2020 Plans

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

2020 Plans

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:45 am

From Philadelphia Inquirer...

A rep clarified that Toto won’t be calling it quits completely, but rather taking a break following their long-running “40 Trips Around the Sun” tour.

“Future plans will be announced in 2020 as they unfold and become formal following what is a true break following the 40 Trips Around The Sun tour which has been on-going for more than two years now,” representative Steve Karas said in an email to the Inquirer.

https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/ ... 91016.html
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Re: 2020 Plans

Postby RonaldDupris » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:37 am

Without David, I'd rather they call it quits anyways. They've had a great run but if their founder and leader can't tour anymore, than I'd rather Toto just be put to rest.

Obviously you disagree but to me, there is no Toto without David Paich.
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:01 am

RonaldDupris wrote:Obviously you disagree but to me, there is no Toto without David Paich.

I have seen the band live without Dave and thought the shows were excellent. I agree that Dave would have to remain involved behind the scenes (ex. writing new tunes) for TOTO to truly be TOTO.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:26 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
RonaldDupris wrote:Obviously you disagree but to me, there is no Toto without David Paich.

I have seen the band live without Dave and thought the shows were excellent. I agree that Dave would have to remain involved behind the scenes (ex. writing new tunes) for TOTO to truly be TOTO.

Agreed, I'm as big a David fan as anyone, but I'd rather see the band continue than quit altogether, especially if they have someone as good as Xavier standing in.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby tedpruitt » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:46 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
... representative Steve Karas said in an email to the Inquirer.

FYI - Steve Karas is Paich's nephew. He managed the VIP interactions on this tour...
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:03 pm

I kind of agree it isn't Toto without Paich.

I get that this tour was already in motion when Dave bowed out, and like when Jeff died, there were a lot of tickets sold and a lot of commitments and livelihoods that depended on the gigs happening. They found a brilliant player to take over, and played some good shows. But I'm very much torn on the idea of them doing a new tour/initiative without Dave onboard...it's important to have at least someone responsible for writing the songs being played on the stage, not to mention that Dave is a featured vocalist on some really important tunes.

Otherwise it's sorta like post-Chris Squire Yes: you've got 6 or 7 guys onstage playing songs that no one onstage had a hand in writing, and only one or two people were even involved in the recording of. Sure, most of the audience doesn't care (Kansas is touring with an even more ridiculous lineup, and toured for 30+ years now without Kerry Livgren), but I feel very iffy about it as a superfan.

If Luke and David are there, it can still be 100% Toto, but at this point it needs to be both of them to really feel right, to me.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Luke says its not Toto without David.

There are zero plans for the band in 2020. Luke's doing a solo record/tour.

Not sure the name Toto will return at this stage.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:41 am

I'm not sure it will either, but I'm not sure it won't.

Like, I saw all 3 Nashville shows since Toto XIV (I still can't believe they played 3 shows here) from the first few rows...they obviously were enjoying playing during this run, even without Dave. (and we all know that hasn't always been the case, if you remember the end of the Bobby era)

I'm really excited about another Luke solo album, and hopefully Toto's resurgence means he can do solo dates in the US this time, but a Luke solo tour is basically a break-even proposition, financially. There's always going to be money in the Toto name, and that may be hard to turn down, assuming these legal issues get sorted out. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a fan, but I saw them play two shows without Dave and the crowd still ate it up, and this was in a place where they probably couldn't have gotten arrested even a decade ago. The Ringo gig isn't going to last forever, and I could definitely see them all sitting around in 2021 going "hey, let's go make a few easy bucks." I hate to be that cynical, but look at every 70's/80's band out there touring with skeletal lineups...our love of Toto doesn't make them any different than those bands from a practical standpoint.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:46 am

Andrew wrote:Luke says its not Toto without David.

There are zero plans for the band in 2020. Luke's doing a solo record/tour.

Not sure the name Toto will return at this stage.

That is my understanding. I really only posted this because I thought it was odd how the publicist was sort of refuting what the band had said.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:I'm not sure it will either, but I'm not sure it won't.

