and one line is "Do you wanna ya ya?" Suddenly, Steve Perry's new album sounds like the Santana album from a few years back. Now, Perry has a passive-aggressive thing with Carlos Santana. Carlos did say something about he would get Perry back with Journey. Perry is saying on this song, "F off!"

Perry probably won't tour. But making everybody think he will tour is probably good for album sales. If Perry just wants to put out a new album every couple years without touring, that would be cool.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby shaneslatts » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:53 pm

One thingI've learned here is to respect TNC here as I think he's the most objective person here.
BUT, I do think Perry will "Tour".
If "touring" means a very limited, maybe 20 or so shows so he does not burn out.
I think in the right venues he'd be in his own environment.
Smaller and intimate.
And I think he'd do really well...Just a hunch on my part.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby slucero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Pacfanweb wrote:

uhuh.....

Perry just did an interview on Kerrang... here's the last question..

https://www.kerrang.com/features/steve-perry/

And are you going to tour?

I don’t know. We’re talking about that. All I know is that I’m on this promotional tour that started in Minneapolis and which has now brought me to London, and then we’re going back to New York for the release of Traces. After that, I believe we’re probably going to have conversations about touring, after I’ve taken a little bit of a break.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 pm

shaneslatts wrote:One thingI've learned here is to respect TNC here as I think he's the most objective person here.
BUT, I do think Perry will "Tour".
If "touring" means a very limited, maybe 20 or so shows so he does not burn out.
I think in the right venues he'd be in his own environment.
Smaller and intimate.
And I think he'd do really well...Just a hunch on my part.

Thanks. I appreciate that. I hope you're right.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:42 am

I am loving Traces! I know that makes me a rare bird. Most people hate it. But I hear Steve Perry's passion in all of these songs. They aren't depressing to me at all. They are emotional and that is what songs are supposed to be. I am digging this stuff. Steve Perry, you did a great job! I, for one, am glad you are back.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:58 am

JourneyHard wrote:I am loving Traces! I know that makes me a rare bird. Most people hate it. But I hear Steve Perry's passion in all of these songs. They aren't depressing to me at all. They are emotional and that is what songs are supposed to be. I am digging this stuff. Steve Perry, you did a great job! I, for one, am glad you are back.

Huh?
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:10 am

most people hating it?
:?:
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 am

Memorex wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:I am loving Traces! I know that makes me a rare bird. Most people hate it. But I hear Steve Perry's passion in all of these songs. They aren't depressing to me at all. They are emotional and that is what songs are supposed to be. I am digging this stuff. Steve Perry, you did a great job! I, for one, am glad you are back.

Huh?

I really like it! I don't expect every album to be peppy, happy, and everything is great. Its not reality and definitely not how life goes. This is an album with raw emotion and great songs. I have read some of the reviews on Amazon about how its too depressing, too many ballads...blah blah blah. Why does every album have to be happy? Perry said over and over that its about his broken heart and what he's been through.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Moonglow » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:11 am

As some folks have said, I think this album has been of tremendous therapeutic value for Steve. He genuinely seems to be in a good place from the interviews I’ve seen.

The songs on the album are love letters to Kelly. I like about a half-dozen of the tunes on the record, to include the occasional "whiff" of Journey sprinkled here and there. I’m hoping for at least a one-off, well-produced, intimate show, even if it is pay-per-view.
Moonglow
Radio Waves

Postby tater1977 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm

ROCK-HALL

Journey's Jonathan Cain talks Rock Hall, autobiography, daughter being on The Voice and Steve Perry

https://www.wkyc.com/gallery/entertainm ... -603405333

… Perry recently returned to the musical spotlight with the release of "Traces," the singer's first solo album in 24 years. I asked Cain if he had listened to the album and what he thought.

"I think it's very emotional. It's cool. It's his first one and I think there's more to come from him. And good for him. He should be singing. And it's undeniably Steve. So I wish him all the best with it and congratulations." …
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby shaneslatts » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:55 pm

I've listened to this Album several times now.
I don't know how else to say this but I think a lot of "us" were expecting a Journey sound or even a Street Talk sound.
I played the first release, "No Eracin" for a friend at work on my crappy old Galaxy S3, and soon as Perry started singing, her eyes lit up and she said "wow...that VOICE"
This IS a moody Album, and I think much of it deals not only with Loss but with survivorship. I had stage 4 throat cancer 6 years ago, and by Gods grace, I'm still here...
My friend and older "brother" ( a brother to me) was diagnosed the same week and passed three years ago.
A Bronze Star with Valor, Two Purple hearts from the Nam War.
After surviving, I went through a deep sense of guilt that I survived, and he didn't.
As a survivor, much of this Album reflects that to me....
( We're still here, October in New York, and others).
What I'm saying is I Expected a moody album, and alot of it brought me to tears.
It was also very therapeutic for me as well.
It kind of reinforced the idea in me that it's OK to hurt, feel loss and feel even a little guilty that I'm here, and my friend, my brother ISN'T.
I would think Steve understands all that as well, as he's also a survivor.
All of that, those feelings are reflected in this Album.
I truly love it.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby Pacfanweb » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 pm

slucero wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:

uhuh.....

Perry just did an interview on Kerrang... here's the last question..

https://www.kerrang.com/features/steve-perry/

And are you going to tour?

I don’t know. We’re talking about that. All I know is that I’m on this promotional tour that started in Minneapolis and which has now brought me to London, and then we’re going back to New York for the release of Traces. After that, I believe we’re probably going to have conversations about touring, after I’ve taken a little bit of a break.

Immediately before that, he says:

The point being is that you don’t seem to be in the nostalgia racket. If you tour, will you be happy playing all your old songs?

I’ll play all the songs that people want to hear. I’m all about making new music, but onstage I will play my old songs and be grateful that people want to hear them.

Sounds to me like he's already made up his mind. He's just not telling us about it yet.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:33 pm

shaneslatts wrote:I've listened to this Album several times now.
I don't know how else to say this but I think a lot of "us" were expecting a Journey sound or even a Street Talk sound.
I played the first release, "No Eracin" for a friend at work on my crappy old Galaxy S3, and soon as Perry started singing, her eyes lit up and she said "wow...that VOICE"
This IS a moody Album, and I think much of it deals not only with Loss but with survivorship. I had stage 4 throat cancer 6 years ago, and by Gods grace, I'm still here...
My friend and older "brother" ( a brother to me) was diagnosed the same week and passed three years ago.
A Bronze Star with Valor, Two Purple hearts from the Nam War.
After surviving, I went through a deep sense of guilt that I survived, and he didn't.
As a survivor, much of this Album reflects that to me....
( We're still here, October in New York, and others).
What I'm saying is I Expected a moody album, and alot of it brought me to tears.
It was also very therapeutic for me as well.
It kind of reinforced the idea in me that it's OK to hurt, feel loss and feel even a little guilty that I'm here, and my friend, my brother ISN'T.
I would think Steve understands all that as well, as he's also a survivor.
All of that, those feelings are reflected in this Album.
I truly love it.

Strange Medicine was also introspective, dark, and moody. However, those songs were interspersed with some upbeat rockers as well. "Sun Shines Gray" is a good palette cleanser coming after a ballad. Album needed a few more of those. Regarding the Street Talk sound....Angel Eyes is as motown-y as it gets.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

PreviousNext

Return to Journey