Moderator: Andrew

What’s happening on Monday 4/19?

Postby leftovertu » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:29 am

New album, tour?
leftovertu
Radio Waves

Re: What’s happening on Monday 4/19?

Postby tedpruitt » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:48 pm

A new Toto and a new tour! Given what we know about the lawsuit - trying to figure out how they are getting away with this...
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby leftovertu » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:54 pm

Very cool! Especially glad that Warren Ham is still on board.

https://totoofficial.com/2020/10/dogzof ... yo9FOstzXs
leftovertu
Radio Waves

Postby r@y » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:15 am

Great news !

But....how ?? Thought they can't use the name TOTO anymore ?

In any case....its just great news !
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby tedpruitt » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:44 am

This was my question. If you look at the artwork they posted, very small at the top it says "new" above Toto. But they very clearly are referring to it as Toto. So it is interesting.

That aside, this is a kick-ass line up. As a keyboardist myself, I'm sad that Paich and Porcaro are not involved (from recent information it seems like they are both done with the road and who can blame them) but the gentlemen brought back in are phenomenal.

The other question that pops up is, what happened to Shannon? After so many tours, I thought he had sort of solidified his position on the drums - but I also know he has a boatload of studio work that he does back in Nashville, so perhaps he is unable to commit.

Anyone else going to pony up for the live stream to check out the new lineup?
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby JohnH » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:00 am

Too bad no more Shem. He was great. Great singer great player and great stage presence. It was more like when Nathan was in the band.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Onestepper » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:22 am

Los Angeles, CA --- Steve Lukather a.k.a. Luke and Joseph Williams are life-long friends since they were kids, and bandmates sharing a deep colorful history that has thrived professionally on a global basis over the past decades. Today, the duo has announced the formation of a new band, with world class players. They will continue to tour as Toto, and are in motion to bring their Dogz of Oz tour worldwide as the pair looks forwards. Planned concerts across North America, Europe, Asia, Australia / New Zealand and other geographical destinations will be staged where the ensemble will perform all the hits, deep cuts, and solo music from Lukather and Williams individual catalogs.

On Saturday, November 21 the new line-up will make their global debut. The band has planned a one-night only concert event that will broadcast prime time in three geographical regions to super-serve the fans. THIS IS A GLOBAL EVENT FOR FANS EVERYWHERE.

Please pay extra attention to the event time zones and be careful to choose the most relevant event for your location. Please note the streams will not be restricted to the territories above, these are indicators to help determine which time zone is best for viewers.

For More Information visit: www.totoofficial.com

For more information visit the FAQ page: https://support.dice.fm/article/442-toto
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby Sundet » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:51 am

It's 'New Toto' indeed. Definitely legal, but I wouldn't be surprised if a certain someone went after them over the logo and advertising.

Not sure what to make of it as 'Toto'. In a sense it is a bit like going back to 2007-08, when Lukather said he felt as though he was in the best Toto cover band in the world. I am absolutely sure that this current incarnation will absolutely nail the material, and I am Joseph Williams' biggest fan, but is it really Toto, even a new one at that, without Paich and a Porcaro?

In any event I think it's a shame that the last incarnation kind of fell apart. 2015-18 were some of the band's strongest years ever. Two killer records (XIV and Old is New), great tours/lineups and amazing setlists.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby JohnH » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:17 am

Ok now I know the reason , apparently there was a falling out w Shem and some band members. That’s just how it goes on the road. As for Shannon no idea .
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Sundet » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:15 pm

JohnH wrote:Ok now I know the reason , apparently there was a falling out w Shem and some band members. That’s just how it goes on the road. As for Shannon no idea .

Why? Where did you hear that?
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby Morten » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:59 pm

Luke just blasted Shem on Twitter, that's for sure.
Morten
Radio Waves

Postby r@y » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:23 pm

Yeah, think Shem went off on Twitter saying something like its not Toto without Paich....

Luke just went totally ballistic on him. Like.....totally. Kinda surprising. Some bad shit must have gone down on the road.

Hey, who cares....we get New Toto, Toto 2.0, Dogz of Oz whatever....new music by 2 awesome cats. I am not complaining !

Bring on Nov 21st !
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 am

r@y wrote:Yeah, think Shem went off on Twitter saying something like its not Toto without Paich....

