The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri May 14, 2021 6:42 am

This refers to the song only:
Yogi said it all “Sounds nothing like the Styx I love” here here!
Queen? You’re Styx damn it!
Kansas? You’re Styx damn it!
ELO? You’re Styx damn it
Vocoder? Domo!
If Tommy is singing a verse it must be from the back of a milk carton or the trunk of his car.
JY first why?
This is an arrangement of different writers ideas in search of a song.
Styx wrote great songs. That’s why we all loved them not because they had prog stuff or were ripping off other bands. We loved their songs all different kinds.
This is not one of them nor ever will be.
Crash vs Misanthrope or Hero please get real.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby yogi » Fri May 14, 2021 7:09 am

BUT Suite I REALLY REALLY liked Cyclorama, especially Glens stuff & JY's These are The Times + the Tommy & Glen duet & One with Everything. Kiss Your Ass Goodbye as punky as it is sounds 100X's more like Styx than Classless Clowns does.

As for The Mission....... I absolutely LOVE the album. The entire album. Locomotive is just flat out GREAT!!! Red Storm GREAT!!! ........

Cant wait for Volume 2 to drop I do wish Dennis would let his entire band + Glen perform new StiX songs for his final opus.

Anxious to here both upcoming efforts. Box score currently reads DDY 2 for 2 with 2 doubles , Styx 0 for 1 with a backwards K

For the record A Kingdom ABlaze & Locomotive were both HR's
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri May 14, 2021 7:56 am

yogi wrote:BUT Suite I REALLY REALLY liked Cyclorama, especially Glens stuff & JY's These are The Times + the Tommy & Glen duet & One with Everything. Kiss Your Ass Goodbye as punky as it is sounds 100X's more like Styx than Classless Clowns does.

As for The Mission....... I absolutely LOVE the album. The entire album. Locomotive is just flat out GREAT!!! Red Storm GREAT!!! ........

Cant wait for Volume 2 to drop I do wish Dennis would let his entire band + Glen perform new StiX songs for his final opus.

Anxious to here both upcoming efforts. Box score currently reads DDY 2 for 2 with 2 doubles , Styx 0 for 1 with a backwards K

For the record A Kingdom ABlaze & Locomotive were both HR's


Yogi my complaint is about this song only. Not the album which I have not heard.
I have said that The Mission sounded more like Styx than Cyclorama but the songs outside of Locomotive didn’t connect with me. I see we like the same songs from Dennis and Styx. Locomotive and Kingdom. I do not look for trouble except when Dennis is needlessly attacked by those who review with their eyes and their Tommy JY talking points agenda.
I was asked to review the Mission I did not volunteer. I’m not here to tell anyone what to like, only to call out haters. You always give an honest musical opinion without all the nasty politics.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Monker » Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:This refers to the song only:
Yogi said it all “Sounds nothing like the Styx I love” here here!
Queen? You’re Styx damn it!
Kansas? You’re Styx damn it!
ELO? You’re Styx damn it


It is a huge compliment to compare ANYBODY to those bands. Styx should feel honored.

Vocoder? Domo!


According to Dennis himself, Tommy is the one who brought that into KWH.

If Tommy is singing a verse it must be from the back of a milk carton or the trunk of his car.


So what. One of Burtnik's complaints was that Tommy had all the attention of the label and they were looking for his voice on any single. I like the change...and JY being absent is one my (minor) complaints about "The Mission". JY's lead vocal has a major place in Styx. Shame on you for discrediting it.

JY first why?


Because they can and SHOULD.

This is an arrangement of different writers ideas in search of a song.


Oh, please, changes in tempo and style is Progressive. I'm HAPPY to hear things like that in Styx. They should do it more often. Styx should do an 15 minute song with all kinds of twists and turns like in this song.

Styx wrote great songs.


Like "Snowblind", which also contains some of the very things you are bitching about.
Like "These Are the Times", which Dennis turned down recording but is one of JY's best Styx songs.

That’s why we all loved them not because they had prog stuff or were ripping off other bands. We loved their songs all different kinds.


Just because you do not like it does not mean others are wrong for liking it You do not dictate what makes a good Styx song.

This is not one of them nor ever will be.


You do not know that.

Crash vs Misanthrope or Hero please get real.


I do not like Hero much at all. It is a very, very mediocre song to me. Tom Morelo is WASTED on a 80's throwback song with a 90's guitar solo with a commentary from topics from 2005. Yawn.

Ms Anthrope is an 8min throwback to 1970's Styx. Too bad he got fired for his inability, or unwillingness, to write such songs for Styx from 1979 - 1998. It's OK for what it is but it is very uninteresting to me because it's already been done.

