TOTO tour dates announced, plus Jenny or Jackie coming back.

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

TOTO tour dates announced, plus Jenny or Jackie coming back.

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:53 am

Update from Luke (also more info over on the Noticeboard and toto99.com).

Guys,
Hi!

Hmm, " broke up" well that would be the LAST incarnation of Falling In between..
That was another band really. Calling it Toto was a stretch. GREAT band, GREAT players but NOT really the real Toto to me. Toto was high school friends ( with the exception of Bobby) who basically started this band in high school under the name Stillife and went on to BE Toto. ( should have kept Stillife as a name but I digress..haha)
When I was the LAST man standing from the first rehearsal to the last gig never missing an album or a show EVER.. Well I was not happy, boozin WAY too hard and I found I was not 'with" everyone else on many levels, business or otherwise. I felt really shitty about it all. Hence, I was hurting myself and perhaps not working to my best potential. I apologize to the band ( at that time) and to you for maybe not 'being there' for real. I was suffering other personal stuff too. My saving grace at the time was Leland Sklar my dear brother. Without a Porcaro or Paich in the band How could we call it Toto, however we went on and did some great shows. SOME things were not to my liking and some people did not get along and lots of backbiting and BS that I wont get into. Some of it was MY fault so I gotta cop to that. Once again I am really sorry. A year + without booze and ciggs, super healthy living and a good shrink has helped ALOT!
I am still friends with almost everyone. haha Even then I bear NO bad feeling towards ANYONE who has ever been in this band past to present. I Loved being with Lee as he has been a friend since I was a teenager and he was a rock for me and really the only guy I hung with.. I tried to hang on till there was no more for me...

Edit to 2010.. well with Mike not being well and some of us missing each other the REAL high school friends ( yes that includes Joe!!) got back together for the RIGHT reason.
People want to hear the hits played the way they were recorded, Joe has his voice back 100% and I loved having that power in front again and all REAL, BG vocals again strong and seeing Paich AND Steve Porcaro with THOSE real keyboard sounds, Simon back and as Lee was busy having old pal Nate East step in.. it was so much fun and so successful we thought " Hmm, maybe a few gigs once in awhile would be fun" and we can make some money etc.. please some of the hard core fans. We ALL have outside careers that keep us all busy, not to mention famlies etc.. no one really wants to make new music, not a full record anyway. MAYBE a track someday but not in the near future. I am on tour for a year anyway and enjoying a very successful sold out solo tour and my record sales are better than they have ever been so I dont wanna mess THAT up and everyone has their own very busy successful lives and once in awhile.. why not right? There is no covert BS goin on here.

As for the "Bobby question" well I can only speak for myself. He went out with HIS 'toto' and will I am sure continue to do so. You can see him where ever he plays. I wish him no ill at all. He has as much right as any other cover band. I hope he makes some new music for you to dig. I do NOT hate the guy so please dont say things like that. It is just we wanted to do something different and after 22 years Joe wanted another shot, got it, killed it and we will continue with this line up.

There IS a little surprise comin. Jory cannot come back due to another gig , ( we wish her well and love her) so we have an old dear friend gonna come back after 17 years and sing with us. I am very happy about this. We all are. I will tell you soon however you may not have to think too hard
I hope this helps and God Bless you all
I am off to play a packed house in London
Thanks for the support and sorry I dont come back here much. Try my facebook page and I WILL come back and check in from time to time
Luke
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:14 am

Sure sounds to me like he has an issue with Greg Phillinganes
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:27 am

DracIsBack wrote:Sure sounds to me like he has an issue with Greg Phillinganes

Interesting. You got all that from Luke saying "THOSE real keyboard sounds"? Given that the new Joe lineup is using real BG vox again, my guess is the FIB lineup did not want to split the tour profits and pay actual singers. Speaking of which, check out this front row YOSO clip. It's soo obvious that Bobby lips the choruses. Horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=871Wls3b-iE
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:19 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Interesting. You got all that from Luke saying "THOSE real keyboard sounds"?

More than that. He avoids talking about Greg entirely but will talk about Bobby and Lee ... and Simon is touring with the current incarnation instead of someone else.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:56 am

DracIsBack wrote:More than that. He avoids talking about Greg entirely but will talk about Bobby and Lee ... and Simon is touring with the current incarnation instead of someone else.

Good points. All the backstage footage I saw had Greg cracking Luke up, seemed like nothing but love. Oh well. Buisness can come between close friends, and usually does.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby TotoFan77 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:14 am

New dates have been announced:
http://www.toto99.com/tourdates/calendar/list.php

Regarding Greg, he is also the only person who has not logged into Totonetwork in almost years.

