3. "A Kingdom Ablaze"
4. "You My Love"
5. "Run For The Roses"
6. "Damn That Dream"
7. "Unbroken"
8. "The Promise Of This Land"
9. "To The Good Old Days"
10. "A.D. 2020"

Reminds me a ton of VH "A Different Kind Of Truth", which I like very much. Hopefully this will be good as well. Nice use of the Styx font for his name. The "wings" remind me of REO.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Re: 26 East, Vol 1

Postby gr8dane » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:33 am

Great idea, but I think it could have been done, much much better.
This is like.Lets have a night sky back ground.Slap on 2 trains, and then the DDY logo.
If you google the comic book 'Valerian,Destination Cassiopeia',same concept but miles more imaginative.
Don't know how to copy and paste.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:03 pm

Very generic looking cover. Reminds me of the RCA crap artwork for the reissue of the first 4 Styx albums.
STYX new album coming in 2021
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:14 am

I think it looks great. A lot of Brave New World in the artwork.

People & Dennis ripped that but it was great and so is this.

Can’t wait to hear his new music
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:56 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Very generic looking cover. Reminds me of the RCA crap artwork for the reissue of the first 4 Styx albums.

Do you ever have anything nice to say about DDY or anything he does lately?

By the way, are you going to his show on April 3rd?
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:09 pm

[quote="SuiteMadameBlue"][quote="ChicagoSTYX"]Very generic looking cover. Reminds me of the RCA crap artwork for the reissue of the first 4 Styx albums.[/quote]

By the way, are you going to his show on April 3rd?[/quote]

I have said many nice things......at times...

I am planning to go, you?
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:36 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:Very generic looking cover. Reminds me of the RCA crap artwork for the reissue of the first 4 Styx albums.

By the way, are you going to his show on April 3rd?

I am planning to go, you?

Yes, I'll be there :) I'm hoping to meet up with anyone that is going before the show, if possible.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:03 pm

By the way, are you going to his show on April 3rd?[/quote]

I am planning to go, you?[/quote]

Yes, I'll be there :) I'm hoping to meet up with anyone that is going before the show, if possible.[/quote]

Same here!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 am

I'm considering it... GA floors is awesome :)

Only thing for me is it's a trip. Gotta fly in from Toronto. Still mulling it over...
StyxGuy
45 RPM

Postby LtVanish » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:47 am

StyxGuy wrote:I'm considering it... GA floors is awesome :)

Only thing for me is it's a trip. Gotta fly in from Toronto. Still mulling it over...

It's not that bad of a drive actually from Toronto to Chicago, like 7.5 hours. I have a friend that drives it when he comes to visit.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 am

Wonder how many he is going to play at his shows ?
Don't remember him playing too many from his last album.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:57 am

gr8dane wrote:Wonder how many he is going to play at his shows ?

I think the cd is going to be played before the show. He will have a normal rock show. Not sure if he's going to add anything new or any surprises. But you never know!
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 am

StyxGuy wrote:I'm considering it... GA floors is awesome :)

If you can make it, try to. I would love to road trip to Toronto, one of my favorite cities to visit!
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:57 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
gr8dane wrote:Wonder how many he is going to play at his shows ?

I think the cd is going to be played before the show. He will have a normal rock show. Not sure if he's going to add anything new or any surprises. But you never know!

Noticed he will be giving the cd away at some shows.Nice bonus.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 am

I see he is going to Nashville, may have to drive over. Been about 3 years since I saw him.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby yogi » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:02 am

Anyone know if DDY's albums( Vol 1 &2) will be just him with some guests singing, or will some of his current band mates ( August, Jimmy) be singing lead on some of the tracts??

I'm really looking forward to it and to seeing him in Grand Prarie, Tx in July @ the Verizon Theater. Great venue. Seats around 7,000. I've seen Dream Theater perform there twice. Sound is excellent. Huge parking right at the venue. Its a fantastic place for a show. I hope they promote it. Styx was once HUGE in Dallas. They were as BIG as ANY artist could ever dream of being for about a 5-7 year stretch. Dennis will have new music ( which he really needs to play 4-5 songs) along with all Sty'x other signature songs.

Cant wait for the albums & the tour.

Anyone coming to Grand Prarie, TX for the show? Its 10 minutes from Dallas
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby masque » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:49 am

I just hope the album is good....period. The cover art is ok.....its not grand illusion worthy, but most releases these days dont have memorable cover art anyway.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:03 pm

masque wrote:I just hope the album is good....period. The cover art is ok.....its not grand illusion worthy, but most releases these days dont have memorable cover art anyway.

Steve Perry did a great job on the artwork on his new album. DDY should have done something along those lines.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:47 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
masque wrote:I just hope the album is good....period. The cover art is ok.....its not grand illusion worthy, but most releases these days dont have memorable cover art anyway.

Steve Perry did a great job on the artwork on his new album. DDY should have done something along those lines.

