The End Of Toto (?)

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

The End Of Toto (?)

Postby TotoStu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:42 am

I know that no one knows what the future will bring - but right here and right now it looks like the end of one of the greatest rock bands in history. It's put me in a bit of a reflective mood. Instead of being sad about it - I'm instead grateful for what the band brought into my life.

"Rosanna" is the first song I can remember hearing when I was a small child. In 2012 I got interested in the band properly, bought all the albums and I shared the music with my kids - who LOVED it. In 2015 when Toto XIV was released - I took my oldest daughter to see them live. And in 2018 as they celebrated their 40th Anniversary I took my youngest daughter to see them. I'm so glad that both my kids have heard Toto perform "Africa" live!

Earlier this year my mother bought me the "All In" CD set as a late birthday present. A few months later she was no longer with us. So that CD set serves a double purpose. All those great albums remastered - and a treasured memory of my Mum.

It's amazing how much music can mean to us. And I'm really glad I had this band in my life and I got to see them. I'm sure I'll continue to listen to them and follow what the band members choose to do from now on.

Poignant times.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Re: The End Of Toto (?)

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:02 am

TotoStu wrote:I know that no one knows what the future will bring - but right here and right now it looks like the end of one of the greatest rock bands in history. It's put me in a bit of a reflective mood. Instead of being sad about it - I'm instead grateful for what the band brought into my life.

"Rosanna" is the first song I can remember hearing when I was a small child. In 2012 I got interested in the band properly, bought all the albums and I shared the music with my kids - who LOVED it. In 2015 when Toto XIV was released - I took my oldest daughter to see them live. And in 2018 as they celebrated their 40th Anniversary I took my youngest daughter to see them. I'm so glad that both my kids have heard Toto perform "Africa" live!

Earlier this year my mother bought me the "All In" CD set as a late birthday present. A few months later she was no longer with us. So that CD set serves a double purpose. All those great albums remastered - and a treasured memory of my Mum.

It's amazing how much music can mean to us. And I'm really glad I had this band in my life and I got to see them. I'm sure I'll continue to listen to them and follow what the band members choose to do from now on.

Poignant times.

Nice post. Do you remember your mood when TOTO dissolved after FIB?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby TotoStu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:09 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Nice post.

Thank you :D

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Do you remember your mood when TOTO dissolved after FIB?

When I got into Toto it was a year or two after they'd reformed. I wasn't into the band back when all that went down.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:39 am

TotoStu wrote:When I got into Toto it was a year or two after they'd reformed. I wasn't into the band back when all that went down.

Gotcha. I feel better about this break or end. FIB lineup has become fairly dysfunctional and toxic. The reunited Joe W lineup did alot of things right (fixed Sony relationship, became a US touring draw again, 2 new albums). It's a great way to go out really. Selfishly I want new music and more tours. But if this is the end, it does feel right.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby TotoStu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:48 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Gotcha. I feel better about this break or end. FIB lineup has become fairly dysfunctional and toxic. The reunited Joe W lineup did alot of things right (fixed Sony relationship, became a US touring draw again, 2 new albums). It's a great way to go out really. Selfishly I want new music and more tours. But if this is the end, it does feel right.

They've just got to do what's right for them. If this really is the end, then they're going out leaving the audience wanting more. That's always the best way to do it.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:51 pm

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on this not being the end, as long as the principles are all healthy and able to play and sing. Just gotta take some time away to recharge and sort out the business end. But I don't think we've seen the end, although we may have seen the end of them as a major touring unit. But the draw of festivals and some big gigs in two or three years will be too lucrative to resist, I think. Just my prediction.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoStu » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:35 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on this not being the end, as long as the principles are all healthy and able to play and sing. Just gotta take some time away to recharge and sort out the business end. But I don't think we've seen the end, although we may have seen the end of them as a major touring unit. But the draw of festivals and some big gigs in two or three years will be too lucrative to resist, I think. Just my prediction.

Hmm. One thing I guess I could see is Luke, Williams and Porcaro forming a kind of "supergroup" with some members of another highly respected but defunct classic band. Someone like Michael McDonald or Donald Fagen - something like a "Dukes Of September" kind of deal.

