Traces

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Traces

Postby Pacfanweb » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 pm

slucero wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:
slucero wrote:here's another way to look at it..
  • Traces was released through Fantasy Records.
  • Fantasy is a subsidiary of the Concord Music Group, which owns Concord Records, Fantasy Records, Rounder Records, Telarc Records, Loma Vista Recordings.
  • Concord has worldwide distribution through Universal Music Group (UMG).

While Perry may have creative control and ownership of his music, having the deal with Fantasy/CMG/UMG had to have cost him some percentage of sales. Normally, the business side of Fantasy/CMG/UMG will want any artist to tour to maximize sales potential. With Perry its a no-brainer... BUT what if Perry has already put the kibosh on touring and they entered into the relationship knowing this. It would explain why Perry is so vague on touring.

I don't really think he's being vague. He's practically telegraphing it to us that he's going to tour once all the hoopla of his return and the interview tour is done.
In the RS interview, he even talked about the fact that he's going to play Journey songs live. He wouldn't be saying that if he was being "vague" and a tour wasn't already in the works. When he says "I'd love to tour" as he's done multiple times, that's not being vague or coy....anybody would book a Steve Perry tour so it's not like he's saying that so promoters will call and ask him to come.
He's going to tour, and it'll be probably after the first of the year I'd say.

uhuh.....

Perry just did an interview on Kerrang... here's the last question..

https://www.kerrang.com/features/steve-perry/

And are you going to tour?

I don’t know. We’re talking about that. All I know is that I’m on this promotional tour that started in Minneapolis and which has now brought me to London, and then we’re going back to New York for the release of Traces. After that, I believe we’re probably going to have conversations about touring, after I’ve taken a little bit of a break.

Immediately before that, he says:

The point being is that you don’t seem to be in the nostalgia racket. If you tour, will you be happy playing all your old songs?

I’ll play all the songs that people want to hear. I’m all about making new music, but onstage I will play my old songs and be grateful that people want to hear them.

Sounds to me like he's already made up his mind. He's just not telling us about it yet.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:33 pm

shaneslatts wrote:I've listened to this Album several times now.
I don't know how else to say this but I think a lot of "us" were expecting a Journey sound or even a Street Talk sound.
I played the first release, "No Eracin" for a friend at work on my crappy old Galaxy S3, and soon as Perry started singing, her eyes lit up and she said "wow...that VOICE"
This IS a moody Album, and I think much of it deals not only with Loss but with survivorship. I had stage 4 throat cancer 6 years ago, and by Gods grace, I'm still here...
My friend and older "brother" ( a brother to me) was diagnosed the same week and passed three years ago.
A Bronze Star with Valor, Two Purple hearts from the Nam War.
After surviving, I went through a deep sense of guilt that I survived, and he didn't.
As a survivor, much of this Album reflects that to me....
( We're still here, October in New York, and others).
What I'm saying is I Expected a moody album, and alot of it brought me to tears.
It was also very therapeutic for me as well.
It kind of reinforced the idea in me that it's OK to hurt, feel loss and feel even a little guilty that I'm here, and my friend, my brother ISN'T.
I would think Steve understands all that as well, as he's also a survivor.
All of that, those feelings are reflected in this Album.
I truly love it.

Strange Medicine was also introspective, dark, and moody. However, those songs were interspersed with some upbeat rockers as well. "Sun Shines Gray" is a good palette cleanser coming after a ballad. Album needed a few more of those. Regarding the Street Talk sound....Angel Eyes is as motown-y as it gets.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby brywool » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:07 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Strange Medicine was also introspective, dark, and moody. However, those songs were interspersed with some upbeat rockers as well. "Sun Shines Gray" is a good palette cleanser coming after a ballad. Album needed a few more of those. Regarding the Street Talk sound....Angel Eyes is as motown-y as it gets.

Angel Eyes sounds like it could've been an older track, maybe recorded years ago. Just sounds different from the rest of the album.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:17 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
shaneslatts wrote:I've listened to this Album several times now.
I don't know how else to say this but I think a lot of "us" were expecting a Journey sound or even a Street Talk sound.
I played the first release, "No Eracin" for a friend at work on my crappy old Galaxy S3, and soon as Perry started singing, her eyes lit up and she said "wow...that VOICE"
This IS a moody Album, and I think much of it deals not only with Loss but with survivorship. I had stage 4 throat cancer 6 years ago, and by Gods grace, I'm still here...
My friend and older "brother" ( a brother to me) was diagnosed the same week and passed three years ago.
A Bronze Star with Valor, Two Purple hearts from the Nam War.
After surviving, I went through a deep sense of guilt that I survived, and he didn't.
As a survivor, much of this Album reflects that to me....
( We're still here, October in New York, and others).
What I'm saying is I Expected a moody album, and alot of it brought me to tears.
It was also very therapeutic for me as well.
It kind of reinforced the idea in me that it's OK to hurt, feel loss and feel even a little guilty that I'm here, and my friend, my brother ISN'T.
I would think Steve understands all that as well, as he's also a survivor.
All of that, those feelings are reflected in this Album.
I truly love it.

