J.Y. Young of STYX - Midwest Beat Interview with Tom Lounges

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

J.Y. Young of STYX - Midwest Beat Interview with Tom Lounges

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:41 pm

Gone is the confidant James Young who had his finger on the pulse of everything Styx.
This is a must listen to interview to understand the current $tyx dynamic. Shocking really shocking. And truly sad.

He admits that Alpha Dog is indeed $haw and Young as I have already posted.
TMB is absolutely positively $haw and Young as well. Chuck is not a full member.
$haw inc. has completely marginalized JY starting with The Mission and the last straw is Evankovich on stage for no apparent reason other than he’s Tommy’s self appointed new member.
JY’s recent performances have been cause for concern with fans everywhere.

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/788126895/ ... om-lounges
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: J.Y. Young of STYX - Midwest Beat Interview with Tom Lou

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:31 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Gone is the confidant James Young who had his finger on the pulse of everything Styx.
This is a must listen to interview to understand the current $tyx dynamic. Shocking really shocking. And truly sad.

TMB is absolutely positively $haw and Young as well. Chuck is not a full member.
$haw inc. has completely marginalized JY starting with The Mission and the last straw is Evankovich on stage for no apparent reason other than he’s Tommy’s self appointed new member.

JY is doing a bunch of interviews to promote the album. You always seem to leave out what JY is dealing with at home. How convenient. Watch this interview with LG for some real insight into how the band is managed and not Queen B’s twisting and spinning a load of crap.
https://youtu.be/t2Ql4xe848U
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:57 am

Right from his website-

"Will Evankovich is a producer, performer and songwriter, best known for his performances with Styx, The Guess Who, rock duo Shaw/Blades, and most recently producing and cowriting Styx "the Mission" as well as The Guess Who "The future is what it used to be" albums released in 2017 & 2018. He is also known for his co-production of Tommy Shaw's (Styx) 2011 debut bluegrass album, "The Great Divide".

Already he is most know for his performances with Styx, over his years with the Guess Who. Pretty soon it's going to be Will Evankovich's Styx featuring a bunch of people you've never heard of. He's only 49 years old, and ready to take over the Styx name.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:22 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Gone is the confidant James Young who had his finger on the pulse of everything Styx.

JY is doing a bunch of interviews to promote the album. You always seem to leave out what JY is dealing with at home. How convenient. Watch this interview with LG for some real insight into how the band is managed and not Queen B’s twisting and spinning a load of crap.

Exactly. And, if you actually LISTEN to the interview, they PRAISE CotC as one of the best Styx albums EVER. They LOVE the new sound. The compare Will and Tommy's partnership to Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman. JY talks about Will and says he is one of the nicest guys he has ever met. And, the last message in the interview from eludes to his family health issues and to live each day to its fullest.

All of this crap of Tommy the dictator is just more drama from people who are ADDICTED to drama...and at the top of that list of people is DDY himself.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:23 am

LtVanish wrote:Right from his website-

"Will Evankovich is a producer, performer and songwriter, best known for his performances with Styx, The Guess Who, rock duo Shaw/Blades, and most recently producing and cowriting Styx "the Mission" as well as The Guess Who "The future is what it used to be" albums released in 2017 & 2018. He is also known for his co-production of Tommy Shaw's (Styx) 2011 debut bluegrass album, "The Great Divide".

Already he is most know for his performances with Styx, over his years with the Guess Who. Pretty soon it's going to be Will Evankovich's Styx featuring a bunch of people you've never heard of. He's only 49 years old, and ready to take over the Styx name.

Good for Will...he deserves it.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:59 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:

CS, We are all saddened by JY’s wife’s health problems. But you want us all to ignore how he treated Dennis when he was seriously ill. Where has your concern been.

Stop making excuses and respond to this defeated man’s role in $tyx in his own words.
We have never heard him sound like this. Gone is the man in charge who knows everything concerning the band. And has no shortage of opinions. Gone gone gone.
He’s out of the loop and he has been that way since the Mission.
You go listen to Gowan’s interview “CS Spinner” he is not $tyx JYis. Or was.
Alpha Dog 2 is Tommy and JY as is TMB as I have said. JY admits there is only one Alpha Dog left. TMB “two man band”.

Tommy diminished JY by making Will his new partner and working in secret for a year on new songs. JY was against the Mission. We can debate if that was wise but no one else has a voice concerning all matters Styx except the two of them. Tommy publicly said JY you don’t matter by making Will the producer when JY has always seen himself as a producer. JY could have said no but he dare not question the King.
And now JY stands on stage in the back watching Shaw’s pal and looking like he’s been run over by a train. The Tommy Train. All aboard or else.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:44 am

Here’s my honest opinion on this topic & only this topic. First off I have not listened to THIS current JY interview. I heard the last one and thought it was excellent.JY did a great job. I’m real sorry what JY’s wife, JY & his family are going thru. Since I listened to the last interview but not this one yet. I’m still gonna comment. I’d compare my insight on this, to listening to 30 sec off each song from a new album then giving an album review. Sorry Suite but I couldn’t resist.

I’ll start my insight off with some questions. If Styx, DDY or any band sells 150,000 copies of a new album plus a bunch of streams of that album & certain songs off their new album do they make money? Is the money worth the time & effort?

With these questions I would venture to guess that JY & Dennis are of the exact same thought process in that it’s just not worth the time & hassle to produce new music. Why???

The hard core 70’s, & 80’s Styx fans( still living) that come to their shows want to hear hits. The super hard core fans ( 100,000 - 150,000) want new material but not so much that it impacts the songs they really want to hear at a concert ( mostly hits with a few surprises). Now, the SUPER SUPER hard cores( US) want to hear NEW MUSIC & deep cuts. But, there isn’t enough of us (that are still alive) spread out around the country to fill up an Arby’s for a concert of new material Shit if Styx or DDY were to do this for like 50 dates at different Arby’s in select cities around the USA they probably couldn’t draw 500 people per date unless they
were to give away free roast beef sandwiches with each ticket sold. JY just like DDY know this and even though they are artists they figure no way is this a good idea. Money trumps new art at this point in their careers.

Because of Jim P, & Will E we got new material from Dennis & Tommy. Had there been no Covid the rest of the players in DDY’s & Tommy’s bands could of cared less about creating new material. Tommy’s now very creative because of Will’s push, Dennis is done.

As for JY he just wants to play live as the Grandfather of Styx. He doesn’t care that it’s now Tommy’s band. But he does want to play live as a great escape for life’s trials & as the now what he feels his role is the gatekeeper of Styx. I think he feels a responsibility to be there at the shows.

My 2 cents. I’m not gonna proof this & it may make 0 sense.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:29 am

yogi wrote:Here’s my honest opinion on this topic & only this topic. First off I have not listened to THIS current JY interview. I heard the last one and thought it was excellent.JY did a great job. I’m real sorry what JY’s wife, JY & his family are going thru. Since I listened to the last interview but not this one yet. I’m still gonna comment. I’d compare my insight on this, to listening to 30 sec off each song from a new album then giving an album review. Sorry Suite but I couldn’t resist.

I’ll start my insight off with some questions. If Styx, DDY or any band sells 150,000 copies of a new album plus a bunch of streams of that album & certain songs off their new album do they make money? Is the money worth the time & effort?

With these questions I would venture to guess that JY & Dennis are of the exact same thought process in that it’s just not worth the time & hassle to produce new music. Why???

The hard core 70’s, & 80’s Styx fans( still living) that come to their shows want to hear hits. The super hard core fans ( 100,000 - 150,000) want new material but not so much that it impacts the songs they really want to hear at a concert ( mostly hits with a few surprises). Now, the SUPER SUPER hard cores( US) want to hear NEW MUSIC & deep cuts. But, there isn’t enough of us (that are still alive) spread out around the country to fill up an Arby’s for a concert of new material Shit if Styx or DDY were to do this for like 50 dates at different Arby’s in select cities around the USA they probably couldn’t draw 500 people per date unless they
were to give away free roast beef sandwiches with each ticket sold.