I'm glad to be honest. Greg was a TERRIBLE fit with Toto. He's a brilliant musician and I like him alot but he had no business being in Toto. He really ruined my interest in the band for those last few years.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 am

I don't think "those REAL keyboard sounds" is a dig at Greg...him and Luke crossed paths many, many times over the years. I think he just meant it as an authenticity thing, having the original guys. I do recall seeing an interview where where Greg talked about designing the keyboard sounds...i think he had to do it from scratch, largely, so there was definitely some tone differences, although I thought he did a great job filling in for David, as good a job as anyone could've done given the shoes he had to fill.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Irwin M Fletcher » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:23 pm

i did hear that there was a bit of a falling out with Greg P although this cud be rubbish! I think Luke just means its great to have D Paich and S Porcaro back on Keyboards like the early days. As for Bobby, well, its obvious that the Toto guys are pissed at him for marketing himself as Toto at some shows (even if its the promoters fault). although, there cud be other things there as well. I disagree with the above poster about Greg P not fitting in with Toto, i loved him with Toto! Obv, there is nobody that can take Paich's place but i think Greg brought alot to Toto, and the FIB album is possibly the best album Toto ever made (IMO). I asked Luke on facebook why David HUngate was not part of the summer tour and he told me to ask Paich,lol, so who knows what the beef if with that one. I seen Toto for the first time ever in Berlin in July and i have to sy it was magical!!! Being a Scotsman, we usually get shafted when it comes to concerts, so when i heard that Toto were doin a summer tour with most of the original lineup, i decided to travel to Berlin. i can honestly say...it was the best concert i have ever seen and im comparing that to other concerts i have seen such as KISS, VAN HALEN, DAVID LEE ROTH, AEROSMITH, U2, METALLICA, JOURNEY and even ALICE COOPER!!! No doubt the backing vocals were real, cause a few high notes were missed, but at least i knew they were genuine. One more thing i may add....i think we will see a new Toto album eventually, The guys seemed to be having so much fun on stage, its only a matter of time before somebody says 'hey lets record something', just my thoughts. peace :)
...And the cradle will rock...
Irwin M Fletcher
45 RPM

Postby TotoFan77 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:47 am

Greg tried to be the center of attention when they were on stage. It was so friggin annoying, always doing his constant ad-libing in every one of Bobby's songs and dancing around like that. It was all a bunch of crap that wasn't necessary. Not only that but judging from his interviews, I don't think he truly understand what Toto was about.

So no, Greg didn't belong in Toto at all.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:36 am

Irwin M Fletcher wrote:One more thing i may add....i think we will see a new Toto album eventually, The guys seemed to be having so much fun on stage, its only a matter of time before somebody says 'hey lets record something', just my thoughts. peace :)

Luke says we could see one track, but it would be waaay down the road. I agree tho. Put a bunch of creative guys like that together and something is bound to shake out eventually. If they're not too busy having a fun time.

As for Greg...great keyboardist, but his on-stage antics were a OTT.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby TotoFan77 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:11 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Irwin M Fletcher wrote:
As for Greg...great keyboardist, but his on-stage antics were a OTT.

Thank you.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby Irwin M Fletcher » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 am

i never seen Toto with Greg P, i only seen the FIB dvd which i loved, i enjoyed Greg on that. didn't bother me about his onstage antics, i was more upset by the absence of Paich and Mike P :cry:

Besides, was Greg P anymore zanny than Byron? lol :shock:
Irwin M Fletcher
45 RPM

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:44 am

TotoFan77 wrote:Greg tried to be the center of attention when they were on stage. It was so friggin annoying, always doing his constant ad-libing in every one of Bobby's songs and dancing around like that. It was all a bunch of crap that wasn't necessary. Not only that but judging from his interviews, I don't think he truly understand what Toto was about.

So no, Greg didn't belong in Toto at all.

Yeah, I don't disagree, but I think if the band was bothered by it, they would've told him to tone it down (or at least cut out the ad-libs). All that aside, I did enjoy his keyboard work quite a bit. And kind of randomly, I also like the way he sang Dave's parts on "Home Of The Brave," although "Africa" seemed a little below his vocal range.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby brandonx76 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:32 am

All this stuff about Greg - I dunno, I probably get the disconnect between actually having Paich and Steve Porcaro there, but I don't think there's any actual resentment with Greg Philanganes...I tend to think Greg was a hired gun, and someone who enjoyed the gig for what it was. Greg is no slouch, and his solo's during the FIB tour were phenomenal. The jumping around and "woooohhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa" stuff, was pretty funny, but still within the realm of someone rocking out. Definitely seems like a nice cat. I highly doubt there is any ill feelings between these guys, in reality. Moreso, an extremely high level of mutual respect. You have to remember, most of the Toto guys are well known session guys who have played on zillions of #1 records, as has Greg.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoFan77 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:01 am

On Toto99, under Greg's bio, they changed his time in the band from "2005 - 2008" to "2006 - 2008". I know for a fact that it said 2005 a few months ago when the site got remade and it had been listed as that for years. What do you think of that?
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby brandonx76 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:26 am

TotoFan77 wrote:On Toto99, under Greg's bio, they changed his time in the band from "2005 - 2008" to "2006 - 2008". I know for a fact that it said 2005 a few months ago when the site got remade and it had been listed as that for years. What do you think of that?