The guitar intro to Crowns reminds me a lot of Shaw/Blades "My Hallucinations". It's Tommy getting back to a style I really like from him. It's a typical JY vocal...but it's been so long that he has had something to really get into that it sounds fresh from Styx. Gowan's keyboards and vocals are OUTSTANDING on this song. The change ups in the song make it more interesting and not repetitive and BORING like Ms Anthrope. I LOVED the acoustic version of "Our Wonderful Lives" and I wish I had saved it before it was taken down...very much looking forward to hearing the CD version of that song.

Dennis is doing a nostalgic throwback to his life and career. Styx is continuing to move forward with theirs. Styx will NEVER sound like they did in the 1970's....and they don't need to. They are doing fine moving forward rather than looking back. If all Styx did was try to sound like they did 40yrs ago, you would whine that they can't move on from Dennis - and you would be right. The fact that Styx has never done that is a compliment and a strength that they should continue - despite what whiners like you say.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11361
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Jodes » Sat May 15, 2021 12:26 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
I do not look for trouble except when Dennis is needlessly attacked by those who review with their eyes and their Tommy JY talking points agenda.

.


Yet someone goes off on me because I don't like someones voice in the chorus and starts assuming things about me. No that's not looking for trouble AT ALL.
Last edited by Jodes on Sat May 15, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jodes
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:41 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby yogi » Sat May 15, 2021 12:30 am

I NEVER wrote the quote that you quoted me on!
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby yogi » Sat May 15, 2021 1:02 am

Monk- you are dead ass wrong on comparing Styx to ELO & Queen being a good thing for Styx fans. I never liked either of those bands. I maybe like a total of 4 ELO songs & 2 Queen songs. I’ve never purchased any ELO music and the only music I ever purchased from Queen was their News to the World album back when I was in like 6th or 7th grade.

I have no problems at all with JY’s lead vocals on this or Gowan’s Freddy Mercury type lead vocals later on. I’m still searching for Tommy on this dreadful track. It’s dreadful for me when ALL of their voices blend together sounding like a combo of a B Side ELO/Queen song.

I truly hope the rest of the album is much better. I’ve already ordered 2 CD copies. If it’s anywhere near as good as Cyclorama or The Mission I will be happy. But jumping out of the gate with this song worries me that it will be another Brave New World, What If, or worse yet side 1 of Kilroy or Out On A Day Pass.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Jodes » Sat May 15, 2021 1:25 am

yogi wrote:I NEVER wrote the quote that you quoted me on!


Fixed

Apologies.
User avatar
Jodes
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:41 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Monker » Sat May 15, 2021 4:07 pm

yogi wrote:Monk- you are dead ass wrong on comparing Styx to ELO & Queen being a good thing for Styx fans.


That is NOT what I said. I said, "It is a huge compliment to compare ANYBODY to those bands. Styx should feel honored.' Some people here actually said that Gowan was "channeling Freddie Mercury". That is a HUGE compliment and Gowan should feel pretty good about that! The BAND should be pretty content that "Stynx" fans have moved from "Alvin and the Chipmunks" to saying they sound like Queen, Kansas, ELO, and whoever. I played it for my son and asked who it sounded like and all he could say is "it sounds like Styx." All the way to the last bit few seconds where he said it sounded a bit like Queen. That is basically how I hear it, too.

I have no problems at all with JY’s lead vocals on this or Gowan’s Freddy Mercury type lead vocals later on. I’m still searching for Tommy on this dreadful track. It’s dreadful for me when ALL of their voices blend together sounding like a combo of a B Side ELO/Queen song.


I don't think it sounds that way at all. I think this is how Styx should sound like.

I truly hope the rest of the album is much better. I’ve already ordered 2 CD copies. If it’s anywhere near as good as Cyclorama or The Mission I will be happy. But jumping out of the gate with this song worries me that it will be another Brave New World, What If, or worse yet side 1 of Kilroy or Out On A Day Pass.


We have already heard three other acoustic versions of other songs. You should already have a decent idea of what the album will sound like.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11361
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun May 16, 2021 1:00 am

Monker wrote:
So what. One of Burtnik's complaints was that Tommy had all the attention of the label and they were looking for his voice on any single. I like the change...and JY being absent is one my (minor) complaints about "The Mission". JY's lead vocal has a major place in Styx. Shame on you for discrediting it.


It sounds to many that JY can no longer sing lead effectively on this Crash. There are so many complaints about him everywhere on line it’s even on their own Facebook.
Comments are turned off on their YouTube video as an admission of failure. Tommy is the only voice left that matters, remember I’m a fan not a hater. I’m certain Tommy is singing a lot more on the album.


Monker wrote:Oh, please, changes in tempo and style is Progressive. I'm HAPPY to hear things like that in Styx. They should do it more often. Styx should do an 15 minute song with all kinds of twists and turns like in this song.


“Styx should do a 15 minute song with all kinds of twists and turns” only if they want to find a road to oblivion.
Well kid, we’ll always have Paris, and Ayreon LOL. You are not a Styx fan. Sean Monker Morrison is not a Styx fan if he wants 15 minute twisty turny time signature changing nonsense. They have never done anything that stupid. They were song based.
Sean Monker is a Transiputz. Be my guest and “ad one more hominem” you’ve earned it Mr. foul mouth.


Monker wrote:I do not like Hero much at all. It is a very, very mediocre song to me. Tom Morelo is WASTED on a 80's throwback song with a 90's guitar solo with a commentary from topics from 2005. Yawn.


“Tom Morello is wasted”? Tom doesn’t think so he loves the song.
No one made him do it just read his Facebook page and the fan comments. Dennis we’ll be on his podcast soon. But Styx will always have Billy Bob.

Monker wrote:The guitar intro to Crowns reminds me a lot of Shaw/Blades "My Hallucinations". It's Tommy getting back to a style I really like from him.


So add one more band to the list of not sounding like Styx. Thank you for reinforcing my point.

Monker wrote:Styx will NEVER sound like they did in the 1970's....and they don't need to. They are doing fine moving forward rather than looking back. If all Styx did was try to sound like they did 40yrs ago, you would whine that they can't move on from Dennis - and you would be right. The fact that Styx has never done that is a compliment and a strength that they should continue - despite what whiners like you say.


So Styx will never sound like they did in the 1970's? Not without Dennis they won’t. They are not moving forward, Mr. Roboto actually did that and you can’t get over it. Styx press releases constantly talk about them returning to the sound of their glory days of the late 70’s. But you claim Dennis Is looking back, try being a little consistent.

The only real strength Styx has is to play the songs written when Dennis was a part of the band. If they were to drop all of his songs as Dennis did with Tommy songs when he first toured they would have nothing but complaints and their attendance would crash.
Dennis had success for 10 years touring before he decided the Styx fans deserved to hear all their best songs. Of course he was correct. We want all the original members playing their songs for one last tour.

Now that we have seen your face on your YouTube channel with your constant (ad hominem) attacks on Dennis we all know who we’re dealing with and can put a face with the posts. Sadly we cannot un see that.
Thanks you so much for being an ignorant predictable troll.
That of course is just an opinion and by definition I can’t be wrong, said no one ever. Except you.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun May 16, 2021 3:34 am

Monker wrote:
That is NOT what I said. I said, "It is a huge compliment to compare ANYBODY to those bands. Styx should feel honored.' Some people here actually said that Gowan was "channeling Freddie Mercury". That is a HUGE compliment and Gowan should feel pretty good about that! The BAND should be pretty content that "Stynx" fans have moved from "Alvin and the Chipmunks" to saying they sound like Queen, Kansas, ELO, and whoever. I played it for my son and asked who it sounded like and all he could say is "it sounds like Styx." All the way to the last bit few seconds where he said it sounded a bit like Queen. That is basically how I hear it, too.


Sean Monker Morrison Nissan Blog

Press release from Queen:
Queens new album sounds like Styx, Kansas and ELO.
Queen fans lead violent protests claiming they have run out of ideas on how to be Queen without Freddy.



Monker wrote:We have already heard three other acoustic versions of other songs. You should already have a decent idea of what the album will sound like.


Styx press release and this is not a joke.
“Styx will return to a more classic sound on their 17th album Crash of the Crown” I guess that's what the album will sound like.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Monker » Sun May 23, 2021 2:30 pm

Hey, I'm back! Did you miss me? Probably not! HAHA!

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Monker wrote:
So what. One of Burtnik's complaints was that Tommy had all the attention of the label and they were looking for his voice on any single. I like the change...and JY being absent is one my (minor) complaints about "The Mission". JY's lead vocal has a major place in Styx. Shame on you for discrediting it.


It sounds to many that JY can no longer sing lead effectively on this Crash. There are so many complaints about him everywhere on line it’s even on their own Facebook.


Again, so what. To many others, it doesn't. YOU are the one favoring the hate over the love.;

Tommy is the only voice left that matters


Spoken like a true hater.

remember I’m a fan not a hater.


Bullshit. YOU are the only person on here who starts insulting threads like this one. YOU are the one who IMMEDIATELY jumps into threads dedicated to the new release and starts the hate fueled bullshit. YOU are the one who admits to an agenda of attacking people who you believe are under the influence of Styx. YOU are the very definition of a 'hater'.

I’m certain Tommy is singing a lot more on the album.


What a stupid comment. We already have heard three other songs all sung by Tommy. So what. It's refreshing to hear from JY and, again, Gowan sounds OUTSTANDING on this song.

“Styx should do a 15 minute song with all kinds of twists and turns” only if they want to find a road to oblivion.


Bullshit. Putting forth a true Progressive effort is NOT a "road to oblivion". That is what Styx has been doing, both with this album and "The Mission". You just have an impossible time admitting to it.

Well kid, we’ll always have Paris, and Ayreon LOL.


Ayreon is probably the top Progressive band out there. You look completely ignorant and stupid when you mock it.

You are not a Styx fan. Sean Monker Morrison is not a Styx fan if he wants 15 minute twisty turny time signature changing nonsense. They have never done anything that stupid. They were song based.


Anybody who even slightly follows my posts knows that I do not go about posting my image on the internet. If I were going to do a VLOG, I wouldn't be posting here - mostly because of bullshit like this. And, yes, I have thought about it...mostly to respond to that idiot "Real Music Observer".

My point still stands, your remarks followed what he said EXACTLY. That is what the hate of people like you stand for...Insulting Styx, insulting JY, insulting Tommy Shaw, and kissing Dennis DeYoung's ass every chance you get. And, again, your inability to even address the point of that post and instead respond ad hominem attacks ADMITS to how right I am.

“Tom Morello is wasted”? Tom doesn’t think so he loves the song.
No one made him do it just read his Facebook page and the fan comments. Dennis we’ll be on his podcast soon. But Styx will always have Billy Bob.


I don't care what Tom thinks. He is WASTED. This song sounds like Foreigner mixed with Bad Company. The 90's guitar solo sounds out of place and stupid. I played the video for my 25yr old son, All he could do is say how boring it was...until the solo. When the solo came he cracked up laughing and said, "What the fuck am I watching?"

And, Styx also has:
John Waite
The CYO
Kevin Cronin and REO
Don Felder
Brian Wilson

Sure, concentrate on Billy Bob. But, I can understand. Maybe "bourgeois pig" hits too close to Dennis' reality.

Monker wrote:The guitar intro to Crowns reminds me a lot of Shaw/Blades "My Hallucinations". It's Tommy getting back to a style I really like from him.


So add one more band to the list of not sounding like Styx. Thank you for reinforcing my point.


Yeah, saying that Tommy sounds like Tommy Shaw on Shaw/Blades proves your point that Tommy sounds like, uh, Tommy Shaw. Ok, whatever.

So Styx will never sound like they did in the 1970's? Not without Dennis they won’t.


And, WITH Dennis, they didn't. Not on Kilroy, not on Edge, not on BNW. So, fuck Dennis. Styx had to move beyond all of that bullshit. They did that on "The Mission" and from what I have heard, they did that on Crown, too.

And, haters like you, well, HATE that fact.

They are not moving forward, Mr. Roboto actually did that and you can’t get over it.


Roboto broke up the band...the very fact that the exist without Dennis proves that they have moved beyond all of this drama that you insist on arguing about.

Styx press releases constantly talk about them returning to the sound of their glory days of the late 70’s. But you claim Dennis Is looking back, try being a little consistent.


Your error light is flashing. Those two things have no consequence over each other.

First of all you quoted their press release "Styx returns to a more classic sound". Yeah, and? That is what it sounds like they did. JY singing. Lots of keyboards and harmonies. Progressive changes. That IS a more classic sounds...but it is not blatantly imitating it as Dennis did with Miss Anthrope. In addition, Dinnis has talked incessantly about how this album is all about his past with Styx and the Beatles and ending his career as it began. Styx is NOT blatantly trying to recreate Renegade, BCM, CB, etc....which is EXACTLY what Dennis ADMITTED he did.

The only real strength Styx has is to play the songs written when Dennis was a part of the band.


That is simply flat out not true. Those are the thoughts of a Styx hater.

If they were to drop all of his songs as Dennis did with Tommy songs when he first toured they would have nothing but complaints and their attendance would crash.


Haters like you have been demanding the put in songs like Babe or "Show Me the Way" for decades..saying they are the hits and are what people want to hear. Dennis has his show and Styx has theirs....and they are very far from the same thing.

And, when Dennis first started touring it was all about Hunchback and STILL trying to get a production going. I probably still have the VHS of him on local PBS saying how he hoped to get a PBS production of Hunchback.

