To: ChicagoStyx - My Review of COTC

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

To: ChicagoStyx - My Review of COTC

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:41 am

CS, once again you asked. Good tidings from Queen B

The Music
I will make this brief. Far too much on this album sounds like an attempt to sound like other bands. This has been pointed out on web sites, YouTube, on their own Facebook page and even in reviews. Even the positive ones mention it. These are the bands I saw listed. Kansas, ELO, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Beatles and the most glaring “Queen”.
It doesn’t make it bad just less like Styx. (Save your breath Hello Goodbye is an actual tribute).

Lyrics.
The lyrics on most of the songs have a common theme. One of survival and rebirth but tinged with doubt. These are times of doubt. There is no “Get up get back on your feet” etc. something catchy that you can bite into although that’s what they’re aiming for. Deeper meanings are absent. Very similar to Mission where we learn nothing from the journey.
I have said it before that Tommy’s singular lyrical voice is absent. Crystal Ball etc. please. I noticed “castle wall” and the dreaded line from First Time “ don’t be afraid of love” in there.
For some, words to do not matter as much as the music, in fact Dennis has said so. Regardless Classic Styx lyrics hold up remarkably well. Thoughtful, human and deep.
For instance the awkwardness of the line “a monster chasing its tail” detracts from a good song. The vagueness of all these lyrics in general take away from the music which is good.
For fun go back and reread the lyrics on GI and PO8 and see the glaring deficiencies of COTC.

The miscalculations of Prog.
Lady is what got me interested in Styx in the first place and to me it was just a ballad turned rocker on my favorite station. I wanted to be someone’s Lady and have somebody sing that song to me. The dynamics the harmonies and that voice is what instantly captured me. I didn’t really know what art rock was. Or care really, I wanted songs on the radio that I liked. When I started buying albums my tastes expanded but I’m a song person so;

I agree with Dennis when he says they were a “fake prog band” not only is it funny but honest.
Watch Pete Pardo it’s all explained right there. I loved that interview. Even on the first album Styx sounded more like an American rock band than a prog band. The first song was Children of the Land. Take Fanfare For The Common Man and Mother Nature‘s Matinee off Styx I and there isn’t any prog. All the WN albums are a combination of an American rock band fused with prog elements. Rock n Roll Feelin to Serpent is Rising.
Father OSA to 22 Years. They were never just one style and to to think so is indefensible if you just listen.

Which brings me to the Mission and COTC.
Whomever is in charge today seems enamored with the delusion that Styx was simply a prog band, or should be now.
Any prog “doo dad” that is encouraged to the current arrangements for credibility are distracting rather than enhancing. Too often they are there without actual validity to the song itself. I have said it before “tricky time signatures” have no meaning to me. I’m not a musician so I can’t be impressed. Too many times on this album they’re distracting. If that’s a preference for some that’s fine but not for me and millions of Styx fans.
The songs are short and seem cobbled together through arrangements to give it a sense of importance. Mission did the same thing. As I think back Classic Styx rarely did this. Golden Lark into SFS with the thunderstorm and Castle Walls into Grand Finale are the only ones I can remember. There could be others.
Too many songs on COTC seem half formed or cut short just when they get going. No one was there to recognize the important parts. For guys who said we just wanna rock They don’t unless they mean we just wanna prog rock. I read Abbey Road was their goal. But that was not prog. Mission not accomplished. Sorry.

Classic Styx we’re a combination of three distinct singer songwriters who were brought together into a cohesive whole. The singers were different and unique and the harmonies were some of the best in music.
Not on COTC. I’m not a technical wiz but the harmonies are lifeless and feel dull and without passion and there are a lot of them. And they do not sound like Styx because Dennis is missing. Too much Gowan and almost no JY. Maybe JY can’t do it the same way anymore who knows. The parts being sung are good but not the sound.

