The Orville

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

The Orville

Postby Monker » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Just a note that they are building a Journey connection on the Orville. First, last season they did Karaoke of "Any Way You Want it":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm01FIfX6Sc

Then, in the season premier, they mention "Open Arms" in the dialog. Basically, the Captain says the commander (in the above video...) "likes that old band Journey" and to make up with her this guy should maker her dinner, open a bottle of red wine, and put on "Open Arms" and he'll be fine.

Have to wonder if they wanted to build a scene around it but couldn't get the rights to the song. Journey (including Perry) would be smart to let these things happen. It's just good exposure at this time in their careers. I have a feeling they could build more plot around Journey music, if they want to.
Monker
MP3

Re: The Orville

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:39 am

Monker wrote:Have to wonder if they wanted to build a scene around it but couldn't get the rights to the song. Journey (including Perry) would be smart to let these things happen. It's just good exposure at this time in their careers. I have a feeling they could build more plot around Journey music, if they want to.

The band has licensed DSB to be used in everything from Glee to Sopranos to even shitty MTV shows like Laguna Beach. So who knows if the band is at fault here.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 pm

On the show, they have a room where they can make any fantasy happen. Perhaps they will have Steve Perry rejoin Journey! :D
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Arkansas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:30 am

Interesting. Did you notice that Ted Danson's character is Adm Perry? And in a recent episode, a wall in Cmdr Grayson's office/quarters has a framed copy of the Escape album cover.

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Postby efrasjourney » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 am

Arkansas wrote:Interesting. Did you notice that Ted Danson's character is Adm Perry? And in a recent episode, a wall in Cmdr Grayson's office/quarters has a framed copy of the Escape album cover.

later~

Yes, I saw it. Awesome!
efrasjourney
Radio Waves

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 am

I'd have to go back and check, but I'm almost positive "Open Arms" was in that episode, in the background.

There's also a framed LP of Escape hanging in Kelly's office.

Fun show, I'm really enjoying it, and I have my Trekkie girlfriend to explain all the Trek references I don't immediately get. (I've seen most of the movies, but never watched any of the shows)
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby efrasjourney » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:I'd have to go back and check, but I'm almost positive "Open Arms" was in that episode, in the background.

There's also a framed LP of Escape hanging in Kelly's office.

Fun show, I'm really enjoying it, and I have my Trekkie girlfriend to explain all the Trek references I don't immediately get. (I've seen most of the movies, but never watched any of the shows)

Yes and no. Open Arms was in another episode. Most recent episode featured the Escape album framed in Kelly's office. Something to note is that it was just the image of the album, no Journey, no letters, just the beetle exploding out of the planet.

Love this show :D
efrasjourney
Radio Waves

Return to Journey