The Same Stardust EP now streaming

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

The Same Stardust EP now streaming

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:28 pm

The Same Stardust EP is now streaming on all platforms. Also available for purchase on Amazon and iTunes.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: The Same Stardust EP now streaming

Postby brywool » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:28 am

Hey regarding these tracks (love SSD)- Have any of the band member said where these tracks would fit if they were on the album? It'd be cool to drop those into COTC rather than having them separate.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:42 am

brywool wrote:Hey regarding these tracks (love SSD)- Have any of the band member said where these tracks would fit if they were on the album? It'd be cool to drop those into COTC rather than having them separate.

Back when the EP was released, either JY or Tommy said that when they were putting together CotC, these two songs really didn'seem to fit. They are just sort of unique. So, they decided to cut them from CotC and the EP came along so they added to it.

IMO, I think it was a good decision with very valid reasons.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:22 am

brywool wrote:Hey regarding these tracks (love SSD)- Have any of the band member said where these tracks would fit if they were on the album? It'd be cool to drop those into COTC rather than having them separate.

I was thinking the same thing. I agree that they really don't fit as well with the other songs but I dropped them in anyway. I put TSS after COTC and AOE after To Those.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:55 pm

I think the Same Stardust would fix perfectly on the album, and would of been the best song on the album as well, it is more catchy and would make a good single to promote.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:10 am

Monker wrote:

Back when the EP was released, either JY or Tommy said that when they were putting together CotC, these two songs really didn'seem to fit. They are just sort of unique. So, they decided to cut them from CotC and the EP came along so they added to it.

IMO, I think it was a good decision with very valid reasons.

https://styxworld.com/blogs/news/the-sa ... ased-today

While “The Same Stardust” and “Age of Entropia” were both essentially recorded during the COTC sessions and were also in the final running to be included on the core album itself — yours truly, your resident Styxologist, was privy to seeing a few of COTC’s trial running-order mockups with these two songs included on the track list — the band ultimately had other plans for them instead.

“These two new songs are not rejects in any way — they’re part of the fold,” guitarist/vocalist Tommy Shaw confirmed with me recently. “We just didn’t have enough room on the 12-inch vinyl for Crash of the Crown to fit them all in. Fans can have themselves an extended version of COTC with them, though!”
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Monker » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:34 pm

And, ChicagoStyx posted a clip from this in the "The Same Stardust" thread below. Here is the full interview:

https://www.thepitchkc.com/styx-bassist ... -the-road/

Here is the relevant quote

Can you tell me a little bit about this The Same Stardust EP that’s coming out for Record Store Day, because it’s got two additional songs that are not on the album? I haven’t had a chance to hear them yet, but I’m curious as to why they didn’t see inclusion on the album proper, but why you like them so much you still wanted to put them out.

This another part of this band that I love: their attention to detail. No stone is left unturned. If something just doesn’t flow, or we don’t need it, or it’s just dead weight, but then all of a sudden you go, “Wait a minute! This is not dead weight. This is really good. Let’s put out.” I think that idea was that simple.

It wasn’t an over-thought marketing scheme or anything. We had music that was intended to all go together and the flow was better with this group of songs and these songs are a little bit different. It’s that simple. And I think that they’re less proggy. They’re just as good, they just didn’t fit in. It’s not that they weren’t good enough, but the body of the songs were prog-rooted, even if they were halftime songs or there’s a lot of open-air and not a lot of emphasis on crazy progressive time signatures or anything. They still had a prog notion to them, so they cut a couple of the songs that I really liked that were totally non-prog and they were included on that.
Monker
MP3

Postby Archetype » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:15 pm

The live version of Mr. Roboto is awesome. I said that Lawrence would sound awesome singing it the first time I heard his solo 80s synth-pop music years ago. Honestly perhaps better than the original version.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby StyxGuy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:10 am

Archetype wrote:The live version of Mr. Roboto is awesome. I said that Lawrence would sound awesome singing it the first time I heard his solo 80s synth-pop music years ago. Honestly perhaps better than the original version.

Back in 1999/2000 - They would inject a bit of Mr. Roboto into their performance of Edge Of The Century ;)
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Monker » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:25 pm

StyxGuy wrote:
Archetype wrote:The live version of Mr. Roboto is awesome. I said that Lawrence would sound awesome singing it the first time I heard his solo 80s synth-pop music years ago. Honestly perhaps better than the original version.

Back in 1999/2000 - They would inject a bit of Mr. Roboto into their performance of Edge Of The Century ;)

Didn't they have it as part of the CycloMedly as well? I seem to remember Dennis fans making a big deal about the band even playing a few seconds of it in a medly.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:11 am

They absolutely did. Glen had stated that he liked Roboto. I even remember Glen in one interview saying how creative he thought Mr Roboto was and also that he wasn’t the biggest fan of Suite Madame Blue.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby jestor92 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:14 am

I got a chance to listen to the EP today. The Same Stardust is the best thing that they’ve recorded since Cyclorama. I haven’t been a fan of the last two albums save for a couple songs.

The live tracks are terrible with the exception of Radio Silence and Man In the Wilderness. Radio Silence sounds great live if that’s really a live track. The 3 classics, wow they sound so lifeless because of how slow they’re being played. I hope they don’t sound like this live every night.
jestor92
8 Track

Return to Styx