Contrast

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Contrast

Postby Archetype » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:20 pm

Journey is adding new and extra members and everyone is taking it for what it is: a big boost in their sound. Styx brings Will into the fold, a great player, backing vocalist, and producer, and everyone’s screeching conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory. Just enjoy the music. Holy shit.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2436
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Andromeda

Re: Contrast

Postby yogi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:49 pm

Actually got a chance to hear the new & improved Journey rehearse. They did bring in the horn section from Earth Wind & Fire & Chimney Sweeper & Fence Builder from the Village People. It does add a new dimension and tons of layering to their sound.

Got to hear Who’s Crying Now with horns & a wild disco version of Feeling That Way & Anytime. It’s crazy good shite.

Pat Benetar is also rumored to be on board in selected cities( fir their next tour) and will be singing lead on 3 new Journey songs.,
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4271
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: Contrast

Postby StyxGuy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:41 pm

What I personally struggle with as a music fan is when the lead vocal is replaced. I honestly think that's really all I cared about when Dennis got the boot. I like how he sings the songs he wrote and I want to hear him perform them.... plenty of casual fans couldn't give a shit, they just want ANYONE to sing *that* song they love.

Lawrence is a stellar musician (he gets off the keyboards and plays plenty of guitar during his solo shows) but still to this day wish it was Dennis singing whenever I see Styx... that's just how I personally feel... I *wish* things were different... they are not, and well.. that's that.

Will isn't singing lead vocals anywhere is he? If they feel that they need more guitars to be able to play live, so be it. Queen had Spike Edney as a sideman in their tours, Freddie passed away and he became their touring keyboardist when they decided to play live again as Queen+

Look at Foreigner (who seem to have done just fine over the years... lots of tours with Styx!).. They've got one original member :P
StyxGuy
45 RPM
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Contrast

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:01 am

Archetype:
Journey is adding new and extra members and everyone is taking it for what it is: a big boost in their sound. Styx brings Will into the fold, a great player, backing vocalist, and producer, and everyone’s screeching conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory. Just enjoy the music. Holy shit.


StyxGuy wrote:What I personally struggle with as a music fan is when the lead vocal is replaced. I honestly think that's really all I cared about when Dennis got the boot. I like how he sings the songs he wrote and I want to hear him perform them.... plenty of casual fans couldn't give a shit, they just want ANYONE to sing *that* song they love.

Lawrence is a stellar musician (he gets off the keyboards and plays plenty of guitar during his solo shows) but still to this day wish it was Dennis singing whenever I see Styx... that's just how I personally feel... I *wish* things were different... they are not, and well.. that's that.

Will isn't singing lead vocals anywhere is he? If they feel that they need more guitars to be able to play live, so be it. Queen had Spike Edney as a sideman in their tours, Freddie passed away and he became their touring keyboardist when they decided to play live again as Queen+

Look at Foreigner (who seem to have done just fine over the years... lots of tours with Styx!).. They've got one original member :P


Styx with Dennis brought a horn section on tour with them. But that’s still different and you know it. Watch the 96 Styx tour, they didn’t need anyone else. Or Children’s Miracle Network.

Journey didn’t try and ruin Steve Perry personally and professionally with 20 years of blame saying they hated Faithfully or Open Arms. They had their differences but without the unnecessary character assassination And they kept playing there hit ballads while always trying to find someone who sounded like Steve. They aren’t stupid. Imagine Gowan in Journey.

Archetype, you’re right it isn’t a conspiracy because the King simply ordained it.
Why do they need Will on stage I’m not a musician I don’t understand.
Styx has never needed another guitar player and they don’t now. And all apologists should admit it but you can’t because you would have to admit what your idol has done. The toll of it all is there on JY’ face and in the interview I posted.
In my opinion Queen always did need another guitar because there was only Brian May and there were so many guitars on their records..
Foreigner has a singer who sounds like Lou Gramm.
$tyx has access to someone who sounds exactly like Dennis, it’s Dennis.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: Contrast

Postby Monker » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:58 pm

yogi wrote:Actually got a chance to hear the new & improved Journey rehearse. They did bring in the horn section from Earth Wind & Fire & Chimney Sweeper & Fence Builder from the Village People. It does add a new dimension and tons of layering to their sound.

Got to hear Who’s Crying Now with horns & a wild disco version of Feeling That Way & Anytime. It’s crazy good shite.

Pat Benetar is also rumored to be on board in selected cities( fir their next tour) and will be singing lead on 3 new Journey songs.,


None of this would surprise me. The first show back had two drummers including one who didn't seem to know the songs, at least three lead singers (Arnel, Deen, and that other keyboardist), two keyboardists, a replacement guy on bass. The last show also had Neal forgetting one of his solos and Arnel sounding bad for the first five songs....and they didn't even play their new song.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11534
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: Contrast

Postby LtVanish » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:02 pm

It would be great if Styx added another drummer IMO. Lenny Castro perhaps on Aux Percussion section, then they can play Plexiglass Toilet.
User avatar
LtVanish
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Chicago IL

Re: Contrast

Postby Monker » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:13 pm

LtVanish wrote:It would be great if Styx added another drummer IMO. Lenny Castro perhaps on Aux Percussion section, then they can play Plexiglass Toilet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnwc_42htuU
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11534
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: Contrast

Postby LtVanish » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:12 pm

Monker wrote:
LtVanish wrote:It would be great if Styx added another drummer IMO. Lenny Castro perhaps on Aux Percussion section, then they can play Plexiglass Toilet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnwc_42htuU



Seen it before, lame version. I want full band performance with a full percussion section. Styx needs percussion upgrade like Journey. Todd isn't cutting it anymore.
User avatar
LtVanish
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Chicago IL

Re: Contrast

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:57 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Journey didn’t try and ruin Steve Perry personally and professionally


And, Steve Perry didn't spend 20yrs with incessant whining and complaining like a little bitch and then trying to get back the band at every turn. Nope. He told Neal and Jonathan to not crack the stone, that if they did this there was no going back. Steve Perry did not force the band to fire him, he negotiated his way out of the partnership...because Neal and Jonathan no longer wanted him there. Steve Perry did not sue the band. He took his lumps for being an overbearing controling ass during the ROR years and putting the band on hold right in the middle of THEIR reunion album and tour.

with 20 years of blame saying they hated Faithfully or Open Arms.


You are so ignorant. Those are NOT Steve Perry songs. They are Jonathan Cain songs.

Jonathan brought in "Open Arms" from his time in The Babys. Perry liked it and insisted on recording it. Neal hated it. His reaction was, "What am I supposed to do with this?" As if it should be centered on him. Steve Smith's reaction was "It seemed a little Mary Poppins to me". According to Herbie, the entire band harassed Perry during the recording because NONE of them were into it...until they performed it live and saw the crowd reaction. Neal embraced the song so much that he even recently added a new solo section to it.

Jonathan came up with "Faithfull" while he was asleep and dreaming on a tour bus during the Escape tour. Perry liked it so much that he wanted it for his solo album, but Jonathan refused because he wanted it to be a Journey song.

Neither of these songs created a rift in the band. The recording of ROR did...for the same reasons Kilroy caused problems with Styx. ROR was Steve's baby. He owned it, he produced it. He controlled every aspect of it from the cover art, to the concept, to the firing and hiring of the drummer and bassist. In interviews Neal said he HATED Steve Perry during that time. He would go into the studio being strung out from the night before, Perry would look at him and "I can see you're not going to be worth anything today." and then he would record him guitar part in one take and then leave.