Dennis had success for 10 years touring


He had LIMITED success. Like I have said, last time he was in this area he was performing a free concert at a rib fest. Towards the end he was NOT a huge success and had to change.

before he decided the Styx fans deserved to hear all their best songs. Of course he was correct.


Of course that is propaganda. If he had continued down the path of ignoring Styx, he would have stopped touring YEARS ago.

We want all the original members playing their songs for one last tour.


Which will never happen...and it shouldn't. Just because people whine about wanting something does not mean they should get it.

Thanks you so much for being an ignorant predictable troll.
That of course is just an opinion and by definition I can’t be wrong, said no one ever. Except you.


Correct, it's an OPINION. By its very definition it can not be proven wrong. It also can't ne proven right. It is based on your own biased and hate filled thoughts and not on facts.

I am not the one going around creating mocking threads to insult the band, YOU ARE.
I am not the one who EXPLICITELY said I was out to expose those who were under the influence of Styx. YOU ARE.
I am not the one who jumps into threads dedicated to Styx albums and singles as soon as they are created to post hate. YOU ARE.

YOU are a hater and troll. Your actions and words prove it.

Image
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11361
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Wed May 26, 2021 3:15 am

Monker wrote:
And, WITH Dennis, they didn't. Not on Kilroy, not on Edge, not on BNW. So, fuck Dennis. Styx had to move beyond all of that bullshit. They did that on "The Mission" and from what I have heard, they did that on Crown, too.

And, haters like you, well, HATE that fact.


“F...Dennis” is all anyone needs to know about you and hate. Looking at your constant mindless YouTube posts from your car reinforces your sick obsession.
Sean Monker Morrison please do all your future screeds from your car and not on this site so we can watch you with the sound off. Do you have a thyroid problem.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby yogi » Wed May 26, 2021 5:48 am

Enuff Z'Nuff Kids!!! No one on here is a troll. Most have been here since the get go.

I think it's safe to say that Dennis TOTALLY got FUC KED by Tommy, JY, & Chuck all because of $$$$$$. Add to it he was slandered & lied about by them. They all have basically held a made up / fictitious grudge against Dennis for 20+years. They all can now afford to do this because there are strength in #'s & in $$$$, they have all made oodles of cash touring & they basically dont need Dennis anymore. Add to it the $$$$$ he would rightfully demand.

It sucks that Dennis cant do anything legally about this but they HAVE the legal right to play ANY type of 'Styx' music they like with whomever they want. And they get to do this all in the eyes of the court. Even if that music includes concept albums and songs like 'Havent We Been Here .... I mean 'The Greater Good'. I actually heard through a trusted inside 'Current Styx' source that Dennis was going to be allowed to write & sing lead on 2 to 3 songs for Current Styx's The Mission album but when Dennis got back to them a month later his response was "I just couldnt think of any songs about space exploration"-DDY - The hypocrisy of all of this is mind numbing. Anyone here got to hear Roboto live by 'Current Styx'? I think its quite good.

On the other hand Dennis should of gotten a better lawyer. Tony LaRussa, you've gotta be kidding me, he couldnt even get himself off on either DWI charges. Also,if Dennis was sooooo invested in Styx why did his last two album with the band include two Hunchback songs and some really good?? showtunes???

No one's a troll, we all just have strong strong opinions on the matter.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Wed May 26, 2021 9:12 am

yogi wrote:Enuff Z'Nuff Kids!!! No one on here is a troll. Most have been here since the get go.

I think it's safe to say that Dennis TOTALLY got FUC KED by Tommy, JY, & Chuck all because of $$$$$$. Add to it he was slandered & lied about by them. They all have basically held a made up / fictitious grudge against Dennis for 20+years. They all can now afford to do this because there are strength in #'s & in $$$$, they have all made oodles of cash touring & they basically dont need Dennis anymore. Add to it the $$$$$ he would rightfully demand.

It sucks that Dennis cant do anything legally about this but they HAVE the legal right to play ANY type of 'Styx' music they like with whomever they want. And they get to do this all in the eyes of the court. Even if that music includes concept albums and songs like 'Havent We Been Here .... I mean 'The Greater Good'. I actually heard through a trusted inside 'Current Styx' source that Dennis was going to be allowed to write & sing lead on 2 to 3 songs for Current Styx's The Mission album but when Dennis got back to them a month later his response was "I just couldnt think of any songs about space exploration"-DDY - The hypocrisy of all of this is mind numbing. Anyone here got to hear Roboto live by 'Current Styx'? I think its quite good.

