Traces After Some Time

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Traces After Some Time

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:24 pm

So it's almost been 2 months since Traces was released. I've waited 22 years to hear more from Steve. What does everyone think since it's settled in?
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Re: Traces After Some Time

Postby slucero » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 pm

He's done... back into the shadows..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby steveo777 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:42 pm

I still appreciate that he gave us some music, but I'm kind of over it for the most part. I'll revisit it down the road.
steveo777
MP3

Postby scarab » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Just gets better
Ballad heavy yes, but I thought he would never do this.
The +5 songs are underrated.

But not holding my breath if he tours behind it.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:54 pm

I'm still enjoying the music. Even more because I thought it would never happen. He still has so much emotion in his voice, it would be nice if he toured a bit, although I don't think that I would ever see it live.
All in all, it was worth the wait.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby yogi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:52 am

Played it for 2 solid weeks. Could only get into two songs and its now in my CD closet.

Probably wont listen to it again.

Sorry
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby jrny84 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:35 am

Played it quite a bit the first month or so. Haven't listened to it in a few weeks, Christmas music has taken priority.

Probably will revisit it after the holidays. I do enjoy at least 3-4 songs on the album.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby ADALBL » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:45 am

Honestly it gets better and better the more I listen to it. I plan on sharing a somewhat lengthy, song by song, posting on why I think this album is so great. In summary, it is very layered, but subtle and as such very satisfying. The singing is great (pitch is still perfect, phrasing is incredible) and the range surprisingly higher than I expected. Yes his voice has evolved but its still beautiful and rich. This record is also very organic feeling and extremely well recorded which is something missing from most of the mainstream music today so it just feels so good.

As for touring - I completely expect he will do at least some shows (by the way I had zero doubt - short of him getting hit by the proverbial bus - that he would someday release this music... its just so obviously in his DNA eventually it had to happen). I hope at least one of the shows is close enough for me to get to.

I also expect him to release more music in the future - and why wouldn't he, he is performing at a very, very high level and has a world-class studio in his house with lots of material still to get to... and he is having fun doing it.

For what its worth, I'm generally quite critical when it comes to music but its just impossible for me not to love this record. It continues to move me every time I listen to it which is pretty much every day. Its one of the things I said I was thankful for at our Thanksgiving dinner and everyone there understood...
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:52 am

I think the sequencing of the album is quite poor. The best track, Angel Eyes, is relegated as a bonus track. Too many ballads. Traces makes Strange Medicine look like Escape. Taken individually, the songs are fine. Some are amazing actually. But I don't plan to revisit it anytime soon. The album has actually made me appreciate Schon/Cain alot more.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tater1977 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:32 am

I take it and like it for what it is. Steve trying to share different life
expressions and experiences with us. Some will relate to it and some won't.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby jrnyfan@nc.rr.com » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:28 am

I haven't listened in a couple of weeks now - but that's not by choice, just haven't spun much Journey related stuff lately. The songs continue to grow more and more on me. I'm still rebounding from the death of my parents (lost both out of the blue over the course of 1 year in 2016). I value every expression of grief Steve emotes on this album. I know I'm in the minority (I'm fully aware it's a very strange tune), but "Blue Jays Fly" has touched me like no other song in the catalog ever has. It's like Steve just jumped into my brain and took exactly what I was (still am) feeling and turned it into a moody song. "We're Still Here" is a fav. I remain thankful that Steve is offering up some beautifully sung emotions connected to the human experience.
jrnyfan@nc.rr.com
Ol' 78

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:01 am

jrnyfan@nc.rr.com wrote:I haven't listened in a couple of weeks now - but that's not by choice, just haven't spun much Journey related stuff lately. The songs continue to grow more and more on me. I'm still rebounding from the death of my parents (lost both out of the blue over the course of 1 year in 2016). I value every expression of grief Steve emotes on this album. I know I'm in the minority (I'm fully aware it's a very strange tune), but "Blue Jays Fly" has touched me like no other song in the catalog ever has. It's like Steve just jumped into my brain and took exactly what I was (still am) feeling and turned it into a moody song. "We're Still Here" is a fav. I remain thankful that Steve is offering up some beautifully sung emotions connected to the human experience.

Me too.
To me, much of the material seems aimed at people going through a Loss.
I listen to it a lot, but not if I'm in a down mood.
I believe it's Grammy worthy.
I listen to it a few times a week.
Love it.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:58 pm

I hate it but I'm the same as you.

I have been jamming Greta Van Fleet and liking it for now.

yogi wrote:Played it for 2 solid weeks. Could only get into two songs and its now in my CD closet.

Probably wont listen to it again.

Sorry
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:11 am

I still give it a spin from time to time. It’s one of the six i have in my CD player at the moment. Figured i’d try reverse psychology and bought tickets to see GVF because, ya know, Perry will NEVER tour again. :D
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Return to Steve Perry