Because of Jim P, & Will E we got new material from Dennis & Tommy. Had there been no Covid the rest of the players in DDY’s & Tommy’s bands could of cared less about creating new material. Tommy’s now very creative because of Will’s push, Dennis is done.

As for JY he just wants to play live as the Grandfather of Styx. He doesn’t care that it’s now Tommy’s band. But he does want to play live as a great escape for life’s trials & as the now what he feels his role is the gatekeeper of Styx. I think he feels a responsibility to be there at the shows.

I think you are absolutely right.

Another thing JY said is that Alpha Dog 2t is that the "2t" stood for "Tag Team", meaning they were both "Alpha Dogs". He tried to explain that when it came to recording that Tommy has been the "Alpha Dog". But, when it comes to the "business" side of Styx that he is the Alpha Dog. He went off into telling a story of pre-Styx that he wanted to go into business, just not the family business (I can't remember what it was). But, he has a better understanding of Styx as a business than Tommy does so that is where he takes over. When asked about the future and a new album he kinda contradicted some things I have read here and said there was no decision on recording a new album. He explained that there are all these people who rely on Styx touring for their income. So, for right now they have to concentrate and the tour and making the money to pay them. He also mentioned something being planned for next summer but could not announce it just yet. So, JY is pushing for touring, probably through next summer with some special tour package next summer.

So, yes, I think everything you said was correct. And, I will add that Tommy dictating and pushing JY out of the band is exaggerated bullshit.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 am

yogi wrote:Here’s my honest opinion on this topic & only this topic. First off I have not listened to THIS current JY interview. I heard the last one and thought it was excellent.JY did a great job. I’m real sorry what JY’s wife, JY & his family are going thru. Since I listened to the last interview but not this one yet. I’m still gonna comment. I’d compare my insight on this, to listening to 30 sec off each song from a new album then giving an album review. Sorry Suite but I couldn’t resist.

were to give away free roast beef sandwiches with each ticket sold. JY just like DDY know this and even though they are artists they figure no way is this a good idea. Money trumps new art at this point in their careers.

Yogi you really should listen unless your worried that it will taint your appreciation for COTC.
This is like no other interview he has ever given. This is not the man who spoke with Dan Rather. He has no idea about anything involving the band nor the music that has been created.

Sorry but the ability to make money on sales is way beyond my pay grade. The 160,000 total sales figures are available individually on line then just add them up.

JY is in a band and now follows its leader Shaw. Dennis is by himself so it’s apples to oranges although they are both intelligent observant adults. They see the reality of the music business. Dennis chose to record with some encouragement from Jim Peterik.
JY with full power to say no gave in because he knew Tommy has the real power not him and he had no choice. He has said in interviews that he was not in favor of new music.
All $haw inc. BATHWATER drinkers this is what a dictator actually looks like.

Here’s where we disagree.
Until this interview and a similar one at KSHE, there may be others, he has never sounded like this. Again please listen.
I think he absolutely cares that it’s Tommy’s band. If it were you Yogi you would care just like anyone would. The Godfather as he calls himself claims to be the only member to play every show until recently. Of course he cares. He never counted on Tommy working in secret. As I have said before, look at Alpha Dog 2 and TMB they are equal partners in both companies. There are no others. No Chuck. JY never imagined that Tommy would join up with Will Evankovich behind his back, proclaim him producer then put him on stage. But he did. JY considers himself a producer.

If JY only wants to play live he has a strange way of showing it. Please watch the recent shows, he looks miserable and many fans are commenting and are concerned.
I believe Will being on stage is understandably too much for his ego. I do not think he wanted that. Especially because it’s another guitar player. After listening to JY interviews for 20 years I don’t understand how his personality and his over the top image of himself would allow that unless he felt powerless.
He has gone from the caretaker to the man who walks behind the king holding his mantle.
Please listen to the interview.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:15 am

I’m gonna listen. We are just getting back from vacation.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ztyxlynne » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:50 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:

Yogi you really should listen unless your worried that it will taint your appreciation for COTC.
This is like no other interview he has ever given. This is not the man who spoke with Dan Rather. He has no idea about anything involving the band nor the music that has been created.

