Dennis was 'shocked' Styx decided to play Mr. Roboto

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Dennis was 'shocked' Styx decided to play Mr. Roboto

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:12 am

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dennis ... mr-roboto/

"The only thing that saddens me — not the only thing, but the thing that saddens me the most — is to read from time to time the comments about all of us — not just me, but Tommy and JY as well — where people have taken sides and spewed that vitriol on us as a group. It's just wrong, it's counterproductive, and I think it hurts our legacy, which, to me, is the most important thing. Because I didn't do this thing to be a flash in the pan; I did this thing to create something that will live longer than myself, and I think we've done that. But a lot of damage has been done to our fanbase, and I regret it and I've apologized to them. And a lot of times when I hear people saying these things, bad about my former bandmates, I don't want 'em to feel that way; I don't want 'em to feel that way about me. Heck, we did this together, so the fact that 'Roboto' was resurrected, I'm happy from this one point of view: the song was different, but it was good. Millions of people liked it, millions of people still like it, and I don't think we should apologize for that."
StyxGuy
LP

Re: Dennis was 'shocked' Styx decided to play Mr. Roboto

Postby Monker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:32 pm

StyxGuy wrote:http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dennis-deyoung-says-he-was-thoroughly-and-totally-shocked-by-styxs-decision-to-bring-back-mr-roboto/

"The only thing that saddens me — not the only thing, but the thing that saddens me the most — is to read from time to time the comments about all of us — not just me, but Tommy and JY as well — where people have taken sides and spewed that vitriol on us as a group. It's just wrong, it's counterproductive, and I think it hurts our legacy, which, to me, is the most important thing. Because I didn't do this thing to be a flash in the pan; I did this thing to create something that will live longer than myself, and I think we've done that. But a lot of damage has been done to our fanbase, and I regret it and I've apologized to them. And a lot of times when I hear people saying these things, bad about my former bandmates, I don't want 'em to feel that way; I don't want 'em to feel that way about me. Heck, we did this together, so the fact that 'Roboto' was resurrected, I'm happy from this one point of view: the song was different, but it was good. Millions of people liked it, millions of people still like it, and I don't think we should apologize for that."

Good quote there from Dennis...and I agree with him.

Back in the Cyclorama days, I remember making several posts saying when people attack the current Styx, or members of the current Styx...that they are attacking all of Styx, and hurting Styx as a whole. How can you call yourself a Styx fan and attack Tommy and/or JY? It's a contradiction, IMO. And, to separate it out into "Tommy songs" and "JY songs" and "Dennis songs" and "??? songs" is also wrong...they are STYX songs...as is Cyclorama, and "The Mission". You may not like them, or be critical of whatever - but they ARE Styx songs. To insult and belittle the band by calling them "Stynx" or "Carrot Styx" or Gowan is in the "Lollipop Guild", or whatever...also hurts Styx as a whole. Dennis is absolutely right in that point.

But, he is absolutely in the wrong when he made the bathwater comment. That was even worse than attacking the band or its members - he was attacking FANS. And, I've never read an apology for that.

As for Roboto...I've stayed out of it. I just don't care. Styx is free to play any song from their catalog that they choose. It's their right. Saying they are 'hypocrites' or whatever is just so petty and insignificant that I just don't care. A lot of fans WANTED to hear it...and Styx gave them something they wanted to hear. IMO, it's as simple as that. So, play "Babe", or hell, play "Music Time"....it's the BAND's choice, not mine.
Monker
MP3

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:24 pm

He made a mistake by generalizing, but we all know that it’s partally true. There are fans that would do worse than that. People can be f’n crazy.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:53 am

Monker wrote:
StyxGuy wrote:http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dennis-deyoung-says-he-was-thoroughly-and-totally-shocked-by-styxs-decision-to-bring-back-mr-roboto/

Good quote there from Dennis...and I agree with him.

Back in the Cyclorama days, I remember making several posts saying when people attack the current Styx, or members of the current Styx...that they are attacking all of Styx, and hurting Styx as a whole. How can you call yourself a Styx fan and attack Tommy and/or JY? It's a contradiction, IMO. And, to separate it out into "Tommy songs" and "JY songs" and "Dennis songs" and "??? songs" is also wrong...they are STYX songs...as is Cyclorama, and "The Mission". You may not like them, or be critical of whatever - but they ARE Styx songs. To insult and belittle the band by calling them "Stynx" or "Carrot Styx" or Gowan is in the "Lollipop Guild", or whatever...also hurts Styx as a whole. Dennis is absolutely right in that point.

