BAKERS DOZEN- TOP 13 DENNIS DEYOUNG & TOMMY SHAW LED VOCALS

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

BAKERS DOZEN- TOP 13 DENNIS DEYOUNG & TOMMY SHAW LED VOCALS

Postby yogi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:28 pm

In My Opinion these are the TOP VOCAL performances by Dennis Deyoung & Tommy Shaw
DENNIS DEYOUNG
13. Paradise
12. Goodbye to Roseland
11. The Best Of Times
10. Lady
9. Ballerina
8. Show Me the Way
7. Queen Of Spades
6. Golden Lark
5. Lonely Child
4. Evil Eyes
3. Come Sail Away
2. Suite Madame Blue ( Early Live Version- Radio Recording back in late 70's)
1. Pieces Of Eight

TOMMY SHAW
13.Lonely School
12. Lights
11. Kiss Me Hello
10. All In How You Say It
9. Boat On The River
8. A Place To call My Own
7. Who I Am
6. Love In the Midnight
5. Man In the Wilderness
4. Crystal Ball- Live ( Girls with Guns Tour- College Campus ?)
3. Ever Since The World Began
2. Blue Collar Man ( CYO Version)
1. Just Get Thru This Night
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: BAKERS DOZEN- TOP 13 DENNIS DEYOUNG & TOMMY SHAW LED VOC

Postby masque » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:58 pm

cool topic. I won't really argue anything you have posted......judging a vocal performance is very subjective for sure! but I think you had some great choices.

it was great to see "just get through this night" as #1 on your tommy list. I have always thought that was a great tommy vocal!

for me the biggest difference you and I would have on our lists would be;

superstars is one of tommy's all time great vocals.......especially when you consider the "fantassssssssssssssy" note at the end of the bridge. that is just epic and of course the "we'll be" parts are awesome too.

I also think that the song "the grand illusion" is one of DDY's songs I would for sure have on his top vocal list and probably up there pretty high as well.

"rocking the paradise" is another one I would have on my list as well. one of his best rock performances ever to my ears.

"harry's hands" has such emotion in it that I would have that one there as well.

"borrowed time"......just pure rock with so much attitude.

the bottom line is that both of these boys can sing so good, you could just about pick any of their songs for various reasons.....no list is right or wrong, it boils down to each listener's ears....BUT, with that said, I love discussing stuff like this! so thanks for posting the question and your list.
masque
Cassette Tape

Re: BAKERS DOZEN- TOP 13 DENNIS DEYOUNG & TOMMY SHAW LED VOC

Postby Boomchild » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:30 am

I'm in agreement with your choices here. I would maybe rank SMTW a little higher. Especially if you would include live performances. His live performance of SMTW on Soundstage was stellar. Granted it's performed as a duet with Mike Eldred, but when DDY hits the high note on "Tell Me How Will I Know" it's a holy crap moment.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Return to Styx