They had their differences but without the unnecessary character assassination


No, Dennis was an idiot and sued the band. Perry was smart and negotiated his way out...part of which was non-disclosure agreements that the band had to sign. So they COULDN'T talk about it or Perry would sue them. Neal said he couldn't comment but Herbie could because he didn't sign a NDA. That is where the old "Castles Burning" interview came from, where Herbie lays everything out...except he didn't leave ANYBODY untouched...basically calling them ALL a bunch a money grabbing assholes...Well, except for Gregg Rolie, and slightly less for his wannabe son, Neal. He called Perry a liar who had NO INTENTION of touring for the reunion, he said Perry was a drug addict, he accused Perry of taking credit for Jonathan's work on Escape during interviews which left Jonathan crying at one point. He said Perry's voice changed sometime around ROR due to his aging and maturing...that this shit happens but Perry couldn't accept it. And, on and on and on.

So, there was plenty said. You are wrong. The other difference is that Perry - to his credit - kept his mouth shut about the entire situation. He was not out there saying he could kiss people who said Journey could not be Journey without him. in fact, he embraced Arnel and gave him his full support, during the HOF induction. In fact, in his speech he thanked the entire band - including Herbie who he had a long standing feud with. The difference is that Dennis can't shut the fuck up about what "liars" the band are, etc. He has been obsessed with it. Perry let it go when he was removed from "Elmo Partners".

And, trust me, I'm not somebody who is overly complimentary to Steve Perry...but in this way he deserves a LOT of credit. He was in to not only protecting his legacy with Journey, but Journey's legacy as a whole. He seems to know that insulting the band as they are today damages the memory of who they were in 1983 as well, Dennis is so conceited, arrogant, and such a narcissist that insulting Styx insults the ENTIRETY of Styx and damages ALL of it.

And they kept playing there hit ballads while always trying to find someone who sounded like Steve. They aren’t stupid. Imagine Gowan in Journey.


Again, you are ignorant.

Steve Augeri was hired because he could cover the old songs, but was different enough to bring something new to their sound. To this day, IMO, he was the best replacement for Perry because of this very fact. JSS would be a complete change from the Perry years....he would have been Journey's Gowan. Arnel was hired, IMO, because Wal-Mart wanted the covers CD...and the new CD has the classic sound. BUT, as soon as Neal could he went out and did Eclipse and tried to push things in a different direction.

Archetype, you’re right it isn’t a conspiracy because the King simply ordained it.
Why do they need Will on stage I’m not a musician I don’t understand.


They don't NEED Will there at the concerts. But, he has written two albums worth of new songs with the band. There is NO reason he shouldn't be there...and there is no reason he should not be added as part of the band. You don't like it, so what...you don't pay to go to the concerts anyway.

In my opinion Queen always did need another guitar because there was only Brian May and there were so many guitars on their records.


Does Journey need two drummers? Does Journey need two keyboardists? Does Journey need three lead singers?

Foreigner has a singer who sounds like Lou Gramm.


I don't think he sounds much like Lou Gramm at all. He is just a great singer.

$tyx has access to someone who sounds exactly like Dennis, it’s Dennis.


Thankfully, Dennis no longer has access to Styx. Dennis signed those rights away.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11534
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: Contrast

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Monker wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Journey didn’t try and ruin Steve Perry personally and professionally


And, Steve Perry didn't spend 20yrs with incessant whining and complaining like a little bitch and then trying to get back the band at every turn. Nope. He told Neal and Jonathan to not crack the stone, that if they did this there was no going back. Steve Perry did not force the band to fire him, he negotiated his way out of the partnership...because Neal and Jonathan no longer wanted him there. Steve Perry did not sue the band. He took his lumps for being an overbearing controling ass during the ROR years and putting the band on hold right in the middle of THEIR reunion album and tour.

with 20 years of blame saying they hated Faithfully or Open Arms.


You are so ignorant. Those are NOT Steve Perry songs. They are Jonathan Cain songs.

Jonathan brought in "Open Arms" from his time in The Babys. Perry liked it and insisted on recording it. Neal hated it. His reaction was, "What am I supposed to do with this?" As if it should be centered on him. Steve Smith's reaction was "It seemed a little Mary Poppins to me". According to Herbie, the entire band harassed Perry during the recording because NONE of them were into it...until they performed it live and saw the crowd reaction. Neal embraced the song so much that he even recently added a new solo section to it.

