More on livestream DVD...

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:14 am

SL: "We did a live DVD that’s coming out in the summer that introduces the new band playing Toto music. There’s a companion piece with Paich, me and Joe, and all of the new guys, that explains why we’re doing it and why we’re carrying it on. There’s a live performance of the band without an audience or any of the bells and whistles. We’re all in a rehearsal room really. And it came out great. "

How awesome would it be if there were 3 or 4 more cuts that didn't air? I'll buy it either way.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimryan1/2 ... 946637bb8d
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby r@y » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:33 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:SL: "We did a live DVD that’s coming out in the summer that introduces the new band playing Toto music. There’s a companion piece with Paich, me and Joe, and all of the new guys, that explains why we’re doing it and why we’re carrying it on. There’s a live performance of the band without an audience or any of the bells and whistles. We’re all in a rehearsal room really. And it came out great. "

How awesome would it be if there were 3 or 4 more cuts that didn't air? I'll buy it either way.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimryan1/2 ... 946637bb8d


Yeah, I'd pay for anything Luke and his new band puts out. Yes, I said Luke and his band. Let's face it, there is no more TOTO, it is what it is. I'm thankful for the music.
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:34 am

Curiosity about the new lineup made me spring for the livestream, one of the few I've been motivated to watch during the past year. They were good, the drummer especially is a beast, but watching a band play at an SIR rehearsal space with no audience isn't really something I'd need to watch more than once. Not really sure this thing deserves its own release other than maybe a bonus feature. Just awkward without the crowd.
-Steve C.
User avatar
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:13 pm
Location: Nashville

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:18 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:Curiosity about the new lineup made me spring for the livestream, one of the few I've been motivated to watch during the past year. They were good, the drummer especially is a beast, but watching a band play at an SIR rehearsal space with no audience isn't really something I'd need to watch more than once. Not really sure this thing deserves its own release other than maybe a bonus feature. Just awkward without the crowd.


As good as it was, I was surprised that they were doing an official release of it as well.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby r@y » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:06 pm

Wait...hang on....and pardon the silly question, but....this is the same livestream show aired back in November ? Or is Luke talking about a new one they recorded ? I mean he didn't reference the livestream show.....sure its not something new they filmed ?
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:32 pm

r@y wrote:Wait...hang on....and pardon the silly question, but....this is the same livestream show aired back in November ? Or is Luke talking about a new one they recorded ? I mean he didn't reference the livestream show.....sure its not something new they filmed ?


This Luke quote (from another interview) may help clarify things....

"We put together a new band, with some new rhythm section guys, and we did a livestream in November, playing the old TOTO stuff and seeing how people would react to it. The reaction was incredible. So now we’re going to put it out as a DVD this summer, with a companion DVD explaining why we’re doing all this. David Paich is in it. And since Joe (Williams) and I played on and worked on each other’s record and David did too, there’s a hint of TOTO in all that."
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby r@y » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:16 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
r@y wrote:Wait...hang on....and pardon the silly question, but....this is the same livestream show aired back in November ? Or is Luke talking about a new one they recorded ? I mean he didn't reference the livestream show.....sure its not something new they filmed ?


This Luke quote (from another interview) may help clarify things....

"We put together a new band, with some new rhythm section guys, and we did a livestream in November, playing the old TOTO stuff and seeing how people would react to it. The reaction was incredible. So now we’re going to put it out as a DVD this summer, with a companion DVD explaining why we’re doing all this. David Paich is in it. And since Joe (Williams) and I played on and worked on each other’s record and David did too, there’s a hint of TOTO in all that."


Thanks...alright, so it is the same show then. Well....I would watch again, maybe with some bonus extra tracks and some insight from Paich himself on this (that's not been heard before by Luke in his interviews) ? But that's probably wishful thinking I guess... :P
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby brandonx76 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:49 am

Yeah I don't....think I saw anything about additional tracks mentioned from the band or Luke? So I wouldn't bet on that. "You are the Flower" was still the most memorable moment for me...that was incredible funky and tight.
User avatar
brandonx76
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 11:16 am
Location: Beyond the Sun

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 am

brandonx76 wrote:Yeah I don't....think I saw anything about additional tracks mentioned from the band or Luke? So I wouldn't bet on that. "You are the Flower" was still the most memorable moment for me...that was incredible funky and tight.


Agreed. Classy move by Joe to give Bobby some props.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:19 am

Listening now on Apple Music. Surprised they kept the between-song pauses as long as they did, and also Luke's "we're gonna play this one...because we have to" before "Hold The Line."