Sorry but the ability to make money on sales is way beyond my pay grade. The 160,000 total sales figures are available individually on line then just add them up.

JY is in a band and now follows its leader Shaw. Dennis is by himself so it’s apples to oranges although they are both intelligent observant adults. They see the reality of the music business. Dennis chose to record with some encouragement from Jim Peterik.
JY with full power to say no gave in because he knew Tommy has the real power not him and he had no choice. He has said in interviews that he was not in favor of new music.
All $haw inc. BATHWATER drinkers this is what a dictator actually looks like.

Here’s where we disagree.
Until this interview and a similar one at KSHE, there may be others, he has never sounded like this. Again please listen.
I think he absolutely cares that it’s Tommy’s band. If it were you Yogi you would care just like anyone would. The Godfather as he calls himself claims to be the only member to play every show until recently. Of course he cares. He never counted on Tommy working in secret. As I have said before, look at Alpha Dog 2 and TMB they are equal partners in both companies. There are no others. No Chuck. JY never imagined that Tommy would join up with Will Evankovich behind his back, proclaim him producer then put him on stage. But he did. JY considers himself a producer.

If JY only wants to play live he has a strange way of showing it. Please watch the recent shows, he looks miserable and many fans are commenting and are concerned.
I believe Will being on stage is understandably too much for his ego. I do not think he wanted that. Especially because it’s another guitar player. After listening to JY interviews for 20 years I don’t understand how his personality and his over the top image of himself would allow that unless he felt powerless.
He has gone from the caretaker to the man who walks behind the king holding his mantle.
Please listen to the interview.

I have said this before, Will will replace JY when he retires. I believe thats why he is on stage more and more.He sounds tired unfourtunatly. He needs to be with his wife more as he should be..
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:58 am

ztyxlynne wrote: I have said this before, Will will replace JY when he retires. I believe thats why he is on stage more and more.He sounds tired unfourtunatly. He needs to be with his wife more as he should be..

If this is the direction, IMO, he'll become a bit like Chuck and be a part time player but he will still be a partner in the business of Styx. If you listen to the interview, he seems very much more interested in the business side of Styx than the writing/recording side.
Monker
MP3

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:04 am

Is there any good footage of Will really playing and/or singing? Does he have the chops and vocal ability to replace JY? So far he certainly hasn’t been utilized in such a way.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby ztyxlynne » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:18 am

Archetype wrote:Is there any good footage of Will really playing and/or singing? Does he have the chops and vocal ability to replace JY? So far he certainly hasn’t been utilized in such a way.

I have looked at Guess Who shows on You Tube. I see him singing back up and lead guitar. He sings back up on Mission, COTC, and I believe Tommys solo shows. So he must have a good voice. No dig on JY but he cant be worse than him, but how would he be on Miss Armerica??

BTW, I see Rudy Sarzo who was Will's bandmate in The Guess Who is going back Quiot Riot. So thats probably why Will is touring with Styx and it would be logical for him to replece JY. I think it'll happen sooner than later also, and dont forget. In the past it seemed like it was JY holding up Styx from releasing new music. So Will might be a shot in the arm they need.

I also found it very interesting that he has almost no timeline and when any of these new songs were made including once even left over from The Mission. So is he that much out of the loop??
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:36 am

ztyxlynne wrote:
Archetype wrote:Is there any good footage of Will really playing and/or singing? Does he have the chops and vocal ability to replace JY? So far he certainly hasn’t been utilized in such a way.

I have looked at Guess Who shows on You Tube. I see him singing back up and lead guitar. He sings back up on Mission, COTC, and I believe Tommys solo shows. So he must have a good voice. No dig on JY but he cant be worse than him, but how would he be on Miss Armerica??

BTW, I see Rudy Sarzo who was Will's bandmate in The Guess Who is going back Quiot Riot. So thats probably why Will is touring with Styx and it would be logical for him to replece JY. I think it'll happen sooner than later also, and dont forget. In the past it seemed like it was JY holding up Styx from releasing new music. So Will might be a shot in the arm they need.

I also found it very interesting that he has almost no timeline and when any of these new songs were made including once even left over from The Mission. So is he that much out of the loop??

