https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvZPaH7 ... theShadows
Monker
MP3

Re: Kilroy review from a total not a Styx fan

Postby yogi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:19 pm

Pretty damn funny!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Abitaman » Sun May 02, 2021 9:10 am

Pretty good. He is not a Styx, but came out saying, the album wasn't that bad.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Grotelul » Thu May 06, 2021 2:25 pm

That's how many Styx fans felt about that record. Two top 10 singles and it sold less than the previous four. That tells me there were many that bought the single, but not the album.
Grotelul
LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun May 09, 2021 11:16 am

Grotelul wrote:That's how many Styx fans felt about that record. Two top 10 singles and it sold less than the previous four. That tells me there were many that bought the single, but not the album.

The Kilroy Was Here album sold 2 million copies, 1 million less than the previous 3. That’s the actual definition of most Styx fans. 2 top singles is not an easy task, please don’t sound dismissive, when the three previous triple albums you mention had no more than 1. If Tommy hadn’t stopped A&M from releasing HWBHB because he wanted Cold War live then Styx would have had a chance to sell even more. A&M flatly refused Tommy’s idea.
Instead High Time was chosen. Dennis has said High Time was not a good choice.
The bands 2 rockers JY and Tommy did not write enough “rockers” for the album. 2 of the 3 songs Tommy wrote were soft songs. Tommy actually said on BTM that he had a these rockin songs he’d written during Kilroy. He didn’t offer them to Styx. He held them out for Girls with Guns. LOL.
I’m truly not trying to be argumentative but the Kilroy album in my opinion sold less because of changing musical tastes and honestly the songs on the album weren’t as good as the other three. The concept had nothing to do with it but the style of Mr. Roboto did distress many fans. Dennis in interviews has pointed out that the album lacked a song like Renegade. Calling the rockers Tommy and JY.

I know many fans who use Roboto as the reason they stopped listening to Styx. Not me after years of one great record and concert after another one song was not enough to cancel out my love of the bands music. That certainly would not made me much of an actual fan. Fickle comes to mind for those who did bail.
Please don’t use Babe as another example of music you did not like because that album did sell more than 3 million and the song has the second most viewed Styx videos on YouTube behind Boat. Also not a rocker. And First Time was never a public issue until Tommy brought it up on BTM and wrongly compared it to Barry Manilow. Tommy complains about First Time without ever mentioning She Cares a song many Styx fans dislike. Dennis has never to my knowledge criticized any particular song that someone else wrote, only his own.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon May 10, 2021 6:07 am

I love Kilroy. One of my favorites.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Monker » Tue May 11, 2021 11:36 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Grotelul wrote:That's how many Styx fans felt about that record. Two top 10 singles and it sold less than the previous four. That tells me there were many that bought the single, but not the album.

The Kilroy Was Here album sold 2 million copies, 1 million less than the previous 3.

Oh, 1/3 less.

2 top singles is not an easy task

"Too Much Time", "Renegade", Blue Collar Man"...even "Suite Madame Blue" and "Lady". They defined who Styx are to the fans as much - or even more - than the hits. Those songs are STILL on FM Classic Rock radio...not "Babe" or "Don't Let It End", or even "Mr. Roboto". You have to turn to an 80's nostalgia station to here those...and it's still not that often

. If Tommy hadn’t stopped A&M from releasing HWBHB because he wanted Cold War live then Styx would have had a chance to sell even more. A&M flatly refused Tommy’s idea.

Labels release singles, not band members. All Tommy could have done was whine alot or quit the band...and he was going to quit eventually anyway.

The truth is Dennis didn't even want Mr..Roboto released as a single. So much for his prophetic wisdom of predicting hit singles and songs that sell albums. By the third single, I doubt ANYTHING could have helped KWH.; It's fate had been decided by then.

[quite]Dennis has said High Time was not a good choice.[/quote]

And, he said the same thing about Mr. Roboto. And, he turned down recording "These Are the Times", which IMO is one of JY's best Styx songs ever. So, Dennis, as he has said, "doesn't know anything."

The bands 2 rockers JY and Tommy did not write enough “rockers” for the album.

So, the guy who credits himself for inventing the Styx sound. The guy who believes he has the magical touch to produce hit singles. That guy can not write a "rock" song for HIS concept album? How hypocritical of you to tout so strongly "Miss Anthrope" and then say something like the above. Perhaps if the guy who recorded "10 on Broadway" had recorded "Miss Anthrope" 40yrs ago, he would still be in Styx.

Tommy actually said on BTM that he had a these rockin songs he’d written during Kilroy. He didn’t offer them to Styx. He held them out for Girls with Guns. LOL.

I don't recall any songs about Robots on GWG. So, they wouldn't have fit anyway. What were they "This is Not a Test", "Come In and Explain?" Yeah, those fit the concept perfectly.

I’m truly not trying to be argumentative but the Kilroy album in my opinion sold less because of changing musical tastes.

What a bunch of bullshit. In 1983, you also had Journey releasing "Frontiers", with their own Roboto on the cover. Yes released 90125, Night Ranger, Def Leppard, releases...It was at the peak of AOR. It was also at the start of MTV...and a concept like KWH should have taken of - IF IT WAS DONE WELL...instead you have the one mini-movie and a bunch of mediocre videos that followed.

The concept had nothing to do with it

The lack of it DID. It was NOT "The Wall". It was NOT "Tommy". It was a couple songs that followed a concept and a bunch of other random "things" that had nothing to do with it.

And First Time was never a public issue until Tommy brought it up on BTM

You're wrong again. It was argued about 30yrs ago....I was there.

b]Dennis has never to my knowledge criticized any particular song that someone else wrote, only his own.[/b]

No, he just says he has this magical touch that can make them better.
Monker
MP3

Return to Styx