But I certainly wouldn't want to speculate and also... I'm staying the HELL OUT of that other thread.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:33 am

Those kind of tours seem pretty popular in non-America parts of the world. Kimball has done a bunch of those kind of gigs, where they get a bunch of stray vocalists of bands together for small tours (although, deceptively, often also have replacement singers like Steve Augeri or John Elefante singing their predecessors' songs as if they were their own). Everyone's gotta make a buck. But they make more bucks with the Toto name, which is why I don't think we've seen the last of it. But again, I think a lot of that depends on Dave's health. I do wish they would go into the studio and do something...I'm excited for another Luke solo album, for sure, but Dave just brings a whole other layer of musicality to things, and he doesn't seem to do much creatively outside of Toto, which is a bummer.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:05 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:Those kind of tours seem pretty popular in non-America parts of the world. Kimball has done a bunch of those kind of gigs, where they get a bunch of stray vocalists of bands together for small tours (although, deceptively, often also have replacement singers like Steve Augeri or John Elefante singing their predecessors' songs as if they were their own). Everyone's gotta make a buck. But they make more bucks with the Toto name, which is why I don't think we've seen the last of it. But again, I think a lot of that depends on Dave's health. I do wish they would go into the studio and do something...I'm excited for another Luke solo album, for sure, but Dave just brings a whole other layer of musicality to things, and he doesn't seem to do much creatively outside of Toto, which is a bummer.

I've always wished for David Paich to do a solo album.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:39 am

I remember around the time of Mindfields, Paich said something to the effect of "if he writes songs, he's writing for TOTO."
The early albums were mostly Paich songs. As others have mentioned, without him as a driving songwriting force or even a touring member, I'm not sure if TOTO has more to say.
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby TotoStu » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:40 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:Those kind of tours seem pretty popular in non-America parts of the world. Kimball has done a bunch of those kind of gigs, where they get a bunch of stray vocalists of bands together for small tours (although, deceptively, often also have replacement singers like Steve Augeri or John Elefante singing their predecessors' songs as if they were their own). Everyone's gotta make a buck. But they make more bucks with the Toto name, which is why I don't think we've seen the last of it. But again, I think a lot of that depends on Dave's health. I do wish they would go into the studio and do something...I'm excited for another Luke solo album, for sure, but Dave just brings a whole other layer of musicality to things, and he doesn't seem to do much creatively outside of Toto, which is a bummer.

Well - maybe a "Toto Featuring [insert name here]". Something like that. But like I say - I wouldn't want to speculate.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby Sundet » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:19 pm

LtVanish wrote:
WalrusOct9 wrote:
I've always wished for David Paich to do a solo album.

He's often stated that he hasn't felt the need to do anything as such outside Toto, but there have been some hints that he might. In a 1996/7 interview with the Toto Legend, he hinted that he was thinking of doing a blues album with Warren Ham. And also there's this interview from 2015 where he does state that he was (is?) considering a solo album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGDc572XAxc. I'd absolutely love Paich to unleash his 'Leonard Cohen'.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:45 am

Thing with Toto is I don't think there's anything Dave would do that he couldn't do with the band. If he wanted to write some blues-influenced stuff, he has Luke to play guitar on it and it'd still fit well within Toto's wheelhouse. They could do hard rock, Steely Dan-influenced jazz rock, ballads, instrumental fusion tracks, and even semi-dancy stuff (like the 1990 tracks with Byron).

I think the only reason Luke did those couple solo albums while in Toto was that, with Paich there, he had more songs than he could get on Toto records. But Dave never had that problem. I like Dave's voice in the context of Toto...the contrast between him and whoever the tenor singer was on any given record is one of the things that made them great, but I don't know if it's strong enough to carry an entire solo record. I certainly hope we hear more songs from him though.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Franky » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Without no doubt it would make my life less enjoyable in the future - never to hear a new masterpice kind of song that would make my life and days brighter and better ....

But we shouldn't forget bout the joy they brought us till today. Their music will shurely live forever and inspire future generations and bring joy to lots of people after us.

Wishing all the Best for the guys and one of my favs: TOTO !
Franky
Ol' 78

Return to Toto