Dennis DeYoung NEW Album 26 East Volume II Release

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Dennis DeYoung NEW Album 26 East Volume II Release

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:06 am

I'm looking forward to his new album. You can check his Facebook page for the cover - since I can't post pictures on here.

HEY KIDS (ooh caps, must be special)
This is the album artwork for 26 East VOLUME II.
Where it all began so shall it end.
Hugh Gilmour who worked on both volumes covers started off by trying to do another take on Volume I. Neither of us wanted to simply go back to the well and repeat our selves so we decided on this instead. Nostalgic...you bet especially for me. Recently I read an article about Pink Floyd recording at Abbey Road the same time as the Beatles. They met the lads and told them that there would be no Floyd without them. Yet Floyd‘s music is nothing like the Beatles and neither was Styx’s. There’s a line in Hello Goodbye regarding The Beatles that goes “SO THE WHOLE WORLD FORMED A BAND AND PLAYED A MILLION ONE NIGHT STANDS”.

So true. I’ll bet some of you were in those bands. Got a story?
If the cover looks familiar let me know because it’s suppose to. Some will not get it but I wager many will.
The first song Hello Goodbye as I have previously mentioned is not a remake it’s all brand new...sorta. It’s a tribute to the lads who sent me down this long and winding road that led me to youse guys.
The first single will be released on 4/7 which not coincidentally is my birth year 1947. And 2021 adds up to 5 which is the number of guys in Styx. Coincidence you say? I think not...tee hee hee. Frontiers originally picked the 6th so I asked for the change and they graciously obliged.

The song is entitled ISLE OF MISANTHROPE and it rightfully closes the album in grand 70’s Styx tradition. Grand being the operative word. The entire piece is actually 8 minutes long but the single is more like 6. This tune hopefully will transport you back to a time and place of your choosing (hopefully in front of your computer ordering the album). Prog noggins this ones for you as I bid farewell. Although there’s a little twist at the end that doesn’t involve Chubby Checker.
Even though the song is long it’s perfect for today’s radio because it includes 20 dancers and a rap section featuring Bernie Sanders who has changed his name to “Lil B SANDMAN”. (Fake news).
Me and the Bizarro brothers are working diligently on the video right now and hopefully it will blow your minds. Be prepared it’s really something different and mystical.

The back cover not shown here is a hoot not to mention the final photo in the cd booklet
which has many stories to tell regarding its content. Ooooh how mysterious Dennis.
Dennis will there be pizza as well? Yes but only if you provide it. Fennel sausage anyone. Hmmm. Recently Suzanne found a butcher in Jersey called Pat La Frieda meats which will ship delicious sweet Italian sausage right to your door but keep an eye on the Amazon driver he looks hungry. Stay on topic.

Jim Peterik was a co-writer on 4 songs and the others are mine. Go to Jim’s face book page and thank him for convincing me to do Volume I and Volume II he deserves your appreciation and mine.
Finally I’ll have plenty more to talk about in the coming weeks concerning each individual song, most likely on my YouTube channel. Stay tuned.
Cheers Sparky
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: Dennis DeYoung NEW Album 26 East Volume II Release

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:09 am

Release date is June 11, 2021

First single release date is April 6, 2021

Coming up pretty fast!!!
Last edited by SuiteMadameBlue on Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:24 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Release date is April 7, 2021

Coming up pretty fast!!!

I believe that is only for the single. When will the album be released? I really like the cover of this much more than volume 1
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ztyxlynne » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:02 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:

Coming up pretty fast!!!

I believe that is only for the single. When will the album be released? I really like the cover of this much more than volume 1

It is coming up fast and it will be bitter sweet. I was really hoping we would hear special guests like Chuck on bass for a song, or Glenn doing backup vocals, co-write or anything like that. I cant wait for it. Love the cover.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:44 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:

Coming up pretty fast!!!