Jonathan came up with "Faithfull" while he was asleep and dreaming on a tour bus during the Escape tour. Perry liked it so much that he wanted it for his solo album, but Jonathan refused because he wanted it to be a Journey song.

Neither of these songs created a rift in the band. The recording of ROR did...for the same reasons Kilroy caused problems with Styx. ROR was Steve's baby. He owned it, he produced it. He controlled every aspect of it from the cover art, to the concept, to the firing and hiring of the drummer and bassist. In interviews Neal said he HATED Steve Perry during that time. He would go into the studio being strung out from the night before, Perry would look at him and "I can see you're not going to be worth anything today." and then he would record him guitar part in one take and then leave.

They had their differences but without the unnecessary character assassination


No, Dennis was an idiot and sued the band. Perry was smart and negotiated his way out...part of which was non-disclosure agreements that the band had to sign. So they COULDN'T talk about it or Perry would sue them. Neal said he couldn't comment but Herbie could because he didn't sign a NDA. That is where the old "Castles Burning" interview came from, where Herbie lays everything out...except he didn't leave ANYBODY untouched...basically calling them ALL a bunch a money grabbing assholes...Well, except for Gregg Rolie, and slightly less for his wannabe son, Neal. He called Perry a liar who had NO INTENTION of touring for the reunion, he said Perry was a drug addict, he accused Perry of taking credit for Jonathan's work on Escape during interviews which left Jonathan crying at one point. He said Perry's voice changed sometime around ROR due to his aging and maturing...that this shit happens but Perry couldn't accept it. And, on and on and on.

So, there was plenty said. You are wrong. The other difference is that Perry - to his credit - kept his mouth shut about the entire situation. He was not out there saying he could kiss people who said Journey could not be Journey without him. in fact, he embraced Arnel and gave him his full support, during the HOF induction. In fact, in his speech he thanked the entire band - including Herbie who he had a long standing feud with. The difference is that Dennis can't shut the fuck up about what "liars" the band are, etc. He has been obsessed with it. Perry let it go when he was removed from "Elmo Partners".

And, trust me, I'm not somebody who is overly complimentary to Steve Perry...but in this way he deserves a LOT of credit. He was in to not only protecting his legacy with Journey, but Journey's legacy as a whole. He seems to know that insulting the band as they are today damages the memory of who they were in 1983 as well, Dennis is so conceited, arrogant, and such a narcissist that insulting Styx insults the ENTIRETY of Styx and damages ALL of it.

And they kept playing there hit ballads while always trying to find someone who sounded like Steve. They aren’t stupid. Imagine Gowan in Journey.


Again, you are ignorant.

Steve Augeri was hired because he could cover the old songs, but was different enough to bring something new to their sound. To this day, IMO, he was the best replacement for Perry because of this very fact. JSS would be a complete change from the Perry years....he would have been Journey's Gowan. Arnel was hired, IMO, because Wal-Mart wanted the covers CD...and the new CD has the classic sound. BUT, as soon as Neal could he went out and did Eclipse and tried to push things in a different direction.

Archetype, you’re right it isn’t a conspiracy because the King simply ordained it.
Why do they need Will on stage I’m not a musician I don’t understand.


They don't NEED Will there at the concerts. But, he has written two albums worth of new songs with the band. There is NO reason he shouldn't be there...and there is no reason he should not be added as part of the band. You don't like it, so what...you don't pay to go to the concerts anyway.

In my opinion Queen always did need another guitar because there was only Brian May and there were so many guitars on their records.


Does Journey need two drummers? Does Journey need two keyboardists? Does Journey need three lead singers?

Foreigner has a singer who sounds like Lou Gramm.


I don't think he sounds much like Lou Gramm at all. He is just a great singer.

$tyx has access to someone who sounds exactly like Dennis, it’s Dennis.


Thankfully, Dennis no longer has access to Styx. Dennis signed those rights away.