But, he is absolutely in the wrong when he made the bathwater comment. That was even worse than attacking the band or its members - he was attacking FANS. And, I've never read an apology for that.

Oh cry me a fucking river. You're upset about that but you give JY and Tommy a pass for their constant berating of Dennis and his direction and Babe and Roboto and ballads and Broadway, etc.? Give me a break.

You're just upset that he basically called you out. You're as big of a bathwater drinker as anyone.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:15 am

I see Toph is still getting all bent out of shape over the career choices of complete strangers.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:37 am

Archetype wrote:I see Toph is still getting all bent out of shape over the career choices of complete strangers.

Hey Christopher,you're walking the plank.
It'll do you good, just go for a wank. 8) :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:14 am

Archetype wrote:I see Toph is still getting all bent out of shape over the career choices of complete strangers.

Come on now, they aren't complete strangers to Toph. Remember he has a "source" inside the DDY camp. 8)
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:54 am

Boomchild wrote:

Come on now, they aren't complete strangers to Toph. Remember he has a "source" inside the DDY camp. 8)

He did sell him toupee insurance once!
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:37 am

Archetype wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

He did sell him toupee insurance once!

And sold JY face lift insurance as well.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:22 am

Boomer you are such a fucking two faced loser. You try to play both sides and it just really makes you look like the tool you are. Archetype, great, and monkey boy are just bathwater drinkers. You, on the other hand, have no clue what you believe in. You're quite pathetic.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 am

Toph wrote:Boomer you are such a fucking two faced loser. You try to play both sides and it just really makes you look like the tool you are. Archetype, great, and monkey boy are just bathwater drinkers. You, on the other hand, have no clue what you believe in. You're quite pathetic.

“Fucking two faced loser”
“Tool”
“Bathwater drinkers”
“You’re quite pathetic”

Remarks all made over the career decisions of complete strangers. Seek professional help before you become the next Nathan Gale, dude.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby StyxGuy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:11 am

In terms of this "bathwater" comment by Dennis... I kind of understand it (based on the fact that this was an interview from 2000?_

http://www.melodicrock.com/interviews/d ... young.html

Melodic Rock: What do you think will happen to the band next? I get the impression they will try and record with this current touring lineup.

Dennis DeYoung:Well I guess that's where some gauntlets are going to be thrown down.
You know what I mean. The thing that is most disturbing is it's clear to me they never really ever understood what Styx was to their fans. Other than getting on the web and dealing with a small amount of people who'll click on and basically drink your bath water if you want them too.
If you look at a tour when 3 or 400,000 people come to see you or if you're able to sell 400,000 or 500,000 albums the people that go to that web site regularly comprise maybe 5,000 of those people. So you can't keep preaching to the choir thinking that it's the whole congregation. It is not.

He's pretty much stating (at that time) that the internet is only going to connect so many fans. The hardcore fans (fans who love you no matter what... the the point of drinking your bathwater) are the only ones visiting the website, it isn't huge exposure.
Obviously even 5 years later, the internet was FAR different and more accessible to a wider audience, the comment pretty much loses value.

It's not much of an insult in the context of time, I believe....
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:41 am

Toph wrote:Boomer you are such a fucking two faced loser. You try to play both sides and it just really makes you look like the tool you are. Archetype, great, and monkey boy are just bathwater drinkers. You, on the other hand, have no clue what you believe in. You're quite pathetic.

Mmmm... no. I think my opinion on things is clear. Which is all of these guys have faults and all of them contributed to the problems they had working together. BTW, how's the insurance business?
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Boomchild wrote:

Mmmm... no. I think my opinion on things is clear. Which is all of these guys have faults and all of them contributed to the problems they had working together. BTW, how's the insurance business?
I wouldn't know. Tell us, what do you do?
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:57 pm

Toph wrote:
I wouldn't know. Tell us, what do you do?

So now your going to deny your own post where you stated that you work in the insurance business. Still going with your LARP story that you work in the music business huh?

Toph wrote:Hi all..wanted to introduce myself. My name is Toph (short for Christopher) and I have been a Styx fan for a long time. I live in Central Florida (Titusville) and work in insurance. Not married yet, but have a younger brother. I just found Melodic rock and joined the few boards of bands that I really like. Don't see one for Fleetwood Mac though - I am a huge fan - even like Stevie Nicks solo efforts. The Wild Heart album is really under-rated. Favorite Styx album is probably Paradise Theatre.

The jig is up the news is out, we finally found you.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Nice changing the subject. Tell us, what is your occupation, buddy?
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby masque » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:10 pm

masque
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Head HS baseball coach in TX- Above is my older brother watching Wedding Crashers for the 13th time.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Toph wrote:Nice changing the subject. Tell us, what is your occupation, buddy?

The subject of this forum and thread isn't what my occupation is. This forum and thread is about Styx. It is you that is deflecting. It is you that told everyone here you work in "the music business". It is you that claimed to have personal knowledge via a "inside contact" with DDY. Both of which we all know is a lie. Your own previous admission of what your occupation is proves you wrong. It isn't me trying to use my occupation to assert I have some kind of special knowledge about the band and it's current or former members. To answer your question my occupation is none of your business.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:22 pm

masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Boomchild wrote:

The subject of this forum and thread isn't what my occupation is. This forum and thread is about Styx. It is you that is deflecting. It is you that told everyone here you work in "the music business". It is you that claimed to have personal knowledge via a "inside contact" with DDY. Both of which we all know is a lie. Your own previous admission of what your occupation is proves you wrong. It isn't me trying to use my occupation to assert I have some kind of special knowledge about the band and it's current or former members. To answer your question my occupation is none of your business.

Who is deflecting now? Yep. I sell insurance. Yep, that's it. You've figured me out Boom. I got some great term life for you. Or maybe you'd like a good dental plan?

Because goodness knows, I'd never make up my occupation. Or my location. Or my name....
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 pm

masque wrote:Image

Masque...Boom's ass needs filling. He'll be calling you later...
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:52 am

Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

Who is deflecting now? Yep. I sell insurance. Yep, that's it. You've figured me out Boom. I got some great term life for you. Or maybe you'd like a good dental plan?

Because goodness knows, I'd never make up my occupation. Or my location. Or my name....

So you’re saying you do make things up?
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:00 am

Toph wrote:

So let me get this straight. We are now supposed to believe that you made up that you work in insurance but really work in the music business? How spineless of you.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:02 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:

So let me get this straight. We are now supposed to believe that you made up that you work in insurance but really work in the music business? How spineless of you. Thanks for letting us know that we shouldn't take anything you say seriously.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 am

Maybe Toph has sold DDY his dental plan, or maybe Toph is the guy who’s the carrier for one of the roadies, techs etc...

95% chance he’s full of complete shi . , but I know my State Farm agent in my small town knows everything about everybody. He’s got a piece of everything and is loaded.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:53 am

yogi wrote:Maybe Toph has sold DDY his dental plan, or maybe Toph is the guy who’s the carrier for one of the roadies, techs etc...

95% chance he’s full of complete shi . , but I know my State Farm agent in my small town knows everything about everybody. He’s got a piece of everything and is loaded.

Well, Toph is now claiming his statement that he works in the insurance business was a lie.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am

I actually think he does have some connections with DDY. The only reason I say this was after he sold a buddy of mine his flood insurance , he was going to sell some guy ‘ Yaz’ a policy similar to the one he sold my friend. If you look at the album sleeve of The Grand Illusion DDY thanks ‘ Yaz’ for his motorcycle stunts.

It may be a stretch, but I kind of believe Toph.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:47 am

Let me ask you one question. Do any of you all use your real names on here? Boom child, Masque, yogi, Styxfan, ChicagoStyx....I don't think so. If I wanted to get an idea of what the fans thought, should I come in here and say I work in the music business?

You're naivety is laughable....
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:47 am

Boomchild wrote:
yogi wrote:Maybe Toph has sold DDY his dental plan, or maybe Toph is the guy who’s the carrier for one of the roadies, techs etc...

Well, Toph is now claiming his statement that he works in the insurance business was a lie.

And I'm claiming about everything you say on here is a lie, fat boy.
Toph
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Styx