I'm hoping that if he decides to release another Album, it's lighter and yes, with more up beat material.
I know this will never happen, but if Schon chills out, he could contribute that more upbeat rock sound.
Kind of sad really, because they bounced off each other well.
I can dream, lol.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:30 am

I stand corrected. I got the feeling from the message board that people didn't like Traces. Maybe they just want more rockers. But on Steve Perry's other solo albums, he didn't really have rockers in the way Journey did. On Street Talk, there was Strung Out. That is not a really big rocker like Escape or Edge of the Blade. On For The Love Of Strange Medicine, there were many songs with electric guitar solos, but I wouldn't call any of them a big rocker like Chain Reaction or Dead or Alive. In Steve Perry solo album world, No Erasin' is a rocker. I bet Perry considers half the album to be rockers. But they aren't rockers in the sense of Journey, but only in Steve Perry solo album sense of the word rocker.

Also, even if Perry was going to rejoin Journey, he would NOT say it now. He is all about Traces right now. In two years, there could be something. Probably not. But who knows? I didn't think Perry would ever come back in any way at all. So this is all a bonus.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby slucero » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Pacfanweb wrote:
Sounds to me like he's already made up his mind. He's just not telling us about it yet.

That's why in my original message I said..

"BUT what if Perry has already put the kibosh on touring and they entered into the relationship knowing this. It would explain why Perry is so vague on touring."

IMHO him saying he's gonna tour is just lip service... which, to be honest, looking at his historical communications, isn't new for him...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Shadowsong » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:40 am

I've fallen & I can't get up!!!! :mrgreen:

So I'm here to share in the PARTY!!!!

:P
~Shadow~

There is a seed within called hope
Waiting for the chance to grow
There's forever flowing from your soul
Waiting for the spirit to be flown
Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby youkeepmewaiting » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Ok so now that the pressure of really wanting to love it has passed ... I love it
youkeepmewaiting
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:31 pm

JourneyHard wrote:On Street Talk, there was Strung Out.

There's alot more variety and up tempo songs on Street Talk. "I Believe", "You Should Be Happy", "It's Only Love" etc.For Traces, we have "Sun Shines Gray" and "Easy to Love." That's it. I've lived with the album for a few weeks now. Overall? While I respect the tracks individually, the album is sequenced quite horribly. It's a downer. It's a buzzkill.
Let's be honest, Traces makes Perry Como look like Metallica.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Shadowsong » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:19 am

Nothing wrong with the classics like Tony Bennett & Perry Como...oooh translated meaning Perry How or Perry Trick :P

Rod Stewart did some lounge acts...Steve Perry has the chops for it! I've heard it & imho that's what he should have done.

Steve looks great but he is 69 & I really don't want to see him doing AC DC.

I'm guessing no label would touch a classic Steve Perry album as it diverges to far from his home base reputation of Journey.

Still I think Steve Perry can stand/sing on his own. He is more rooted in the motown era R&B than the likes of Perry Como & I'm sure this is how he wanted it to sound. These are the songs that came from his heart & said what he wanted to say.

Don't think he was sitting down writing thinking of the Noble Cause & what he would like! :lol:

:mrgreen:
~Shadow~

Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:58 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:On Street Talk, there was Strung Out.

There's alot more variety and up tempo songs on Street Talk. "I Believe", "You Should Be Happy", "It's Only Love" etc.For Traces, we have "Sun Shines Gray" and "Easy to Love." That's it. I've lived with the album for a few weeks now. Overall? While I respect the tracks individually, the album is sequenced quite horribly. It's a downer. It's a buzzkill.
Let's be honest, Traces makes Perry Como look like Metallica.

That's true. Like you said before, Angel Eyes is upbeat song. I don't think any current radio format would play Angel Eyes, but it could be a hit. It is upbeat and you can just repeat the line Steve sings. It is like you are doing a duet with Steve Perry!
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Shadowsong » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:45 am

I guess I have to hear Steve Perry's Angel Eyes...but for now all that comes to mind is one of my fav Steel Hearts...
"I'll Never Let You Go"!

Now those are some serious highs!!!

This one turns me inside out...I'm sorry but this is where Angel Eyes need to gaze...sighs

Takes my breath away...

A voice that soars above the heavens & gives me angels wings!!!!

https://youtu.be/NRSHmyK9o-k

Timeless love for there was no time for the woes of time
& all the circumstance to tear it down.
Love held high above in a special place.
Life focuses on what really matters as time is of the essence.

There's no time to get tired of each other's flaws or fall out of love.
The fire burns bright til the end...
Perfect love in love with all of the imperfections...
No one else can ever hold a candle to light that place

For the ones left behind...

Cried a river til exhausted I fell into the water & the tears swept over me washing me out to sea.
Last edited by Shadowsong on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
~Shadow~

Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:37 am

I am bored. So, here is a possible Steve Perry solo concert set list:
1. Separate Ways
2. Any Way You Want It
3. One More
4. Lights
5. When I Think Of You
6. Stone In Love
7. You Better Wait
8. No Erasin'
9. We're Still Here
10. No More Cryin'
11. Sun Shines Gray
12. Angel Eyes
13. Wheel In The Sky
14. Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin
15. Who's Cryin' Now
16. Faithfully
17. Can't Tame The Lion!
18. Oh Sherrie
19. Don't Stop Believin'

By playing deep cuts from Trial By Fire and his solo stuff, it keeps the set fresh.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:19 am

Sitting in a restaurant right now. No More Cryin’ is on the radio.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:50 am

after 8 weeks No Erasin' hasn't budged from the low 20's. At 24 now. peaked at 20.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Journey