My thoughts on the two Traces singles

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

My thoughts on the two Traces singles

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:03 am

My thoughts on Perry's singles:

Back when FTLOSM was "in the news" and the first single came out, it was very exciting. There was all the talk of writing with Nuno, working with Melissa Etheridge, etc. Perry did lots of interviews and even had a sort of album summary released that described each song and some of the background behind them. When YBW was release, it was pretty exciting. It was a very good first single that made me want the album, especicially combined with all the other news that was coming out. Also, put all of this in the context of what was happening at that time: The Storm CD was out, Bad English "Backlash" was out...and the news they broke up. The Journey box set had been released. The Herbie roast and the Bill Graham tribute had happened. So, there was all kinds of Journey related things going on...and FTLOSM came right in the middle of it. So, it was all very exciting, YBW was great, and I was looking forward to FTLOSM.

Except FTLOSM was very average to me. I'll save the preaching on that subject, except to say that the rest of the album did not reach the level of YBW, IMO.

So, here we are today, with a simular amount of Journey stuff going on...Journey with Arnel continuing to tour. The RnR:HOF. Various spin-offs, including Augeri continuing to release iTunes singles and tour, Chalfant touring, Neal's "Journey through Time" (or whatever), even JSS in WET, etc.

In that context Perry lets out the release date of his new album, and his two singles and videos. Sorry, but they are very, very underwhelming to me. I'm not going to critique Perry, or his voice, etc...the songs themselves are simply not very exciting to me. There is no "attitude" in them that is exciting. The "studio musician" vibe is so apparent that it removes any emotion in the songs. It almost seems like the band was just there to do what they were told and get paid, and did not add any passion to their playing. I especially feel that way about "No More Cryin'". To me, that is a song where the band could have cut loose and just went for a higher level, and they fell flat. "No Erasin'" is simply imature writing...hearing a 70yr old guy sing about being in the backseat of a car with his lady is just odd.

I have read a few people wonder why Perry is not on Sony. I doubt Sony would release this album...if the two singles are any indication. The songs just do not sound like they would be a hit on modern radio and the CD will not sell hundreds of thousands of copies. Sony would not make much money on it.

IMO, this is a niche album...written to simply to express some thoughts and feelings Perry had inside that he felt he could write songs about. And, he decided to share them by releasing this album. It's a "Perry fan" album for those who would buy a CD of him reading the phone book, and whoever else who gave it a listen and likes it enough to buy it.. There is nothing "wrong" with that...it's simply Perry's version of Neal and Jonathan's solo albums where nobody really expected huge hit singles or platinum albums. They are there for their fans, not the charts or popular music, or to appease those who are critical (like me).

In summary, I'll buy the CD. But, IMO, many people are already WAY over rating it and making into something it's not. It's not a "Perry is back!" album, it's a "Perry is here..." album. For some, that is good enough to get excited about...but, it's definitely not 1984 or even 1994 redux.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Re: My thoughts on the two Traces singles

Postby scarab » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:27 am

Both songs dont over overwhelm me as well, but I know they exceeded my expectations and enjoy a lot. Will reserve my judgement after many listens when the CD does drop. Street Talk took MANY listens for me to highly enjoy it. FTLOSM 1/3 of the songs are a constant skip. (Still sucks the unreleased songs were better than 1/2 the CD). How Home At Last and Lost Angels never got released will always baffle me. Only YBW Anytime and Somewhere theres Hope truly are awesome songs from that.

For the most part I am glad he is back, and I truly hope he has a limited tour at the least. Looking forward to more interviews and hoping he does talk shows.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:25 pm

I don't disagree, the singles are good, not great. And it's not Steve, it's the writing and lack of passion in the players IMO. If I can get one rocker off the CD where he sings to his current maximum abilities, I'll be happy. He needs some fire with the rest of the band. I'm waiting the spin the entire cd at once before determining a view on the cd. He sounds good.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:28 am

Aaron wrote:I don't disagree, the singles are good, not great. And it's not Steve, it's the writing and lack of passion in the players IMO. If I can get one rocker off the CD where he sings to his current maximum abilities, I'll be happy. He needs some fire with the rest of the band. I'm waiting the spin the entire cd at once before determining a view on the cd. He sounds good.