Lead vocals.
Tommy for the most part sings great. He bares the weight here as he should which only points to the horrible decision to release COTC and Reveries first. I was not kind to these songs and many Styx fans felt the same way. What were they thinking? The album itself is better and those songs, they belong at the bottom of the list.
When Dennis was in charge of production Tommy’s voice never “sounded” better.
As good as Tommy is singing here he never “sounds” great. He deserves more from his producer. By comparison the most recent example would be Dear John which is truly magnificent. Our Wonderful Lives is a good song. He needed to sound more welcoming like the old days. I have no idea how that’s done.
I did notice more southern, country Shaw on this record then on any Classic Styx. Only an observation. Y’all.

If Tommy’s not singing lead there’s no one else I care to listen to. I’m not alone nor am I a minority.

Guitars
The guitar playing focus’s on the acoustic. This is Tommy’s strength and he is still great. Nothing really stands out on electric guitar, sorry. Nothing bad at all mind you, just no wow moments like Miss America or Half Penny Two Penny or Snowblind and many others. JY where are you? It should be apparent by now that JY was not in favor of these new albums and it shows. They needed him as the hard rock conscious of the group.

Finally
For those who always wanted Styx to be more prog than they actually were, I get why you would like this. I really do. But for the millions of Styx fans who loved their incredible songs, their 3 singers, their insightful lyrics and variety this will leave you like me pinning for the good old days.

Actually I only listened to 30 seconds of each song on iTunes so I give it a B-. Sorry I couldn’t resist!
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: To: ChicagoStyx - My Review of COTC

Postby yogi » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:40 am

Prelude 12 seamlessly into Suite Madame Blue - Suite Madame Blue is not near as good of a song without the Prelude IMO

Claire De Lune into Ballerina exact same as Suite Madame Blue

The end of Eddie transforms perfectly into Love In The Midnight

Half Penny Two Penny moves perfectly into AD 1958 closing the Paradise Theater album

You missed those Suite also the song Hold Back the Darkness Gowan & Tommy are perfect together. Gowan is a superstar on this album.

As much as I hate the FACT that Dennis got TOTALLY FUC k Ed by Tommy, JY & Chuck ( guys he thought were his friends) and I can’t imagine the pain of my buddies doing this to me, this album is brilliant.

Like soo many fans on both sides of the aisle if you can separate the bands drama from the actual music I don’t see how anyone wouldn’t love this brilliant album.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Jodes » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:16 pm

yogi wrote:Prelude 12 seamlessly into Suite Madame Blue - Suite Madame Blue is not near as good of a song without the Prelude IMO

Half Penny Two Penny moves perfectly into AD 1958 closing the Paradise Theater album

You missed those Suite also the song Hold Back the Darkness Gowan & Tommy are perfect together. Gowan is a superstar on this album.

As much as I hate the FACT that Dennis got TOTALLY FUC k Ed by Tommy, JY & Chuck ( guys he thought were his friends) and I can’t imagine the pain of my buddies doing this to me, this album is brilliant.

Like soo many fans on both sides of the aisle if you can separate the bands drama from the actual music I don’t see how anyone wouldn’t love this brilliant album.

Umm you mean the guy that literally stole millions from Chuck and John by changing their royalties for the songwriters? But will get a 5 way split when they were touring? Then literally gets them dropped from their record label and nothing until the mid 90s?
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:55 am

yogi wrote:Prelude 12 seamlessly into Suite Madame Blue - Suite Madame Blue is not near as good of a song without the Prelude IMO

Yogi
Telling my “Lady” story was an attempt to speak for the millions of Styx fans who never wed themselves to the prog thing and were fans of their musical diversity. We liked the songs on the radio. I am sincerely happy that COTC brings you joy. I am.

My reasons for not being a fan of COTC are clearly stated. Lyrics. Harmonies. Lead vocalists. And guitar solos that really rock. The album does not sound enough like Classic Styx. It doesn’t sound familiar.