I think you're spending wayyyyy too much time on the Toto99 site....damn bro. In all honesty, not sure this says anything significant
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoFan77 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 am

Give me a break dude. I went there back when Toto99 was first re-opened back in the summer. I checked the site out again for the first time in months this past week when I saw this thread about them reuniting again for the summer. It was THIS thread that got me to check the site out again after months. So don't accuse me of shit like that.

It was easy for me to remember that it said 2005 - 2008 because I was the one that made the thread here on this site back in the summer about the new Toto99. I know the start and ending years of all the Toto members. I DID help write the bio on Wikipedia afterall so after spending so much time writing about them, it's easy to remember stuff like this. If that makes me a loser so be it. I had fun writing the Wikipedia page so I have no regrets.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby brandonx76 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:45 am

TotoFan77 wrote:Give me a break dude. I went there back when Toto99 was first re-opened back in the summer. I checked the site out again for the first time in months this past week when I saw this thread about them reuniting again for the summer. It was THIS thread that got me to check the site out again after months. So don't accuse me of shit like that.

It was easy for me to remember that it said 2005 - 2008 because I was the one that made the thread here on this site back in the summer about the new Toto99. I know the start and ending years of all the Toto members. I DID help write the bio on Wikipedia afterall so after spending so much time writing about them, it's easy to remember stuff like this. If that makes me a loser so be it. I had fun writing the Wikipedia page so I have no regrets.

I hope you're not adding any opinions to WikiPedia - Just so I'm clear, what are you suggesting the change in the years active (beginning) may mean?
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoFan77 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:11 am

Dude, CHILL OUT, I haven't touched the Wikipedia page since 2007 and have no plans to.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby brandonx76 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:20 am

TotoFan77 wrote:Dude, CHILL OUT, I haven't touched the Wikipedia page since 2007 and have no plans to.

I am perfectly chill my man, I hope you are too...

So we can agree there is no underlying meaning behind the change in years listed on the Toto99 site for Greg other than a documented time of years served? I sure hope he got paid for the years he helped the band out even if he seems to be missing some credit on the band's website.... (j/k ;-)
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby Irwin M Fletcher » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:28 am

brandonpfn wrote:
TotoFan77 wrote:Dude, CHILL OUT, I haven't touched the Wikipedia page since 2007 and have no plans to.

So we can agree there is no underlying meaning behind the change in years listed on the Toto99 site for Greg other than a documented time of years served? I sure hope he got paid for the years he helped the band out even if he seems to be missing some credit on the band's website.... (j/k ;-)

his name is on the bands website as an ex-member :shock:
Irwin M Fletcher
45 RPM

Postby brandonx76 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:00 am

Irwin M Fletcher wrote:
brandonpfn wrote:

his name is on the bands website as an ex-member :shock:

So is Bobby Kimball :roll:
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:32 am

TotoFan77 wrote:On Toto99, under Greg's bio, they changed his time in the band from "2005 - 2008" to "2006 - 2008". I know for a fact that it said 2005 a few months ago when the site got remade and it had been listed as that for years. What do you think of that?

First time I saw him with Toto was in 2005. :-)
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:58 am

Not sure what you guys are arguing about, but here's some pro-shot footage of the last tour. Great stuff all around. Some wierd choice of camera shots (why close-up on Nathan during a Luke solo?), but a must-watch for any TOTO fan. So glad Luke decided to bring this band back together, even if it is only a part-time gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFN5Bg3K ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHEC6RL6 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPE9RY4 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUtlezC_ ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk3F9kGy ... re=related
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:33 am

Yeah, I downloaded that DVD a couple days ago. I am 98% sure it's the feed from the side-stage video screens, which would explain some of the weird camera angles (and mono sound). But a great show, the band sounds amazing, including Joe.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoFan77 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:22 am

Joe definitely sounds better than Bobby at this point.

This lineup is great, I just wish Lee Sklar could be back on bass somehow.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:16 am

TotoFan77 wrote:Joe definitely sounds better than Bobby at this point.

I think it's a toss-up. Joe is more in-key and consistent, but where Bobby would lip, Joe is getting help from the BG singers. Just wondering if he can keep up this level of performance should they mix up the set.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Irwin M Fletcher » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Always funny how fans have such different opinions on things. im sure most fans will like the new live dvd more than the FIB dvd. :lol:
Irwin M Fletcher
45 RPM

Postby TotoFan77 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:13 am

I'm glad Tony Spinner is gone too. I can't believe he lasted 10 years with the group. I just watched a 2004 performance with him there as well as Greg and it was terrible.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby Irwin M Fletcher » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:45 am

TotoFan77 wrote:I'm glad Tony Spinner is gone too. I can't believe he lasted 10 years with the group. I just watched a 2004 performance with him there as well as Greg and it was terrible.

didn't mind Spinner but certainly dont miss him. i think the 2010 Toto is the best its been in years, besides Mike obv :cry:
Irwin M Fletcher
45 RPM

Next

Return to Toto