Journey & TOTO - together at last.

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Journey & TOTO - together at last.

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:28 pm

Luke in the press release touts "On behalf of myself and the band, we are very honored and excited to do this tour with our old and dear friends JOURNEY. Gonna be a great night of music, and as all the guys are lifelong friends… a blast off stage as well."

Journey with Toto dates:

April 7 - San Diego, CA @ Pechanga Arena San Diego
April 9 - Glendale, AZ @ Gila River Arena
April 11 - Denver, CO @ Ball Arena
April 13 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
April 15 - New Orleans, LA @ Smoothie King Center
April 20 - Tampa, FL @ Amalie Arena
April 21 - Orlando, FL @ Amway Center
April 24 - Cincinnati, OH @ Heritage Bank Center
April 25 - Atlanta, GA @ State Farm Arena
April 27 - Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena
April 28 - Charlotte, NC @ Spectrum Center
April 30 - Columbus, OH @ Schottenstein Center
May 2 - Rosemont, IL @ Allstate Arena
May 4 - Grand Rapids, MI @ Van Andel Arena
May 5 - Indianapolis, IN @ Gainbridge Fieldhouse
May 7 - Cleveland, OH @ Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse
May 9 - Washington, DC @ Capitol One Arena
May 11 - Hartford, CT @ XL Center
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Re: Journey & TOTO - together at last.

Postby LtVanish » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:12 am

I think it's really cool to see Toto being booking in arenas in the US again. But they are being billed as a special guest, which means probably a 60 mins or less show I bet, I am going to feel ripped off.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Sundet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:45 am

Well, it'll be an evening of dirty dozens I guess. Still, credit where credit is due: Journey's rather rigid setlists are not for want of change (at least on the part of Neal Schon) and Toto - in any incarnation - are masters at changing the setlist around and doing deep cuts.

Still, imagine if this would've happened 3-4 years ago, with Journey having Schon, Cain, Valory and Smith onboard (and Pineda certainly filling his role in Perry's absence) and Toto with Paich and Porcaro still available. That bill I would have seriously considered, even with Toto contributing a mere hour onstage.

As far as I know, Journey and Toto have not crossed paths before, nor in terms of band members contributing directly to each other's side projects, with the possible exception of Mike Porcaro's excellent contributions to Steve Perry's Strange Medicine album. Obviously Lukather has played guitar with Schon, such a on Ritenour's 6 String Theory, (and they even co-billed in Japan in 1989, when Lukather did his solo thing and Schon was out with Bad English) but I don't think there are many crossroads in terms of recorded material.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby brandonx76 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 pm

Sundet wrote:As far as I know, Journey and Toto have not crossed paths before, nor in terms of band members contributing directly to each other's side projects, with the possible exception of Mike Porcaro's excellent contributions to Steve Perry's Strange Medicine album.

They definitely did in the 80's at one point. There's concert review article within the Time 3 booklet (which I no longer have) and you can read the reviewer's comments kind of throwing shade a Toto with audience response, compared to Journey. Something along those lines. I don't think it was a whole tour - but some type of festival or multi-act show.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby Sundet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:17 pm

brandonx76 wrote:
Sundet wrote:As far as I know, Journey and Toto have not crossed paths before, nor in terms of band members contributing directly to each other's side projects, with the possible exception of Mike Porcaro's excellent contributions to Steve Perry's Strange Medicine album.

They definitely did in the 80's at one point. There's concert review article within the Time 3 booklet (which I no longer have) and you can read the reviewer's comments kind of throwing shade a Toto with audience response, compared to Journey. Something along those lines. I don't think it was a whole tour - but some type of festival or multi-act show.

You're right! Journey, Toto, The Tubes and Santana shared the stage in Oakland in July 1982 for a one-off festival type gig.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby JohnH » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:21 am

Day On The Green #1: Journey, Santana, Toto, Gamma, The Tubes (June 26, 1982).

This was one of Bill Graham’s legendary Day on The Green shows at Oakland Coliseum . I was lucky to go to two - with Journey in 1983 being the first and Scorpions in 1985.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby TotoStu » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:03 am

This sounds fun! :D
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Return to Toto