You believe Gowan is a superstar on this album while I contend that his voice either solo or in harmony with Tommy diminishes the music.
Go back and listen to the Renegade opening, Haven’t We Been Here Before, TMTOMH, DLIE, Dear John, WTST, the Borders live thing CSA or BOTR and you’ll hear vocal magic. Tommy and Dennis.
And please read those incredible lyrics.
Mission and COTC are not bad albums they are just not my taste.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:54 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:CS, once again you asked. Good tidings from Queen B

The Music
I will make this brief. Far too much on this album sounds like an attempt to sound like other bands. This has been pointed out on web sites, YouTube, on their own Facebook page and even in reviews. Even the positive ones mention it. These are the bands I saw listed. Kansas, ELO, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Beatles and the most glaring “Queen”.
It doesn’t make it bad just less like Styx. (Save your breath Hello Goodbye is an actual tribute).

You are stating this as fact, but it is simply not true. Anybody who listens to this album with an unbiased ear knows they are not putting forth an effort to sound like other bands. That's a silly accusation.

Lyrics.
The lyrics on most of the songs have a common theme. One of survival and rebirth but tinged with doubt. These are times of doubt. There is no “Get up get back on your feet” etc. something catchy that you can bite into although that’s what they’re aiming for. Deeper meanings are absent.

This is just more bullshit as well. You are again stating something as a fact that is simply your biased opinion. "Our Wonderful Lives" is absolutely a catchy and upbeat song...and at the same time, unique in the Styx catalog for its style. Also, "Sound the Alarm" is brilliantly written because you inherently think "sound the alarm" is a warning....but as the song progresses, you find it is an "all clear" message...completely changing the mood and message of the song. This album is full of moments like that.

Very similar to Mission where we learn nothing from the journey.

Oh, please. This is the lamest critique in this post. These are not albums to teach you a lesson. "Crash of the Crown" is an examination of our current state of our nations politics, how we treat each other, and rising out of the isolation of the pandemic. They are songs encouraging a self-examination and change...not preachy dramatic bullshit. How you choose to react is your choice, or to not react at all, or just be a butt and do nothing but biased critique. IMO, that is one of the biggest positives of this album. It doesn't have to call anybody an asshole to make a point.

I have said it before that Tommy’s singular lyrical voice is absent. Crystal Ball etc. please. I noticed “castle wall” and the dreaded line from First Time “ don’t be afraid of love” in there.

Yeah, this is the same type of frame of mind that cause you and Froyline to critique Glen for insulting Dennis with "Killing the Thing That You Love". It is just made up bullshit from a demented mind.

For instance the awkwardness of the line “a monster chasing its tail” detracts from a good song.

No it doesn't. The ouroboros symbol of a snake/serpent chasing it's tail is an old symbol for infinity It ties into the versus very well. What goes around, comes around...endless cycles of this political bullshit that are currently in

I agree with Dennis when he says they were a “fake prog band” not only is it funny but honest.

What Dennis says about Styx from more than 40yrs ago is irrelevant. Styx has evolved, from Cyclorama, The Mission, to Crash of the Crown, is refreshing and new. What Styx has done is remarkable...moved on from their past and stayed true to who they really are - and come up with songs and albums that people still care about.

In fact, you would be even MORE critical, and maybe even justifiably if all Styx did was try to sound like that old band.

Whomever is in charge today seems enamored with the delusion that Styx was simply a prog band, or should be now.

That's just simply not true. "Our Wonderful Lives" is not Progressive at all. "The Fight of Our Lives" and "To Those" have a similar feel but are not very "Progressive". "Save Us From Ourselves" and "Sound the Alarm" are also not very Progressive.

There is absolutely a variety of styles and sounds on this album...just not the ones you are DEMANDING.

Any prog “doo dad” that is encouraged to the current arrangements for credibility are distracting rather than enhancing. Too often they are there without actual validity to the song itself. I have said it before “tricky time signatures” have no meaning to me. I’m not a musician so I can’t be impressed. Too many times on this album they’re distracting. If that’s a preference for some that’s fine but not for me and millions of Styx fans.

