Concerns about the new Toto live dvd.

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:29 am

On-stage antics notwithstanding, Byron had his strengths. Check out this live vid and tell me the guy wasn't the real deal. Sure, he couldn't sing some of Joe's stuff or Bobby's stuff, but that's to be expected. I'm not volunteering to be president of his fan club or anything, but I think he gets too much shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1_f1Qr_wc
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Joe Vana » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:54 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:On-stage antics notwithstanding, Byron had his strengths. Check out this live vid and tell me the guy wasn't the real deal. Sure, he couldn't sing some of Joe's stuff or Bobby's stuff, but that's to be expected. I'm not volunteering to be president of his fan club or anything, but I think he gets too much shit.

I can respect that...
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:29 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:On-stage antics notwithstanding, Byron had his strengths. Check out this live vid and tell me the guy wasn't the real deal. Sure, he couldn't sing some of Joe's stuff or Bobby's stuff, but that's to be expected. I'm not volunteering to be president of his fan club or anything, but I think he gets too much shit.

Unbelievable performance. This is how you do a ballad, not that Open Arms shit. I'm with you on Byron. He had his moments for sure.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:29 am

He sounded okay on the 4 songs he did for Past To Present. I think his voice fit the "dance" influenced style the label was pushing on them at the time. I think I still prefer Bobby's version of "Out Of Love," which I can't seem to find on Youtube at the moment.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Sundet » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Don't ever think Bobby Kimball sang Out of Love. Lukather did though.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:08 am

He did:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Toto-Hits ... B000005EHW

Unfortunately I can't find a Youtube link of this, but it exists. The "orchestral" arrangements aren't much to write home about, and the musicians subbing for the Toto guys are competent but uninspiring, but it's worth hearing for Bobby's versions of "Out Of Love" and "Isolation."
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoFan77 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:15 am

Bobby's version of "Out of Love" is by far, the best. It's really amazing and showcases just how great Bobby's singing is.

EDIT: If anyone wants the song, send me a PM and I'll try emailing it to you as long as it's ok with Andrew.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 am

TotoFan77 wrote:In my personal subjective opinion, Bobby's version of "Out of Love" is by far, the best. It's really amazing and showcases just how great Bobby's singing is.

Fixed that for ya!
DracIsBack
8 Track

Toto on Direct TV

Postby MrRockitRide » Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 am

I caught a live Toto concert on Channel 101 on Direct TV. I though Kimbal sounded great. The other singer in my band, who is not a fan of 80's rock at all, also commented that he sounded fantastic, which really surprised me. I am not sure if that is the same show on the DVD, but the band, vocals included, sounded just fine to me. They could have done without some of the extended jams though. If you want to hear some pathetic singing, check out the Deep Purple show that was also airing on Channel 101. In this case Steve Morse and the band were absolutely incredible, but the vocals really stunk...
MrRockitRide
Fresh Air

Postby TotoFan77 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:30 am

DracIsBack wrote:
TotoFan77 wrote:In my personal subjective opinion, Bobby's version of "Out of Love" is by far, the best. It's really amazing and showcases just how great Bobby's singing is.

Fixed that for ya!

You really need to find something productive to do with your time man, seriously, your behavior is disturbing (in my personal subjective opinion, does that make you feel better? :roll:) . Obviously everything I say and everything that everyone says on this forum is just our own opinion, it's just that we don't say "in my personal opinion" in every single one of our posts because it's already clear that it's just our opinion and it becomes tedious to keep writing that.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:00 am

Seconded. "In my opinion" is kind of implied when someone posts on a message board, no?
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Toto