Styx 50th Anniversary

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Styx 50th Anniversary

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:33 am

With the 50th anniversary only 6 months away I started thinking about what I would like to see happen. A tour where they play at least one song from each album would be nice. A new box set with some unreleased songs. A record store day release of BNW, Cyclorama, and Big Band on vinyl. Any other thoughts?
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: Styx 50th Anniversary

Postby StyxGuy » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:25 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:With the 50th anniversary only 6 months away I started thinking about what I would like to see happen. A tour where they play at least one song from each album would be nice. A new box set with some unreleased songs. A record store day release of BNW, Cyclorama, and Big Bang on vinyl. Any other thoughts?

I'd love to see RTP on a 2xLP remaster but I'm not sure there's any interest in the current Styx group to touch on DDY related albums.

There's many times that band members have said "there's no vault" in relation to unreleased music, obviously we've heard these days from Mission and Crash that they've come up with more material than they've put out. I'm not sure we've ever seen a full release of their music videos.

I think it was a JY interview in 2020 that hinted at this year being a big one for Paradise Theatre 40th anniversary and all plans were quashed due to the pandemic (possible 'world tour'?) and that would have lead into 2022 for the 50th Anniversary of Styx.

Big Bang Theory on vinyl could be fun for an RSD release. Rush had their 'Feedback' EP which made it to vinyl ;)

I'd love to hear that Chuck and Dennis are corresponding still... Dennis e-mailed Chuck about use of video and photos of him and John for his 'Good Old Days' music video. If Dennis cared about that friendship as much as he's claimed, hopefully he's been trying to keep that door open.
StyxGuy
45 RPM

Postby StyxCollector » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 pm

StyxGuy wrote:There's many times that band members have said "there's no vault" in relation to unreleased music

There's enough they can release which would make fans happy (yes, there are demos and outtakes as well as a couple of b-sides that will never see the light of day).

So it depends how you define what unreleased is. If it's just songs never heard, no there isn't much? Everything else? Yup.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby Jodes » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:12 am

I waited almost 30 years to hear the Dennis tracks on "Son Of Edge".

I can wait longer. If they get released after I'm gone. Oh well.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:19 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:With the 50th anniversary only 6 months away I started thinking about what I would like to see happen. A tour where they play at least one song from each album would be nice. A new box set with some unreleased songs. A record store day release of BNW, Cyclorama, and Big Band on vinyl. Any other thoughts?

In one of those JY interviews he said there was something special being planned for next year. It wasn't solidified so he couldn't talk about it. But, I'm wondering if they are planning something for a 50th anniversary tour. Maybe they could get Glen to tour with them, too.

There are probably enough "extra" "new" songs that have been recorded since Cyclorama that they could put out an album of just those,..and I'm sure most people haven't heard them.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:18 am

Hopefully besides Glen, they will allow Dennis to sing and play in a couple of shows. Chicago and in some other midwest states.

Let the shit go already for a few nights.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby StyxGuy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:39 am

yogi wrote:Hopefully besides Glen, they will allow Dennis to sing and play in a couple of shows. Chicago and in some other midwest states.

Let the shit go already for a few nights.

Doubtful. When there was a tiny sliver of hope for Dennis to return, it seems he fucked it up by going around to the press and saying "That's not Styx on tour because I'm not there"... that shut the door... his lawsuit replaced that door with a wall :/

I'm hopeful that he's still communicating with Chuck (they'd emailed a bit when he recorded 26 East, Vol 1. as Dennis wanted permission to use photos and video of Chuck and John)
StyxGuy
45 RPM

Postby yogi » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:04 am

IMO there is no way to celebrate a Styx 50th Anniversary when arguably the most important founding member to their success that’s still alive, wants to be there but isn’t allowed. That makes 0 sense. Invite him to jump on board for the Chicago show or shows with the current band. Let him sing & perform the songs he wrote and sang for 1 to 7 nights at the beginning of the tour. If he agrees to that allow it and then move on for the rest of the shows without him. Maybe allow him a night or three in Canada too. Let him sing & perform Lady, Suite Madame Blue, The Grand Illusion, Babe, The Best of Times, Roboto & Come Sail Away.

They’ve got to be bigger than that. Like it or not, Dennis is a HUGE part of the reason they are where they are now in their lives. Without his vision they all might of ended up like Head East. Surely they are all smart enough to realize that. Swallow your damn pride. Give the founder (along with Chuck) 7 songs in 7 cities for your 50th anniversary. He’s still got the chops & I’m guessing he’d agree to that. It’s the right thing to do.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:09 am

yogi wrote:IMO there is no way to celebrate a Styx 50th Anniversary when arguably the most important founding member to their success that’s still alive, wants to be there but isn’t allowed. That makes 0 sense. Invite him to jump on board for the Chicago show or shows with the current band. Let him sing & perform the songs he wrote and sang for 1 to 7 nights at the beginning of the tour. If he agrees to that allow it and then move on for the rest of the shows without him. Maybe allow him a night or three in Canada too. Let him sing & perform Lady, Suite Madame Blue, The Grand Illusion, Babe, The Best of Times, Roboto & Come Sail Away.

They’ve got to be bigger than that. Like it or not, Dennis is a HUGE part of the reason they are where they are now in their lives. Without his vision they all might of ended up like Head East. Surely they are all smart enough to realize that. Swallow your damn pride. Give the founder (along with Chuck) 7 songs in 7 cities for your 50th anniversary. He’s still got the chops & I’m guessing he’d agree to that. It’s the right thing to do.

I agree with everything you said except the part about DDY agreeing to do 7 shows. I think for him it would be all or nothing and his way or no way. That seems to be his MO.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:54 am

I believe you are also correct to a point.