If you are not a musician and they do not have any meaning, you would not even notice them. IMO, it seems like these things are being pointed out to you and in retrospect you say you do not like something you did not even notice when you first heard it.

You are also DEAD WRONG about how changing a time signature affects a song. There are several places where they changed the time signature where it absolutely changes the entire mood of the song - for a desired effect. Styx is not being like Yes, and doing such things just to show off their skills. You are making a completely ignorant point.

The songs are short and seem cobbled together through arrangements to give it a sense of importance. Mission did the same thing.

They did this because it is meant to be listened to as an ALBUM, not individual songs. That is VERY obvious to me. Yes, The Mission did this....but Crash of the Crown perfected it. They did an incredible job at writing an ALBUM. I hope they keep doing this. Sell the album....radio does not play new singles from classic rock bands anyway.

For guys who said we just wanna rock They don’t unless they mean we just wanna prog rock.

I also think this is a bullshit line that haters like you are saying. This album absolutely rocks. What it does NOT do is syrupy love song ballads - there is not a single one here.

Not on COTC. I’m not a technical wiz but the harmonies are lifeless and feel dull and without passion and there are a lot of them. And they do not sound like Styx because Dennis is missing. Too much Gowan and almost no JY. Maybe JY can’t do it the same way anymore who knows. The parts being sung are good but not the sound.

They do not need to sound like 40yr old Styx songs to be good harmonies. They sound like Brian Wilson came in to help get them right. The singing - all of it - sounds fucking awesome.

Lead vocals.
Tommy for the most part sings great. He bares the weight here as he should which only points to the horrible decision to release COTC and Reveries first.

funny, you guys were bragging about YouTube hits....Well, CotC is basically TIED with Miss Anthrope now.

They did NOT make a mistake on singles....and I don't know what you mean by "first". There probably won't be any more singles, IMO...no need. People can listen to the entire album on Spotify and YouTube - for free.

For those who always wanted Styx to be more prog than they actually were, I get why you would like this. I really do. But for the millions of Styx fans who loved their incredible songs, their 3 singers, their insightful lyrics and variety this will leave you like me pinning for the good old days.

It has NOTHING to do with how Progressive Styx was 40yrs ago, or how Progressive they are today. THIS is an awesome sound for Styx. You are in complete denial of how good this band sounds, how well CotC is written, and how this band does not need Dennis to create great music.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:45 pm

The Music

Lyrics.
The lyrics on most of the songs have a common theme. One of survival and rebirth but tinged with doubt. These are times of doubt. There is no “Get up get back on your feet” etc. something catchy that you can bite into although that’s what they’re aiming for. Deeper meanings are absent. Very similar to Mission where we learn nothing from the journey.
For some, words to do not matter as much as the music, in fact Dennis has said so. Regardless Classic Styx lyrics hold up remarkably well. Thoughtful, human and deep.
For instance the awkwardness of the line “a monster chasing its tail” detracts from a good song. The vagueness of all these lyrics in general take away from the music which is good.
For fun go back and reread the lyrics on GI and PO8 and see the glaring deficiencies of COTC.

Lady is what got me interested in Styx in the first place and to me it was just a ballad turned rocker on my favorite station. I wanted to be someone’s Lady and have somebody sing that song to me. The dynamics the harmonies and that voice is what instantly captured me. I didn’t really know what art rock was. Or care really, I wanted songs on the radio that I liked. When I started buying albums my tastes expanded but I’m a song person so;

Watch Pete Pardo it’s all explained right there. I loved that interview. Even on the first album Styx sounded more like an American rock band than a prog band. The first song was Children of the Land. Take Fanfare For The Common Man and Mother Nature‘s Matinee off Styx I and there isn’t any prog. All the WN albums are a combination of an American rock band fused with prog elements. Rock n Roll Feelin to Serpent is Rising.
Father OSA to 22 Years. They were never just one style and to to think so is indefensible if you just listen.

