Texxas Jam 1983 Question

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Texxas Jam 1983 Question

Postby cinj » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:35 pm

First time posting in a VERY LONG TIME, but had a burning question.....

So, has anyone else noticed that the “outdoor concert pic” on one of the album sleeves for The “Caught in the Act” album is actually from the Dallas Show that was supposedly a “nightmare” according to the BTM documentary?

Fans don’t look too rowdy to me.

Of course the pic is from the pre concert movie.

Sorry if this has been discussed. I’ve been gone for about a decade!

Cinj
cinj
Ol' 78

Re: Texxas Jam 1983 Question

Postby yogi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm

I thought Caught In The Act Video & Concert ( double album)was filmed at the Sanger Theater in New Orleans.

The Texas Jamm was in Dallas @ The Cotten Bowl

I did not ever notice the sleeve or picture on the albums. But the Jamm in Dallas was in no way a nightmare.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby yogi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Boy you may be 100% correct and I may be on the sleeve that holds Album 2. I swear I’ve never noticed that.

That sure looks like the Cotton Bowl infield. I was over by the right side probably about even with the d in Budweiser. It was really hard to see the screen from where we were standing. It wasn’t rowdy at all once the sun went down. Earlier in the day was when all the craziness was happening and people got really pissed when the beer sales were cut off. But like I’ve always said EVERYONE around us and as far up as I could see loved the show. Many were mesmerized caused they didn’t have a clue they were about to see something so well done.

That photo is from the Jamm. I’m sure of it.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:36 pm

I suppose Sammy Hagar and Ted Nugent are lying too:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-h ... x-breakup/

Sammy Hagar and Ted Nugent say they had a direct hand in Styx's early '80s breakup, after allegedly blowing the band off the stage with a raucous opening performance.

Seems Hagar was performing before Styx (we're guessing this was at the 1983 Dallas Texxas Jam), just before the group initially went their separate ways in 1984, when Nugent joined him for an encore song that convinced Tommy Shaw to leave. Hagar was doing a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" when Nugent made a memorable entrance.

"Not only did I blow up the Trans Am on stage, and smash my guitar into the speakers and blow my speakers up," Hagar says in an upcoming edition of his radio program, "but Ted Nugent comes jumping over the drum riser, lands on the ground and we go into that for an encore. And it's like, 'Styx will be right out, ladies and gentlemen,'" Hagar adds, laughing uproariously.

Nugent takes up the story, saying that "by the time they hit the stage, 60 percent of the audience went, 'I don't want to ruin this high I just got on.'" The headliners finally emerged, performing a then-current hit. "And then Styx," Hagar adds, "came out with 'Mr. Roboto.'" Hagar says Tommy Shaw "told me straight up, 'I quit the band after that.'"

In fact, frustrated by the band's creative direction, Shaw was out of Styx until 1995, a period that saw him co-found Damn Yankees with Nugent. "Phenomenal band," Nugent enthuses.

Hagar seems to take some small amount of pride in how it all unfolded. "We actually broke Styx up," he marvels, in a preview clip courtesy of Scorch, Mikey and Russ. "They tried to follow us," Nugent adds.

The only thing Sammy and Ted don't immediately agree about is just how far Nugent leapt as he went over the drums. Nugent puts it at 26 feet. Hagar, on the other hand, says "it was at least 20 feet." Either way, Nugent quips, "that's why I've had both of my knees replaced."
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:18 pm

A lot of people did leave. But the majority left before Styx ever came on stage. In any era Styx was never Nugent or Hagar or Triumph for that matter ( Rock & Roll Machine). If I remember correctly and it was 35+ years ago Rik Emmett also joined Sammys band and Ted on stage for that encore.

The Kilroy show after the video & Roboto was a greatest hits show like every show. They played Blue Collar Man, Renegade, Miss America etc... Believe it or not I think they even skipped Babe and Lady at that show. People left no doubt but they also did the year prior before Journey( headliner) came out.

