Styx made a year end list of best albums.

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Styx made a year end list of best albums.

Postby Abitaman » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:21 am

https://thefirenote.com/features/staff- ... in-review/
Surprised by the placement, it a good album, their best since Edge. Brave New World was too long (too much filler), Cyo was too non Styx Sounding, Big Band was not officially a Styx CD, and Mission was a concept that did not stick to the mission of telling a good story (the music sounded good, but as a concept it failed. But the new CD has grown on me more and more. Is it a classic Styx CD, no...but it is good. Is it has as good as DDY last 3 solo CDs, no but it is till good, (DDY would have made it better).

Any do you agree with the placements, would Andrew have rated it as high (guess we will never know).
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Re: Styx made a year end list of best albums.

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:11 am

Abitaman wrote:https://thefirenote.com/features/staff-lists/prog-2021-the-year-in-review/
Surprised by the placement, it a good album, their best since Edge. Brave New World was too long (too much filler), Cyo was too non Styx Sounding, Big Band was not officially a Styx CD, and Mission was a concept that did not stick to the mission of telling a good story (the music sounded good, but as a concept it failed. But the new CD has grown on me more and more. Is it a classic Styx CD, no...but it is good. Is it has as good as DDY last 3 solo CDs, no but it is till good, (DDY would have made it better).

Any do you agree with the placements, would Andrew have rated it as high (guess we will never know).

I feel it's the best Styx album since POE. Looking forward to the next one already in the works.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:27 am

Abitaman wrote:https://thefirenote.com/features/staff-lists/prog-2021-the-year-in-review/

Actually, I'm surprised Andrew hasn't reviewed it. Did he review the recent DDY solos?
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:39 am

Andrew said he will review CotC.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:38 am

Monker wrote:Andrew said he will review CotC.

Looking forward to it. I respect his opinion. Always very thoughtful reviews.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:08 am

Did he ever review The Mission or any of DDY's albums ( 100 Years From Now or either 26 East albums)?
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby TageRyche » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:09 am

The album was the #1 pick on Youtuber Brendon Snyder's Top 21 of 2021 video that was released today.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:13 am

TageRyche wrote:The album was the #1 pick on Youtuber Brendon Snyder's Top 21 of 2021 video that was released today.

https://youtu.be/VG1svt7V1ts
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Grotelul » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:18 pm

Edge? Really? It's my least favorite Styx album, including the Wooden Nickel records.
Grotelul
LP

Postby Archetype » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:21 pm

Grotelul wrote:

Edge? Really? It's my least favorite Styx album, including the Wooden Nickel records.

Yeah I really don’t listen to Edge very often at all.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:39 am

Edge hasn't aged well with me. I used to at least like the Glen singles....especially when he toured for Cyclorama...but now they are just ok to me. The only song I really like is Not Dead Yet.

Also, I don't think Dennis would have made COTC better. He would not have embraced the Progressive sound, according to the one interview he never bought into Styx as a Progressive band. I also doubt very much he would have given so much control of the writing and concept to Will. CotC would not be possible with Dennis in the band.
Monker
MP3

Postby Archetype » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:13 am

Love At First Sight gets very sporadic play with me. Other than that the album is pretty unremarkable. Show Me The Way is so overplayed that I’m burned out on it, too.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Return to Styx