Agreed -- the band appears to lack chemistry on the two singles thus far. Just not feeling them.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby ADALBL » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:18 pm

I could not disagree more. I don't have time right now to go through point by point, but if I get some time later I will. I found the performances to be full of emotion - both the vocals and instrument players. Both singles are stuck in my head and only seem to get better the more I listen to them.
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Postby SusieP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 am

No More Cryin needs some Blues Harp.
The Bluesy intro led me to expect Blues Harp.

I agree about the Lyrics of 'No Erasin' - I hate the back seat of your car bit.
I get that he's singing about a reunion with an old flame from High School, but I still hate those lyrics.

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby Sighlence » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 am

scarab wrote:
For the most part I am glad he is back

Yep, he's been gone for 20 years and people are complaining about "back seat of your car" lyrics and the way he sings "carrrrrr". Can't please everyone, and if you had your expectations too high you are/will be disappointed. I am also glad he is back and has exceeded my expectations. Best is yet to come.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:48 pm

A few months ago, my expectations of new Perry music were non-existent. I'll take what I can get. Parts of the songs do sound like demos with studio musicians added. Steve's solo lyrics have always been pure cheese-crusted corn. Hard to complain from my viewpoint.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby youkeepmewaiting » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:13 am

The man wrote Summer of Luv... maybe one of the cheesiest songs of all time. His lyrics sometimes were never overly strong
youkeepmewaiting
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:28 pm

ADALBL wrote:I could not disagree more. I don't have time right now to go through point by point, but if I get some time later I will. I found the performances to be full of emotion - both the vocals and instrument players. Both singles are stuck in my head and only seem to get better the more I listen to them.

I would really like to hear your thoughts because I'm just not hearing compelling stuff from the studio band. I don't doubt the studio band is composed of good and probably great players, but I'm not hearing it on the two singles. No Erasin' has some interesting instrumental layers, I suppose, but really just in an academic way to my ears -- nothing that really elevates and makes the song fly higher. I'm not even saying it's necessarily the players' faults -- it may be that Perry wanted them playing exactly as they are.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby SusieP » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Yeh, even with the 'Back seat of your car' lyrics, I'm just thrilled to bits he's finally releasing some stuff and that he's on Social media sharing with us.

I'm very interested to hear his take on the George Harrison Song that Lora mentioned.
Soon be release day, and 'No more waitin' :mrgreen:

Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:15 am

yea I'm not gonna be too critical of Perry... he's earned the right to do what he wants IMO.

besides... this might be all we get.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Sighlence » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:42 am

slucero wrote:yea I'm not gonna be too critical of Perry... he's earned the right to do what he wants IMO.

besides... this might be all we get.

I still think a Journey reunion would be the ultimate(i know, i know). I don't care if he can't hit the high notes anymore....it's where they all belong.
Last edited by Sighlence on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:02 am

All I know, I truly never thought we would hear a "new" song. Thanks to Youtube we got to hear 1/2 dozen unreleased songs that were great.
His new 2 tunes exceeded my expectations with only a few spins, I am not going to listen to them again until the album drops.
Mainly looking forward to hear 13 more new Perry songs.

