Isle Of Misanthrope, thoughts

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Isle Of Misanthrope, thoughts

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:04 am

Dennis has said this song is in the grand 70s Styx tradition. The song is 8 minutes long but we will get the 6:08 minute single version tonight. We'll see. Mighty big claim by DDY about this song. Let's see if it lives up to it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... V7pHGKtBJ9
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: Isle Of Misanthrope, thoughts

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:53 pm

https://youtu.be/o9Lsbj3TpuM

Interesting at 3:02.

Pretty good song but I honestly don't care for whoever the BG vocalists are.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 pm

I will say it's a very good effort by DDY. It definitely has a Styx sound to it. He uses an old hammond organ sound when it kicks in like on the wooden nickel albums. A little repetitious is a couple areas but over all, I like it more than anything on Volume 1.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 am

FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:43 am

I just watched the video several times and it’s everything Styx was to me and millions of others.
Melodic, powerful lyrics, rocking with a memorable chorus and images that must be examined on repeat viewings to take it all in.

I personally love it!!
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:10 am

Have watched the video twice and REALLY like the song. Currently I do not like it near as well as my two all time favorite DDY songs ( A Kingdom Ablaze & Crossing the Rubicon) but still I really like it with only two listens under my belt. Can’t wait to hear the 2+minute longer album version.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Grotelul » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 pm

I personally do not like this song. It doesn't remind me at all of Equinox to POE material. I was expecting so much more. He has a great voice, but he doesn't sing the same as he did during the glory days. His lead vocals sound like something from a musical. I don't care for the background vocals either. The music...ehhh.

Sorry to those who love it. It's not for me.
Grotelul
LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:59 pm

Hmm... Where did it say the album version was 8 minutes long? I thought I read it somewhere. That is incorrect, the version on the video is the album version. And why does the video have 5 minutes of dead air at the end?
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:49 am

FormerDJMike wrote:Hmm... Where did it say the album version was 8 minutes long? I thought I read it somewhere. That is incorrect, the version on the video is the album version. And why does the video have 5 minutes of dead air at the end?

I had thought DDY said there was an eight minute version in one of his Facebook posts. But you are correct, the album is showing a six minute version. As for the five minutes of dead space at the end of the video..... maybe he added a minute for every member of Styx??? 8)
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ztyxlynne » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:45 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:I just watched the video several times and it’s everything Styx was to me and millions of others.
Melodic, powerful lyrics, rocking with a memorable chorus and images that must be examined on repeat viewings to take it all in.

I personally love it!!

I agree, love it. Prob in the my top 5 of his solo songs so far!
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Jodes » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:05 am

The voice is amazing as usual, but when it gets to the Chorus, hearing Suzanne's voice - it just makes me grit my teeth. That's my biggest beef. Now if someone could mix her voice out of that mix.. IMO that would make it better!

But then again, what do I know, according to certain members of DDY's family, I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm a "Styx Snooper" for my comments about Tommy Shaw's role in the band and how that they worked as a team for the first few albums and it wasn't just one guy writing their own songs. (Which has been proven and documented, but I don't know what I'm talking about)

I left the Official DDY facebook group because of it. I guess one can't have an opinion based on previous articles, documents, and well songs, that goes against their prevcious saviour.

I'll still purchase the album (if it's available in Canada) but man did that leave a sour taste in my mouth.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:28 pm

Jodes wrote:The voice is amazing as usual, but when it gets to the Chorus, hearing Suzanne's voice - it just makes me grit my teeth. That's my biggest beef. Now if someone could mix her voice out of that mix.. IMO that would make it better!

But then again, what do I know, according to certain members of DDY's family, I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm a "Styx Snooper" for my comments about Tommy Shaw's role in the band and how that they worked as a team for the first few albums and it wasn't just one guy writing their own songs. (Which has been proven and documented, but I don't know what I'm talking about)

I left the Official DDY facebook group because of it. I guess one can't have an opinion based on previous articles, documents, and well songs, that goes against their prevcious saviour.

I'll still purchase the album (if it's available in Canada) but man did that leave a sour taste in my mouth.

You are listening to Isle of Misanthrope the same way you listen to everything Dennis is involved in with your Tommy idolization goggles and ears. His wife did not sing on that track it’s just Dennis and August. He has said so.

Dennis has said in countless interviews both audio and print that Styx was always a product of all the members. That’s what all bands are. You confuse what countless Styx fans on Facebook have said in praising Dennis that he was the driving force in the band and that to them he was Styx. Dennis has never said that.
Even JY said that in BTM when he said Dennis always believed in the band even when he JY was skeptical and that for the first 10 years Dennis was the very best thing for Styx. That would be from 1972 to 1982.

DDY’s family? You probably left because you can’t stand the praise Dennis gets from Styx fans. Which is why you show up here complaining about his wife’s harmonies on the masterpiece Misanthrope when she’s not even singing.

Read the comments on YouTube by actual Styx fans if you dare, the raves are over whelming. There’s more Styx music in that song than in the whole of the Mission. Not to mention the intellectual depth leaving of us to once again wonder what was the Mission’s concept.
Your point about working together on songwriting is meaningless when you realize that Styx’s biggest hits where not co written. They all benefitted from each other’s musical contributions to their individual songs which Dennis has said but that’s what bands are for. I just read someone claiming that JY said he made Renegade a rock song which is a lie it was Dennis.