As he tried to explain, these songs were written and recorded well over a year ago. Also, he is in Chicago and JY and Tommy are in Nashville so its easier for them to work together. It sounds to me like JY doesn't want to be away from home for recording...though touring does the same thing. JY did have timelines when it came to touring...into next year and something special he can't talk about yet for the summer. So, writing/recording, yeah, he's a bit out of it. Touring, he doesn't seem to be.
Monker
MP3

Postby LtVanish » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:52 am

I think next summer will be JY's retirement announcement, probably another package tour opening for REO, Foreigner and Tesla. JY and Chuck will get wheeled out on special occasions. You can see this coming a mile away.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:28 pm

ztyxlynne wrote:

Not sure I could ever enjoy The Guess Who unless Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings were there :P
StyxGuy
LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:03 am

StyxGuy wrote:
ztyxlynne wrote:

Not sure I could ever enjoy The Guess Who unless Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings were there :P

You’re Styxguy
In honor of WE $tyx is officially changing their name to The Guess Who, as in guess who’s in the band.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:14 am

Suite- I had heard this interview before. I’m pretty sure ChicagoStyx posted it on another ‘Assembly Line’. I thought this one was a a different JY interview.

Great interview. The guy doing it did a great job and is a BIG Styx fan. He knows all the ins & outs of Styx from way way back. He actually seemed to know more Styx history than JY did. Had a couple of my growing up buddies go to the MN show that night. They both texted me after and said Styx was GREAT.

As per the interview JY was fantastic. To me he seems perfectly at ease & aware that Tommy is now the sole Alpha Dog. JYs got a lot on his plate and I’m guessing that touring keeps him in a good happy place & is probably his main reliever of stress during this brutal time for his wife & entire family. I believe with his personal situation he’s happy to be The Godfather up on stage overseeing the band, and earning some $$$. This is his great escape from a current painful reality. That’s how I see it.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:35 am

Listened to this interview last night. I absolutely do not get any indication that JY is unhappy or anything like that. No idea where all this alarm is coming from.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:34 am

yogi wrote:Suite- I had heard this interview before. I’m pretty sure ChicagoStyx posted it on another ‘Assembly Line’. I thought this one was a a different JY interview.

Great interview. The guy doing it did a great job and is a BIG Styx fan. He knows all the ins & outs of Styx from way way back. He actually seemed to know more Styx history than JY did. Had a couple of my growing up buddies go to the MN show that night. They both texted me after and said Styx was GREAT.

As per the interview JY was fantastic. To me he seems perfectly at ease & aware that Tommy is now the sole Alpha Dog. JYs got a lot on his plate and I’m guessing that touring keeps him in a good happy place & is probably his main reliever of stress during this brutal time for his wife & entire family. I believe with his personal situation he’s happy to be The Godfather up on stage overseeing the band, and earning some $$$. This is his great escape from a current painful reality. That’s how I see it.

Yogi you must really like COTC and the Mission. I get it. You have always been honest and fair minded and have stood up boldly to liars and bullies on this forum. “The Cotton Bowl” and Dennis’s dismissal as examples.

My point is simple and has always been the fundamental motivation for my posts and that is;
Tommy an JY lied to the fans and replaced Dennis for money. Not Robots or ballads or phony Broadway, or claims of a dictatorship. They did all of that 27 years after the so called ruination of Styx by Dennis. Forget about EOTC and two successful reunion tours and BNW.
Don’t look there look over here.
They started it all on BTM. Very publicly and Dennis had not yet sued them.
HE HAD NOT YET SUED THEM. That is a fact. Watching them attempt to destroy him on TV is what led to the suit. Tommy and JY started it.

They destroyed a loyal fan base and set them against each other, again for money. You have said so. Historically this forum has been a prime repository for all that negativity and character assassination for all three members. Awful. And it continues on all forums everywhere but especially on YouTube. That’s $haw true legacy. He refused to finish BNW without a tour which for the second time caused Styx to crash. JY never refused to keep recording.

For $haw and Young getting the name was not enough, they needed to destroy Dennis, personally and professionally. Why? I’d like your take on this question.
He was never the dictator. He was the leader and they knew it.

---“Classic Rock magazine has just announced that Jim Peterik and Dennis DeYoung have been secretly working on a new Styx concept album for over a year. DeYoung has also said Peterik will be their new producer and will join them onstage as a third guitarist”.

--Tommy and JY were not in favor of this project. Shaw says “I just couldn’t think of any songs about going to the moon”.
Imagine that. Because that’s just what happened but with different names.

--- That is what a dictator does.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:34 am

Ill always know that they lied about a leader & FRIEND in the name of money. There is NO DOUBT that they did that. To me I think that's what upsets Dennis the most. They were his friends for decades and they lied in the name of money. I also know that They TOTALLY lied about the Dallas portion of the TEXXAS JAM. I know that because I was there. Styx & the Kilroy Was Here Tour was why MOST of the people came to that show and most did stay & loved it. Thats a fact. Just like the year prior Journey was the main reason most people came to the show. Many also left after Santana played. No doubt they slandered Dennis name for the sake of $$$$$.

Now with all that said, I truly love all 3 albums of new music that Styx has released since Dennis was slandered and given the boot. But....

Here's where we differ. I can separate him ( Dennis) not being there ( in Styx) from a great album. Even though Dennis is not on the album The Mission & Crash Of The Crown they are BOTH BRILLIANT STYX albums. Crash to me is even better and that's tuff to do because The Mission was GREAT. The reality is..., the courts gave the Styx name to Tommy, JY & Chuck. To me none of the other shit matters I'm just judging the new music that Styx released.

The same holds true with this interview. I've listened to it twice now. JY is not happy with the situation he's in, in regards to his wife being sick and what his entire family is going through. I also think he's happy as hell to get a break from his currently horrible family illness type hopeless situation & get up on stage. Yes there is no longer two Alpha Dogs in Styx, only one which is Tommy. To me, JY seems to think that's exactly how it should be. Tommy is in charge of the band, it's members & it's future which includes new material. I think JY wants to play live as an escape mechanism , make some cash , be the Godfather of Styx and let Tommy handle all the rest of the decisions.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:15 am

My point is simple and has always been the fundamental motivation for my posts

Your motivation for your posts of late is nothing more then your anger and hatred towards JY and Tommy and Styx in general for moving on without Dennis...and your jealousy of how successful they havd been. That is all to evident in almost every post you make.

Tommy an JY lied to the fans and replaced Dennis for money.

They replaced Dennis because he brought nothing worthy of Styx to the table for decades. He was replaced because his head was so wrapped up in Hunchback that he was bringing those songs to Styx. He was replaced because he allied with the label to force the band to record an album even though he could not tour for it. And, there was no end to his illness in sight.

Not Robots or ballads or phony Broadway, or claims of a dictatorship.

All of that was in the build up. It was not what ended his time in Styx, but it should have been a clue to everybody that Dennis had to change his ways.

They did all of that 27 years after the so called ruination of Styx by Dennis.

So what. It's Dennis' history with the band.

Forget about EOTC

Dennis did that without Tommy....even though Tommy asked MULTIPLE times for him to commit to a Styx reunion...and then Dennis TOLD HIM to join DY.

and two successful reunion tours

Which ended up conflicting with Dennis' time on Hunchback.

[quote[ and BNW.[/quote]

Which includes a Hunchback song and crap like Hip-hop-hypocrisy, or whatever.

Don’t look there look over here.

Since the early 90's no matter where you look all you see is Hunchback causing Dennis to be pulled in multiple directions and conflicting with Styx. Even after Styx, he added Hunchback to his solo shows and tried to get a PBS production of it.

I'll say that if Hunchback was not a thing, he would have put more effort into getting Styx a contract and recording a followup to EotC. Instead, Styx went on hold so he could follow his Hunchback fantasy.

By the time of BNW, Dennis was a liability to Styx and HAD to be replaced. When he sued the band he himself FORCED that to happen.

HE HAD NOT YET SUED THEM. That is a fact. Watching them attempt to destroy him on TV is what led to the suit. Tommy and JY started it.

Oh, really. You are saying that Dennis DeYoung sued Styx because of the BTM. You are stating that as a fact?

They destroyed a loyal fan base and set them against each other, again for money.

This is just not true. All you have to do is to read the forums to know that the fans were splitting as far back as Cornerstone. Kilroy caused further rift...some fans think it was the best thing ever and credit it for starting their writing careers. Some absolutely HATE it. Most, like me, are 'meh' about it, think it is not a good 'concept album' when compared to other, a few good songs and a lot of mediocre crap.

EotC even further split the fanbase due to replacing Tommy. There was contraversy over Glen all through the Edge years.

You have NO CLUE what you are talking about here - you never have. You state this as a fact because that is what you WANT to be true. But, you are completely wrong.

That’s $haw true legacy. He refused to finish BNW without a tour which for the second time caused Styx to crash. JY never refused to keep recording.

Not touring for a reunion album is such a STUPID idea. Ask Journey how that goes. Tommy (and the rest of the band, BTW) were absolutely right to refuse to let that one go and to fire the guy who was trying to force it on them.

---“Classic Rock magazine has just announced that Jim Peterik and Dennis DeYoung have been secretly working on a new Styx concept album for over a year. DeYoung has also said Peterik will be their new producer and will join them onstage as a third guitarist”.

--Tommy and JY were not in favor of this project. Shaw says “I just couldn’t think of any songs about going to the moon”.
Imagine that. Because that’s just what happened but with different names.

--- That is what a dictator does.

You are not making any sense AT ALL.

Dennis is NOT in Styx.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:46 am

Styx AD (After Dennis) Is the band I always wanted them to be! I will take the last 2 Styx albums over anything they released after 1978!
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:32 am

Monker wrote:

Oh, really. You are saying that Dennis DeYoung sued Styx because of the BTM. You are stating that as a fact?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... to-968709/

Do you get any money from their ticket sales these days?

We had to come to an agreement. The reason I sued them … and they made this big thing, “They sued me!” They took the name after they replaced me. The used it for a year and a half on the road and I never sued them or said a word to them. They never paid me a dime. And then I saw the Behind the Music segment where they started this campaign of going after my music and me. I cried. I cried and I called my lawyer.

Throughout that year and a half I was hopeful they’d just call me back in and say, “You’re better now, let’s go.” But they were out to get me. The only reason I sued them was to get my share of the Styx name. I’m part owner. I mean, am I starting to sound like a whiner?
StyxGuy
LP

Postby yogi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:57 am

What an ABSOLUTELY GREAT article. I had never seen that before. We must be living in the Corona age because I really never knew that Rolling Stone magazine would write anything about Styx except reviews & articles that absolutely rip the band. WOW!!

Finally I believe EVERY word of this!!! No doubt that’s the true story of what ended the band Styx as most of us know it.

PSS- if you tell a lie long enough and you have the numbers on your side ( JY, Tommy & Chuck ) people will believe it! Truer words have never been spoken.

PSSS- I’ll add one more thing: I truly love The Mission and I love Crash Of The Crown even more. I really really liked Cyclorama. Shit I should every damn member is a world class musician. Their music has variety and that variety to me is what separated and elevated Styx above Journey, Queen , Foreigner, Kanas etc back in the day. That may be false for others but it did for ME. They were by far the best. Their albums now still have that great variety and again they are all world class musicians with 2 world class vocalists. Shit I should like their albums far more.

Dennis on the other hand is a World Class Icon. He’s the damn best. He’s the true SUPERSTAR but I will never like the albums he does NOW as much as I like Styx’s albums now because he doesn’t have the variety. How can I?? Dennis is the only vocalist. It goes back to why I always liked Styx way way more than the other bands I mentioned. Journey, Queen, Foreigner, & Kansas only had one vocalist. At any rate Tommy, JY, Chuck and I will also mention Cahil totally fuc. Ed Dennis. And they are sorry as hell for doing it. That’s it
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:14 am

Everything SMB states in the original post is 100% verified bullshit, just so we are all clear.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Return to Styx