And truly hoping he does even a limited tour, but if not does a few of his tunes on talk shows or whatever.
Someone brought up that he should do Car Karaoke with James Corden. That would be awesome.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:05 am

I think it's cool that he's stepping away from the Journey sound. Say what you want, but FTLOSM and ST had a lot of Journey elements there. "Oh, Sherrie" and especially "You Better Wait" (same with the movie single he did) could've been Journey singles. The new songs are not reminiscent of Journey and I think that's pretty brave of the guy AND welcomed from me. There's ALREADY a Journey Sound. There's already a Journey band. SPs voice was crucial to that sound, but why have two versions of the same thing out there? I would bet that Sony would have taken his new stuff (did someone say they rejected him? Maybe I missed that). I think he went to a different label because they are smaller and could put more time and attention into HIM. Jeez, in just the last few weeks, lookit all the Perry stuff that's been out there (interviews like never before, new website, 2 new videos, Twitter, and FB accounts, etc.). With Sony, he might've just got lost in the shuffle. Too big. After all, Sony's gonna support the big money makers and Perry's too old to be considered something that they really want to push when they can push whatever crap is selling tons of stuff these days. That's my spin on it. I think he was smart to go to the label he's on. It'll be interesting to see how sales go for Traces.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Onestepper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:03 am

I just got home after spending the last year in a medical facility fighting for my life. The last year has been a living hell. I had no idea that Perry had re-emerged and put out new material. But the moment I went to the YouTube channel and heard that voice again, it was like all of my troubles had vanished, at least for a few minutes. To hear that voice again brought me back to a time that I never thought I'd encounter. A time when I actually loved to hear music, and it meant something to me. So I don't really give a care about the individual lyrics or it is too this or too that...it's Steve F'n Perry. And I'm happy again for the first time in a long time. It's that therapeutic for me.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:07 am

Onestepper wrote:I just got home after spending the last year in a medical facility fighting for my life. The last year has been a living hell. I had no idea that Perry had re-emerged and put out new material. But the moment I went to the YouTube channel and heard that voice again, it was like all of my troubles had vanished, at least for a few minutes. To hear that voice again brought me back to a time that I never thought I'd encounter. A time when I actually loved to hear music, and it meant something to me. So I don't really give a care about the individual lyrics or it is too this or too that...it's Steve F'n Perry. And I'm happy again for the first time in a long time. It's that therapeutic for me.

Thank you for your heartfelt post. Your words really put things in perspective. I'm so sorry for all you have gone through and hope things are getting better for you now. I'm glad Steve's new music is giving you and many others joy, because that is what it is all about. Music truly can have the power to heal.
Lora
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:10 am

brywool wrote:I think it's cool that he's stepping away from the Journey sound. Say what you want, but FTLOSM and ST had a lot of Journey elements there. "Oh, Sherrie" and especially "You Better Wait" (same with the movie single he did) could've been Journey singles. The new songs are not reminiscent of Journey and I think that's pretty brave of the guy AND welcomed from me. There's ALREADY a Journey Sound.

I agree, but I have already read numerous countless comments online from people saying (paraphrasing) "No Erasin is the best Journey song since Perry left." People will hear what they want to hear.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:07 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
brywool wrote:I think it's cool that he's stepping away from the Journey sound. Say what you want, but FTLOSM and ST had a lot of Journey elements there. "Oh, Sherrie" and especially "You Better Wait" (same with the movie single he did) could've been Journey singles. The new songs are not reminiscent of Journey and I think that's pretty brave of the guy AND welcomed from me. There's ALREADY a Journey Sound.

I agree, but I have already read numerous countless comments online from people saying (paraphrasing) "No Erasin is the best Journey song since Perry left." People will hear what they want to hear.

"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby EightyRock » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:22 am

Ok here’s my 2 cents....just heard news one of my favorite guitar players of my youth slipped & fell in his yard, cracking his skull and needing brain surgery tomorrow. Not looking good for survival. If Perry, at his age, has come out of a traumatic situation he just endured and decided to let me hear the music in his soul, then I am all good with it. Never thought I would hear him again and this is all nothin’ but tasty GRAVY. If he has a short tour, too, well shit, who wouldn't want to see that? None of us are gettin’ any younger and our rock heros are dropping like flies. So, thanks Mr. Perry. It’s a nice surprise and I’m enjoying the hell out if it!
EightyRock
8 Track

Postby slucero » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:53 am

EightyRock wrote:Ok here’s my 2 cents....just heard news one of my favorite guitar players of my youth slipped & fell in his yard, cracking his skull and needing brain surgery tomorrow. Not looking good for survival. If Perry, at his age, has come out of a traumatic situation he just endured and decided to let me hear the music in his soul, then I am all good with it. Never thought I would hear him again and this is all nothin’ but tasty GRAVY. If he has a short tour, too, well shit, who wouldn't want to see that? None of us are gettin’ any younger and our rock heros are dropping like flies. So, thanks Mr. Perry. It’s a nice surprise and I’m enjoying the hell out if it!