You're right, I changed the information.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:48 am

Tracklisting:
1. Hello Goodbye
2. Land Of The Living
3. The Last Guitar Hero (Featuring Tom Morello)
4. Your Saving Grace
5. Proof Of Heaven
6. Made For Each Other
7. There’s No Turning Back Time
8. St. Quarantine
9. Little Did We Know
10. Always Time
11. The Isle Of Misanthrope
12. Grand Finale

Line-up:
Vocals: Dennis DeYoung
Drums: Mike Morales, Ed Breckenfeld, Matthew DeYoung & The Late Khari Parker
Guitar: Jim Peterik, Mike Aquino, August Zadra, Jim Leahey
Solo on Last Guitar Hero: Tom Morello “The Great Houdini”
Bass: Jim Peterik, Jim Majors, Me on Synth Bass.
Keyboards: Me & Why Not?
Horns on Hello Goodbye, The Ides Of March: Tim Bales, Steve Eisen & Henry Delgado
Accordion: Mr.Tacit
Background Vocals: Jim Peterik, August Zadra, Kevin Chalfant, Suzanne Deyoung, Tito Gobi, Craig Carter, Mike Morales & Me. Mostly Me, I Work Cheap And Was Always Available. Besides My Voice Always Reminds People Of A Very Popular ’70s And ’80s Group. No, Not The Pointer Sisters.
Michael Manson Gospel Group on Your Saving Grace
Matthew DeYoung would like to dedicate his performance on the Grand Finale to his mentor John Panozzo. The ride cymbal Matthew used was given to him by John.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:49 am

So is the last track called GIF or Grand Finale? I imagine it's a reworked version of Grand Finale.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Jodes » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:55 pm

Hmm.. interesting. Always thought guys in bands like Rage, Pearl Jam, SOAD, etc hated stuff like Styx, REO, Foreigner, etc.

Seeing Tom Morello on it is kinda mind blowing.

Also disappointed none of the "Son Of Edge" songs he wrote and performed didn't make the cut either.

Oh well, at least I have those now - they sound terrific too.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:46 pm

Jodes wrote:

Especially as it doesn't seem to be one of those jokes he loves to make :P

Interesting tidbit from a note Dennis has on his website, back when he played a holiday party Adam Sandler's company.

I was surprised to learn Tom Morello was a big Styx fan telling me about his attending the Paradise Theater in the last row of the Rosemont horizon back in 1981. I told him if only he had told me he was going to end up becoming Tom Morello I would have gotten him front row seats.

Who knows.. maybe that event in 2015 lead to this!

Here's an Instagram Tom posted from the event :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/-3TPWQuLcg/
StyxGuy
LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:30 am

I'm really surprised by no Tom Dziallo considering his history with Dennis. I know he wasn't on the last one but thought he might make an appearance here for the final release.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ztyxlynne » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:31 am

FormerDJMike wrote:I'm really surprised by no Tom Dziallo considering his history with Dennis. I know he wasn't on the last one but thought he might make an appearance here for the final release.

What history? Havent heard of it before
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 am

The album is on Amazon for pre-order, CD and Vinyl.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Jodes » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:35 am

ztyxlynne wrote:
FormerDJMike wrote:I'm really surprised by no Tom Dziallo considering his history with Dennis. I know he wasn't on the last one but thought he might make an appearance here for the final release.

What history? Havent heard of it before

Tom was Dennis's guitar player from pretty much Day 1 of his solo career - all the way until Dennis wanted to do the "Music Of Styx" and got the rights to Tommy and JY's songs, around 2010 - out with Tom, Hank Horton etc and in came Craig, August and Jimmy, and Michael (drummer). Pretty much the only guy from the early to mid 00s Deyoung band still left is John B and well of course Suzanne on vocals (oi vey)

Pretty much every member was mentioned on DDY's site except for Tom, so that split must have not been pleasant.

Shrug.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby GrandIllusionist725 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:50 am

Jodes wrote:Hmm.. interesting. Always thought guys in bands like Rage, Pearl Jam, SOAD, etc hated stuff like Styx, REO, Foreigner, etc.

Also disappointed none of the "Son Of Edge" songs he wrote and performed didn't make the cut either.