One other thing that hurt Styx that night was they took too long after Sammys set to take the stage. Maybe it was the blown speaker who knows. I never knew the attendance for either of the Jams I attended. In both there were far less for the headliner than there was for the two bands that came on before them. I noticed that then. It was hot as hell and it was the end of a long long fun as hell day.

On a side note and again I may be 100% wrong but the following year I couldn’t go to the Jam. I think I was having knee surgery. I had it in Ft. Worth but I remember reading in the Dallas Morning News that they were going to no longer allow beer sales at The Texas Jamm. I’m sure that Styx headlining Jam May have caused this.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:28 pm

cinj wrote:First time posting in a VERY LONG TIME, but had a burning question.....

So, has anyone else noticed that the “outdoor concert pic” on one of the album sleeves for The “Caught in the Act” album is actually from the Dallas Show that was supposedly a “nightmare” according to the BTM documentary?

Cinj

Very interesting!

Can you post a picture from the album sleeve? I'm having trouble posting pictures, I can't size them on my laptop.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:04 am

It’s been 35+ years but I’m about 70 - 75% sure that the albums very large album sleeve picture that holds album sides 3&4 is from the Texas Jam.

We were over on the right side of the stage about where the d of Budweiser sign is. If I was guessing about 50 rows back on the infield. We couldn’t see the huge screen that was on top of the stage. A lot of people moved back then forward to see the screen when the movie was playing. I had already seen the Kilroy Was Here show twice so I stayed where I was and just listened. I had not thought about that in forever. No way can I describe how packed it was on that infield. This was for all the shows.

I can’t remember all the acts including some good local bands early but it was so hot either Saga or Uriah Heep had a hose up on stage. They came on around 4 and they sprayed the people up front. Anyway getting back to the concert picture sleeve. I had never seen that until last night. I actually don’t know if I ever played my Caught In the Act albums. I found it last night. The plastic was off but I had never seen that concert picture or some of the others. When I bought that I’m sure I also bought the Caught In The Act Video & CD along with it. I played the CD often, hated Music Time and thought at the time Styx was going somewhat techno. Watched the video but never played the albums. That is why I have never seen that picture.

I really think it’s from the lied about show @ The Cotton Bowl in TX. Damn it was a blast and Styx was on fire that night!!! Im very confident in saying that the 30,000- 50,000 people that didn’t leave PRIOR to them taking the stage loved the show!!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:36 am

yogi wrote:A lot of people did leave. But the majority left before Styx ever came on stage. In any era Styx was never Nugent or Hagar or Triumph for that matter ( Rock & Roll Machine). If I remember correctly and it was 35+ years ago Rik Emmett also joined Sammys band and Ted on stage for that encore.

The Kilroy show after the video & Roboto was a greatest hits show like every show. They played Blue Collar Man, Renegade, Miss America etc... Believe it or not I think they even skipped Babe and Lady at that show. People left no doubt but they also did the year prior before Journey( headliner) came out.

One other thing that hurt Styx that night was they took too long after Sammys set to take the stage. Maybe it was the blown speaker who knows. I never knew the attendance for either of the Jams I attended. In both there were far less for the headliner than there was for the two bands that came on before them. I noticed that then. It was hot as hell and it was the end of a long long fun as hell day.

On a side note and again I may be 100% wrong but the following year I couldn’t go to the Jam. I think I was having knee surgery. I had it in Ft. Worth but I remember reading in the Dallas Morning News that they were going to no longer allow beer sales at The Texas Jamm. I’m sure that Styx headlining Jam May have caused this.

I was looking for pictures of the show and there were a lot of pictures of Sammy jamming with Rik Emmett and Ted Nugent on stage. I also read that Sammy's guitar was stolen but recovered for the next show.

I read on another forum about the beer and the heat and the same thing you mentioned about the blown speaker.