Dickey Betts... damn...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Bon411 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:34 pm

I have to say, I've been riding this euphoric wave of his return and loving every minute of it. 2 days before No Erasin was released I came home to find my 7 yr old boy cat sprawled half dead on the floor. I rushed him to the vet hospital to find he had a blockage, his bladder was rock hard. The vet said it's a genetic thing in males because the urethra is so small. They took him back, did blood work and started IV to hopefully flush it out and the vet comes back in to tell me his kidney numbers are off the charts and they are failing. There's nothing I can do. So I had to put him down. I called one of my best friends screaming and she came right down. I still have his sister, who is mourning him...they were very attached, slept wrapped around each other every day since birth. And another girl I rescued.

So Steve's comeback is the only thing that has gotten me through this. Nothing else could have. I'm so grateful for his return and the chance to hear his voice again. And all of these wonderful interviews, I'm eating all of it up. It's so exciting to see what news we'll get each day, and the anticipation of the album finally coming out. I haven't pre ordered yet because the vet bills from that night put me over the top but I'm hoping to. I also hope that they will make more posters of the artwork because I would love one even if it's not signed. I feel like it's so special, almost like a visual song he's written, just another gift he's given us with his return.
~Sometime's It's A Bitch, Sometime's It's A Breeze~
Bon411
Radio Waves

Postby memberzonly » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 pm

memberzonly
Radio Waves

Postby jrny84 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:01 am

For sure!
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Marabelle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:51 am

Ok
Last edited by Marabelle on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:55 am

I appreciate all opinions on Perry’s new material. Having said that, I think if anybody was expecting Perry to come out with his version of Journey music, then you’re going to be disappointed. I think when Perry said he was not going back to Journey, that was more than a simple statement of not going back to the band, but not using that “Journey” formula. He wanted this album to be a personal reflection, and often, such an album takes on many different shapes and forms – not just one type of formula. You have to listen to this album with that in mind. If you are a Steve Perry fan, then you’re going to be listening to this album because of the voice, not because of the band.
I’ve liked all three singles so far, but this last one, We’re Still Here, is definitely my favorite one. It’s got an 80’s vibe to it that I’m digging. It’s got a cool guitar solo in it, the chorus is great. This album is supposed to be moody, and the music is a reflection of that fact.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby hgwy407 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:03 am

100% in agreement with the original poster. I heard the second single this morning and was completely unmoved by it. We're Still Here sounds like a filler track, at best, to my ears. I'm still crossing my fingers there are better songs on the album than the two we have heard so far.
hgwy407
Radio Waves

Postby jrny84 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:52 am

hgwy407 wrote:100% in agreement with the original poster. I heard the second single this morning and was completely unmoved by it. We're Still Here sounds like a filler track, at best, to my ears. I'm still crossing my fingers there are better songs on the album than the two we have heard so far.

Wow, I have to totally disagree on this one. We're still hear is far from being a filler track. The minute I heard it, it was so different than the other two singles. Great meaning and deep emotion in this song. Like others have said, it has a haunting feel to it. By far this is the best single so far.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby SusieP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:54 am

I LOVE 'we're still here' !!!!

Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:16 am

hgwy407 wrote:100% in agreement with the original poster. I heard the second single this morning and was completely unmoved by it. We're Still Here sounds like a filler track, at best, to my ears. I'm still crossing my fingers there are better songs on the album than the two we have heard so far.

"We're Still Here" is the third single not the second. So I have to ask, just how big of a fan are you?
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Next

Return to Journey