New Styx album

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: New Styx album

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri May 12, 2017 10:38 pm

Starting May 13th the band will be off the road for about a month. I would expect to see a lot of promotion for the new album in that time.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Sat May 13, 2017 12:52 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:On or around May 16th, Styx will be on Sirius XM either playing some of the new songs live or playing the studio versions. Not sure which channel yet.

They're taping the event on Monday, at 1 PM EST. I'm not sure if it will air live or not.

It's pretty exciting to think that one of my favorite bands will be performing at my workplace. They've actually run special cables, specifically for Styx's performance, since I'm hearing that they will be using their touring rig and need greater power.

I can't post any audio (maybe a pic or 2), but I'll give a report after it happens.
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat May 13, 2017 2:28 am

RumTumJM wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:On or around May 16th, Styx will be on Sirius XM either playing some of the new songs live or playing the studio versions. Not sure which channel yet.

They're taping the event on Monday, at 1 PM EST. I'm not sure if it will air live or not.

It's pretty exciting to think that one of my favorite bands will be performing at my workplace. They've actually run special cables, specifically for Styx's performance, since I'm hearing that they will be using their touring rig and need greater power.

I can't post any audio (maybe a pic or 2), but I'll give a report after it happens.

Very cool! Will this air on the volume channel? (Live or otherwise)
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Tue May 16, 2017 1:43 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
RumTumJM wrote:

Very cool! Will this air on the volume channel? (Live or otherwise)

Not sure. Definitely Classic Rewind.

Crew is setting up now, and they are using the full touring rig. Should sound massive!

If you can, make sure to listen. It seems like you'll get to hear something you've never heard before (wink wink). :mrgreen:

-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue May 16, 2017 3:33 am

I'm tuned into Classic Rewind. I haven't heard any mention of it yet. Maybe they are recording to air in the future. No mention on the Styx Facebook page yet.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Tue May 16, 2017 8:39 am

I'm 99% sure that's it was taped, to be aired at a later time. (Definiely some edits to be made. They actually had to start Fooling Yourself a second time, since Tommy found his acoustic out of tune, when he started playing it.)

-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue May 16, 2017 8:53 am

[quote="RumTumJM"]I'm 99% sure that's it was taped, to be aired at a later time. (Definiely some edits to be made. They actually had to start Fooling Yourself a second time, since Tommy found his acoustic out of tune, when he started playing it.)[/quote]

Did you get to hear Radio Silence?
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Tue May 16, 2017 9:50 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
RumTumJM wrote:I'm 99% sure that's it was taped, to be aired at a later time. (Definiely some edits to be made. They actually had to start Fooling Yourself a second time, since Tommy found his acoustic out of tune, when he started playing it.)

I guess word got out about that! HAHAHA!

Yes, I sure did hear it!

It was sung by Tommy, and I admit, was not as classic sounding as I had hoped. It didn't have the a big guitar solo, like so many other (more like a brief guitar break). Think more along the lines of Man In The Wilderness than Gone Gone Gone or Renegade. It has that classic, Tommy Shaw contemplative feel.

Now, with that said, it sounded like a really solid song. Turned to another young guy, who also works at Sirius, right after and told him it was the 1st time they ever played it. His response was ,"WOW! That was actually a really good song!" I'm anxious to hear it again, especially the recorded version.

Rest of the setlist was Renegade, Gone Gone Gone, Blue Collar Man, Walrus, Too Much Time & Fooling Youself

-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue May 16, 2017 9:59 am

RumTumJM wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:
RumTumJM wrote:I'm 99% sure that's it was taped, to be aired at a later time. (Definiely some edits to be made. They actually had to start Fooling Yourself a second time, since Tommy found his acoustic out of tune, when he started playing it.)

I guess word got out about that! HAHAHA!

Yes, I sure did hear it!

It was sung by Tommy, and I admit, was not as classic sounding as I had hoped. It didn't have the a big guitar solo, like so many other (more like a brief guitar break). Think more along the lines of Man In The Wilderness than Gone Gone Gone or Renegade. It has that classic, Tommy Shaw contemplative feel.

Now, with that said, it sounded like a really solid song. Turned to another young guy, who also works at Sirius, right after and told him it was the 1st time they ever played it. His response was ,"WOW! That was actually a really good song!" I'm anxious to hear it again, especially the recorded version.

Rest of the setlist was Renegade, Gone Gone Gone, Blue Collar Man, Walrus, Too Much Time & Fooling Youself

Man in the wilderness would be a good thing. As long as it's not like She Cares. If it had some classic harmony and a good cord progression I will be happy.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Tue May 16, 2017 11:32 am

Oh Yes.

While the harmonies weren't mixed the best (at least from the crowd), they even had Todd singing for Radio Silence!

-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue May 16, 2017 11:36 am

RumTumJM wrote:Oh Yes.

While the harmonies weren't mixed the best (at least from the crowd), they even had Todd singing for Radio Silence!