I wish there were more Styx pictures from that concert, there's a bunch of Sammy.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby cinj » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:00 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
cinj wrote:First time posting in a VERY LONG TIME, but had a burning question.....

Cinj

Very interesting!

Can you post a picture from the album sleeve? I'm having trouble posting pictures, I can't size them on my laptop.

Do a google image search for something like “Styx caught in the act album sleeve”. You may have to scroll a bit, but you’ll get to it eventually. The logos around the stadium match the pictures that day which is why you know it’s Dallas. Sadly, I can’t find any pictures online of that show when Styx performed. Only Hagar and Nugent.

Cinj
cinj
Ol' 78

Postby yogi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:22 am

Styx was the headline act. They performed last. It took them a very long time after Hagar to set up and take the stage. It was late. I’ll bet the papers covering the show were gone by then. The year before Journey was the headline act. I was at that one too. I was at both the 82&83 Texas Jamms

Hagar was the band before Styx. 2 or 3 or 3 or 4 of the guys I went with left after Hagar because everyone was told over the PA that beer sales were ceasing. They went to their truck for more beer & never returned. The vast vast majority of the people that left after Hagar left before Styx ever took the stage. It was mid to late June and unbelievably hot like it was the prior year.

Thanks a lot for sharing that. I had never seen that album sleeve even though I had that album from the day it was released close to 40 years ago. I spent a lot of time last night trying to find me or my friends on that photo. Where we were standing on the infield right by the d in Budweiser about 40-50 rows ( not really rows) back you could not see the screen for the movie. I totally forgot about that. Screens at concerts were in their infancy back then. I have no idea at the Journey TX Jam the year before if they had a video screen. The first time I had ever seen a video screen at any concert was when I saw Styx earlier doing a Kilroy Was Here show. It was in a much smaller venue and we just watched the Kilroy movie that starts the show.

Thanks again. It’s a great question and I’m at least 75% sure that the album sleeve is from the Texas Jamm and the TOTALLY lied about concert @ The Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

PS and I’ve been lying all these years to friends & family and I’ll never admit this but the year before at the Jam for some reason I think Santana played before headliner Journey not Hagar that I think had been reported. Neal Schon player in both shows. I kind of remember that. I honestly didn’t even know who he was. I knew his name that was it. It was prior to the internet anyway some drunk guy near us was saying that Neal was up on stage. The group I was with ( Baseball players from Paris Junior College & about 8 or 9 high school or JC girls we were friends with) left midway thru or towards the end of Santana. Most of us didn’t like Santana. We were hot and tired as hell so we left and drove back to Paris. A lot I mean a ton of people left during and after Santana. When we found our vehicles we stayed and partied for a while before we left the parking lot to drive home.To me it was hotter @ the Cotton Bowl in 82 than it was in 83. I’ve been lying all these years cause I’ve always told people that I saw Journey when I really didn’t. I think they were still performing their Escape show for the Jam. I’ll never know. That’s the only time I would have seen Journey. Saw Steve Perry solo years later in San Antonio on his Strange Medicine Tour. Have always been mad we all left and have lied about it til now.

PSS- One other thing I remember and I’m sure of, is that Styx did not play Babe at The Jam. I wonder now if Tommy was scared or something and refused to play it. I know they didn’t play it because this girl that went with us wasn’t a huge Styx fan but loved that song. She bitched about this for years. I don’t think they played Lady either but I’m not sure if they ever did in the Kilroy shows. I know they played Babe at them but they didn’t this night @ the Jam. Now I wonder or know why?? Tommy probably refused.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:32 am

cinj wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:

Cinj

Very interesting!

Do a google image search for something like “Styx caught in the act album sleeve”. You may have to scroll a bit, but you’ll get to it eventually. The logos around the stadium match the pictures that day which is why you know it’s Dallas. Sadly, I can’t find any pictures online of that show when Styx performed. Only Hagar and Nugent.

