4. Kingdom of Desire
5. Piano interlude into White Sister
6. ends with drum solo going into You Are The Flower
7. I Won't Hold You Back
8. Stop Loving You
9. Home of The Brave
10. Rosanna
11. With A Little Help From My Friends

Yes, that's it. Yes, no Africa (the show ends with 'Come see us play live and we'll play "that song"). Still not sure why, though. Maybe its the vocals, the percussions, or whatever. I wonder....if it was because Jeff is credited on it.....well on to the new band and music.

First of the new guys can play AND sing. Vocally it was tight. Joe sang his ass off, as always. Luke was great too. Warren shared vocals with Joe on HOTB, which was not bad at all.

Joe and Luke shared vocals on the Beatles track with every band member hamming it up a little bit as well.

Dave sat in for the last 2 tracks, but didn't hear much from him except a small bit on the Beatles song. No solo keyboards part for him too. Think he was just there as show of support and to show at least 3 Toto guys on stage.

All in all, the band was tight and grooving....and they showed it. Certainly looked like they were enjoying themselves. The keyboard parts in the middle of Rosanna were replaced by sax, which gave it a fresh take. Won't Hold You Back started with guitar instead of the usual piano intro, and Luke's end solo was nice as well.

I think if there is one thing which I would nitpick......is just the lack of the keyboards sounds like we're accustomed to from a Toto show. But again, nitpicking. Still think Luke put together a bunch of solid cats to carry the torch on.

I would certainly pay to watch this band live in concert. No doubt.
Last edited by r@y on Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Re: NEW TOTO DOGZ OF OZ LIVESTREAM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 am

Thanks Roy. I am tuning in at 9pm tonight. Cool that they are doing "You Are the Flower" and "Kingdom of Desire."
Surprised they didn't do 2 cuts from Joe and Luke's upcoming solo cds.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby r@y » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Thanks Roy. I am tuning in at 9pm tonight. Cool that they are doing "You Are the Flower" and "Kingdom of Desire."
Surprised they didn't do 2 cuts from Joe and Luke's upcoming solo cds.

Enjoy. Let us know what you think.

Yeah, I would have expected the 2 new cuts as well....felt like the set list was a little light.
r@y
LP

Postby RonaldDupris » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:12 am

It would be great if they never played Africa again.
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 am

RonaldDupris wrote:It would be great if they never played Africa again.

I am more interested in deeper cuts, but you never know...

One TOTO fan on FB told me he may ask for a refund upon learning that Africa isn't played! Can't please everyone.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:25 am

Roy - another site says they did play Pamela - a fav of mine. True?
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby r@y » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:29 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Roy - another site says they did play Pamela - a fav of mine. True?

My bad ! They did too....missed it and have corrected.

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:18 pm

Just ended. Loved it. 9/10
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby r@y » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:02 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Just ended. Loved it. 9/10

Yeah, I would rate the band the same too. It's just a little lacking on the keys. I mean, I see 2 keyboard players, just don't hear em that's all.

And expected another 3,4 tracks either from their solo or some deep Toto cuts like Only The Children and maybe Fortune.

But all in all I dig the New Toto, if that's all the toto we get.
r@y
LP

Postby LtVanish » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:57 pm

I thought the backing vocals were spot on as well, really enjoyed the show. I think once these guys gel overtime they are going to be really good, especially sounding this good already. I'm glad they left Africa out, their version of With a Little Help was a good way to end the show.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby St.George » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Glad most of you liked it ...but I couldn't be more disappointed.

The setlist was really brief. There were no really deep cuts (only "You are the flower"). It was recorded (though Luke said in an interview that the first streaming would be LIVE). And they didn't unveil ANYTHING of their upcoming solo albums. So this didn't match my expectations at all.

The band was OK ...as a cover band. But too many different faces as to call this Toto. I don't see the "chemistry".

On a more positive note, I gotta say that Joe's vocals were superb.
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby PMA » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:38 am

St.George wrote:Glad most of you liked it ...but I couldn't be more disappointed.

The band was OK ...as a cover band. But too many different faces as to call this Toto. I don't see the "chemistry".

On a more positive note, I gotta say that Joe's vocals were superb.

I feel the same way about this seeming more like a cover band than Toto, even with Luke and Joseph being there. Was good but not excellent musically. Maybe it was the mix and that the keys didn't always cut through as noted by others. The keyboardist that has played with Prince just didn't have the same chops as Paich in my opinion. Guitar and vocals sounded the best which is to be expected given Luke and Joseph are now the primaries. Joseph really sounded good to me as well and the harmonies blended well. Maybe they'll gel more with time on the road. I also expected a longer show but for the money, it was worth it. Was good to see Paich on stage with them.