I’m waiting for you to claim Tommy helped write Lady, Babe and Show me the Way.
Finally your references to articles (Tommy and JY have consistently lied about everything for over 20 years which you sadly bought into) and documents of which you have none. We wouldn’t be discussing anyone’s individual contributions if Dennis hadn’t been replaced, we would all still love Styx.
Misanthrope has raised the bar beyond Mars. Just compare the Gone and Silence videos with zero creativity or reference to the concept to what Dennis has produced.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:19 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:You are listening to Isle of Misanthrope the same way you listen to everything Dennis is involved in with your Tommy idolization goggles and ears.

What are you talking about? Jodes is one of the more reasonable people who post here. I don't recall her making posts idolizing Tommy. It seems to me that you are just looking to pick a fight with somebody.

Dennis has said in countless interviews both audio and print that Styx was always a product of all the members.

He's also said that he is responsible for the Styx sound. That he cried when he first heard BNW because it did not meet his qualifications for being worthy of Styx. He said that if he had produced "I Will Be Your Witness" that it would have been a hit single. He has also called Styx HIS band that was taken away from him

He talks out of both sides of his mouth. One side he denies that Styx was all about him, and the other says how much Styx was all about him. I doubt he even realizes how arrogant he sounds when he does it.

DDY’s family? You probably left because you can’t stand the praise Dennis gets from Styx fans. Which is why you show up here complaining about his wife’s harmonies on the masterpiece Misanthrope when she’s not even singing.

Who are you to tell somebody why they left a FB page? You are a nobody, just like everybody else. If somebody says they left Dennis' FB page because his family were treating them like assholes, then you have no power to make that statement untrue.

Read the comments on YouTube by actual Styx fans if you dare, the raves are over whelming.

They are also meaningless. Just becaue a bunch a bunch of people on FB say a song is good doesn't make it so, It DEFINITELY does not make it a "masterpiece", either.

There’s more Styx music in that song than in the whole of the Mission.

In your incredibly biased opinion.

Not to mention the intellectual depth leaving of us to once again wonder what was the Mission’s concept.

You have to be pretty stupid to post such a comment...or a troll looking for an argument.

Your point about working together on songwriting is meaningless when you realize that Styx’s biggest hits where not co written.

I see. So, Dennis' comments about the band working together are meaningless because he wrote all the hits. Makes perfect sense. Not.

Also, writing credits are based on band politics and are NOT a complete indication of how a song was written.

They all benefitted from each other’s musical contributions to their individual songs which Dennis has said but that’s what bands are for.

Except when he cries about it because he didn't produce an album, or believes his way was the only way to make a song hit worthy.

You are such a fool that you would suggest Tommy could contribute to the writing of songs when he wasn't even in the band.

Whatever your issue is, you need to get over it.

We wouldn’t be discussing anyone’s individual contributions if Dennis hadn’t been replaced, we would all still love Styx.

Now you are into believing you can predict a factitious alternate history. Whenever somebody does this, it is ALWAYS based on their own bias.

As I have said, the FACT is that I was on Prodigy and GEnie arguing about these very thing all the way back in 1991 (at the earliest). You are denying reality if you think everything would have been fine if they had just kept Dennis in the band.

For me, I like the way things turned out.

Misanthrope has raised the bar beyond Mars.

It hasn't raised anything. There is no 'bar'. This competition thing is in your imagination.

Just compare the Gone and Silence videos with zero creativity or reference to the concept to what Dennis has produced.

"Gone, gone, gone" is about the launch of the mission to Mars, and all the excitement that surrounds such a thing. How can you not know that.

"Radio Silence" is about the final landing on Mars. It can take up to 20min to communicate between Earth and Mars. So, it is up to the crew to perform the landing without any help from Earth. In addition, there is another blackout as the craft goes through the atmosphere. So, it is about the fear making a mistake, and the fear of not having the help of Earth.

So, yes, they are both very much in line with the concept.

But, that doesn't matter to you anyway...you are just trolling to argue about shit.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Monker wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:You are listening to Isle of Misanthrope the same way you listen to everything Dennis is involved in with your Tommy idolization goggles and ears.

What are you talking about? Jodes is one of the more reasonable people who post here. I don't recall her making posts idolizing Tommy. It seems to me that you are just looking to pick a fight with somebody.

Jodes last post, along with this one insulted Suzanne’s singing yet again “oy vey” she says. Even though she wasn’t even singing. Then she implied that there was bad blood between Dennis and Tom Dziallo after he changed the band over. “Shrug”. The change was initiated by Hank Horton desire to play in the 101 Dalmatians pit band. Dennis ok’d Hanks new employment. That was the reason for my original post. Spreading lies Is unacceptable but that’s never stopped you. If you don’t like the harmonies fine but Suzanne?

Dennis has said in countless interviews both audio and print that Styx was always a product of all the members.

He's also said that he is responsible for the Styx sound. That he cried when he first heard BNW because it did not meet his qualifications for being worthy of Styx. He said that if he had produced "I Will Be Your Witness" that it would have been a hit single. He has also called Styx HIS band that was taken away from him

He talks out of both sides of his mouth. One side he denies that Styx was all about him, and the other says how much Styx was all about him. I doubt he even realizes how arrogant he sounds when he does it.