On the other hand Dennis should of gotten a better lawyer. Tony LaRussa, you've gotta be kidding me, he couldnt even get himself off on either DWI charges. Also,if Dennis was sooooo invested in Styx why did his last two album with the band include two Hunchback songs and some really good?? showtunes???

No one's a troll, we all just have strong strong opinions on the matter.


Thank you Yogi
I can’t remember any post you’ve ever made that uses this kind of language you just wouldn’t do it.
“F Dennis” just shows us what motivates everything he writes or broadcasts from his car. That’s his fundamental position which makes him a troll.
I love Styx with Dennis in the band that’s what motivates me. I would never say nor think F Tommy or JY that’s sick. I want them together. If they are together most on this site will come together, most not all.

I’m not sure where you heard that Mission story but there’s no possible way that happened. Someone is using you and is not your friend. I believe Dennis would have jumped at the chance.

While There’s Still Time was written for Styx and was the last song recorded from the 92 demos. Paradise was also written for Styx. Then adapted.
Dennis was very ill when they were putting BNW together but liked Tommy’s demos so much he got out of a sick bed to participate. He also showed up at Tommy’s Borders show to support 7 Deadly Zens
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby yogi » Wed May 26, 2021 11:58 pm

If you all get a chance and kind of want to see what its like to make an album when one of your key key members has some outside projects going on watch the video on YouTube: Staind- The Making of Staind Documentary. Its GREAT!

It's somewhat long ( over an hour), but its really really good and it really showcases what headstrong, great musicians who all have different ideas go thru to produce an album. Add to it, a really headstrong producer who has his own ideas what an album should sound like, and a deadline. The perfection demanded by pretty much everyone involved would cause most people to crack, hate one another.... After watching this, it amazes me how bands can do this and stay together for any length of time.

Then you think about touring, rehearsals, set lists, money splits, family demands .......... It blows my mind.

Makes me wonder what it was like in Styx back in the day when they were all young, super talented, super popular, with their own ideas of what should be on an album based on their likes, what they think their fans want & to do it with out repeating themselves from previous albums, tours, etc..

This video is great. Wish I knew how to post it. Wish someone more tech savy could do this.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Monker » Thu May 27, 2021 8:03 am

“F Dennis” just shows us what motivates everything he writes or broadcasts from his car. That’s his fundamental position which makes him a troll.


LOL! You don't even know what a troll is. Too funny.

Dennis went on for over a decade doing his Broadway musical thang. With "!0 on Broadway" and Hunchback. Prior to that, with Edge and Kilroy, he did nothing even close to bringing the old Progressive Styx sound out, as in Miss Anthrope. So, F DENNIS. He became more of a liability than an asset to the band. His "leadership" broke up the band with Kilroy. His songwriting turned to Broadway show tunes and ballads, almost exclusively. Styx is better than that and they kicked him out of the band because of it. F Dennis...Styx doesn't need him, and was worse off with him.

I love Styx with Dennis in the band that’s what motivates me. I would never say nor think F Tommy or JY that’s sick.


Oh, no, you just insult Tommy by calling him an addict in present tense and insult JY's voice, and insult the entire band with thread titles such as this. You even insult the artwork and compare lyrics to imply Styx stole ideas from Dennis. You may not "say" it, but it sure seems you think it.

If they are together most on this site will come together, most not all.


Again with predictions. You have NO CLUE what would happen.

While There’s Still Time was written for Styx and was the last song recorded from the 92 demos. Paradise was also written for Styx. Then adapted.


You don't even realize how lame your argument is.
First, it doesn't change fact that they are Hunchback songs.
Second, it's pretty lame that a Styx song can be changed into a Broadway show tune. It shows where Dennis' head really was at that time. It wasn't with Styx.

Dennis was very ill when they were putting BNW together but liked Tommy’s demos so much he got out of a sick bed to participate.


That's just more propaganda.

Dennis himself admitted that he became ill because he was devoting equal time between Styx and Hunchback. The simple truth is that Hunchback was interfering with his ability to contribute to Styx, and maybe the other way around, too. Styx solved that problem...Dennis could take all the time he wanted to promote Hunchback, and it still went nowhere.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11361
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri May 28, 2021 5:58 am

LOL! You don't even know what a troll is. Too funny.

Dennis went on for over a decade doing his Broadway musical thang. With "!0 on Broadway" and Hunchback. Prior to that, with Edge and Kilroy, he did nothing even close to bringing the old Progressive Styx sound out, as in Miss Anthrope. So, F DENNIS. He became more of a liability than an asset to the band. His "leadership" broke up the band with Kilroy. His songwriting turned to Broadway show tunes and ballads, almost exclusively. Styx is better than that and they kicked him out of the band because of it. F Dennis...Styx doesn't need him, and was worse off with him.


