Steve Porcaro Interview & Insight into Lawsuit

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Steve Porcaro Interview & Insight into Lawsuit

Postby Sundet » Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Steve Porcaro's been doing a number of online interviews/Q&As recently and they are an absolute joy to watch. He shares stories, insights and thoughts and is very articulate at that. And it's clearly obvious that he bristles with creative energy.

In a recent sitdown with Rock History Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqyxZzjS6bk) he shared some insight into the Susan Porcaro lawsuit. He obviously spoke in very general (and indeed very diplomatic) terms, but acknowledged that the question of the band name/brand did play into that lawsuit (as I have myself suggested in a number of posts on this very forum). This also gives the lie to Susan Porcaro's husband's assertion that she had done nothing to halt the band's activities. Yet Steve Porcaro also had a very concrete suggestion as to how to get around it: Call the band Steve Lukather's Toto.

Obviously, Lukather made a few hints as they folded last year (i.e. that the band was over, in 'this incarnation' and so on and so forth). So this may be something they are looking into. It also suggests that Lukather in fact co-holds the rights to the band name, which certainly provides them with a few more opportunities now that David Paich has made his defintive retirement from the road (which would effectively have prevented them from calling it David Paich's Toto).

In any event it's still sad that things have come down to this. Steve Porcaro himself sighs at how we now have Jeff Lynne's ELO, Ian Anderson's Jethro Tull etc. owing to various legal complications. As far as I'm concerned they should go out there as Toto. It's not like we will see 'Susan Porcaro's Toto' touring the globe anytime soon.
Sundet
45 RPM

Re: Steve Porcaro Interview & Insight into Lawsuit

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon May 25, 2020 11:51 pm

Thanks. I've been meaning to watch his latest interview on RHM.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Sundet » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:44 pm

In his interview with RHM, Steve Porcaro alludes to not having talked to Lukather in quite a while.

Then in this recent Q & A (https://youtu.be/D-8gk9Y-chU?t=2630), Lukather was asked
"Is Steve Porcaro on your new solo record?", whereupon Lukather replies, "No! I haven't talked to Steve Porcaro in six months".
I hope this isn't indicative of any falling out on their part.

At least there's a nice Toto related surprise almost literally cropping up in that same interview: https://youtu.be/D-8gk9Y-chU?t=1175.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:08 am

Sundet wrote:In his interview with RHM, Steve Porcaro alludes to not having talked to Lukather in quite a while.

Then in this recent Q & A (https://youtu.be/D-8gk9Y-chU?t=2630), Lukather was asked
"Is Steve Porcaro on your new solo record?", whereupon Lukather replies, "No! I haven't talked to Steve Porcaro in six months".
I hope this isn't indicative of any falling out on their part.

At least there's a nice Toto related surprise almost literally cropping up in that same interview: https://youtu.be/D-8gk9Y-chU?t=1175.

Thanks. Great to see Joe.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RonaldDupris » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:37 am

Steve Porcaro has always come off as the weirdest guy. There's just something so uncomfortable about watching him in interviews. I don't blame Luke for getting the fuck away from him.
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:39 am

RonaldDupris wrote:Steve Porcaro has always come off as the weirdest guy. There's just something so uncomfortable about watching him in interviews. I don't blame Luke for getting the fuck away from him.

LOL. Damn. I don't get the vibe at all.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:21 am

re: the lawsuit, I just don't understand...why now? Like, 25+ years after Toto had been operating post-Jeff, she decides to make a stink about it? Makes no sense.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Sundet » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:04 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:re: the lawsuit, I just don't understand...why now? Like, 25+ years after Toto had been operating post-Jeff, she decides to make a stink about it? Makes no sense.