Most Styx fans believe it was his band and that it was stolen from him. Though I ask you to post the evidence of him saying that. His most recent interview and lots of others he credits the initial Styx sound to when he and JY came together and combined their styles.

Who are you to tell somebody why they left a FB page? You are a nobody, just like everybody else. If somebody says they left Dennis' FB page because his family were treating them like assholes, then you have no power to make that statement untrue.

I'd like to know from Jodes, what did Dennis’s family and specifically who were treating you badly. We’re you posting something nasty about Suzanne. Shame on you.

Read the comments on YouTube by actual Styx fans if you dare, the raves are over whelming.

They are also meaningless. Just becaue a bunch a bunch of people on FB say a song is good doesn't make it so, It DEFINITELY does not make it a "masterpiece", either.

If you can read I didn’t say Facebook comments were raves which they were it was YouTube.

There’s more Styx music in that song than in the whole of the Mission.

In your incredibly biased opinion.

All opinions are biased I admit but once again oh dense one I referred to YouTube.

Not to mention the intellectual depth leaving of us to once again wonder what was the Mission’s concept.

You have to be pretty stupid to post such a comment...or a troll looking for an argument.

You remain a coward. I have asked you or anyone on this site what’s the concept of the Mission. Not looking for an argument just an explanation. The intellectual depth in Misanthrope puts the Mission to shame. Although still not not as profound as Transitus LOL.

Your point about working together on songwriting is meaningless when you realize that Styx’s biggest hits where not co written.

I see. So, Dennis' comments about the band working together are meaningless because he wrote all the hits. Makes perfect sense. Not.

Also, writing credits are based on band politics and are NOT a complete indication of how a song was written.

Jodes said they worked as a team in the beginning, it wasn’t just about one guy(Dennis ) writing all the songs. To which I stated factually that all the big hits were written by individuals. And then you piped up mr. know that writing credits are “band politics NOT a complete indication of how a song was written. Implying what, that none of them wrote their own songs. Or just big bad Dennis. So I said facetiously Tommy had written Babe Lady, SMTW.

They all benefitted from each other’s musical contributions to their individual songs which Dennis has said but that’s what bands are for.

Except when he cries about it because he didn't produce an album, or believes his way was the only way to make a song hit worthy.

Styx has never had a hit song from 75 forward where he wasn’t at the helm. That’s a fact. With or without Tommy.

You are such a fool that you would suggest Tommy could contribute to the writing of songs when he wasn't even in the band.
Whatever your issue is, you need to get over it.

We wouldn’t be discussing anyone’s individual contributions if Dennis hadn’t been replaced, we would all still love Styx.

Now you are into believing you can predict a factitious alternate history. Whenever somebody does this, it is ALWAYS based on their own bias.

As I have said, the FACT is that I was on Prodigy and GEnie arguing about these very thing all the way back in 1991 (at the earliest). You are denying reality if you think everything would have been fine if they had just kept Dennis in the band.
For me, I like the way things turned out.

So now your back in your Nissan again with you buddy on Prodigy discussing Styx. Spare us.
The 96 and 97 tours overwhelming success points to what the fans always wanted and still do despite you and your little friend and a minority of fans who bought into JY and Tommy’s lies wrongly vilifying Dennis. They want them together.

Misanthrope has raised the bar beyond Mars.

It hasn't raised anything. There is no 'bar'. This competition thing is in your imagination.

There is no competition between them LAUGH OUT REALLY LOUD.

Just compare the Gone and Silence videos with zero creativity or reference to the concept to what Dennis has produced.

"Gone, gone, gone" is about the launch of the mission to Mars, and all the excitement that surrounds such a thing. How can you not know that.

"Radio Silence" is about the final landing on Mars. It can take up to 20min to communicate between Earth and Mars. So, it is up to the crew to perform the landing without any help from Earth. In addition, there is another blackout as the craft goes through the atmosphere. So, it is about the fear making a mistake, and the fear of not having the help of Earth.

So, yes, they are both very much in line with the concept.

But, that doesn't matter to you anyway...you are just trolling to argue about shit.

Not that it matters but I was referring to the brilliance of the Misanthrope video comparing it to the 70’s on stage performance video of Gone and the mind numbing drone of Radio Silence. They had a chance to let us in on the bigger picture of the Mission concept and didn’t. Cause they couldn’t.

They should hire you to explain that valuable 20 minutes you speak of then explain why their actual lyrics are so banal. Leaving us making up our own concept like you just did.
I checked and both singles have blue skies in the opening lyrics which might explain the blue vinyl album with Mr. Roboto live on it, one day after DeYoung’s album is released.
I know there’s no competition . I would laugh in you face but I’m breathless from all the other laughing at you.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:16 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:A bunch of crap

Styx is NOT Dennis' band. The settlement to the lawsuit he started cemented that FACT.

You are just as two faced as Dennis. On the one hand, Dennis wrote all the hits all by himself. But, they all benefited from each others contributions. It all depends on what argument you want to make and what perspective suits it best. It makes you and Dennis both look like egotistical assholes who can't see that Dennis believes all the credit goes to him and all the blame goes to everybody else. That is a very conceited, egotistical, arrogant perspective to have. The perspective of a Captain Dunsel who needs to be kicked out and replaced.

I did write an entire explanation of "The Mission" and compared it to what I consider a perfect album "Gentle Storm". I did that to point out "The Missions" flaws. It is a very good album, but not perfect. YOU are the coward for not admitting it's positives.