Both Styx & Dennis need to compromise on this. 7 is a great number for Styx. 7 shows 4 in the US & 3 in Canada where Styx really broke are still huge with Dennis being the biggest draw. 7 of DDY led biggest hits. Record one of the DDY shows and then let current Styx move on.

It wouldn’t be a true 50th Anniversary if Dennis is ready & able without him for these Special 50th Anniversary Styx shows.

If he wants to say goodbye to his fans with Styx bad enough I think he’s a BIG enough man to go for these terms. My question would be are Tommy & JY and their management Big enough to do this. I think without a doubt Chuck, Todd, Lawerence, Ricky and Glen ( if he’s included) will be 100% good with it.

But would JY, Tommy ( the new member ) and their management team??? Shit I even half way think JY would be cool with it.

7 Special Shows & 7 DDY sung songs.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:21 pm

yogi wrote:Both Styx & Dennis need

No they don't. They don't "need" to do anything. Dennis is retiring, essentially. He doesn't "need" to tour at all. Styx closed the door on Dennis decades ago. They don't need to do anything at all with Dennis.

All of this is simply selfish wants and desires from fans...not 'needs' of the band or Dennis.

to compromise on this. 7 is a great number for Styx. 7 shows 4 in the US & 3 in Canada where Styx really broke are still huge with Dennis being the biggest draw. 7 of DDY led biggest hits. Record one of the DDY shows and then let current Styx move on.

It wouldn’t be a true 50th Anniversary if Dennis is ready & able without him for these Special 50th Anniversary Styx shows.

If he wants to say goodbye to his fans with Styx bad enough I think he’s a BIG enough man to go for these terms. My question would be are Tommy & JY and their management Big enough to do this. I think without a doubt Chuck, Todd, Lawerence, Ricky and Glen ( if he’s included) will be 100% good with it.

But would JY, Tommy ( the new member ) and their management team??? Shit I even half way think JY would be cool with it.

And, seven reasons for Dennis and his fans to say, "see, Dennis can perform with the band and get along. So, why not allow him record a few songs next album and join a full tour? He's proven there is no reason to keep him out of the band."

That is why it should never happen...and I *REALLY* hope it doesn't.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:43 pm

Monker wrote:
yogi wrote:Both Styx & Dennis need

No they don't. They don't "need" to do anything. Dennis is retiring, essentially. He doesn't "need" to tour at all. Styx closed the door on Dennis decades ago. They don't need to do anything at all with Dennis.

All of this is simply selfish wants and desires from fans...not 'needs' of the band or Dennis.

to compromise on this. 7 is a great number for Styx. 7 shows 4 in the US & 3 in Canada where Styx really broke are still huge with Dennis being the biggest draw. 7 of DDY led biggest hits. Record one of the DDY shows and then let current Styx move on.

And, seven reasons for Dennis and his fans to say, "see, Dennis can perform with the band and get along. So, why not allow him record a few songs next album and join a full tour? He's proven there is no reason to keep him out of the band."

That is why it should never happen...and I *REALLY* hope it doesn't.

As far as I know DDY is still hunkered down in his basement. I have a feeling his touring days are over.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:54 am

The people constantly clamoring for a Dennis reunion remind me of the types people who stalk their ex for the rest of the their lives. Get the fuck over it and move on. Damn. I remember when Roy Khan left Kamelot. I was shocked and disappointed and didn’t think I’d like any replacement. Then they hired Tommy Karevik, released a kickass album, and the train kept rolling, as it should.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:36 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
As far as I know DDY is still hunkered down in his basement. I have a feeling his touring days are over.

Dennis has stated his touring days aren't yet over, but he doesn't want any risk of COVID so he's willing to wait it out for now.

Plenty of artists still aren't touring and we've also seen with some of those who have gone back out have had to cancel or postpone shows (not to mention those who have had someone within the band or crew get sick from COVID).

Styx has dozens of people relying on them for employment and far more to loose if they spent 2+ years off the road. I suspect Crash of the Crown could have easily "flopped" (in terms of sales) if they hadn't been out promoting the snot out of it on tour.

Dennis got paid for his albums in advance, he doesn't have some giant road crew or management company relying on his income generation to pay them. There is his band, but I suspect those guys also had other things going on with how 'little' Dennis toured pre-COVID.
StyxGuy
45 RPM

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:46 am

StyxGuy wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:

Dennis has stated his touring days aren't yet over, but he doesn't want any risk of COVID so he's willing to wait it out for now.

Plenty of artists still aren't touring and we've also seen with some of those who have gone back out have had to cancel or postpone shows (not to mention those who have had someone within the band or crew get sick from COVID).

Styx has dozens of people relying on them for employment and far more to loose if they spent 2+ years off the road. I suspect Crash of the Crown could have easily "flopped" (in terms of sales) if they hadn't been out promoting the snot out of it on tour.

Dennis got paid for his albums in advance, he doesn't have some giant road crew or management company relying on his income generation to pay them. There is his band, but I suspect those guys also had other things going on with how 'little' Dennis toured pre-COVID.

Also DDY had the issue with light sensitivity which could put him in a more compromised position with COVID. As for his band, it will be interesting to see how many come back if he does decide to tour again. I would guess he would do a show here and a show there but not a full tour.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:14 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Also DDY had the issue with light sensitivity which could put him in a more compromised position with COVID. As for his band, it will be interesting to see how many come back if he does decide to tour again. I would guess he would do a show here and a show there but not a full tour.

Yeah. Even today he's still got issues with the sensitivity... not as bad but still.

I'd agree that there's probably a chance of his touring slimming down further. Instead of 40-60 shows a year... maybe 20-30?
StyxGuy
45 RPM

Return to Styx