Do you have any of the Son of Edge songs you could send me? I had a few at one time, but that was forever ago when the computer bit the dust. :(
"I've been instructed to inform you that your privileges have been penalized.
Your avoidance tactics have proven disappointing. Up yours, Roboto!"
GrandIllusionist725
45 RPM

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 am

GrandIllusionist725 wrote:
Jodes wrote:Hmm.. interesting. Always thought guys in bands like Rage, Pearl Jam, SOAD, etc hated stuff like Styx, REO, Foreigner, etc.

Do you have any of the Son of Edge songs you could send me? I had a few at one time, but that was forever ago when the computer bit the dust. :(

I would also like to hear those. I’ve only heard what was officially released in other forms. So there are actually copies of the demos out there?
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:51 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
GrandIllusionist725 wrote:

I would also like to hear those. I’ve only heard what was officially released in other forms. So there are actually copies of the demos out there?

I never knew anyone had any of the lost demos of all the songs either. I recently got a copy of the A&M sampler that went out in 1996 with the original demo of Little Suzie With Tommy Shaw and a demo of 'While There's Still Time" which sounds a little different from what ended up on Brave New World.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:23 pm

Vinyl copy should arrive today. I noticed the songs were already downloaded to my phone from Amazon without me having to do anything. Nice! So I listened to part of it on the way to work this morning. So far this one is way better than Vol. 1. I rarely play that one anymore but this one should get quite a few spins. Looking forward to playing the record and reading liner notes and looking at the album jacket.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby yogi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:07 pm

Thank you for you’re latest post DJ!! I just checked and it’s also on my phone already today too. I’m pumped!! I would of never checked. Gonna be watching some Super Regionals while listening to DDY today thru the weekend.

Still wishing that this WONT be his last recordings of new material. Really hoping if Dennis doesn't get back with Styx he does one last Styx album with his current band where they ALL write, sing & record all new material.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:43 pm

yogi wrote:Thank you for you’re latest post DJ!! I just checked and it’s also on my phone already today too. I’m pumped!! I would of never checked. Gonna be watching some Super Regionals while listening to DDY today thru the weekend.

Still wishing that this WONT be his last recordings of new material. Really hoping if Dennis doesn't get back with Styx he does one last Styx album with his current band where they ALL write, sing & record all new material.

Yeah, I remember Vol 1 showed up on my phone so I decided to check early this morning and sure enough Vol 2 downloaded automatically. That's awesome that Amazon pushed it to my phone.

Would love to watch the super regionals today but very busy at work. My Volunteers play LSU Saturday so I will try to check it out if we don't have other things going on. My wife and I really got into the Women's series with FSU and Oklahoma. We were pulling for FSU because my oldest daughter is a student there (and it is odd having to pull for the Noles in football and other sports now because we have always been Tennessee Vols because my wife and I both graduated from there).

Anyway, if anyone here ordered Vol 2 from Amazon check your phones today and it should be there!!

Mike
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby LtVanish » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:57 am

So far I would say I like Vol. 2 better than Vol. 1 and I really liked Vol. 1.

Hello Goodbye- I think is a really good catchy salute to the Beatles. This song along with the rest of the album is mixed and mastered really great. Love those Ides of March horns.

Land of the Living- Sounds like a Jim Peterik song that Dennis added a lot of Styx elements, this song sounds like it could be on Edge of the Century album.

The Last Guitar Hero- I really like this song and I think it is so cool that Dennis was able to get Tom Morello to play on the song.

Your Saving Grace- This is such a great song, typical DDY ballad and I don't mind that at all.

Proof of Heaven- This song fits great on Vol. 2 makes sense why he saved it for this release.

Made for Each Other- I could take or leave this one, although the hook is catchy.

There's No Turning Back Time- I love this song, another life reflective song by DDY, love the mid section, just a great prog segment, DDY keyboards are still unique, nobody has his timing, it just can't be replicated IMO.

St. Quarantine- I didn't know what to think of this song, but I love the change and jam in the end, really growing on me.

