Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

PO8 snippet on Red Beard

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:29 pm

FormerDJMike
8 Track

Re: PO8 snippet on Red Beard

Postby masque » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:17 pm

cool! Looking forward to this. POE is one of my all time favorite albums, regardless of artist.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:50 am

Redbeard's stuff is great :) Listen to it a lot.

All of his Styx related interview shows here - http://www.inthestudio.net/?s=Styx

His management once contacted me and ended up sending me the Styx box set when they had done a contest for one but wasn't the winner. Turned out that Redbeard knew I was a big Styx fan, so he had Universal Music send me a copy! :D
StyxGuy
LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 am

That's awesome! I entered that contest and really wanted to win. At the time I was replacing my Styx vinyl and that box set would've come in handy! Ended up buying them individually.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:23 am

Here's a transcript from the original airing of the POE show in 1991 (the one about to release might not have all of the same interview snippets)

http://www.racerrecords.com/Styx/Int.ITS.POE.html

"JY: The transition in our music from Pieces of Eight to Cornerstone was one that didn't sit really that well with me. But Dennis was the creative leader of the band at the time and it was really his voice and his writing that had given us our hit records to that stage. And I was vocal in some ways about the way I felt this was maybe not the right thing for us to do, because I had felt we would reach our first peak when we had a hard rock song that was actually a hit, which "Renegade" and to some degree "Blue Collar Man" as well gave us that. I was very concerned about "Babe" because I was very scared that "Babe" would alienate the audience that we had built. And of course it didn't do that; it took this band to a new level, and indeed 1979 was the year, and I'm sure partly as a result of "Babe" and partly as a result of our career history up to that point, we were voted #1 rock band in America in a Gallup poll. "
StyxGuy
LP

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 am

StyxGuy
LP

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:58 am

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! Thank you sooo much for posting this.

Questions???: Were they on a 'conference type call'(Tommy,JY with Dennis and Red Beard)?? If so, they had some really decent interaction. If so again Dennis sure seemed to take the lead but in a real positive way. JY had alot of insight but not much from Tommy I thought Dennis and JY had a good laugh about the Hammond Organ and Dennis with Tommy on 'stealing cars' on the final Blue Collar Man segment (NOT from Big Bang Theory). That GREAT GREAT rendition Tommy does of Blue Collar Man is from his now released solo disc with the CYO. Also I wonder what Dennis thought of Red Beard using Gowan's live Queen of Spades rendition.

Dennis singing Pieces of Eight is going to lead me to purchasing Pieces of Eight again in a minute off of Amazon.

Great listen, Thanks again for posting!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:26 am

yogi wrote:ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! Thank you sooo much for posting this.

Questions???: Were they on a 'conference type call'(Tommy,JY with Dennis and Red Beard)?? If so, they had some really decent interaction. If so again Dennis sure seemed to take the lead but in a real positive way. JY had alot of insight but not much from Tommy I thought Dennis and JY had a good laugh about the Hammond Organ and Dennis with Tommy on 'stealing cars' on the final Blue Collar Man segment (NOT from Big Bang Theory). That GREAT GREAT rendition Tommy does of Blue Collar Man is from his now released solo disc with the CYO. Also I wonder what Dennis thought of Red Beard using Gowan's live Queen of Spades rendition.

Dennis singing Pieces of Eight is going to lead me to purchasing Pieces of Eight again in a minute off of Amazon.

Great listen, Thanks again for posting!!

The interviews are from various time periods that are woven together to make a show. So the interviews where Dennis and JY seem to be speaking together are probably from the early 80s or 90s.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:31 am

Damn that sucks. Still it’s a great listen!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Yep, a lot of the comments by them are made from previous interviews.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Return to Styx