Sean says F_ _ _k Dennis in two different posts. What more needs to be said.
Check his YouTube videos under Sean Morrison to see him in action. He’s a liar, troll and a hater of someone who has never harmed him.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby LtVanish » Fri May 28, 2021 1:10 pm

Looks like DDY's "last Guitar Hero" is out preforming Styx Crash on Youtube. DDY 'Isle of Misanthrope' is really out preforming the Styx song. I guess the masses have spoken. :D
User avatar
LtVanish
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Chicago IL

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Monker » Fri May 28, 2021 1:38 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Sean says F_ _ _k Dennis in two different posts. What more needs to be said.
Check his YouTube videos under Sean Morrison to see him in action. He’s a liar, troll and a hater of someone who has never harmed him.


And, this is the type of activity that makes you a Troll.

You know I'm not Sean. It's just a lie you are telling to get a reaction...and ignore the ontopic post that I made. THAT is what a troll does. You are just being a Styx Bitch.

Oh, and, BTW, FUCK Dennis. I don't know what "F____k Dennis" is supposed to mean. That is too many "_"s for the word FUCK. So, not sure what the fuck you are talking about.
Last edited by Monker on Fri May 28, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11361
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Monker » Fri May 28, 2021 1:43 pm

LtVanish wrote:Looks like DDY's "last Guitar Hero" is out preforming Styx Crash on Youtube. DDY 'Isle of Misanthrope' is really out preforming the Styx song. I guess the masses have spoken. :D


69k vs 59k. That's nothing to get excited about. The video for "I Saw a Car" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCfoKtDs0XE) from above is also from a new album and it has more hits than both of them...77k...and is a song that most here have probably never heard of.

The fact is that neither are too popular...even with Dennis' song being a follow up and having a guest on guitar.

When it gets to 2million, like Gilmour's last song, then someone can start bragging. Until then : meh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwI1RmYaVB0
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11361
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby LtVanish » Fri May 28, 2021 2:11 pm

Monker wrote:
LtVanish wrote:Looks like DDY's "last Guitar Hero" is out preforming Styx Crash on Youtube. DDY 'Isle of Misanthrope' is really out preforming the Styx song. I guess the masses have spoken. :D


69k vs 59k. That's nothing to get excited about. The video for "I Saw a Car" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCfoKtDs0XE) from above is also from a new album and it has more hits than both of them...77k...and is a song that most here have probably never heard of.

The fact is that neither are too popular...even with Dennis' song being a follow up and having a guest on guitar.

When it gets to 2million, like Gilmour's last song, then someone can start bragging. Until then : meh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwI1RmYaVB0


I think it speaks miles IMO. Especially Isle of Misanthrope having 258K views. That is pretty impressive win in my eyes. Probably cause it is a song with more of a real traditional Styx sound, and much better lyrics than Crash.
User avatar
LtVanish
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Chicago IL

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Monker » Fri May 28, 2021 3:07 pm

LtVanish wrote:I think it speaks miles IMO. Especially Isle of Misanthrope having 258K views. That is pretty impressive win in my eyes. Probably cause it is a song with more of a real traditional Styx sound, and much better lyrics than Crash.


That's about the same as his "You're an asshole" video from last year. So, it's about where it should be. What speaks volumes is that "Guitar Hero" is doing nothing but "To the Good Old Days" at least kept the momentum. The truth is that whatever momentum he had with Isle, which IS a good song for what it is, has been LOST with the release of "Guitar Hero"...that song should have been held until the album was released. I think the album is worse off for releasing it early.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11361
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby LtVanish » Fri May 28, 2021 4:51 pm

Monker wrote:
LtVanish wrote:I think it speaks miles IMO. Especially Isle of Misanthrope having 258K views. That is pretty impressive win in my eyes. Probably cause it is a song with more of a real traditional Styx sound, and much better lyrics than Crash.


That's about the same as his "You're an asshole" video from last year. So, it's about where it should be. What speaks volumes is that "Guitar Hero" is doing nothing but "To the Good Old Days" at least kept the momentum. The truth is that whatever momentum he had with Isle, which IS a good song for what it is, has been LOST with the release of "Guitar Hero"...that song should have been held until the album was released. I think the album is worse off for releasing it early.


I bet if you were to ask Frontiers records they are happy with the sales of the album. If DDY wanted to do another album, he would get another contract with them no question.
User avatar
LtVanish
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Chicago IL

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Jodes » Fri May 28, 2021 11:55 pm

I have the 92 "Son Of Edge" Demos/Recordings.