Little Did We Know- This is a typical DDY song IMO, kind of feels like a filler song to me.

Always Time- I really really like DDY vocals on this one, great song, great ballad, one of his best.

The Isle of Misanthrope- This is just a classic Styx sounding song DDY has done since the 70's.

Grand Finale- I think if DDY is going down this road of putting this on here he should of rewritten The Grand Illusion with today's times in mind, this track as it is, really isn't needed IMO.

Overall I think DDY at 74 years old still has a lot to offer as a recording artist and I hope he reconsiders this being his last. I agree with Yogi that he should attempt a Styx record with his band. I'll always hold out hope Styx along with Dennis will reunite for one last tour, with either one last album, or another live album with some new songs added.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:58 am

I REALLY REALLY hate to say it but after 3 full listens I don't like this album near as much as One Hundred Years From Now or 26 East Volume 1. For me, Volume 1 is far far SUPERIOR.

Isle of Misanthrope is by far the best song on the album. Its EXCELLENT. Always Time is my second favorite, and a really good song. Last Guitar Hero is a good song. Made for Each other is decent as is Proof of Heaven (but its old).

I don't like St Quarantine or Hello Goodbye at all. I also don't like the sequencing. 'Your Saving Grace' thru 'Little Did We Know' is a snooze fest for me. None of the ballads comes even close to 'You My Love' off of Volume 1.

To me you keep Volume 1 Completely in tact, redo the sequencing adding the songs Isle of Misanthrope, Always Time, Last Guitar Hero & The Grand Finale.

My Sequencing of Dennis's last SOLO recordings would be:
1. East of Midnight
2. Last Guitar Hero
3. A Kingdom A Blaze
4. You My Love
5. Run For The Roses
6. Damn That Dream
7. Isle of Misanthrope
8. With All Due Respect
9. Unbroken
10. There’s No Turning Back Time
11. Always Time
12. The Promise of This Land
13. To The Good Old Days ( Dennis singing lead vocals)
14. AD 2020/ The Grand Finale

That's one SOLID SOLID Solo effort!

Now I hope that if Dennis cant get back together with Styx he cuts one last StiX album with his current StiX band. All of them writing & performing on it just like the variety we got from Dennis's past Styx albums.
Last edited by yogi on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:37 am

yogi wrote:I REALLY REALLY hate to say it but after 3 full listens I don't like this album near as much as One Hundred Years From Now or 26 East Volume 1. For me, Volume 1 is far far SUPERIOR.

Isle of Misanthrope is by far the best song on the album. Its EXCELLENT. Always Time is my second favorite, and a really good song. Last Guitar Hero is a good song. Made for Each other is decent as is Proof of Heaven (but its old).

I don't like St Quarantine or Hello Goodbye at all. I also don't like the sequencing. 'Your Saving Grace' thru 'Little Did We Know' is a snooze fest for me. None of the ballads comes even close to 'You My Love' off of Volume 1.

To me you keep Volume 1 Completely in tact, redo the sequencing adding the songs Isle of Misanthrope, Always Time, Last Guitar Hero & The Grand Finale.

My Sequencing of Dennis's last SOLO recordings would be:
1. East of Midnight
2. Last Guitar Hero
3. A Kingdom A Blaze
4. You My Love
5. Run For The Roses
6. Damn That Dream
7. Isle of Misanthrope
8. With All Due Respect
9. Unbroken
10. Always Time
11. The Promise of This Land
12. To The Good Old Days ( Dennis singing lead vocals)
13. AD 2020/ The Grand Finale

That's one SOLID SOLID Solo effort!

Now I hope that if Dennis cant get back together with Styx he cuts one last StiX album with his current StiX band. All of them writing & performing on it just like the variety we got from Dennis's past Styx albums.

Ya know, it's interesting with all the diverse people. I feel the opposite. I like Vol 2 better than Vol 1 and feel it is a more solid effort (I don't even play Vol 1 anymore but I should go back and listen to it again and play them back to back). Both have their strong points and bad points but I prefer the latest.

