DDY Ultimate Classic Rock - The Last Guitar Hero review 5/21

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

DDY Ultimate Classic Rock - The Last Guitar Hero review 5/21

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Wed May 12, 2021 8:40 am

What more needs to be said. It’s all right here. World class rock with meaningful lyrics from the man who was so important to all of us becoming Styx fans.
Listen to this next to COTC. The guitars on Hero are so much better than the weak ones on Crown. And the vocal by Dennis is amazing. Harmonies check, dynamics check, lead guitar the great Tom Morello who burns it up while Styx brings in Billy Bob.

It’s only the beginning, next I’ll print a review from England’s Rock Candy magazine that says it all :)

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/dennis- ... itar-hero/

DENNIS DEYOUNG RELEASES FIERY NEW SINGLE FEATURING TOM MORELLO
BRYAN ROLLIPublished: May 11, 2021

Dennis DeYoung has released a lyric video for his new single, “The Last Guitar Hero,” featuring Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello. The fiery new track will appear on the Styx alum’s final studio album, 26 East, Vol. 2, which arrives on June 11.

The lyrics to “The Last Guitar Hero” focus on a brave six-string shredder who cranks his Marshall stack and rips defiant power chords as an act of resistance against a rapidly digitizing, pop-obsessed music industry. DeYoung takes jabs at the “corporate parasites living off the blood of the creators” and asks, “Is there a place for you and me beyond the lure of technology?” Morello blazes a solo featuring his signature whammy and wah pedals.

In a series of tweets, Morello recalled the way DeYoung recruited him for the track.

“When Dennis DeYoung (the singer of STYX) sheepishly approached me about playing a shredding solo on his song 'The Last Guitar Hero' with the attitude ‘Hi Tom, I’m not sure if you’re familiar with my music but…’ I said, “Stop right there!!,” the Rage Against the Machine rocker admitted. “EVERY single time I’m in my hometown I PACK the jukebox at the local bar with those great Styx songs all night long! Man Of Miracles? Renegade? Suite Madam Blue? Mr. Mother Flippin’ Roboto?! Fellow Illinois rocker, it would be an honor.”

You can watch the lyric video for “The Last Guitar Hero” below.

Dennis DeYoung - "The Last Guitar Hero" featuring Tom Morello - Lyric Video
Subscribe to Ultimate Classic Rock on

“The Last Guitar Hero” comes roughly a month after DeYoung’s last single, the sprawling, six-and-a-half-minute “Isle of Misanthrope.”

“The lyrics are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma,” the singer said of "Isle of Misanthrope" in a statement. "'Isle of Misanthrope' is my musical journey back to the days of Styx’s Equinox and 'Suite Madame Blue,' as I attempt to explain the exasperating and confounding nature of mankind through metaphor. It’s got a good beat but won’t be a hit at the disco."

26 East derives its title from DeYoung’s childhood address in suburban Chicago, where he lived across the street from fellow Styx cofounders Chuck and John Panozzo. The singer put out 26 East, Vol. 1 last May. He originally planned to release both volumes as one album, but he then realized he had enough material to split his swan song into two discs.

"It's gonna be cool. I'm glad I did it," DeYoung told UCR in January when discussing 26 East, Vol. 2. "They're good songs, and that's it! I've got a nice batch, and they're eclectic."

Read More: Dennis DeYoung Releases Fiery New Single Featuring Tom Morello | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/dennis- ... m=referral
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: DDY Ultimate Classic Rock - The Last Guitar Hero review

Postby Monker » Wed May 12, 2021 1:16 pm

Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu May 13, 2021 7:08 am

Monker wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOoeM06Gxk&ab_channel=SeanMorrisonRocks

Finally we get a look at Monker. Quite handsome.
He is a card carrying member of “The Union of Insane Trolls in Cars”.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby LtVanish » Thu May 13, 2021 8:29 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Monker wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOoeM06Gxk&ab_channel=SeanMorrisonRocks

Who listens to this guy? It looks like he sits in his car all day and complains about how long the fast food drive thru lanes are. I kind of figured it was the Monker guy too, not surprised.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Thu May 13, 2021 1:59 pm

LtVanish wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:

Who listens to this guy?

You and Suite did! LOL.

The irony of it is that everything he mentions is EXACTLY what Suite has been constantly whining about since Crown was released. It fucking stupid...and nothing pure jealousy that Styx continues on despite the absence DDY. You can vomit forth this puke but simple truth is that Styx is doing just fine without him...IMO, they are better off without him.
Monker
MP3

Postby Grotelul » Thu May 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Wow. That song is BAD. I'm embarrassed for Dennis. Tom Morello's solo was just a bunch of squealing on his guitar. Really bad. I was expecting so much more from Dennis.

After listening to Isle and this song, this Styx fan will NOT be buying his new record.
Grotelul
LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu May 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Monker wrote:
The irony of it is that everything he mentions is EXACTLY what Suite has been constantly whining about since Crown was released. It fucking stupid...and nothing pure jealousy that Styx continues on despite the absence DDY. You can vomit forth this puke but simple truth is that Styx is doing just fine without him...IMO, they are better off without him.