I mean, I think it's mildly humorous because I've been following the band forever and I know Luke's sense of humor, but I could see that being a little off-putting to anyone who hears that track out of context, without really knowing their personalities. Really surprised they kept that in there.
-Steve C.
User avatar
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:13 pm
Location: Nashville

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby r@y » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:37 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:Listening now on Apple Music. Surprised they kept the between-song pauses as long as they did, and also Luke's "we're gonna play this one...because we have to" before "Hold The Line."

I mean, I think it's mildly humorous because I've been following the band forever and I know Luke's sense of humor, but I could see that being a little off-putting to anyone who hears that track out of context, without really knowing their personalities. Really surprised they kept that in there.


Haha....from a recent interview, Luke by his own admission said there was a lot more he said during the show that had to be taken out.
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:27 am

How's the documentary?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby PMA » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:06 am

A number of songs were individually posted to YouTube yesterday. Seems odd that they would do that if they want to sell a Blu-ray. The band sounds tight both musically and vocally but I noticed some compression that seems to affect how well certain instruments sound at certain points.
PMA
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:28 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:36 am

PMA wrote:A number of songs were individually posted to YouTube yesterday. Seems odd that they would do that if they want to sell a Blu-ray. The band sounds tight both musically and vocally but I noticed some compression that seems to affect how well certain instruments sound at certain points.


Seems all artists are doing that nowadays. Unless the stuff is somehow auto-generated.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby r@y » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:23 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:How's the documentary?


Yeah I've been waiting for comments on this too....
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby r@y » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:34 pm

So what did Luke and gang say in the documentary ? Anything interesting, or something we haven't heard before in interviews ?
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby RumTumJM » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:19 pm

I gotta admit, this line up sound pretty damn good for a band that only rehearsed for 10 days.

The harmonies, in particular, sound really impressive. - What's the inside scoops/general feelings about them? All live or tracked/overdubbed? (I know that the recent touring lineup, more or less, had live vocals and that the FOH engineer masterfully mixed it all, to make it sound so good.)
User avatar
RumTumJM
LP
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:03 am

RumTumJM wrote:I gotta admit, this line up sound pretty damn good for a band that only rehearsed for 10 days.

The harmonies, in particular, sound really impressive. - What's the inside scoops/general feelings about them? All live or tracked/overdubbed? (I know that the recent touring lineup, more or less, had live vocals and that the FOH engineer masterfully mixed it all, to make it sound so good.)


Idiots on YT are saying it's auto-tuned. I don't hear any of that. It's raw, live, and badass.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby RumTumJM » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:57 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
RumTumJM wrote:I gotta admit, this line up sound pretty damn good for a band that only rehearsed for 10 days.

The harmonies, in particular, sound really impressive. - What's the inside scoops/general feelings about them? All live or tracked/overdubbed? (I know that the recent touring lineup, more or less, had live vocals and that the FOH engineer masterfully mixed it all, to make it sound so good.)


Idiots on YT are saying it's auto-tuned. I don't hear any of that. It's raw, live, and badass.


Autotune? Really? - Geez!

As someone who is often skeptical of that stuff, etc., I don't hear any of it there! Maybe there's some overdubbing or tracking, but I don't hear any traces of autotune.
User avatar
RumTumJM
LP
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:47 am

r@y wrote:So what did Luke and gang say in the documentary ? Anything interesting, or something we haven't heard before in interviews ?


Can't believe nobody has an update on this yet.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby r@y » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:25 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
r@y wrote:So what did Luke and gang say in the documentary ? Anything interesting, or something we haven't heard before in interviews ?


Can't believe nobody has an update on this yet.


Oh I forgot...I managed to catch this on YT, and obviously nothing much new or anything we haven't heard before.....just that we get to hear from the other guys in the band some stuff about how they got the gig, legacy, feelings, bla bla.....

Nothing new from Joe, Luke and Paich.

Speaking of Luke.....looks like he is on a social media hiatus. Not sure what happened exactly, only read about it on some comments....but the timing was just around the time someone gave Wolfgang some shtick about Eddie not being able to measure up against session players and how he sucked....and suddenly Luke's name was thrown in there and next thing you know started to become a shitshow.....
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:38 am

r@y wrote:
Oh I forgot...I managed to catch this on YT, and obviously nothing much new or anything we haven't heard before.....just that we get to hear from the other guys in the band some stuff about how they got the gig, legacy, feelings, bla bla.....

Nothing new from Joe, Luke and Paich.


Thanks. Basically what I expected, but disappointing all the same.

Speaking of Luke.....looks like he is on a social media hiatus. Not sure what happened exactly, only read about it on some comments....but the timing was just around the time someone gave Wolfgang some shtick about Eddie not being able to measure up against session players and how he sucked....and suddenly Luke's name was thrown in there and next thing you know started to become a shitshow.....