Comments on ANY forum...here, FB, or YouTube do not offer proof that a song is good. It's ironic that fans of the guy who called Tommy fans on the internet "bathwater drinkers" need to be reminded of that fact.

I have been saying writing credits are pretty meaningless for DECADES because of Perry fans making the excact same arguments that you are making. Writing credits determine who gets paid and that's about all they prove. They do NOT prove who wrote most of a song, or that some other member did not contribute ANYTHING (just not enough to make an argument to get paid royalties). Pointing to writing credits as proof of who had how much influence in the writing of a song, or no contribution at all, is not realistic. For example, you don't know if Tommy wrote some small guitar bit, or suggested singing harmony in a certain way, or whatever...you don't know the complete picture of what happened during the writing. All you know is the result of the band deciding who should get paid royalties.

My "buddy on Prodigy?" I knew a LOT Of people on those services. Those posters included Donna Lettow, who published 976-STYX newsletter. It included Micky Jorgensen who published the DY newsletter "Yankee Pride". It also included, for a short time, Glen Burtnik. There were HUNDREDS of posts a day...busier then this forum has EVER been And, there were HUGE arguments about Dennis being controlling and breaking the band up with KWH. There were huge argument about Glen being a worthy replacement for Tommy. There were arguments about Babe and "First Time" being a turning point towards crap. This divisive attitude has been going on for AT LEAST 30yrs. You have no clue what you are talking about.

There is no competition, except the one in your own head. I don't care who Miss Anthrope is, why she is on an island, or why Dennis can't just leave her alone. It just doesn't matter.

Again, reality is that "The Mission" was received well enough to convince Styx to record another album and the label to release it. I'm sorry it wasn't a huge fail as you seem to want. I'm sorry that Miss Anthrope and this 2nd CD will be DDY's last recording. And, Dennis will never sing with Styx again. That is reality. Deal with it.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:01 am

Monker wrote:
Styx is NOT Dennis' band. The settlement to the lawsuit he started cemented that FACT.

You are just as two faced as Dennis. On the one hand, Dennis wrote all the hits all by himself. But, they all benefited from each others contributions. It all depends on what argument you want to make and what perspective suits it best. It makes you and Dennis both look like egotistical assholes who can't see that Dennis believes all the credit goes to him and all the blame goes to everybody else. That is a very conceited, egotistical, arrogant perspective to have. The perspective of a Captain Dunsel who needs to be kicked out and replaced.

I did write an entire explanation of "The Mission" and compared it to what I consider a perfect album "Gentle Storm". I did that to point out "The Missions" flaws. It is a very good album, but not perfect. YOU are the coward for not admitting it's positives.

Comments on ANY forum...here, FB, or YouTube do not offer proof that a song is good. It's ironic that fans of the guy who called Tommy fans on the internet "bathwater drinkers" need to be reminded of that fact.

I have been saying writing credits are pretty meaningless for DECADES because of Perry fans making the excact same arguments that you are making. Writing credits determine who gets paid and that's about all they prove. They do NOT prove who wrote most of a song, or that some other member did not contribute ANYTHING (just not enough to make an argument to get paid royalties). Pointing to writing credits as proof of who had how much influence in the writing of a song, or no contribution at all, is not realistic. For example, you don't know if Tommy wrote some small guitar bit, or suggested singing harmony in a certain way, or whatever...you don't know the complete picture of what happened during the writing. All you know is the result of the band deciding who should get paid royalties.

My "buddy on Prodigy?" I knew a LOT Of people on those services. Those posters included Donna Lettow, who published 976-STYX newsletter. It included Micky Jorgensen who published the DY newsletter "Yankee Pride". It also included, for a short time, Glen Burtnik. There were HUNDREDS of posts a day...busier then this forum has EVER been And, there were HUGE arguments about Dennis being controlling and breaking the band up with KWH. There were huge argument about Glen being a worthy replacement for Tommy. There were arguments about Babe and "First Time" being a turning point towards crap. This divisive attitude has been going on for AT LEAST 30yrs. You have no clue what you are talking about.

There is no competition, except the one in your own head. I don't care who Miss Anthrope is, why she is on an island, or why Dennis can't just leave her alone. It just doesn't matter.

Again, reality is that "The Mission" was received well enough to convince Styx to record another album and the label to release it. I'm sorry it wasn't a huge fail as you seem to want. I'm sorry that Miss Anthrope and this 2nd CD will be DDY's last recording. And, Dennis will never sing with Styx again. That is reality. Deal with it.

This is from a radio interview I have of Dennis talking about songwriting:
Dennis said: “when JC ,JY and I started writing songs we came up with a formula to define songwriting. All sung melodies and chords behind melody and lyrics constitute songwriting everything else is arrangement. This allowed us to avoid arguing over every single note. When Tommy joined we plugged him in. It has served us well. Arrangement is separate from songwriting otherwise every great solo would qualify.
Nelson Riddles brilliant arrangements of Sinatra’s records were indispensable but he’s not credited as songwriter”.

Although Dennis rearranged Renegade and Boat on the River he was not entitled to songwriting credit. That’s arrangement. He also recently said that although he wrote the organ riff that drives Blue Collar Man and that Tommy wrote the musical beginning of GI they took no songwriting credit. Your ignorant statement over Tommy’s little guitar bit or harmony suggestions, proves the point, that is arrangement not song writing. So shut up you’re wrong when it comes to Styx!!!!