What do you mean "he mentions" that’s you! Everyone can see that. Monker-Morrison of course, it’s all so clear to everyone now. The more you deny the more pathetic you seem.
The only thing missing is your pimply teenage pal and your rusted Nissan
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu May 13, 2021 10:39 pm

Grotelul wrote:Wow. That song is BAD. I'm embarrassed for Dennis. Tom Morello's solo was just a bunch of squealing on his guitar. Really bad. I was expecting so much more from Dennis.

After listening to Isle and this song, this Styx fan will NOT be buying his new record.

Same here, canceled my order for the vinyl.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri May 14, 2021 6:44 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
Grotelul wrote:Wow. That song is BAD. I'm embarrassed for Dennis. Tom Morello's solo was just a bunch of squealing on his guitar. Really bad. I was expecting so much more from Dennis.

Same here, canceled my order for the vinyl.

“A one a two a boo hoo hoo”. I see you don’t even regret the ignorant August Wilson tribute comment. Apologize “Mr Corny”. You won’t. But you have managed to get your big foot out of your mouth long enough to tell us that because you’ve been exposed as a paid BATHWATER drinking shill that your taking your ball and going home. Boo hoo hoo. CS is not buying the album but he will continue to bash anything Dennis does. He reviews with his eyes never his ears. And now he’s holding his breath till he gets what his way. Grow up little baby. If you don’t like Dennis’s first two releases you were never a Styx fan only a Tommy fan.

Even Tom Morello likes Mr. Roboto and he obviously has great respect for Dennis, read the comments by Tom’s fans on his Facebook 400 plus raving about the song and collaboration. But not you because you read Dennis’s name and that’s all you need to know. Then read the YouTube Hero comments.I dare you.
Then read the YouTube Crash comments, oh sorry they have turned off the comments after initially being on at first when they were buried under an avalanche of well earned criticism.
WHY.? They have never done this before. “A one two Styx hides from the truth”.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri May 14, 2021 8:16 am

The only truth in this lying gibberish from “Groteful the Pitiful” is he’s not buying the album. Someone tell Dennis to sell all his Apple stock and tighten his belt hard days are ahead.

We all know who this troll is, he’s always looking for ways to discredit Dennis. He has no actual opinion beyond Tommy good Dennis Bad. Including anyone who plays with Dennis. Now it’s Tom Morello. Rage Against the Machine was nominated for the Hall this year, I know so what. Styx has Billy Bob lol.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri May 14, 2021 11:42 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:

The only truth in this lying gibberish from “Groteful the Pitiful” is he’s not buying the album. Someone tell Dennis to sell all his Apple stock and tighten his belt hard days are ahead.

The truth is that an OPINION, by its very nature, can NOT be "wrong" or "lying gibberish". I agree with Groteful, it's a very average 80's throwback song - with a 90's guitarist that sounds out of place on both the song and on a DDY album. The commentary is also at least 15yrs too late.

Miss Anthrope was a better song and it is interesting that Frontiers decided to under cut it with a mediocre single like this.

We all know who this troll is, he’s always looking for ways to discredit Dennis. He has no actual opinion beyond Tommy good Dennis Bad. Including anyone who plays with Dennis. Now it’s Tom Morello. Rage Against the Machine was nominated for the Hall this year, I know so what. Styx has Billy Bob lol.

Dude, this is pure projection on your part. EVERYTHING you post is predictable Dennis propaganda.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Fri May 14, 2021 11:51 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Monker wrote:

What do you mean "he mentions" that’s you! Everyone can see that. Monker-Morrison of course, it’s all so clear to everyone now. The more you deny the more pathetic you seem.
The only thing missing is your pimply teenage pal and your rusted Nissan

You can't even comment on the topic and instead go into a weak Ad Hominem attacks...you basically admitted that everything that guy said is EXACTLY what you are doing. In fact, you just started a thread on these very topics! You ARE exactly what this guy describes.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun May 16, 2021 12:35 am

Monker wrote:The truth is that an OPINION, by its very nature, can NOT be "wrong" or "lying gibberish".

No, It’s Not Your Opinion. You’re Just Wrong!

Here's an older article about Opinion.

https://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it ... ed-7611752

and another article...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... nion-valid

Monker wrote:I agree with Groteful, it's a very average 80's throwback song - with a 90's guitarist that sounds out of place on both the song and on a DDY album. The commentary is also at least 15yrs too late.

Forbes magazine continues to print stories 15 years old. Says Sean Monker

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/ ... 21788d1a52

Dennis first wrote about this issue of technology in 1982 in a song you hate. Try spending more time outside your car, technology is more of a problem today than 1982. You of all people complain about my “ad hominem” attacks then link us to you in your car and 100 other of your posts where that’s all you do. “Does Dennis DeYoung look like a Mafia hit man”. Etc. Everyone on this site knows that when you’re trapped or frustrated you curse and call people names all the time. Andrew has warned you.
Here and on the Journey site you are despised wherever you go. That explains why you post from your car, you have to keep moving.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:09 am

While I was not a big fan of "Isle" because of the "monks" singing in the chorus. TLGH, is more my style, really like it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Return to Styx