Very nice, thank you for the update!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Wed May 17, 2017 2:18 am

http://styxworld.com/news/news/446299/s ... mance-to-a

I guess by the time this airs, we all will have heard the studio version of "Radio Silence", anyway.

-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed May 17, 2017 9:17 am

Looking at the track listing, I'm trying to guess which song JY sings. My guess would be Red Storm.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Wed May 17, 2017 3:45 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Looking at the track listing, I'm trying to guess which song JY sings. My guess would be Red Storm.

I think some of these may be instrumentals, too...more than just the ones we know about.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu May 18, 2017 4:55 am

FormerDJMike wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:https://youtu.be/IBj1KHVmpcg

How could this band know this song when no one has reared it?

So let me get this straight, a Styx tribute band is playing a track from an album that hasn't been released yet? Something tells me that if this is true, JY is not going to be happy about it. Has Styx played this song live at one of their shows already?

From what I understand they have been playing that song for a while now in concert.

This has been the walk on music for about a year
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri May 19, 2017 2:39 am

ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri May 19, 2017 7:05 pm

FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri May 19, 2017 8:31 pm

ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri May 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Definitely has that Man In The Wilderness feel.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Cassie May » Fri May 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Track by track review:

http://drmusic.org/Styx_-_The_Mission.html

Really good review. Looks like JY gets his usual one song. Lawrence comes off really well, as do the others. I'm looking forward to finally hearing this!
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 pm

[quote="FormerDJMike"]Definitely has that Man In The Wilderness feel.[/quote]

I also here a little Castle Walls in there and the wooden nichel sound.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri May 19, 2017 10:00 pm

You can't really tell much from the sound clip on Amazon but to me it sounds like MITW. Even the guitar break in the middle sounds a lot like it. I'll listen again and see if I hear any Castle Walls.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 pm

[quote="FormerDJMike"]You can't really tell much from the sound clip on Amazon but to me it sounds like MITW. Even the guitar break in the middle sounds a lot like it. I'll listen again and see if I hear any Castle Walls.[/quote]

The song really kinks in about half way through.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue May 23, 2017 12:04 am

Incase you haven't seen this....... From DRmusic.org

“Long awaited” doesn’t even scratch the surface when discussing the length of time Styx fans have had to wait for this one, the band’s 16th studio effort. It’s been a 14 year wait for original songs, but I would say The Mission, which gets unleashed on the world on June 16th, is well worth the wait.
I felt that this release was full of surprises, the first being that it’s a concept album. After Kilroy Was Here put a floppy disc straight through the heart of the band, I really didn’t see the band ever returning to the conceptual realm again. Now understand, this is a concept that takes on the idea of the first manned mission to Mars; something that is a very real possibility in the not-so-distant future it may seem. Cornball concept characters like Kilroy’s Dr. Righteous or Colonel Hyde don’t rear their ugly heads. Instead, we get something a little more elegant and a lot less Hollywood. The storyline was co-written by vocalist/guitarist Tommy Shaw with his longtime friend and collaborator Will Evankovich (Shaw/Blades).
The next surprise was that it didn’t try to be The Grand Illusion or Pieces Of Eight. Sure, the classic Styx harmonies are expertly plastered all over this, and it has all the elements of what makes Styx a great band, but this feels fresh and new. These are songs that you haven’t heard before. It’s not a rehash of the old days. Honestly, I thought we might get something like that with this release.
And the biggest and best surprise for me was the fact that Lawrence Gowan is all over this record. Gowan, who has been showered with awards and accolades in his home country of Canada, is a key component in the overall sound of this record.
Because of all the things going on throughout this album, I am going to break it down song by song and tell you what I hear.

1. “Overture” (1:23)
A short intro piece that has some of the best elements of the band within it. Drummer Todd Sucherman, arguably the best drummer out there, makes his presence known immediately, bassist Ricky Phillips lays down an excellent bassline, while Gowan puts his incredible keyboard skills to work. The core of the concept is immediately placed upon the listener as well with the lyric, “Calling out to the universe, for the future of Mother Earth”. Welcome back guys.

2. “Gone Gone Gone” (2:08)
“Light it up, Let’s get this show on the road!” That’s the catch phrase that caps off the chorus of this short kick in the teeth. Gowan sounds vocally strong while the band throws every ounce of aggression at you through manic soloing and signature harmonies.

3. “Hundred Million Miles” (3:40)
Tommy Shaw takes the lead vocals on this simple rock song, which has the great harmonies, a catchy chorus, and even a little talkbox guitar solo in there, a la Don Felder or Peter Frampton.

4. “Trouble At The Big Show” (2:30)
And now it’s James “JY” Young’s turn to put his vocal stamp on the album. While JY delivers his clear and deep “cool cat” vocals, he does it over almost constant soloing that has a bluesy Robin Trower effect. Phillips is amazing on bass, and the harmonies are sheer perfection.