Cinj

I have the album and saw the pictures. I was hoping to post them on here. I can't find any pictures of the Styx part either. Just Hagar and Nugent like you found too.

I was hoping to find the pictures on this site of Styx, but there weren't either and not of Triumph. However, I was happy to see Rik Emmett jamming in a few with Hagar and Nugent :) However, these were from the Houston Texxas Jam concert in 1983

https://www.rockinhouston.com/performer ... uston/601/
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 am

yogi wrote:Styx was the headline act. They performed last. It took them a very long time after Hagar to set up and take the stage. It was late. I’ll bet the papers covering the show were gone by then. The year before Journey was the headline act. I was at that one too. I was at both the 82&83 Texas Jamms

Hagar was the band before Styx. 2 or 3 or 3 or 4 of the guys I went with left after Hagar because everyone was told over the PA that beer sales were ceasing. They went to their truck for more beer & never returned. The vast vast majority of the people that left after Hagar left before Styx ever took the stage. It was mid to late June and unbelievably hot like it was the prior year.

Thanks a lot for sharing that. I had never seen that album sleeve even though I had that album from the day it was released close to 40 years ago. I spent a lot of time last night trying to find me or my friends on that photo. Where we were standing on the infield right by the d in Budweiser about 40-50 rows ( not really rows) back you could not see the screen for the movie. I totally forgot about that. Screens at concerts were in their infancy back then. I have no idea at the Journey TX Jam the year before if they had a video screen. The first time I had ever seen a video screen at any concert was when I saw Styx earlier doing a Kilroy Was Here show. It was in a much smaller venue and we just watched the Kilroy movie that starts the show.

Thanks again. It’s a great question and I’m at least 75% sure that the album sleeve is from the Texas Jamm and the TOTALLY lied about concert @ The Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

PS and I’ve been lying all these years to friends & family and I’ll never admit this but the year before at the Jam for some reason I think Santana played before headliner Journey not Hagar that I think had been reported. Neal Schon player in both shows. I kind of remember that. I honestly didn’t even know who he was. I knew his name that was it. It was prior to the internet anyway some drunk guy near us was saying that Neal was up on stage. The group I was with ( Baseball players from Paris Junior College & about 8 or 9 high school or JC girls we were friends with) left midway thru or towards the end of Santana. Most of us didn’t like Santana. We were hot and tired as hell so we left and drove back to Paris. A lot I mean a ton of people left during and after Santana. When we found our vehicles we stayed and partied for a while before we left the parking lot to drive home.To me it was hotter @ the Cotton Bowl in 82 than it was in 83. I’ve been lying all these years cause I’ve always told people that I saw Journey when I really didn’t. I think they were still performing their Escape show for the Jam. I’ll never know. That’s the only time I would have seen Journey. Saw Steve Perry solo years later in San Antonio on his Strange Medicine Tour. Have always been mad we all left and have lied about it til now.

PSS- One other thing I remember and I’m sure of, is that Styx did not play Babe at The Jam. I wonder now if Tommy was scared or something and refused to play it. I know they didn’t play it because this girl that went with us wasn’t a huge Styx fan but loved that song. She bitched about this for years. I don’t think they played Lady either but I’m not sure if they ever did in the Kilroy shows. I know they played Babe at them but they didn’t this night @ the Jam. Now I wonder or know why?? Tommy probably refused.

You're probably correct on the pictures for the paper. That's what happens at Summerfest in Milwaukee. They take a more of the opening bands and only a few of the headliner since they have to get the pictures in time for print. I'll keep looking during the week.

Bands:
Saturday, June 18, 1983
Sammy Hagar
Styx
Ted Nugent
Triumph
Uriah Heep

I found the setlist:
Styx - Kilroy Was Here Tour

June 18, 1983
Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas

Mr. Roboto
Rockin' the Paradise
Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
Snowblind
Too Much Time on My Hands
Don't Let It End
Cold War
The Best of Times
Miss America
Great Balls of Fire
(Jerry Lee Lewis cover)
Come Sail Away

Encore:
Renegade
Haven't We Been Here Before
Don't Let It End
Twist and Shout
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:53 am

There were quite a few more bands than that. Local and not so local club bands would open up around 11am.