Sean Monker Morrison sold his car. Wow, this HAS to be you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=XVUoWV_nvfk
Last edited by SuiteMadameBlue on Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: Contrast

Postby Jodes » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:05 pm

So now you're mocking the homeless?

Wow.
User avatar
Jodes
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:41 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Contrast

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:06 am

Jodes wrote:So now you're mocking the homeless?

Wow.


I’m not mocking of the homeless and you know it, just this troll. PC Jodes.
Last edited by SuiteMadameBlue on Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Suite Madame Blue
User avatar
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:17 pm
Location: Paradise............

Re: Contrast

Postby yogi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:01 am

Speaking of Journey and Herbie’s Castles Burning interview my favorite quote ( which I will paraphrase)by far from Herbie was:

If you were drowning and Steve had a life preserver he’d make you feel guilty for you asking him to throw it in to save you. It was something like that. Epic quote !!

Steve A was also my favorite replacement singer. Faith In the Heartland, Remember Me, and their EP were all great new additions to name a few to the Journey catalog
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4271
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: Contrast

Postby Jodes » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:49 am

Thank you Suite.

I may of over-reacted a bit, but with everything going on here in Alberta, (now if people get Covid they don't have to isolate, the Gov't is no longer providing free testing, and the Delta variant is spiking) I've seen so many businesses close, families broken, etc I am very afraid that many will lose everything before this is all said and done. It's been bad days after bad days for so many.

This fall will be an interesting one when I'm in front of students again. So many questions yet our government cuts and cuts and cuts. It's overwhelming.

With that said, I was in JY's shoes briefly. My wife and I were my mothers caretaker for a few months before we had to make the decision to move her to a secure Dementia unit. It was exhausting. Whenever we could make arrangements to get a few days of normalcy we took it. It breaks what's left of my heart to hear of what JY and his family are going through.

We shouldn't judge or make assumptions.
User avatar
Jodes
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:41 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Contrast

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:24 am

StyxGuy wrote:What I personally struggle with as a music fan is when the lead vocal is replaced. I honestly think that's really all I cared about when Dennis got the boot. I like how he sings the songs he wrote and I want to hear him perform them.... plenty of casual fans couldn't give a shit, they just want ANYONE to sing *that* song they love.


Agree that I want to hear the original, but that doesn't mean I want to hear "anyone" sing those songs.

StyxGuy wrote:I *wish* things were different... they are not, and well.. that's that.


Bingo.

StyxGuy wrote:Look at Foreigner (who seem to have done just fine over the years... lots of tours with Styx!).. They've got one original member :P


Apparently Mick is really not healthy and he is 82 years. so it may be doubtful there is even 1 original member...
jrnyman28
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6525
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:15 pm

Re: Contrast

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:25 am

Archetype wrote:Journey is adding new and extra members and everyone is taking it for what it is: a big boost in their sound.


Oh there are plenty of people who now have a new reason to hate on Journey...
jrnyman28
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6525
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:15 pm

Re: Contrast

Postby Monker » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:03 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Sean Monker Morrison sold his car. Wow, this HAS to be you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=XVUoWV_nvfk
Jodes wrote:So now you're mocking the homeless?

Wow.


You are a liar, I’m not mocking of the homeless and you know it, just this troll. PC Jodes.


You are using Sean's videos in an attempt to spark a reaction from me. So, you cowardly assault Sean in a passive aggressive attempt to insult and offend me.

That is the very definition of a troll...and a very pathetic one at that.

You may not be "mocking" homeless people. But, you are using the stereotype of being homeless in your trolling antics. That is just as bad, and it doesn't make Jodes a "liar"...just misstating his thoughts.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11534
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: Contrast

Postby Jodes » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:17 am

Go figure I thank you, post my comment and a day or so later I see yet another backhanded comment "PC Jodes".

PLEASE

FUCK RIGHT OFF.

I'm done. I've had enough of this petty bullshit and I'm tired of everything.
User avatar
Jodes
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:41 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada


Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests