PREACHING TO THE CHIOR

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

PREACHING TO THE CHIOR

Postby yogi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:15 am

Yesterday I had to take my daughter to Dallas. On the way back I started playing the Mission CD. After the Greater Good played she said 'that Styx is OK but do you have any of their really good CDS'? She dug thru my center console and found my Styx Greatest Hits CD. I had not played it for years. Too Much Time On My Hands and Roboto skipped some, but DAMN thats a AWESOME CD. They were fuc .ing GREAT!

How they are not in the R&R Hall of Fame is a crime. What a variety of GREAT GREAT songs, with their albums being even BETTER!!

PSS- Does anyone know how many copies of their Greatest Hits album have been sold?
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: PREACHING TO THE CHIOR

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:51 pm

Styx Greatest Hits was the first Styx CD (and really, the first album) I ever purchased!

It was certified Gold (500,000 copies) in 1998, Platinum (1 Million) in 2000 and 2x Platinum in 2005

Interestingly enough, the 1995 package was not the first Greatest Hits. In 1992, a Greatest Hits was released by A&M in Canada (it went Platinum in Canada which is 100,00 copies)
https://www.discogs.com/Styx-Greatest-H ... se/5570671

I'd love to get my hands on the Styx Radio Made Hits 1975-1991, it was a promo sampler, looks like copies are for sale :)

Also... Styx should consider re-certifying their albums to get new number counts :P
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Toph » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:02 pm

Actually the first Greatest Hits is the A&M Classics (Vol 15) which was part of an A&M anniversary series. Its the purple album and was certified gold. Greatest Hits ('95) is well over 3x platinum now and vastly oversold the double CD set "Gold" which was released about 10+ years ago. The biggest crime on that one was to leave DLIE off. DDY had nothing to do with that one.

But yes, Greatest Hits ('95) is by far and away their best and most successful greatest hits package. The one nit I have is that Rockin' The Paradise should be on it as well. The fact that it is not is a major crime. Other minor nits would be that there are some top 40 hits that didn't make it (but eventually made it on GH2 except for "Why Me" and "Music Time").
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Well technically, Classics wasn't the first one :P Best Of Styx [1977] would be their very first compilation album with Lady [1980] as their second (also know as Lady.. The Encore Collection on CD)

I was more focusing on the actual title of Greatest Hits in terms of 'what came first' :P
StyxGuy
LP

Postby yogi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:09 pm

On Greatest Hits Vol 2 they should of included Why Me and Music Time since they both did chart. I also would of included Love Is the Ritual. It might of been Motley Styx, but where I was at the time Beaumont,TX it got a ton of play from the 2 Houston Rock stations and it charted in the top 10 of Billboards Hard Rock Category. Introduced Styx fans to the 'new Tommy Shaw'
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:50 pm

yogi wrote:On Greatest Hits Vol 2 they should of included Why Me and Music Time since they both did chart. I also would of included Love Is the Ritual. It might of been Motley Styx, but where I was at the time Beaumont,TX it got a ton of play from the 2 Houston Rock stations and it charted in the top 10 of Billboards Hard Rock Category. Introduced Styx fans to the 'new Tommy Shaw'

The funny thing for me about LITR is that at the time I was unaware the Styx had gotten back together and were releasing a new album. I remember the DJ on our local rock station announce "here's a brand new song from Styx". I was like really?? Then when the vocal started I was like who the hell is that singing?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:04 am

Boomchild wrote:
yogi wrote:On Greatest Hits Vol 2 they should of included Why Me and Music Time since they both did chart. I also would of included Love Is the Ritual. It might of been Motley Styx, but where I was at the time Beaumont,TX it got a ton of play from the 2 Houston Rock stations and it charted in the top 10 of Billboards Hard Rock Category. Introduced Styx fans to the 'new Tommy Shaw'

The funny thing for me about LITR is that at the time I was unaware the Styx had gotten back together and were releasing a new album. I remember the DJ on our local rock station announce "here's a brand new song from Styx". I was like really?? Then when the vocal started I was like who the hell is that singing?

And the music videos from Edge :D

Love is the Ritual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLNsv72ogQ8
Love at first sight: https://youtu.be/l6oUbKRok6o
Show me the way: https://youtu.be/LsYvuxmzxX4
StyxGuy
LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:16 am

I knew about Edge because Damn Yanks were on Rockline. A caller asked about a new Styx album and Tommy said there was one coming but he wanted them to get the hype for it and let them give out the info. A few weeks later all 5 members of Styx were on Rockline and it's a great interview. I think I have it on cassette somewhere.

Since there were no online boards I used to get a bi-monthly newsletter called 976-STYX. Was pretty cool, would come in the mail with the latest news. Kind of miss those days.

I already knew who Glen was at the time because I had Heroes & Zeroes.

Yeah, GH is pretty solid. I actually prefer Lady 95 over the original.
Last edited by FormerDJMike on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:05 pm

Styx GH was one of the first albums I ever owned. I got it when I was 12 or 13.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby StyxGuy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:58 am

Archetype wrote:Styx GH was one of the first albums I ever owned. I got it when I was 12 or 13.

I probably bought my copy in 1998, maybe late 1997. Would have been 14-15 at the time :)
StyxGuy
LP

Postby gr8dane » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:04 pm

StyxGuy wrote:
Archetype wrote:Styx GH was one of the first albums I ever owned. I got it when I was 12 or 13.

I probably bought my copy in 1998, maybe late 1997. Would have been 14-15 at the time :)

LOL or yikes.
I bought Equinox when that came out.Would have been 14-15 at the time. :)
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 am

FormerDJMike wrote:I knew about Edge because Damn Yanks were on Rockline. A caller asked about a new Styx album and Tommy said there was one coming but he wanted them to get the hype for it and let them give out the info. A few weeks later all 5 members of Styx were on Rockline and it's a great interview. I think I have it on cassette somewhere.

Since there were no online boards I used to get a bi-monthly newsletter called 976-STYX. Was pretty cool, would come in the mail with the latest news. Kind of miss those days.

Actually, there were online forums back then, as far back as 1991 or so. The largest community was on Prodigy, the most active was on GEnie (General Electric's online service). AOL also had music forums...but I never saw much for Styx. Prodigy had both Donna Lettow (from 976-Styx) and Micky Jorgensen (from Yankee Pride, the DY fan mag). Micky is pretty cool...we were in communication for a long time. She is a professional photographer and sent me a whole of DY pics from concerts in MN, where she is from. She is one person who actually did know the band. Oh, yeah, and Glen made some posts on Prodigy but stirred up a hornets nest because people didn't believe it was him.

They were absolutely crazy busy forums back then. At times, they had more than a hundred messages per day...much busier than the Journey forums that existed. There was a lot of soap opera type stuff that went on back then, too. But, there were no blatant trolls like Toph, either.

It was a fun time, back then. At that time, I did travel around and met a few Styx fans, saw a DY concert with some.
Monker
MP3

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Monker wrote:
FormerDJMike wrote:I knew about Edge because Damn Yanks were on Rockline. A caller asked about a new Styx album and Tommy said there was one coming but he wanted them to get the hype for it and let them give out the info. A few weeks later all 5 members of Styx were on Rockline and it's a great interview. I think I have it on cassette somewhere.

Actually, there were online forums back then, as far back as 1991 or so. The largest community was on Prodigy, the most active was on GEnie (General Electric's online service). AOL also had music forums...but I never saw much for Styx. Prodigy had both Donna Lettow (from 976-Styx) and Micky Jorgensen (from Yankee Pride, the DY fan mag). Micky is pretty cool...we were in communication for a long time. She is a professional photographer and sent me a whole of DY pics from concerts in MN, where she is from. She is one person who actually did know the band. Oh, yeah, and Glen made some posts on Prodigy but stirred up a hornets nest because people didn't believe it was him.

They were absolutely crazy busy forums back then. At times, they had more than a hundred messages per day...much busier than the Journey forums that existed. There was a lot of soap opera type stuff that went on back then, too. But, there were no blatant trolls like Toph, either.

It was a fun time, back then. At that time, I did travel around and met a few Styx fans, saw a DY concert with some.

Yeah I was on the Indra mailing list back in the early 90's. That's when Keith would post on there regularly (sorry, I forgot his last name at the moment!). I kept in touch with Donna and Micky as well and have no idea where either of them are today. I remember around 92 or 93 Donna was in town and stopped by my house. It's around the time CITA was released on CD because I had just bought it and she hadn't seen it yet.

I kind of miss the old days of the newsletters, those were a lot of fun as were the letters JY used to send out. I used to have them all saved but ended up misplacing them in one of my many moves to several states. Good memories of those days!
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Return to Styx