Dennis did write 7 of the 8 top ten hits by himself. See Styx’s definition above. Dennis takes writing credit not arrangement credit. Blame? Who does Dennis ever blame about songwriting. Tommy and JY do the blaming.

Journey is not Styx. No one here cares, this is a Styx forum. Go back to being a pariah on their forum.

The liar Monker.......
KWH did not break up the band, Tommy’s drug and alcohol abuse which began years before Kilroy, along with his solo ambitions is why he quit. Styx did not break up, so stop lying and spreading falsehoods. If Tommy rehabs in 1984 as he eventually did, odds are there would have been a new Styx album in 1985 making all this discussion unnecessary.

This below has previously been stated.....
You are Bathwater Drinker number one. Dennis has been proven right. Though never in your soapy eyes. JY and Tommy and Styx management lied over and over about Dennis’s removal. I still have copies of their original web announcement about his retirement. You believed the lies which formed your views. To bring up the KWH album and Babe and First Time in 2000’s BTM after two successful reunion tours in 96 and 97 was their away of lying about the real reason they replaced Dennis. Greed and power. But this is something you and all bathwater drinkers cannot process. No not our sweet home Alabama Tommy. He is now Styx and runs it like it’s his.
- Check their Facebook or his public appearances without JY or Chuck.

When they were together there was always competition they have all said so. So now that Dennis and Styx are competing for Styx fans attention through separate albums and tours they’re not in competition. They also play at many of the same venues. Is this your idiotic premise. Everyone on this site regardless of their affiliation thinks that’s the most hilarious thing you have ever said and that’s saying something.
To the majority of Styx fans Dennis always was the most important member but as he has said those records could have never been made without them all.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:07 am

Bath water with bath soaps could lead to an overdose. Be careful out there.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:04 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:This is from a radio interview I have of Dennis talking about songwriting:
Dennis said: “when JC ,JY and I started writing songs we came up with a formula to define songwriting. All sung melodies and chords behind melody and lyrics constitute songwriting everything else is arrangement. This allowed us to avoid arguing over every single note. When Tommy joined we plugged him in. It has served us well. Arrangement is separate from songwriting otherwise every great solo would qualify.
Nelson Riddles brilliant arrangements of Sinatra’s records were indispensable but he’s not credited as songwriter”.

Although Dennis rearranged Renegade and Boat on the River he was not entitled to songwriting credit. That’s arrangement. He also recently said that although he wrote the organ riff that drives Blue Collar Man and that Tommy wrote the musical beginning of GI they took no songwriting credit. Your ignorant statement over Tommy’s little guitar bit or harmony suggestions, proves the point, that is arrangement not song writing. So shut up you’re wrong when it comes to Styx!!!!

You are a completely ignorant fool.

What Dennis described was how the members of Styx agreed to list songwriting credits. YOU EVEN WROTE IT THAT WAY.

This is EXACTLY what I said. The songwriting credits are how the members get paid. It does NOT describe a complete picture of how a song is written. Dennis even admitted to it. Just because there is a cool solo doesn't mean a songwriting credit.

You have NO CLUE how much the other members of Styx influence songs where one member got a songwriting credit. Thank you for proving my point for me.

Journey is not Styx. No one here cares, this is a Styx forum. Go back to being a pariah on their forum.

YOU care because you LIED about how long I have said songwriting credits don't mean you know the complete picture of who wrote a song. YOU don't, and neither do Perry fans.

The liar Monker.......
KWH did not break up the band, Tommy’s drug and alcohol abuse which began years before Kilroy, along with his solo ambitions is why he quit. Styx did not break up, so stop lying and spreading falsehoods. If Tommy rehabs in 1984 as he eventually did, odds are there would have been a new Styx album in 1985 making all this discussion unnecessary.

Only Dennis fans like you believe this shit. Styx did not break up...which a bunch of bullshit. If they did not break up, why did Tommy call Dennis multiple times to get the band back together? If they did not break up, why did Dennis say he didn't want the effort to get the band back together be wasted.

If Tommy went through rehab in 1984, he probably would have seen how much of a controlling narcissist DDY really is and would have left anyway. And, BTW, that is probably why he doesn't want him back.

When they were together there was always competition they have all said so.

It has been over 20yrs since they were together. Get over it already.

So now that Dennis and Styx are competing for Styx fans attention through separate albums and tours they’re not in competition.

Not now. Dennis has his fans, Styx has theirs, and some are fans of both. After more than 20yrs, sane people have moved on from this petty bullshit.

Everyone on this site regardless of their affiliation thinks that’s the most hilarious thing you have ever said and that’s saying something.

Well, that's fine. I made a half dozen people laugh. Cool.

To the majority of Styx fans Dennis always was the most important member but as he has said those records could have never been made without them all.

And, he said it is his band. He has said he cried over BNW and because he could have produced it better. He said he could have made a hit out of "I Will Be Your Witness"

I'm happy with the music Styx has made over the years. And, I really don't care much about Dennis does or doesn't do.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:45 pm

Monker wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:This is from a radio interview I have of Dennis talking about songwriting:

You are a completely ignorant fool.