Like, I saw all 3 Nashville shows since Toto XIV (I still can't believe they played 3 shows here) from the first few rows...they obviously were enjoying playing during this run, even without Dave. (and we all know that hasn't always been the case, if you remember the end of the Bobby era)

I'm really excited about another Luke solo album, and hopefully Toto's resurgence means he can do solo dates in the US this time, but a Luke solo tour is basically a break-even proposition, financially. There's always going to be money in the Toto name, and that may be hard to turn down, assuming these legal issues get sorted out. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a fan, but I saw them play two shows without Dave and the crowd still ate it up, and this was in a place where they probably couldn't have gotten arrested even a decade ago. The Ringo gig isn't going to last forever, and I could definitely see them all sitting around in 2021 going "hey, let's go make a few easy bucks." I hate to be that cynical, but look at every 70's/80's band out there touring with skeletal lineups...our love of Toto doesn't make them any different than those bands from a practical standpoint.

As with Journey, there is too much money on the table not for the band to come back in some form or another (i hope).
The 2010 - 2019 lineup came back for the right reasons and never phoned it in for an easy buck. They will be sorely missed.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Sundet » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:48 pm

I actually think 2010-19 was the best and most consistent decade for Toto, ever. I think the 2010 tour was wonderful, but the fact was that they just got better and better with each tour, and even had a creative peak with Toto XIV, which still holds two or three of my all-time favourite Toto songs.

This was a great run and the band stopped at the top of their game.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby LtVanish » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:19 am

If it is the name brand Toto they can't use due to the lawsuit I hope they return and record under a new name. I know touring in the states without the name would be tough, but i doubt it would be in Europe where they are more widely known. I'll support them in any venture, even if they start selling Amway products. :mrgreen:
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:48 am

LtVanish wrote:If it is the name brand Toto they can't use due to the lawsuit I hope they return and record under a new name. I know touring in the states without the name would be tough, but i doubt it would be in Europe where they are more widely known. I'll support them in any venture, even if they start selling Amway products. :mrgreen:

I can't imagine Jeff's wife having any sort of legitimate legal claim to the name. But here we are. Such BS.
As for alternative names someday down the road...Still Life? Los Totos?
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:09 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
LtVanish wrote:If it is the name brand Toto they can't use due to the lawsuit I hope they return and record under a new name. I know touring in the states without the name would be tough, but i doubt it would be in Europe where they are more widely known. I'll support them in any venture, even if they start selling Amway products. :mrgreen:

I can't imagine Jeff's wife having any sort of legitimate legal claim to the name. But here we are. Such BS.
As for alternative names someday down the road...Still Life? Los Totos?

I wonder to what extent was the damage of the lawsuit loss ? No more using the name Toto for making new material ? No more playing any songs that only Jeff wrote, or any Toto song, period ? Or cutting Jeff's estate in (basically her) on a bigger pie for any future undertaking of the Toto name ?

Let's say Luke and Steve go out with Joe and do.....Still Life. Can they play Toto songs ? Now, if they go out and have a new name and NOT play any Toto songs, that wouldn't be fun either. Although I would still pay to go watch that show. Anytime.

Just sayin.
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby Sundet » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:52 pm

I don't think Jeff's widow can veto the use of any of the Jeff co-writes in the band's catalogue as long as proper credit is given and due royalties are paid.

However, as I have previously speculated, I suspect she has a stake in the band's name and can possibly veto it from being used as 'Toto'. Of course 'David Paich's Toto' could be a way around that, but with Dave pretty much out of the frame that wouldn't make much sense.

Or the case might be that the band name isn't an issue at all but that Jeff's estate is entitled to damages and/or a substantial slice of the band's income that doesn't really make further band activity financially viable.

In any event, the whole legal battle is a bloody shame. However, with David Paich having to downscale his involvement it may be argued that Toto as such had run its course anyway. But what a fine decade this last one was, and I very much look forward to hearing what Joe Williams, Steve Porcaro and Lukather have to offer down the line.
Sundet
45 RPM

Return to Toto