Yea I noticed he deleted his Twitter.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby Andrew » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:31 pm

r@y wrote:Speaking of Luke.....looks like he is on a social media hiatus. Not sure what happened exactly, only read about it on some comments....but the timing was just around the time someone gave Wolfgang some shtick about Eddie not being able to measure up against session players and how he sucked....and suddenly Luke's name was thrown in there and next thing you know started to become a shitshow.....


Fucking assholes. Who could blame him.
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10596
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby Sundet » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:05 am

r@y wrote:
Speaking of Luke.....looks like he is on a social media hiatus. Not sure what happened exactly, only read about it on some comments....but the timing was just around the time someone gave Wolfgang some shtick about Eddie not being able to measure up against session players and how he sucked....and suddenly Luke's name was thrown in there and next thing you know started to become a shitshow.....


I don't know anything about what went down in this particular case, but it appears to sum up everything that's gone completely wrong with social media. It tends to bring out the worst in people.

For all of Lukather's occasional "angrydad" outbursts (and who can blame him!?), his respect and homage to his peers and idols is second to none. I was really taken by how he recently went out of his way to compliment Michael Landau's playing on Joseph Williams' recent record. Guitar playing is not a competition. Indeed, I've got a rather strong feeling that Lukather stands completely in line with Jay Graydon, who told the now defunct Toto Legend back in 1995 something to the effect that 'in this game you've got to get one thing out of your mind: Competition'. It's hard to fathom why some appear to regard it as just that.
Sundet
45 RPM
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby r@y » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:29 pm

Andrew wrote:
r@y wrote:Speaking of Luke.....looks like he is on a social media hiatus. Not sure what happened exactly, only read about it on some comments....but the timing was just around the time someone gave Wolfgang some shtick about Eddie not being able to measure up against session players and how he sucked....and suddenly Luke's name was thrown in there and next thing you know started to become a shitshow.....


Fucking assholes. Who could blame him.


So this was the trigger for his social media hiatus Andrew ? I'm hearing all sorts of things....from how he fucked up the band to even something like he was back in rehab !

The guy is a class musician and it was always cool to read his quips and insights especially on his Twitter feeds and the effort he takes to reply to his fans.....I really do miss it, tbh....
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby JohnH » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:34 am

Wow no Luke Fb posts since February.
JohnH
8 Track
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Whittier, CA, 25 Miles East of LA

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:14 am

JohnH wrote:Wow no Luke Fb posts since February.


Definitely quiet around here. It's sad. With this time off, I selfishly wish Paich/Joe/Luke were making a badass Toto album. One can dream I guess.....
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby Sundet » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:16 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JohnH wrote:Wow no Luke Fb posts since February.


Definitely quiet around here. It's sad. With this time off, I selfishly wish Paich/Joe/Luke were making a badass Toto album. One can dream I guess.....


Well, in a sense they are. That is, Joseph did make use of the downtime to record much of his solo album, which certainly has many a Toto moment, as it were. Paich is reportedly working on an EP, to which Joe Williams and I'm pretty sure Lukather are contributing. It may not be Toto by name, but very much in spirit.
Sundet
45 RPM
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:43 am

Sundet wrote:Well, in a sense they are. That is, Joseph did make use of the downtime to record much of his solo album, which certainly has many a Toto moment, as it were. Paich is reportedly working on an EP, to which Joe Williams and I'm pretty sure Lukather are contributing. It may not be Toto by name, but very much in spirit.


They got a badass new lineup. Selfishly and unrealistically, I want to hear a full blown TOTO cd from them. That is all. Forums like this give us permission to dream a little bit.

I own the Joe cd and Luke cd. Both excellent.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: More on livestream DVD...

Postby r@y » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:36 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Sundet wrote:Well, in a sense they are. That is, Joseph did make use of the downtime to record much of his solo album, which certainly has many a Toto moment, as it were. Paich is reportedly working on an EP, to which Joe Williams and I'm pretty sure Lukather are contributing. It may not be Toto by name, but very much in spirit.


They got a badass new lineup. Selfishly and unrealistically, I want to hear a full blown TOTO cd from them. That is all. Forums like this give us permission to dream a little bit.

I own the Joe cd and Luke cd. Both excellent.


100% agree on both their records.

I hope they both play a substantial part on Paich's new EP (whenever that's coming out).

Luke going silent is just weird....I would think he would at least come out and promote the new Ringo single which he and Joe co-wrote and played and sang on.
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Next

Return to Toto

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests