Steve Perry Interviews

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Steve Perry Interviews

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:23 am

Sighlence wrote:Q104.3 interview on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSlDsjSVRLI

Thanks for the link. One of his best interviews yet.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:34 am

Journey's Steve Perry Talks About His Long-Awaited Comeback

posted by Carter Alan -
Aug 21, 2018

https://wzlx.iheart.com/featured/carter ... r-so-long/

Legendary singer-songwriter and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee Steve Perry became a star with Bay Area band Journey, touring the world and selling platinum with every album release. Perry's last gig with Journey was in 1987 and he officially parted ways with the group in 1998. Since then, he's been hard to find...until now.

The iconic singer makes his long-awaited return with "Traces," his first new album in nearly a quarter century, out Friday October 5th, 2018 on Fantasy Records.

Perry introduces "Traces" with lead track “No Erasin’” and reassuringly greets fans with the opening line “I know it’s been a long time comin’.” The track is an emotional homecoming, a familiar welcome from the iconic voice and writer of Journey's timeless, global hits including “Don’t Stop Believin’,” “Faithfully,” and “Separate Ways" as well as the significant solo success of “Oh Sherrie” and “Foolish Heart.”

Perry says, “Putting 30 years into 10 songs has certainly been an emotional experience for me. I started writing and recording these songs with the creative freedom that I was the only one who would ever hear them. Along the way, I rediscovered my love for music. Each track represents traces of my past, but is also a hopeful look into the future.”

Steve called WZLX's Carter Alan and the two chatted about the legend's MIA status and moving forward with his new album.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Steve Perry On Life After Journey And Getting Back To Music After 25 Years

1067LitefmNY

Published on Aug 21, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuUdu9t3qEQ
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:12 am

I wish one of these interviewers would ask if he's read Cain's book and what he thought,of the parts pertinent to him.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tammy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:03 am

tater1977 wrote:Steve Perry On Life After Journey And Getting Back To Music After 25 Years

1067LitefmNY

Published on Aug 21, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuUdu9t3qEQ

Love this interview, too...just wish they'd stop interrupting & let him talk (and talk and talk) And, holy cow..the high note! :D that was surreal! I still feel like I'm dreaming this all.
tammy
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:32 am

okay maybe I missed this one. Crazy he was here in the Minnesota live interviews the day of his single release.
Talks about the Eels show in Saint Paul, which still p*sses me off as its like a 15 min bike ride away.
If there is a station in the twin cities that would play him, this would be the only one. Hope they are. Its way to indy for me but to have him on was pretty cool. Even does a little bit of Purple Rain and Aretha, but only a lite vocal.

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2018 ... bum-traces
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:56 am

scarab wrote:okay maybe I missed this one. Crazy he was here in the Minnesota live interviews the day of his single release.
Talks about the Eels show in Saint Paul, which still p*sses me off as its like a 15 min bike ride away.
If there is a station in the twin cities that would play him, this would be the only one. Hope they are. Its way to indy for me but to have him on was pretty cool. Even does a little bit of Purple Rain and Aretha, but only a lite vocal.

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2018 ... bum-traces

They played the whole song and followed up with faithfully. please request the song on there website.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:24 am

Sarah and guest host Marcus welcomed the legendary Steve Perry into the Alice studios today in San Francisco.

Perry talked with the crew about his new album Traces, the rigors of touring, why he left Journey, and more.

Traces is out on October 5th and you can listen to the first single "No Erasin'" now.

*Explains more of the artwork*

https://radioalice.radio.com/blogs/sara ... rry-studio
jrny84
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 am

Doug Aldrich & Deen Castronovo-The Dead Daisies Interview-The Metal Voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... JCL0bBKzbo

Deeno talking SP / Journey :lol:
11.11 - 11.50 mark
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby jrny84 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:16 am

Seems like the interviews and hype has slowed some. I wonder if Steve is planning more interviews and TV appearances when the album release date gets closer or has the interest waned some?
jrny84
8 Track

Postby scarab » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 pm

next song drops next week. hopefully he will do some tv interviews in the next few weeks.
I still cant believe all the interviews he did in the first two weeks. (and the crazy thing so many in the studio ones).
Hope he had a private jet :lol:

Have heard no erasin' a couple times on the current in mpls. I dont listen to but the guy I share a work space does.

Still think it was cool he started them here in the twin cities.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:52 pm

scarab wrote:next song drops next week. hopefully he will do some tv interviews in the next few weeks.
I still cant believe all the interviews he did in the first two weeks. (and the crazy thing so many in the studio ones).
Hope he had a private jet :lol:
Have heard no erasin' a couple times on the current in mpls. I dont listen to but the guy I share a work space does.

Still think it was cool he started them here in the twin cities.

I'm sure he doesn't fly commercial :D :) :D
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby jrny84 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:06 am

https://twitter.com/PaulStanleyLive

@PaulStanleyLive
Follow Follow @PaulStanleyLive
More
WELCOME BACK @StevePerryMusic Sounding great as always and you were missed. @JourneyOfficial

8:03 PM - 15 Aug 2018
jrny84
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:07 am

Steve Perry: “This is the reason I’ve been gone for almost 25 years…”
Joe Romano / September 6, 2018
Chicago

https://wgnradio.com/2018/09/06/steve-p ... for-music/
- 14.04 length

Former Journey lead singer Steve Perry has been in isolation for almost 25 years.
In a heart-wrenching story about death, Steve tells Pete WHY and WHO made
helped him make a comeback. Steve also answers IF he’ll ever reunite with
Journey and how the 2005 White Sox got his phone number to bring him to town.
Take some time and listen to one of the best interviews this year!

- hotdogs and French fries :lol:
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Mike & Carla Morning Show Podcast: Show #1504
Las Vegas
/ 96.3 KKLZ

https://963kklz.com/episodes/mike-carla ... show-1504/
- 5.55 - 7.00 mark

New Steve Perry song, football picks for the new season, thee worst pizza ever,
Kenny Loggins and much more in this episode of The Mike & Carla Morning Show!

- 15.25 -
- Kenny tried to find / get Steve to sing ''Don't Fight It' on his PBS Special
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:52 am

Fun 101 classic hits / Jim and Carrie
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Jim and Carrie talk with Steve Perry from Journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf8GGE3lGXQ

Jim and Carrie talk with Journey's Steve Perry on Fun 101.7
Last edited by tater1977 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:39 am

K&K Steve Perry interview

Karson and Kennedy
mix1041 / Boston

https://mix1041.radio.com/media/audio-c ... -interview
- 6.08 length

- funny one - Kennedy fangirlin'
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:56 pm

Blaine Fowler @BlaineFowler

Monday at 7:48am ET we talk to @StevePerryMusic on @963WDVD .
He tells a great story about how he wrote one of Journey’s best songs in Detroit—
and it’s not “Don’t Stop Believin’” @LaurenCrocker_ @MattyMcFlye

Blaine Fowler @BlaineFowler

We talked to @StevePerryMusic on @963WDVD. What a great guy! Here's the unedited interview. Please listen to it. One of my favorite interviews ever!

https://www.facebook.com/963WDVD/videos ... 438205786/
-12.55 length
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby jrny84 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 am

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/st ... 7b00445657

Steve Perry Quit Journey And Never Looked Back. Then Music Saved His Life Again.
“I needed to get out. It wasn’t easy to keep walking,” the singer said about leaving music.
By Lauren Moraski

Steve Perry returns with his first new solo album since 1994. 
MYRIAM SANTOS
Steve Perry returns with his first new solo album since 1994.
Imagine riding a motorcycle down an open road in the country, with alfalfa fields on both sides as far as the eye can see ― with a warm wind blowing in your hair and the sun beating down on your face.

That’s a lot of what singer Steve Perry has done since playing his last show with Journey in 1987. At the top of his game, he decided to walk away, leaving one of the biggest bands around. This after scoring hit after hit with “Don’t Stop Believin’,” “Faithfully,” “Open Arms” and “Separate Ways” ― on top of solo singles “Oh Sherrie” and “Foolish Heart.”

“I wasn’t going to walk away through the back door,” Perry told HuffPost. “That’s not walking away. That’s not returning to my hometown, my farm community and smelling the alfalfa again and going to my favorite ice cream parlor that my grandfather took his son ― my dad ― and my dad took me. And having delicious chocolate chip ice cream in Hanford [California]. I had to walk away.”

Though he has made a couple of appearances with Journey (most recently at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2017) and reunited for the 1996 Journey album, “Trial by Fire,” Perry has stayed largely quiet on the music front.

But now he’s finally ready to walk into the spotlight again. After more than two decades, Perry will unveil a full-length solo album. Called “Traces,” the set ― due Oct. 5 ― finds the former Journey singer performing his own material with that signature voice that has long been missing from music. For the first time in a long time, Perry found his passion for writing and recording again. The result is a new 10-track album with five bonus songs.

“They all have a special place in my heart … They are like children to me,” Perry said of his new songs. “We gave them the best that they needed before I let them go because once you send them out into the world, there’s not much you can do. … You got to kiss it goodbye and hope that it’s charged with the honest sincerity that you hope other people will experience.”

We caught up with Perry about his new music and what he’s been up to since leaving Journey.

How are you feeling in the lead-up to this release?

You know what? That is so kind of you to ask you how I’m feeling. Most people don’t do that. I’m all over the map emotionally. It’s so strange. I’m exhilarated. I’m anxious and excited. And I’m just pensive. There are just so many feelings coming out at the same time because it’s been so many years — I would say over 31 — that I’ve really gotten into this with the passion I have now. So I didn’t know that the passion for music would return. When I left the group, I left because the passion had left my heart and I felt like I was sort of singing by numbers, emotionally. I don’t think anybody noticed, but toward the end there, I was not connecting, and my passion for music that I had found when I was 5 or 6 years old that I brought with me into my life, and I just started to lose that, and it scared the hell out of me, and I couldn’t connect with my foundation, which I was pulling my singing from and my passion for writing music too. So it has so excitedly returned to me, and I’m really, really excited about it.

I think the fans — based on chatter online — are just as excited to hear from you. So I imagine that’s a good feeling too.

It is a very good feeling. It was not a popular thing to do. I had to walk away, but I knew in my heart that ... all I had left, really, as an option was to walk into the abyss of not knowing where I’m going, and I just knew I couldn’t stay where I was. And so I just threw my fate to the wind and went back to my hometown, which was a farm community in the central San Joaquin Valley in Hanford, California, where I was raised. It’s always been an agricultural town. It’s always been the cornucopia of the world, they used to call it back in those days, because it’s just amazing what grows there, from almonds to peaches to grapes to cotton and alfalfa. I tried to reconnect and though my family was all deceased, I needed to go home and reconnect to some of the feelings and the environment. I really emotionally needed that ― really bad. So I bought a Harley-Davidson and a storage unit, and I drove my Harley through the country roads of that area.

The album kicks off with the lyric “I know it’s been a long time comin’ since I saw your face.” It’s been so long since we’ve seen your face. You’ve said you’ve been invisible for 30 years. I know you had a girlfriend, Kellie Nash, who passed away and she was among the influences who got you back into music. Why did now feel like the right time to release “Traces”?

Well, Kellie and I found each other through [writer-director] Patty Jenkins, and we were together for a year and a half. And she had already been fighting stage 4 breast cancer, but you would never know it. We were living in Manhattan, and she was getting some treatment there that was actually working for her. We lived there for almost 10 months. But she knew something had changed, just before the time Hurricane Sandy hit. We came back to the West Coast. And then about two months later, I lost her on Dec. 12, 2012. So that was the big change in my life that … a heart isn’t really broken until it’s completely broken, and that was when it got completely broken. And I thought I had a pretty good heart, but it took me two, almost three years of grieving. And slowly I got the passion back for music that I had lost when I left the group years before. I just found this songwriting thing came back. You gotta understand how much that meant to me emotionally. And I started writing these songs. Some are happy. Some are sexy. Some are rock ’n’ roll. Some are about loss, but the record has all sorts of tones to it.

Perry says a possible tour will be discussed toward the end of the year.

How did the writing and recording process come to be?

Once I built the studio in my house and I got an engineer ... named Thom Flowers, he and I got together and started putting together all these sketches I had written. We just started accumulating and recording songs and reaching, I think, for the sincerity that I remember was the most important element of music that touched me when I was 5 years old. I remember when I was in Journey, there was a sincerity in the music, with my solo projects … and so we worked hard to reach that believable sincerity in the drum performance, in the guitar performance, with the bass, the background vocals, the lead vocals and the lyrics.

When you decided to take that break, did you ever imagine that it was going to be this long of a break?

I walked away with a sincere commitment to not ever come back. That’s the only real honest walk away that had to happen … I had to walk away. And yes, I buzzed my head. And yes, I gained 60 pounds. [Laughs.] I was walking into the wind as much as possible, and if, in fact, I was ever going to experience anything ― love and passion for music — again, then I’ll figure it out. And if not, I’m OK, because we could not have done what we did any better than we already did it in the time that was right to do it.

