New Dennis note on Facebook

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

New Dennis note on Facebook

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:44 pm

Seems like he’s coming to terms with the fact that he most likely won’t be in Styx again.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4839630509
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Re: New Dennis note on Facebook

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:33 pm

Great post by DDY here. It's stuff like this that really wants me to see DDY write autobiography. Goodbye to Roseland is my favorite song off BNW.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:22 pm

Damn. Roseland is by far my favorite Styx song off BNW. It's actually the only Dennis led song I like off that album. So be it because its a classic and it makes the album.

With that said its hard for me to believe that grown men in their 60's and 70's cant make amends.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby masque » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:02 pm

goodbye to roseland is one of my all time favorite styx songs and certainly one of my top DDY songs.

in fact, I think it is so emotional that over the last few years as my family have lost loved ones, I have been the one in charge of creating the video DVD of pictures that plays at the funeral home.

roseland is always the lead song in any video I play.....I sync up pics that go along with the lyrics and it is usually so emotional that it brings people to their knees. I bet I've had 75 people come up to me and ask where I found that song and how awesome the video always is.

so it warms my heart to know where that song came from and what DDY was thinking when he wrote it, because it provides great emotion and a special longing for our families when we hear it while looking at pictures of lost loved ones.

that song will always be one of the most special in my life!
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:06 am

I was 15 in June of 1999 and I can remember going to the HMV on the release day to pick up a copy of BNW. It was SO exciting to know that this band I had only discovered a couple of years earlier was making new music (potential tour, oh boy I can see them live!)

Goodbye to Roseland was one of my favourite songs on that album too, also High Crimes & Misdemeanors.. hip hop!
StyxGuy
LP

Postby masque » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:01 am

brave new world is a weird album for me, for many reasons.

it feels very disjointed, probably for the reasons DDY has pointed out. I think the best songs on it, with the exception of GTR, are TS and JY songs......I think other that GTR, this album contains the weakest songs DDY has ever composed, since the wooden nickel days, perhaps ever in his career. outside of GTR< most of his songs, barely sound good enough to have made one of his solo albums, much less a styx album.

now with that said, even though I think TS has some great stuff on the album, it also contains two of his worst songs ever in "best new face" and "just fell in". wow, just really bad stuff.

i think the album would have been MUCH better served if there about 10 songs on it, instead of 14. that alone would have helped alot. But also, asking DDY to go back to the drawing board on most of his stuff would have also helped alot.

i can listen to the album and enjoy it because of the songs I like and also because it always seems sort of new to me, because I have not listened to it 10,000 times. but overall, it was a missed opportunity to go from being a good album that could have been great.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:02 am

The album should of been: In Order
Witness
Brave New World
Everything Is Cool
Fallen Angel
Heavy Water
Number One
What Have They Done For You
Goodbye To Roseland
Reprise

The rest blew 'Chunks'
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:48 am

Kinda sad actually. Realization usually is.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Return to Styx