You know I didn’t realize it til you posted their set list but they didn’t play Heavy Metal Poisoning either. That & Miss America are their heaviest songs. That song is also a real staple for that concept. I guess the big ‘rockers’ of the band didn’t want to do too much heavy stuff that night?? WOW !! Don’t remember that but I do remember besides Babe & Lady they also didn’t play Suite Madame Blue. That’s always been one of my favorites from my favorite Styx album. They also played Suite Madame Blue at the other 2 Kilroy shows that I saw.

I’d love to know why they cut their set down?? Especially why no Heavy Metal Poisoning? That is about as close to real heavy metal as anything outside of Midnight Ride Styx has ever done. Where Tommy & JY totally intimidated by the previous acts. If so they are two major puss...!! The Cotton Bowl is located on the grounds of the TX State Fair. The parking lots are huge. You are not having to park in neighborhoods outside of people’s homes. I highly doubt their was any sort of a curfew for the show. No homes or business are anywhere close. Back then, I don’t think shows had curfews anyway.

I also wonder, did they ever play High Time in their Kilroy set? As much as I HATED that song it fit the concept perfectly. It would of been the perfect song to fit the concept toward the back end of the concert. Also I think the Styx braintrust released High Time to radio. I can’t believe anyone in their right mind could think that song could be a hit.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby cinj » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:42 am

yogi wrote:There were quite a few more bands than that. Local and not so local club bands would open up around 11am.

You know I didn’t realize it til you posted their set list but they didn’t play Heavy Metal Poisoning either. That & Miss America are their heaviest songs. That song is also a real staple for that concept. I guess the big ‘rockers’ of the band didn’t want to do too much heavy stuff that night?? WOW !! Don’t remember that but I do remember besides Babe & Lady they also didn’t play Suite Madame Blue. That’s always been one of my favorites from my favorite Styx album. They also played Suite Madame Blue at the other 2 Kilroy shows that I saw.

I’d love to know why they cut their set down?? Especially why no Heavy Metal Poisoning? That is about as close to real heavy metal as anything outside of Midnight Ride Styx has ever done. Where Tommy & JY totally intimidated by the previous acts. If so they are two major puss...!! The Cotton Bowl is located on the grounds of the TX State Fair. The parking lots are huge. You are not having to park in neighborhoods outside of people’s homes. I highly doubt their was any sort of a curfew for the show. No homes or business are anywhere close. Back then, I don’t think shows had curfews anyway.

I also wonder, did they ever play High Time in their Kilroy set? As much as I HATED that song it fit the concept perfectly. It would of been the perfect song to fit the concept toward the back end of the concert. Also I think the Styx braintrust released High Time to radio. I can’t believe anyone in their right mind could think that song could be a hit.

I don’t think they actually “played” Heavy Metal Poisoning on that tour. THAT was the song where J.Y. ran around in his Dr.Righteous getup and “sang” the song over a pre-recorded track. They probably didn’t play it at the TEXXAS Jam because the theatrics were too hard to pull off Since they were sharing the stage with so many other bands.

Cinj.
cinj
Ol' 78

Postby yogi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:31 am

You are correct again. But the song was played at the other two Kilroy shows I saw. It was kind of done like the opener Mr Roboto after the video was played.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:44 am

Reading Chuck's book now for the first time.
He says at the Texas Jam John played the show with a brown paper bag on his head,with 2 holes for eyes,
you remember that ???
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:24 pm

No I absolutely do NOT. I was on the Infield looking up at the stage. If he did I did NOT see it, but I’m not even sure now if I even saw John & his drum kit. As hot as it was even late that night I sure can’t believe he could of done that for very long.
yogi
Stereo LP

Return to Styx