There seems to have cropped up some legal stuff regarding distribution of revenue related to the band name/brand, possibly going back to at least 1994. My impression is that Jeff Porcaro's widow filed a claim for a larger share of the band's income on grounds of Jeff's ownership of the band name/brand, whereas the band appears to have taken the not entirely unreasonable (if not necessarily legal) stance that with Jeff no longer being a part of the band, his estate did not hold claim to band revenue par with, say, Paich and Lukather. The court ruled otherwise, however, and I guess that Jeff Porcaro's widow is somehow in a position to block the use of the Toto name/brand unless she gets her share of the revenue. I can understand that certain members would not be overly motivated to go out there and sweat on the road for months on end only to make as much money for themselves as they would for Jeff Porcaro's billionaire widow. Of course, she is legally entitled to it but I can't help but think that bad blood on personal levels has also contributed to this most unfortunate lawsuit.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby NoMoreTails » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:15 pm

This is screwed up. Her claim on anything Toto related should have ended when she remarried.
...and evidently to a rich husband.
NoMoreTails
Cassette Tape

Postby Sundet » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:48 am

NoMoreTails wrote:This is screwed up. Her claim on anything Toto related should have ended when she remarried.
...and evidently to a rich husband.

Well, she'd still be representing Jeff's estate, not at least in capacity of being the mother of his kids. That being said, I am quite surprised this whole debacle wasn't worked out upon Jeff's untimely death, or at the very least following the end of the 1992-93 Kingdom of Desire tour (that being said, it appears certain actions were taken in 1994, but apparently illegally). Even then, all parties appear to have been quite content for about 25 years, until a certain lawsuit was filed. As such, I do wonder if Toto's changes of management had something to do with all this, as the ejection of Fitzgerald-Hartley seemed to open a few cans of worms - sometimes for better but quite obviously also for worse.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby JohnH » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:16 pm

According to the Fare Thee Well book, after Garcia’s death the Dead were able to quickly move the widow out of the band business. This certainly avoided future problems like Toto’s.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Sundet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:03 pm

"Steve Porcaro hates me. I don't know why", Lukather said in this recent sitdown: https://youtu.be/wUOVPneq-9I?t=1924. Might've been a tongue-in-cheek remark, but it does seem as though they've had a bit of a falling out. That's a shame.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby Marzdog » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:13 am

Not sure if anyone follows Levara (formerly ZFG), Trev Lukather's band, however, Sam Porcaro has left the band as its bassist.

Can't help but wonder that Luke and the Porcaro's have gone their separate ways, and this is an extension of that.

Hoping this is not the case.
Marzdog
45 RPM

Postby Sundet » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:55 pm

It appears they are not on speaking terms, which is a real shame.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 pm

They're currently not speaking :(
Andrew
Administrator

Postby tedpruitt » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:29 am

Andrew wrote:They're currently not speaking :(

That just makes me sad - worse if Luke really "doesn't know why" as he said in one interview. Ugh - I feel this way about most of the supergroups from our time - but, GUYS - time is running out. Maybe you had time for animosity when you were in your 20s-50s, but the time for creating music together - as health issues, age, etc. take their toll is short.

Well at least we have some Luke/JW music to look forward to - kind of hoping they tour together since they're on the same label. A nice little theater tour when things open back up would be a great way to start post-covid life.
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby Marzdog » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:03 am

New interview with Steve... https://youtu.be/CywVFz_TJ98
Marzdog
45 RPM

Postby r@y » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:20 am

Marzdog wrote:New interview with Steve... https://youtu.be/CywVFz_TJ98

Luke tweeted that it was basically a fuck you to Luke from Steve....lol
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby Sundet » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:58 pm

r@y wrote:
Marzdog wrote:New interview with Steve... https://youtu.be/CywVFz_TJ98

Luke tweeted that it was basically a fuck you to Luke from Steve....lol

Why would he think that? Seems to me Steve Porcaro pretty much tells it like it is. Doesn't want to tour as much anymore and suggests that Lukather bills the band as "Steve Lukather's Toto" if he wants to go out on the road and not having to worry about lawsuits from a certain corner.

Seems to me that Steve Porcaro is pretty much done with Toto, which although a shame is still his choice to make. He's always been a studio guy. Obviously, if the case may be that some band members have made more from recent touring activity than others, this might play into it as well.

With Paich pretty much out of the loop these days, I guess the only current 'Toto' option is indeed to go out as 'Steve Lukather's Toto' with Joseph Williams on lead vocals and a drummer, bass player, keyboard player(s) and backing singers of his/their choice. But in a sense I guess that would take the band back to where it was about 12-13 years ago (save for a much better lead singer). Musically it would be a blast, but it obviously wouldn't be Toto the high school band, as it were.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby RonaldDupris » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:59 am

That's NOT a new interview. They shot that many months ago.
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Return to Toto