Styx Mission is great too,I think.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:37 am

I don’t see how the artwork from the reissues are any similar. The 3 locomotives represent John, Chuck and Dennis the founders of the band. Very nice touch.

Last edited by SuiteMadameBlue on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby LtVanish » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:44 pm

I would imagine we are a week away from the first song being released by Frontiers as a teaser. They usually release a song or two a month out from the actual release.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:27 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:

I don’t see how the artwork from the reissues are any similar. The 3 locomotives represent John, Chuck and Dennis the founders of the band. Very nice touch.

And a caboose for Suzanne maybe.? :-)
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby LtVanish » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:15 am

I think it was a mistake making this album into two volumes. It should of been just a single double album. It makes it confusing to casual fans and the second volume will sell much less than the first. I worry the second volume will never get released or cancelled by the label. I don't want to complain too much though, I am very much looking forward to hearing these new songs. I have preordered it on cd and vinyl. I hope the mastering is good on this album, Frontiers always ruins it somehow making it too loud and compressed to death.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:36 am

gr8dane wrote:

That's not nice, stop being on troll on this thread and also a bully. It's about the release of Dennis' new album.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:58 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
gr8dane wrote:

That's not nice, stop being on troll on this thread and also a bully. It's about the release of Dennis' new album.

Laurie,Laurie,Laurie.
You are way too sensitive.
I liked the cover idea, but thought it could have been done a lot better.
Yes ,I think Mission Styx looks excellent, a lot more professional than ,the new Dennis.
So I played around with words ,related to trains ,and involved Suzanne.OK,I thought,
I was a little bit funny, but I didn't expect to think you did, of course.
I don't know if I am the only one, but I can only see part of the cover.
Sure it's a nice gesture to dedicate a train each to Chuck and John.
Have a great weekend,if you still see froy,send him my best.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:38 am

LtVanish wrote:I think it was a mistake making this album into two volumes. It should of been just a single double album. It makes it confusing to casual fans and the second volume will sell much less than the first. I worry the second volume will never get released or cancelled by the label. I don't want to complain too much though, I am very much looking forward to hearing these new songs. I have preordered it on cd and vinyl. I hope the mastering is good on this album, Frontiers always ruins it somehow making it too loud and compressed to death.

That makes sense, a double album would have benefited everyone better. By being a double album it would increase album sales. But I don't think it would get cancelled because Frontiers isn't going anywhere and have released some stinkers before (Quiet Riot anyone?). And yes, mastering is questionable at times but his live album sounded great.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Monker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:12 pm

I'm sorry but using the Styx font, saying the three trains represent the DDY and the P's, and the third train's "nose" saying "Trade Winds" is a bit over the top for me. Why can't it just be a solo album? 100yrs was good enough without all of these Styx references. Can't the music speak for itself?
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:48 am

I think its a GREAT ode to cover.

Its ode to Styx, which DDY founded and help put on the map. Its ode to John & Chuck P who also founded the band and brought it to millions of fans across the globe.

TW4 the Tradewinds whatever they are part of the GREAT Styx name & past.

FANTASTIC idea and cover. I hope the music is also GREAT
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:42 am

yogi wrote:I think its a GREAT ode to cover.

Its ode to Styx, which DDY founded and help put on the map. Its ode to John & Chuck P who also founded the band and brought it to millions of fans across the globe.

I think it looks kind of cheap. Good idea...... bad execution. What really matters is the music! We will know soon.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:37 am

yogi wrote:I think its a GREAT ode to cover.

I understand what you are saying. But, DDY's conduct over the past 30yrs or so is explicitly saying not that he HELPED put them on the map but that HE put them on the map. That HE was solely responsible for their sound. That HE produced all of the albums. That HE made all the difficult decisions. Implying that HE is responsible for everything that Styx was, and is.

So, IMO, this is a Styx album cover essentially saying that HE is Styx. That may not have been his intention, but it how it looks to me.

Somebody above mentioned Perry's album cover. I have been very critical of BOTH DDY and Perry for how they controlled their bands, etc. However, Steve Perry has never came out said that when he joined the band that he reinvented their sound, that he wrote all of their hits, that he was responsible for their success. His fans have done that, but he has never made that argument - not to the extent that DDY has. His album cover has references to Journey; scarabs, infinity signs, references to various album cover, etc. But, he also includes other references to his own life and past. It much more of a dedication to his history to music in general, and life in general, which of course includes Journey.

DDY would have been better off, IMO, by doing this "ode" in a more settle way and not continuing his narartive of "I started Styx - that was my band..." To me, it's offensive, because he is not Styx. He a part of a whole. I can listen to 100yrs and hear that part of Styx influence his solo sound. But, if this album does the same it will seem to me to be DDY trying to be Styx without the rest of the band. That is the atmosphere that this cover has set up for me.
Monker
MP3

Next

Return to Styx