What Dennis described was how the members of Styx agreed to list songwriting credits. YOU EVEN WROTE IT THAT WAY.

This is EXACTLY what I said. The songwriting credits are how the members get paid. It does NOT describe a complete picture of how a song is written. Dennis even admitted to it. Just because there is a cool solo doesn't mean a songwriting credit.

You have NO CLUE how much the other members of Styx influence songs where one member got a songwriting credit. Thank you for proving my point for me.

No, not to list credits or divide money but to define what they constituted as song writing versus arrangement in the first place. Shall I write this slower for you or in another language.
Anything outside JY,JC’s and Dennis’s three rules not yours became arrangement. Solos no matter how great are not songwriting. That’s says it all.
By your ignorant definition Dennis should be credited as a songwriter on Renegade and Boat on the River because of his changes.
Did Producer Jimmy Miller claim songwriting credit on Honky Tonk woman for his memorable use of cowbell. Or Mick Jones who came in later and overdubbed his distinctive guitar part. No. These are arrangements not songwriting. Jones followed the chords by Jagger and Richards. However Ringo just read your post and decided to sue John Lennon’s estate for his unforgettable drum part on Ticket to Ride. LOL. LOL. LOL
You are dense.
Dennis never ever claimed he wrote any songs that do not have his name on the copyright.

YOU care because you LIED about how long I have said songwriting credits don't mean you know the complete picture of who wrote a song. YOU don't, and neither do Perry fans.

Journey Journey Journey Perry Perry Perry. Look he’s lost all MonkerTroll.

The liar Monker.......

Only Dennis fans like you believe this shit. Styx did not break up...which a bunch of bullshit. If they did not break up, why did Tommy call Dennis multiple times to get the band back together? If they did not break up, why did Dennis say he didn't want the effort to get the band back together be wasted.

If Tommy went through rehab in 1984, he probably would have seen how much of a controlling narcissist DDY really is and would have left anyway. And, BTW, that is probably why he doesn't want him back.

Monker the spreader of lies.
JY called Dennis every six months on behalf of the Panozzo’s not Tommy. They have both said so. The first Dennis heard from Tommy is when he found Jesus and apologized to him for his destructive behavior. Tommy never said he wanted to return until he ran out of album options in the fall of 1987. They have both said that. That is a fact.
Tommy did not, did not contact anyone until he was in his 12 step program in recovery from his drug and alcohol abuse. That’s your hero buddy boy. It wasn’t robots that started his “self medicating” it was his own destructive behavior that stated years before.

We don’t have to guess about 1984 and Dennis’s narcissism.
After Tommy’s rehab we know exactly what happened, he called Dennis to apologize and ask for forgiveness.

When they were together there was always competition they have all said so.

It has been over 20yrs since they were together. Get over it already.

So now that Dennis and Styx are competing for Styx fans attention through separate albums and tours they’re not in competition.

Not now. Dennis has his fans, Styx has theirs, and some are fans of both. After more than 20yrs, sane people have moved on from this petty bullshit.

Fans have moved on says the troll who stuck his big nose into a thread that didn’t concern him. The one wrongly calling out Suzanne’s singing started this.

Everyone on this site regardless of their affiliation thinks that’s the most hilarious thing you have ever said and that’s saying something.

Well, that's fine. I made a half dozen people laugh. Cool.

And, he said it is his band. He has said he cried over BNW and because he could have produced it better. He said he could have made a hit out of "I Will Be Your Witness"

I'm happy with the music Styx has made over the years. And, I really don't care much about Dennis does or doesn't do.

“I really do not care much about what Dennis does”. Define much. LOL
You pop up all the time to criticize him, so I would hate to see what it would be like if you did care. What a transparent liar you are.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Are you drunk? You are literally talking in circles and are contradicting yourself.

No, not to list credits or divide money but to define what they constituted as song writing versus arrangement in the first place. Shall I write this slower for you or in another language.

YOU need to get off your meds and actually read and understand what you are saying. Just after you say it is not about credits you start arguing about why they are not getting songwriting credits:

All you are doing is proving my entire point. Even if you use Denis' weird definition of "songwriting", you STILL don't know they entire picture of what went into writing a song. That is a FACT. You taking shots of whiskey and then posting may cause you to believe you are posting the truth, but you're not.

By your ignorant definition Dennis should be credited as a songwriter on Renegade and Boat on the River because of his changes.

I did NOT give any definition. THAT is a flat out LIE on your part. If THE BAND does not want Dennis to get paid royalties for Renegade, then he is not listed as a songwriter.

Did Producer Jimmy Miller claim songwriting credit on Honky Tonk woman for his memorable use of cowbell. Or Mick Jones who came in later and overdubbed his distinctive guitar part. No. These are arrangements not songwriting. Jones followed the chords by Jagger and Richards. However Ringo just read your post and decided to sue John Lennon’s estate for his unforgettable drum part on Ticket to Ride. LOL. LOL. LOL
You are dense.

Are you really this stupid? I am not making that argument.

Dennis never ever claimed he wrote any songs that do not have his name on the copyright.[/b]

So what.
Journey Journey Journey Perry Perry Perry. Look he’s lost all MonkerTroll.

And, you are drunk.