The songs are short and seem cobbled together through arrangements to give it a sense of importance. Mission did the same thing. As I think back Classic Styx rarely did this. Golden Lark into SFS with the thunderstorm and Castle Walls into Grand Finale are the only ones I can remember. There could be others.
Too many songs on COTC seem half formed or cut short just when they get going. No one was there to recognize the important parts. For guys who said we just wanna rock They don’t unless they mean we just wanna prog rock. I read Abbey Road was their goal. But that was not prog. Mission not accomplished. Sorry.

Classic Styx we’re a combination of three distinct singer songwriters who were brought together into a cohesive whole. The singers were different and unique and the harmonies were some of the best in music.

Lead vocals.
Tommy for the most part sings great. He bares the weight here as he should which only points to the horrible decision to release COTC and Reveries first. I was not kind to these songs and many Styx fans felt the same way. What were they thinking? The album itself is better and those songs, they belong at the bottom of the list.
As good as Tommy is singing here he never “sounds” great. He deserves more from his producer. By comparison the most recent example would be Dear John which is truly magnificent. Our Wonderful Lives is a good song. He needed to sound more welcoming like the old days. I have no idea how that’s done.
I did notice more southern, country Shaw on this record then on any Classic Styx. Only an observation. Y’all.

If Tommy’s not singing lead there’s no one else I care to listen to. I’m not alone nor am I a minority.

Guitars
The guitar playing focus’s on the acoustic. This is Tommy’s strength and he is still great. Nothing really stands out on electric guitar, sorry. Nothing bad at all mind you, just no wow moments like Miss America or Half Penny Two Penny or Snowblind and many others. JY where are you? It should be apparent by now that JY was not in favor of these new albums and it shows. They needed him as the hard rock conscious of the group.

Finally

Actually I only listened to 30 seconds of each song on iTunes so I give it a B-. Sorry I couldn’t resist!

Hello Suite, although my opinion of the album is quite different then yours, I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. You not being a musician explains the technical elements being lost on you. I also feel LGs work on this album is outstanding! DDY already made the album with the things you say are missing here in your review and you see how well that went over. Styx has moved and I couldn't be happier with COTC. They doubled down on the elements I like most about Styx. Good review!
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:49 am

The Music

Lyrics.

Lead vocals.

Guitars

Finally

One thing you did not mention is what song or songs you like most on the album. You mentioned COTC and Reveries are at the bottom of your list, what's at the top? I'm sure you've listened to album many more times by now and maybe your opinion has changed a bit. For me, this album keeps getting better. They are now playing 5 songs from the album live. Makes me want to go see them again this year.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:14 pm

I think JY’s solo in “A Monster” is actually one of his very best. It’s isn’t crazy technical or anything, but it really grabs you.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:41 pm

being someone who actually listens to a lot of prog rock, i can say with 100% accuracy that styx, past or present, isn't an actual prog band. they have moments where they dabble in prog rock.....but through it all, they are a melodic rock band first and foremost.

not sure why people get so hung up on that all the time......not sure why DDY seems so hell bent for leather to separate them from being labeled anything......i can understand why in the 70's that people who bought GI or PO8 would at first blush say "styx is a prog rock band"........but I can guarantee you that the people who said that were not people listening to old genesis, yes or kansas at that time.....lol

that would also be like hearing miss america or great white hope and claiming styx was a metal band.

i think what happens is that anytime a band has moments where they dabble off into the world of being "proggy" that the causal fan lumps them into that category.

as for me i just call them a melodic rock band with occasional proggy moments.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby jimmy19029 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:44 am

Very nice and detailed review, Suite! WELL SAID! The album is starting to grow on me. But it certainly is miles away from the Dennis era of the early 80s for sure.
jimmy19029
LP

Return to Styx