As I grow older I find myself liking ballads less and less and I feel Vol 1 is too ballad heavy and the more uptempo songs on Vol 2 are better than Vol 1.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:44 am

Just received my Japanese CD :D

Pricey, but was able to get it direct from Amazon Japan :)

I do have to say - this is a HOT master, which I'm not entirely happy about but it's not horrific (it's just too loud sounding in some parts of songs, which I confirmed by looking at the waveforms)

Anyone care to take a look at the U.S. CD release?

Now I'm just waiting for the Styx 'Reppu' CD which releases on the 23rd
Last edited by StyxGuy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby yogi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:31 am

I’d also have on my 26 E off of Volume 2, ‘There’s No Turning Back Time’.8 Listened to that song a bunch today and it’s also very good.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:13 am

yogi wrote:I’d also have on my 26 E off of Volume 2, ‘There’s No Turning Back Time’.8 Listened to that song a bunch today and it’s also very good.

I've been playing that one on repeat quite often, along with "Isle of Misanthrope". My favorite songs off the album. I love the variety of songs!
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Jodes » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:01 am

So I gave 26 Ave Vol 2 a spin yesterday while cutting the grass.

It actually depressed me.

Maybe it's because I'm almost 50 and knowing that there's more than likely a 99% chance this will be the last DDY solo album ever, and IF (BIG BIG IF) he ever gets to rejoin Styx - would he even bother with new music for the fans or is that well run dry?

Thoughts are my own.

Hello Goodbye - I guess it's ok. Pretty corny lyrics. Could have easily been in another Broadway musical.
Land of the Living - It's catchy, but alas, the chorus and Suzanne's voice. (According to what Dennis sent out she does Background Vox on ALL of the songs). Could have easily been on Boomchild/Edge?
Guitar Hero - snoozefest. I'm not a big RATM fan, but this song leaves me flat. Tries to hard to be Juke Box Hero. Have to wonder if it's a Peterik co-written/demo.
Your Saving Grace - I usually love Deyoung's ballads, but oi vey. I cringed at the opening lyrics. I skipped it half way through.
Proof - More Religious Gospelly DDY, Peteril really tries to make this sound like Styx/Come Sail Away - but it works.
Made - Broadway Deyoung shining through. I liked it.
No Turning Back Time - My favorite track on the album. It's heartbreaking. Dennis's lyrics rattled me on this one. This needs to be done with Styx. So Powerful. Best track on the album.
St. Quarintine - Decent until that weird shift in the song where they try to go bluesy. Then it goes off the rails.
Little Did We Know - Umm Rain part 2 lol. Again could have been on Edge or Son Of Edge. I liked it for the most part.
Always Time - Oh another mushy ballad about running out of time in one's life.. Sigh.
Isle - Most Prog song on the album, deep lyrics. We know what I already think of the chorus. His voice is hauntingly beautiful on it, but the chorus leaves me flat. Too bad.
GIF - Umm why? (Although that last "crash" at the end must be Matt on drums as a tribute to John).

I may take a few tracks off of this one and the other to make one solid album. Honestly, his "solo" songs on Son Of Edge (Nothing In Common, Someday We'll Fly and All For Love) blow most of this stuff out of the water IMHO.

I was really hoping that there would be "oomph" and there was in some places, but for the most part it left me flat. I wanted to be blown away like some tracks did on Vol 1, but outside of No Turning Back, there was no "WOW" moments. Do I hate it, no. I guess thanks are in order to Jim Peterik, because without his input many of these songs would have never been heard.

I'll buy the physical copy when the time comes. I guess I'll just be greatful we got Vol 1 and Vol 2.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:18 pm

I liked this more than Volume I... it's a strong album and the production is not half bad. Depressing to know this is it for DDY. The music world never knew what it really had. I'm lucky I'm one of the many thousand fans that know how great Styx was and who the architect was. You, Dennis DeYoung are a genius with one of the best voices in Rock. Amazing songwriter, musician. This type is almost extinct.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Return to Styx