At the time, though, even though you were away, the music you created with Journey and your solo projects from earlier in your career lived on. What was that like, watching from afar?

That’s a great question, because they did have a life. They did have something in them that continued to touch people while the music business went into boy-band land and electronic drums. I must admit, though, I was slowly opening my heart to music, because in the beginning, all I could listen to was ambient music. I couldn’t listen to anything with vocals or melodies or singers. I was kind of PTSD for music when I quit. So slowly all this stuff started to change. And here comes this era of boy band and electronic music, and I really liked the songwriting of some of it. They were well-crafted, sweet songs. One that comes to mind is [singing the Backstreet Boys’ “As Long As You Love Me”] “I don’t care who you are, where you’re from, what you did, as long as you love me.” It was this whole other landscape with garage, alternative, boy bands, and somewhere on other channels, Journey stuff was still going on. I don’t know what to say about that except that I was doing the best I could to keep walking and not feel too bad about taking care of myself, because I needed to get out. It wasn’t easy to keep walking.

Would you consider that one of the biggest risks you’ve ever taken in your life ― to walk away?

I think “risk” would be the wrong word. I would say the biggest necessity. I think that emotionally and foundationally I needed to throw myself into my hometown ― see friends, go to the fair in the summertime. At that time, my aunt was still alive. I used to take her to lunch in the ice cream parlor. … I was doing family stuff.

When you look at your life, what do you want your legacy to be? What do you want people to know about you?

Wow, I never thought about [that]. I don’t know what to say. I don’t know. I am getting older — I should start thinking about that, perhaps. Uncle Steve is no spring chicken, that’s for sure. … Well, I think it’s just ― Steve Perry was someone who was touched by music when he was 4 or 5 years old. His father was a singer, and I think in his DNA something resonated with him too. And from that point on, I was never the same. I started listening to radio at an early age. I started buying music at an early, early age. And when I got into the double digits — 10, 12, 13 years old — I was into 45s. Through some of my friends of color, I discovered R&B music. And I wanted to know why it felt the way it did, why it made me feel the way it did. And I wanted to know why Sam Cooke killed me the way he did. And why Jackie Wilson was slaying it like he did. And why Aretha [Franklin], what is she doing? And Nancy Wilson. What is going on with the Four Tops? What do you mean, ‘Baby, I need your lovin’”? ... Do you know how hard it is to this day to write a lyric that rhymes one into the next, into the next ― to where it strings together like a golden thread and you’re just along for the ride? That’s tough! So those kinds of moments changed my life. They were life-sustaining. Especially when my parents got a divorce when I was 7. So my legacy is that music saved my life. And it continues to now.

“Traces” will be released on Oct. 5.
jrny84
8 Track

Postby tammy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:15 am

The Huffington post was another great interview with Steve. But, there was another article below that that I clicked on...oh, geez...I didn't know about all that drama concerning some members of jrny and the White House! :shock:
tammy
Cassette Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:34 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/p06ll081

Steve Perry of legendary rock band Journey discusses releasing his first new music in more than 25 years with Grant Stott.
Last edited by MotherCitay on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:54 am

BBC Radio Five - a fantastic interview with Nihal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/p06llbj5
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby jrny84 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am

Really surprised that Steve hasn't been on any TV shows. I thought for sure we would see him on Ellen. What a great story he as after being in isolation for 20+ years. I remember Journey was on there at least once.
jrny84
8 Track

Postby slucero » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:28 am

jrny84 wrote:Really surprised that Steve hasn't been on any TV shows. I thought for sure we would see him on Ellen. What a great story he as after being in isolation for 20+ years. I remember Journey was on there at least once.

I'd bet he's on when the album releases..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby tammy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:33 am

MotherCitay wrote:.

Thanks for this link..it was another great talk with Steve. Like listening to a friend over coffee..so much better than regular ole interviews.
tammy
Cassette Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:58 pm

tammy wrote:
MotherCitay wrote:.

Thanks for this link..it was another great talk with Steve. Like listening to a friend over coffee..so much better than regular ole interviews.

Only a pleasure :)

And just loved hearing him speak Portuguese ... round about the 11:30 mark
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Previous

Return to Steve Perry