JY called Dennis every six months on behalf of the Panozzo’s not Tommy. They have both said so. The first Dennis heard from Tommy is when he found Jesus and apologized to him for his destructive behavior. Tommy never said he wanted to return until he ran out of album options in the fall of 1987. They have both said that. That is a fact.
Tommy did not, did not contact anyone until he was in his 12 step program in recovery from his drug and alcohol abuse. That’s your hero buddy boy. It wasn’t robots that started his “self medicating” it was his own destructive behavior that stated years before.

We don’t have to guess about 1984 and Dennis’s narcissism.
After Tommy’s rehab we know exactly what happened, he called Dennis to apologize and ask for forgiveness.[/b]

Again, you are just proving my point for me.
If the band was not broke up, JY would not have to call the P brothers every six months.
If the band was not broke up, Dennis would have heard from Tommy much sooner then after he called to apologize.
If the band was not broke up, Tommy would not have to call Dennis multiple times after his solo deal ran out.

The band broke up after KWH. Thank you for proving my point.

Fans have moved on says the troll who stuck his big nose into a thread that didn’t concern him. The one wrongly calling out Suzanne’s singing started this.

Absolutely, because you were being an obnoxious asshole to someone who didn't deserve it.

“I really do not care much about what Dennis does”. Define much. LOL

I define it as caring so little about Ms Anthrope that I couldn't even get myself to listen to the entire song until very recently. I just don't care. So what, he put out a song that sounds like it's from the 70's on an album where the cover looks like he is posing as the Mona Lisa. I haven't listened to the samples, if there are even any available. I don't seek out info on his release. I don't care.

You pop up all the time to criticize him, so I would hate to see what it would be like if you did care. What a transparent liar you are.
[/quote]

Yes, you would hate it. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Or, not, I don't care.

And, I didn't "pop up" in this thread to criticize his release...as YOU did in the Styx thread. I popped up here because I felt you were out of line in your attacks in Jodes post. She pretty much stays out of the fray here. And, as I said, you just want to pick a fight with someone. Well, thank you for playing.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 am

I think that Jodes is a dude. Used to catch for the Cubs. Like Tony Larussa, he's a huge DDY fan. That's why this Jodes is so mystifying. He's like two people yet the same.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:37 pm

Monker wrote:Are you drunk? You are literally talking in circles and are contradicting yourself.

YOU need to get off your meds and actually read and understand what you are saying. Just after you say it is not about credits you start arguing about why they are not getting songwriting credits:

All you are doing is proving my entire point. Even if you use Denis' weird definition of "songwriting", you STILL don't know they entire picture of what went into writing a song. That is a FACT. You taking shots of whiskey and then posting may cause you to believe you are posting the truth, but you're not.

I'm not drunk at all, but I might have one drink since I'm currently spending the week/weekend with a group of friends :roll:

It was not Dennis’s definition of songwriting credits, it was an agreed upon decision by the 3 original writers. For your Dennis must be blamed for everything even Tommy’s drug use. Your ignorant Journey into how Styx credits songwriting was started below by you. Of course with a predictable stop in Perryland. We don’t care about Journey that’s your hang up.

Monker wrote:I did NOT give any definition. THAT is a flat out LIE on your part. If THE BAND does not want Dennis to get paid royalties for Renegade, then he is not listed as a songwriter.

Again you mentioned “who knows if Tommy (certainly not JY cause Tommy is your best girl) came up with some small guitar part”. Well then that’s not songwriting defined by them, once again fool just because Mick Jones played a guitar part on Honky Tonk does not qualify as songwriting in Styx or Stones.

Monker wrote:Are you really this stupid? I am not making that argument.

In your own words below that’s exactly the argument you made “Tommy’s little guitar parts” Again that was your point.

Monker wrote:Again, you are just proving my point for me.
If the band was not broke up, JY would not have to call the P brothers every six months.
If the band was not broke up, Dennis would have heard from Tommy much sooner then after he called to apologize.
If the band was not broke up, Tommy would not have to call Dennis multiple times after his solo deal ran out.

The band broke up after KWH. Thank you for proving my point.

They were NOT broken up. They were hiatus. Four of them were still in touch. Just not Shaw the quitter.
Dennis was waiting for Tommy to wake up so they could all reunite. He wanted them all together like every Styx fan. Except O.A. Monker and his little buddy (Beavis and Buthead in a Nissan)
Everything below can only be seen as points without logic or purpose. But that defines all your posts.

Monker wrote:Absolutely, because you were being an obnoxious asshole to someone who didn't deserve it. And, I didn't "pop up" in this thread to criticize his release...as YOU did in the Styx thread. I popped up here because I felt you were out of line in your attacks in Jodes post. She pretty much stays out of the fray here. And, as I said, you just want to pick a fight with someone. Well, thank you for playing.

I apologize because that’s your function on this forum. No wonder you jumped in “hey stop stealing my schtick Suite. Me Monker I’m the obnoxious asshole on this forum” O.A. Monker.

By the way you obvious don't know that Jodes is male, not female as you keep posting. You've been on this forum for years and you didn't know that? With his post about Suzanne, there was no need and no reason to attack her. If I'm not mistaken, I think that he met both Dennis and Suzanne years ago and they were very nice to him. Unreal!
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:48 pm

Styx never broke up........ but JY was the only one left in the band. :lol:
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 am

FormerDJMike wrote:https://youtu.be/o9Lsbj3TpuM

Interesting at 3:02.

Pretty good song but I honestly don't care for whoever the BG vocalists are.