5. “Locomotive” (5:04)
One of the more elegant pieces of music on the record, this one starts with Tommy Shaw and his acoustic guitar soaring on top of a keyboard strain. This song has an incredibly atmospheric feel reminiscent of classic Pink Floyd (think “Shine On Crazy Diamond”) thanks to Gowan’s synth and Phillips’ groove heavy, jazzy bassline. There’s even a short “da doo doo da” vocal harmony that harkens back to the sound of the band’s beginnings.

6. “Radio Silence” (4:17)
With a keyboard intro that sets the mood, it quickly subsides to let Tommy Shaw’s vocals carry the verse. As Shaw soars, so do the keyboards and the incredibly sharp harmonies. The song reaches its bridge and explodes with a powerful guitar riff and gripping vocals that drive the song to its finale. The track ends with an isolated vocal from Tommy Shaw, which has a devastatingly powerful effect.

7. “The Greater Good” (4:10)
Gowan and his piano grab the wheel for this one, but Shaw falls in for the second verse and ends up in a duet with Gowan. Their vocal trading works really well here. Some clean and gentle harmonies for the relaxed refrain make this one of the more subtle, softer songs on the record.

8. “Time May Bend” (2:31)
Gowan is at his very best with this one. He is vocally powerful and in control here. He almost seems like he’s conducting the fantastic choir-like harmonies in the chorus when he punches in “Calling out to the universe” and they answer with “Shine your light on me.” I feel that this is not only a powerful moment on the record, but a powerful moment in Styx’ recorded history. I’m not sure we’ve ever heard Lawrence Gowan take control of the Styx machine quite like he does in this song. He is the maestro here, and it is so refreshing and powerful. One of my favorite tracks on the record.

9. “Ten Thousand Ways” (1:22)
A very short piano and vocal interlude that does a nice job of carrying the mood and flow of the record.

10. “The Red Storm” (6:04)
This one is Tommy Shaw’s excellent clean vocals and his equally sharp 12-string in the beginning, but ends up being a progressive, almost “arty” song. This is another song that carries on the Pink Floyd vibe, only adding a “Lucky Man”, ELP-like keyboard sound as well. Look for the song to open up around the 3:30 mark with Sucherman losing his mind on the drumkit, which is a backdrop for a completely punishing guitar solo.

11. “All Systems Stable” (:18)
Just a spoken word connection between tracks.

12. “Khedive” (2:04)
Ladies and gentlemen, Lawrence Gowan. This is just Gowan doing what he does best, hammering out a tremendous classical piano piece. His speed and dexterity on keys really is astounding, and this is a nice demonstration of that. This also serves as a perfect intro to the next song.…

13. “The Outpost” (3:50)
This is the point where the journey starts to flourish and the mood gets lighter and more uplifting. Again, Gowan takes command of the ship here, and steers it into paradise. With a bright and piercing keyboard sound, and some extra large harmonies on the chorus, this is one of the strongest tracks on the album. This has all of the classic Styx elements firing at full speed, and the bright sound of the song gives it an 80’s retro feel.

14. “Mission To Mars” (2:43)
Like “The Outpost,” this is also a bright and cheerful song that is reminiscent of an 80’s sound. We get more of Shaw on vocals, but this time he almost sounds like he’s channeling Neil Young with a lilting tone that really fits the mood and theme of the record. And, harmony vocals appear throughout the record, but this whole song seems to be made up of all the harmonies that came before it. A great, rousing finish to a real work of art.

It took a while to happen, but it has happened in grand style. The entire band is firing on all cylinders, especially Phillips and Gowan. There is a theme and flow here that is edgy yet comfortable, astral yet grounded. With the shortened song structure, the whole record feels like a collection of snippets that flow together seamlessly. The song lengths can be a bit frustrating because you want to live longer inside these melodies. Just when you start to set up house, the band gently moves you into a new residence. As frustrating as that can be, I’ve quickly come to realize that that is the real beauty behind the record. The band gives us so many places to live, and we can call each of them home.

It may be too early to call it a masterpiece, but I can safely say that Styx has released one of the best albums in their catalog, and that’s saying a whole lot.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu May 25, 2017 9:32 am

7 of the 9 different mission presale packages on StyxWorld are sold out.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat May 27, 2017 1:59 am

It would be nice if the pre-orders through StyxWorld arrive a day or 2 early!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat May 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Will there be another song released before June 16th? If so I think it will be Red Storm.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sun May 28, 2017 8:51 am

The promotion should kick in to high gear by late next week.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby BRETT5150 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm pretty anxious for this album, so it better be good. I think they will deliver. They have to make up for 14 years.
What is understood need not be discussed
BRETT5150
Ol' 78

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 pm

So far there have not been any leaks of The Mission. this is a good thing. I would rather wait to hear the album when it comes out than to get a sub-par quality copy for the first listen. They have done a good job of keeping it locked up.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Styx