New Luke Interview

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

New Luke Interview

Postby r@y » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:52 am

Luke touches on a fair bit of stuff, including some sessions...great read.

https://www.innerviews.org/inner/steve-lukather
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Re: New Luke Interview

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:22 am

Thanks for sharing. Very in-depth.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RonaldDupris » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:51 pm

Sad to hear things were not going well behind the scenes after Mike passed away. You would have never noticed anything was wrong on stage when they played.
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Postby r@y » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:02 pm

Yeah, very interesting read. I think the most us fans have been let in on the whole legal tussle that has happened, and then some.

Kinda sad to know his relationship with Steve Porcaro is pretty much done. For a while at least.

A few other interesting points for me :

- He and David paid a lot of money for a % of the Toto name
- Sorry isn't going to help mend some of the broken relationships
- Issues with sidemen during last tour (guessing this is the whole Shem thingy)

I know there could be issue with some fans, but for me, I am glad Luke is who he is and comes out and wears his heart on his sleeves when he speaks. Granted, there are always 3 sides to a story, but still.....I respect the guy, and am mighty glad he and Joe are out there keeping the music alive
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:08 am

r@y wrote:- Issues with sidemen during last tour (guessing this is the whole Shem thingy)

Shem made a comment on social media (paraphrasing) that once Paich left everything changed. Maybe Paich was the great mediator and helped to keep the peace?

I found it interesting how the agents/promoters were pressuring/persuading Luke and Joe to go out under the TOTO name. I wonder if Mascot wishes they could put the Joe and Luke solo tracks on one cd and call it TOTO? Obviously, they are signed to Sony, but worth pondering....
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RonaldDupris » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:15 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
r@y wrote:- Issues with sidemen during last tour (guessing this is the whole Shem thingy)

Shem made a comment on social media (paraphrasing) that once Paich left everything changed. Maybe Paich was the great mediator and helped to keep the peace?

Where did he say that?
RonaldDupris
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:13 am

RonaldDupris wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Where did he say that?

Pretty sure it was on Instagram.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Sundet » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:15 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Simon Phillips recently said that Lukather and himself were beginning to step a little on each other's toes in terms of band touring plans, band business and other non-music matters during Toto's Paichless stint in the 2000s, adding that he never had a problem with Paich. Now there were obviously some disagreements that hastened his departure in 2013, including change of management and the fact that 'it wasn't the same band that he had joined' (see also Lukather's book for a statement to this effect), and I am guessing that he wanted to leave before there was a big argument.

Not that this has got anything to do with Shem directly, but Paich may well have been a mediator of sorts. But above all he was the band's leader. Perhaps there was a balance in there somewhere that somehow got lost when Paich left the road and Lukather became leader as well as manager.

Still, none of this really matters and, moreover, isn't really anyone's business, least of all mine. I am looking forward to the solo records coming out, and apparently Paich, Phillips and (I hope) Steve Porcaro all feature on Joseph Williams' album. Amidst it all he seems to be the one who's remained friends with everyone.
Sundet
45 RPM

Return to Toto