I did not care for the BG vocals at first. But the more I listened to the song and the lyrics, the BG fit the mood of the song. Still, not a big fan of them, but I see where DDY was going with it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Jodes » Fri May 07, 2021 2:21 pm

Holy fuck did this blow up. I get busy up here with my work and Covid cases going through the roof to come back to this. Jesus.

Wow Suite.. bitter much?

I guess I have to go back and "clarify" a few things that I have been accused of. Wow.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby Jodes » Fri May 07, 2021 2:38 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Jodes wrote:The voice is amazing as usual, but when it gets to the Chorus, hearing Suzanne's voice - it just makes me grit my teeth. That's my biggest beef. Now if someone could mix her voice out of that mix.. IMO that would make it better!

You are listening to Isle of Misanthrope the same way you listen to everything Dennis is involved in with your Tommy idolization goggles and ears. His wife did not sing on that track it’s just Dennis and August. He has said so.

Wow. Tommy Idolization goggles eh? So I guess all of my Dennis Deyoung CDs, including his current one, plus my autographed RTP by him are just for show eh? Who has said it's just it's Dennis and August?

Dennis has said in countless interviews both audio and print that Styx was always a product of all the members. That’s what all bands are. You confuse what countless Styx fans on Facebook have said in praising Dennis that he was the driving force in the band and that to them he was Styx. Dennis has never said that.
Even JY said that in BTM when he said Dennis always believed in the band even when he JY was skeptical and that for the first 10 years Dennis was the very best thing for Styx. That would be from 1972 to 1982.

Not at all. You're assuming a lot aren't you?

Read the comments on YouTube by actual Styx fans if you dare, the raves are over whelming. There’s more Styx music in that song than in the whole of the Mission. Not to mention the intellectual depth leaving of us to once again wonder what was the Mission’s concept.
Your point about working together on songwriting is meaningless when you realize that Styx’s biggest hits where not co written. They all benefitted from each other’s musical contributions to their individual songs which Dennis has said but that’s what bands are for. I just read someone claiming that JY said he made Renegade a rock song which is a lie it was Dennis.

If I dare? Are you 10? So because I don't like the harmonies in Isle I'm not an ACTUAL Styx Fan? Fuck you got some nerve pal.

Finally your references to articles (Tommy and JY have consistently lied about everything for over 20 years which you sadly bought into) and documents of which you have none. We wouldn’t be discussing anyone’s individual contributions if Dennis hadn’t been replaced, we would all still love Styx.
Misanthrope has raised the bar beyond Mars. Just compare the Gone and Silence videos with zero creativity or reference to the concept to what Dennis has produced.

I guess you're going to be waiting a very long time. How about the articles and interviews that they did in the 70s and 80s when they were still in the band? How about comments from Jim Vose and others that worked close with the band that backs up what I said? It must BURN YOUR ASS to know that Styx really took off after Tommy Shaw joined.. Because without him Styx wouldn't be the Styx we would have today. But hey, I get it you're a Dennis fanboy - he can do no wrong. I at least can say that both sides are just as guilty in this messy split.

As for videos, this isn't the 80s or 90s anymore - nobody in this genre makes "good" videos anymore.

As for the part about me being nasty to Suzanne - again another assumption. I have said I don't care for her voice in the mix - that's it. YOU SIR (and I use that term very, very lightly) are the one talking out of your ass. Honestly the conversation was about Tommy's roll in the band and two of his family members (Brother in law and his daughter) jumped down my throat ie "Styx Snooper stirring up the pot" and had NOTHING to do with his wife.

So yeah I think I covered all of the bases. GOT IT?

GOOD

Fuck me.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby Jodes » Fri May 07, 2021 2:44 pm

yogi wrote:I think that Jodes is a dude. Used to catch for the Cubs. Like Tony Larussa, he's a huge DDY fan. That's why this Jodes is so mystifying. He's like two people yet the same.

Umm no. Just a small town Alberta boy who grew up idolizing this band and all of it's members, sometimes I'm wrong like all of us, but holy Christ, to come back after a brutal few weeks here in Alberta to this?

Maybe I need to leave again.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat May 08, 2021 1:55 am

Jodes wrote:
yogi wrote:I think that Jodes is a dude. Used to catch for the Cubs. Like Tony Larussa, he's a huge DDY fan. That's why this Jodes is so mystifying. He's like two people yet the same.

Umm no. Just a small town Alberta boy who grew up idolizing this band and all of it's members, sometimes I'm wrong like all of us, but holy Christ, to come back after a brutal few weeks here in Alberta to this?

Maybe I need to leave again.

Jodes, hang around for a while. I enjoy reading your posts. The "foe" button is actually your friend. Trust me, it works.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Abitaman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:29 am

I must change my original thought on this song. I thought it was good for the most part, did not like the monk part on back up vocals....but now after hearing the CD version, I love the song. I guess what I thought was monk like backing vocals was due to poor quality audio. This is "Styx" at it's best. Rest of the album is Styx at it's best, and Deyoung at is best.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby yogi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:33 am

I liked it a lot off the very very good YouTube video but like you I LOVE it listening to the CD version on headphones. Falls between A Kingdom Ablaze & Crossing the Rubicon. It’s a GREAT STYX song and what I ALWAYS liked best about ‘TRUE STYX’.
yogi
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Styx