I have loved Toto in all it's configurations but I really don't know if I'd go see this version live.
PMA
Radio Waves

Postby JohnH » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:00 am

Rosanna: Those are some of the most iconic keyboard solos in history and the two new guys are more than capable. One has already been in the band over two years.
Sorry , that’s just lame. Luke would never allow his guitar solos to be taken over by a sax.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby RonaldDupris » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 am

This simply doesn't feel right. Obviously they sounded great and Luke/Joseph need to do whatever they feel is right but I am not a fan of this. This doesn't feel like Toto and it's taking the band right back to where it was in 2007.

David Paich is my all time favorite musician and I struggled when he left in 2003 and again in 2018. At least when he left those times, there was always a second original member besides Luke, whether it was Bobby or Steve P. For me though, this new version is just too far away from Toto.
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Postby r@y » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:48 pm

It's a shame some of y'all feel that way about this new band. Its not TOTO Toto....but it was good enough for me.

I also guess it's the reason why one was attracted to Toto to begin with. For some its Kimball, for others it could be Paich. I play both guitars and keyboards, but I started out with guitars and will always prefer guitar which was why I was pointed to Toto thru my following Luke from his session work (which was from Foster)...ultimately leading me to Toto. For me....I guess without Luke, I may feel the same way about Toto as well. That it's not Toto without Luke.

So I guess, to each his own.

Its so hard to find good records and musicianship in the current music scene so if Luke and Joe are carrying on the Toto name I am thankful for it. Something better than nothing. Even if that something doesn't sound 100% of the Toto we know.

I don't quite get the comment about the band not having chemistry. Chemistry isn't something you hear, its something you have to see to find it. And unless I am seeing it wrong, the 2 keyboardists and drummer were definitely feeling it and it showed. Vocally there was power in the choruses. Again, not sure how does one look at this as a cover band. No way will a cat with as much calibre as Lukather put together musicians to play Toto catalogue if he didn't think they were worthy.

But I do admit....Paich's touches are missed for sure. It is an integral part of Toto's sound, especially live when Paich and Luke always have this 'duel' going on on who gets to be heard on any particular song. That 'sound'....was missing. Like I said before, I see 2 keyboards, but I don't hear them. But then again, this was a 15 buck livestream show with minimal gloss and whistles and bells. In Luke's words its just giving a taste of what his band can sound like playing Toto tunes. Oh, speaking of livestream....

I know many are pissed that it wasn't 'live' live.....but how do you logistically pull off something like this totally live beamed across the globe at the same time ? It's hard man. Remember, Toto has a huge fanbase in Europe and Japan, both on totally different time zones to the US. It will be a motherfucker to pull that off and make everyone happy at the same time. This was probably the best way to do it. And it didn't sound touched up to me in any way, it sounded live and in a couple of tracks even stripped down as evidenced by the slight lack of full keyboard and synth sounds. I have no doubt in my mind it was live enough for me.
r@y
LP

Postby RonaldDupris » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:07 pm

r@y wrote:I know many are pissed that it wasn't 'live' live.....but how do you logistically pull off something like this totally live beamed across the globe at the same time ? It's hard man. Remember, Toto has a huge fanbase in Europe and Japan, both on totally different time zones to the US. It will be a motherfucker to pull that off and make everyone happy at the same time. This was probably the best way to do it. And it didn't sound touched up to me in any way, it sounded live and in a couple of tracks even stripped down as evidenced by the slight lack of full keyboard and synth sounds. I have no doubt in my mind it was live enough for me.

No one is accusing them of faking it or using touch ups. You're the only one bringing that up. It's obvious the show was real and genuine. Some people are put off by it being pre-recorded.
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Postby r@y » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:52 pm

RonaldDupris wrote:
r@y wrote:I know many are pissed that it wasn't 'live' live.....but how do you logistically pull off something like this totally live beamed across the globe at the same time ? It's hard man. Remember, Toto has a huge fanbase in Europe and Japan, both on totally different time zones to the US. It will be a motherfucker to pull that off and make everyone happy at the same time. This was probably the best way to do it. And it didn't sound touched up to me in any way, it sounded live and in a couple of tracks even stripped down as evidenced by the slight lack of full keyboard and synth sounds. I have no doubt in my mind it was live enough for me.

No one is accusing them of faking it or using touch ups. You're the only one bringing that up. It's obvious the show was real and genuine. Some people are put off by it being pre-recorded.

I brought up the touched up part because other than that, I cannot imagine why would anyone bother whether its a live beamed show, or live pre-recorded show. And I didn't give a shit that it was pre-recorded, which btw, anyone would have already known from weeks out from the first showtimes were announced. There was no way those guys were doing a live show at 3am PST ....haha.
r@y
LP

Return to Toto