That Shem tweet was made 20 hours before this new lineup was even announced. It wasn't aimed at the new lineup at all. He was responding in a non-TOTO related tweet thread about indispensable band members. He was actually being complimentary toward Paich and Earth Wind and Fire's Maurice White. Some troll took it out of context and sent it to Luke to upset him. Pretty shitty.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby r@y » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:47 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
r@y wrote:Yeah, think Shem went off on Twitter saying something like its not Toto without Paich....

That Shem tweet was made 20 hours before this new lineup was even announced. It wasn't aimed at the new lineup at all. He was responding in a non-TOTO related tweet thread about indispensable band members. He was actually being complimentary toward Paich and Earth Wind and Fire's Maurice White. Some troll took it out of context and sent it to Luke to upset him. Pretty shitty.

Nope, that can't be possible because the tweet Shem was replying to was made on around 11am of 19th Oct. Not sure what time Shem replied the tweet I believe has now since been deleted. Unless I am mistaken.

And Luke has just elaborated further and isn't backing down.
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:12 am

r@y wrote:Nope, that can't be possible because the tweet Shem was replying to was made on around 11am of 19th Oct.

False. The tweet Shem replied to was from the keyboardist of The Who, Loren Gold, and it was posted on October 18th. That original Gold tweet is still up. Luke wasn't even mentioned or copied by Shem. The first tweet to reply to Shem's comment was made at 8:28am on October 19th, which is before the TOTO news dropped.

https://twitter.com/lorengold/status/13 ... 5477508097

Later on the 19th, a troll/groupie/bot account sent a screenshot of Shem's comments to Luke with the question "Bitter?"

1-2 days prior to the press release, even Lenny Castro was on Twitter shooting down rumors of a new TOTO lineup. So I just have doubts that Shem was even in the loop when he made that tweet.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby St.George » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:20 am

Steve Lukather losing it again! Nothing new around here...
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Sundet » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:21 am

Oh dear. "What about the age of peace and love we tried? Text me with the reason why it had to die. I can hear the war rage on my [Twitter] page". But maybe Randy Goodrum wrote those words.

It seems Shem as deleted his whole Twitter account now, but I think it was very obvious that his tweet was distributed way out of context, and Steve Lukather took the bait as if he were a Florida gator.

In our age of fake news (even if I tend to strongly disagree with POTUS as to what constitutes fake news), I think it's more important than ever to actually fact-check or at least, as in this particular instance, just send a simple text. 'Hi Shem. Just read this excerpt on Twitter [insert screengrab]. Kinda unfortunate as we're launching a new incarnation of the band as we speak. Surely you didn't mean for it to come across this way? Sincerely, Steve Lukather'. To which I suppose Shem would reply 'OMG, no way. Just paid the biggest tribute to Paich and had no idea it would be taken way out of context like this. So sorry for this misunderstanding, absolutely not my intention at all. Best of luck with the new Toto - lineup and plans are awesome'. And in the age of peace and love, Lukather would reply, 'Knew you didn't mean it that way, bro. Thank you so much and hope all is well'.

I guess we can only hope that all's well that ends well.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby Morten » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:44 pm

Sundet wrote:It seems Shem as deleted his whole Twitter account now,

No, it's still there.
Morten
Radio Waves

Postby Sundet » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Indeed. And this tweet is class:

"Opining in the context of pointing out the invaluable impact of an artist’s contribution to any institution is not a disparagement to their collaborators nor its ongoing legacy. It is a showing of reverence".
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby RonaldDupris » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:46 am

I saw a tweet that mentioned "So this is why they took away Shem's headset near the end of the tour" I need to go on Youtube and see if that's true.
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Postby RonaldDupris » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:47 am

Also, an hour ago, Luke posted this pic of the new lineup with Dave in there.

https://twitter.com/stevelukather/statu ... 33/photo/1
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Postby JohnH » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 am

Sundet wrote:
JohnH wrote:Ok now I know the reason , apparently there was a falling out w Shem and some band members. That’s just how it goes on the road. As for Shannon no idea .

Why? Where did you hear that?

I’m a musician in LA , and we all know someone that knows someone. When Mike got sick it was no secret to any of us. We knew years before it went public .
JohnH
8 Track

Return to Toto