While There's Still Time was NOT part of them.

Beneath The Moon was - which oddly was on Deyoung's Boomchild Album AND Hunchback. I will have to go back and listen, not sure if that is DDY's solo version or a Styxified Version.

It also includes Glen's "It Takes Love to Make Love" which is a slightly different version than on GH2.

I will say though that "Someday We'll Fly" "Nothing In Common" and "All For Love" all sound phenomenal and why these weren't released on one of his Solo Albums - is a travesty.

Glen's contributions/ sung songs (Which have all found their way online) - "Devil In Me" , "Watching The World Go By" " Don't Give Up On Me" " Love On My Mind" worked for the sound Styx had in the early 90s.

Yes, "Watching' is what ended up on Palookaville.

There were no JY tracks. (Maybe These Are The Times was the track that JY brought to DDY and he rejected? at this time? Shrug)
User avatar
Jodes
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:41 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat May 29, 2021 7:52 am

Jodes wrote:I have the 92 "Son Of Edge" Demos/Recordings.

While There's Still Time was NOT part of them.

Beneath The Moon was - which oddly was on Deyoung's Boomchild Album AND Hunchback. I will have to go back and listen, not sure if that is DDY's solo version or a Styxified Version.

It also includes Glen's "It Takes Love to Make Love" which is a slightly different version than on GH2.

I will say though that "Someday We'll Fly" "Nothing In Common" and "All For Love" all sound phenomenal and why these weren't released on one of his Solo Albums - is a travesty.

Glen's contributions/ sung songs (Which have all found their way online) - "Devil In Me" , "Watching The World Go By" " Don't Give Up On Me" " Love On My Mind" worked for the sound Styx had in the early 90s.

Yes, "Watching' is what ended up on Palookaville.

There were no JY tracks. (Maybe These Are The Times was the track that JY brought to DDY and he rejected? at this time? Shrug)


WTST was a demo recorded after the initial sessions at Dennis’s house. It was the last song written and was recorded at Pumpkin studios by Gary Loizzo. Dennis has said he played and sang everything and was a last ditch effort to get a record deal. The Panozzo’s chose not to participate in the sessions..
Dennis, JY and Glen played everything. JY offered no songs. The only song I have ever heard was All 4 Love.
I really liked it. I agree that song could have been on any of his albums. Are these posted on line somewhere? I’d love to hear them.
From what I remember from interviews “Chain Me Down” was the only song ever written that didn’t end up on a Styx album. They recorded what was written and this avoided the problem of writers being rejected.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Jodes » Sat May 29, 2021 11:54 am

WTST was a demo recorded after the initial sessions at Dennis’s house. It was the last song written and was recorded at Pumpkin studios by Gary Loizzo. Dennis has said he played and sang everything and was a last ditch effort to get a record deal. The Panozzo’s chose not to participate in the sessions..
Dennis, JY and Glen played everything. JY offered no songs. The only song I have ever heard was All 4 Love.
I really liked it. I agree that song could have been on any of his albums. Are these posted on line somewhere? I’d love to hear them.
From what I remember from interviews “Chain Me Down” was the only song ever written that didn’t end up on a Styx album. They recorded what was written and this avoided the problem of writers being rejected.[/quote]

Only the Glen songs are available online on Youtube, and maybe a live bootleg Version of All For Love is floating around.

These are the Glen written songs from the Demos:
It Takes Love To Make Love
Love On My Mind
Watching The World Go By
Devil In Me
Don't Give Up On Me

All for Love was I guess written by all three.
User avatar
Jodes
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:41 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby Andrew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Monker wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Sean says F_ _ _k Dennis in two different posts. What more needs to be said.
Check his YouTube videos under Sean Morrison to see him in action. He’s a liar, troll and a hater of someone who has never harmed him.


And, this is the type of activity that makes you a Troll.

You know I'm not Sean. It's just a lie you are telling to get a reaction...and ignore the ontopic post that I made. THAT is what a troll does. You are just being a Styx Bitch.

Oh, and, BTW, FUCK Dennis. I don't know what "F____k Dennis" is supposed to mean. That is too many "_"s for the word FUCK. So, not sure what the fuck you are talking about.


Ease up!
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10548
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: The CRASH OF THE CLOWNS

Postby StyxCollector » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:13 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:From what I remember from interviews “Chain Me Down” was the only song ever written that didn’t end up on a Styx album. They recorded what was written and this avoided the problem of writers being rejected.


CMD was recorded by Styx :) There's at least one or two other curious done at the demo stage that never made it to an album ...
User avatar
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:14 am


Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron