Hypocrishaw the ballads

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Hypocrishaw the ballads

Postby yogi » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:42 am

Just two albums after Babe & First Time we finally got to hear the hard rocking lyrics

“ young girl says no to her fumbling beau”

Sorry I couldn’t resist. I truly loved the Girls With Guns album. Still play it often. The hypocrisy of it all!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:38 pm

yogi wrote:Just two albums after Babe & First Time we finally got to hear the hard rocking lyrics

“ young girl says no to her fumbling beau”

Sorry I couldn’t resist. I truly loved the Girls With Guns album. Still play it often. The hypocrisy of it all!

Or, since it's the topic, it seems to me that "Kiss Me Hello" was written or inspired about his decision to leave Styx.

It seems to me that he struggled with the decision and didn't take it lightly. It also seems he considered if he wouldn't have argued his views on things that maybe things would have gone smoother...but then he was letting someone else be in complete control. But, in the end, he felt he stayed too long in Styx and that things were never going to change for the better regardless of how he acted, or reacted...and it was time to leave and put that dysfunction behind him.

If you had things to do over
Would you do them just the same
Would you maybe see yourself
As just a player in the game

And if hindsight's twenty-twenty
Would it help you see at all
Would you never try the mountain
Are you too afraid you'd fall

And what would you do for the money
What would you do for fun
Would you leave yourself defenseless
Would you get yourself a gun
Ooh kiss me hello
Ooh kiss me hello

Outside it's pouring and there's
No use in ignoring
That I've stayed too long

My hands are shaking
But I can't control my feet
They're making tracks for the door

Do you think you'd try the back roads
Maybe one's less clearly marked
Would you make love in the daylight
Would you come out of the dark

Would you hold your thoughts in silence
Would you free them with a shout
Would you demonstrate your patience
While your destiny's dealt out

Ooh kiss me hello
Ooh kiss me hello

No use in ignoring
Instrumental Solo

No use in ignoring

My hands are shaking
But I can't control my feet
They're making tracks for the door

No more complaining
No refraining from the way
I really wanted to go

Wish me good luck
Kiss me hello
I'm here to stay
I only needed to know

Kiss me hello
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:47 pm

masque wrote:As much as I love those guys, neither of them were prolific enough writers to write albums as good as Styx on their own. They were capable of writing 2-4 songs each that were great for each album. So when they went solo their lack of ability to write a quality album on their own was very apparent.

I disagree with this. 7DZ is a masterful album from beginning to end. It is every bit as good as a Styx album. In addition, 100yrs is also very good. Both proving that Tommy and Dennis can write an album worth of good songs I would also say the same for Tommy's Bluegrass album...it's not quite as good as 7DZ, but it is definitely good from beginning to end.

Coming right out of Styx, you are correct. But, both of them grew past that dysfunction and were able to write on their own. In addition, Tommy did it in DY, proving he could have hit songs in a completely different band than Styx - and get along well with his bandmates. IMO, "Come Again" is just as iconic for Tommy as "Crystal Ball".
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:40 am

Couldn’t agree more Monk. 7 Deadly Zens is GREAT!! One of the best albums I own. The Japanese version has 2 additional tracks that makes the album PERFECT. It’s Tommy Shaw at his total best. Love the album. Stop Knocking, It’s All In How You Say It, Place To Call My Own… too many great songs to list. I’ve got 3 or 4 different Borders VHS tapes of Tommy singing when that album came out too. One with DDY joining him.

100 years from now is also brilliant. That album flows perfectly. Rubicon is one of DDY’s best ever songs.

About to see Styx Sunday night in Houston. Can’t wait
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:17 am

Monker wrote:
Or, since it's the topic, it seems to me that "Kiss Me Hello" was written or inspired about his decision to leave Styx.

It seems to me that he struggled with the decision and didn't take it lightly. It also seems he considered if he wouldn't have argued his views on things that maybe things would have gone smoother...but then he was letting someone else be in complete control. But, in the end, he felt he stayed too long in Styx and that things were never going to change for the better regardless of how he acted, or reacted...and it was time to leave and put that dysfunction behind him.

Tommy’s mommy / fan boy shrink speaks.

Tommy “struggled’ with his addictions is what you mean, which clearly impacted all his decisions and ended up destroying Styx.

COMPLETE CONTROL? ‘Letting someone else be in complete control”.
Tommy had 3 songs on Kilroy 2 were ballads, Dennis had 3 one ballad plus the reprise,
JY had 2 and the music was a group effort. No one had complete control although Dennis had the most which was earned through successful leadership.

COMPLETE CONTROL?
3 years earlier Tommy had stopped FT from being released from Cornerstone by threatening to quit. Dennis ended up on the highway.

Then in order for Dennis to return to Styx he had to promise to tour as much as the band wanted. He did. ‘’Complete control” you claim that’s laughable.

COMPLETE CONTROL?
Cornerstone’s title was Tommy’s idea and he and Dennis each had 4 songs a piece. Babe and BOTR are their most popular videos.

Tommy was under the “complete control’’ of one thing, his addictions and nothing more.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:22 am

Monker wrote:
masque wrote:As much as I love those guys, neither of them were prolific enough writers to write albums as good as Styx on their own. They were capable of writing 2-4 songs each that were great for each album. So when they went solo their lack of ability to write a quality album on their own was very apparent.

I disagree with this. 7DZ is a masterful album from beginning to end. It is every bit as good as a Styx album. In addition, 100yrs is also very good. Both proving that Tommy and Dennis can write an album worth of good songs I would also say the same for Tommy's Bluegrass album...it's not quite as good as 7DZ, but it is definitely good from beginning to end.

Coming right out of Styx, you are correct. But, both of them grew past that dysfunction and were able to write on their own. In addition, Tommy did it in DY, proving he could have hit songs in a completely different band than Styx - and get along well with his bandmates. IMO, "Come Again" is just as iconic for Tommy as "Crystal Ball".

DY’s first album was in 1990 by the end of 93 they were finished. They did 2 albums. One hit song. If Tommy’s ability to be a good band member is your point DY is not a good example of long term relationships. How about Deyoung and the Panozzo’s 1962 till 96 and 99.

You claim Come Again is just as iconic as Crystal Ball. Come again? Seriously? Does anyone else on this site share this belief?

DYSFUNCTION
The “dysfunction” you speak of was primarily of Tommy’s making through his substance abuse problems. If you believe his so called self medicating began with Kilroy he’s admitted it began in the late 70’s.
The DYSFUNCTION started with his stopping of FT ‘S release.
He defied the record company and created a wedge in the band to soothe his bruised ego. NO OTHER BAND MEMBER THREATENED TO QUIT.
The 3 single releases from PO 8 were all Tommy’s and he had no top ten hits. Although Renegade deserved it.
Then Babe is released from Cornerstone and goes to #1 wins PCA with a possible FT follow up. And the Gallop poll finds them America top band. Tommy’s ego couldn’t take it.
And in pure rock protest he write She Cares for PT. Or was that Barry Manilow. Hypocrisy.
I think Metallica is covering it on their next cd because they JUST want to rock.

You admit that both Tommy and Dennis are capable of writing on their own. Congratulations. On YouTube Desert Moon has 21 million views and another video with 10 million. Call Me 3 million.
Tommy’s only entrance with millions is Count On You. A sappy ballad by your definition.

Yogi says that their songwriting is better when together, I agree Dennis and Tommy belong together, Styx.
In fact Tommy’s voice sounded its very best with Dennis there.

Tommy should have never quit unless you mean drugs.
All your excuse making for Shaw comes down to this reality;

NIH
Users take cocaine in binges, in which cocaine is used repeatedly and at increasingly higher doses. This can lead to increased irritability, restlessness, panic attacks, paranoia, and even a full-blown psychosis

And then they destroy great bands
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:47 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Monker wrote:

Tommy’s mommy / fan boy shrink speaks.

Tommy “struggled’ with his addictions is what you mean, which clearly impacted all his decisions and ended up destroying Styx.

COMPLETE CONTROL? ‘Letting someone else be in complete control”.
Tommy had 3 songs on Kilroy 2 were ballads, Dennis had 3 one ballad plus the reprise,
JY had 2 and the music was a group effort. No one had complete control although Dennis had the most which was earned through successful leadership.

COMPLETE CONTROL?
3 years earlier Tommy had stopped FT from being released from Cornerstone by threatening to quit. Dennis ended up on the highway.

Then in order for Dennis to return to Styx he had to promise to tour as much as the band wanted. He did. ‘’Complete control” you claim that’s laughable.

COMPLETE CONTROL?
Cornerstone’s title was Tommy’s idea and he and Dennis each had 4 songs a piece. Babe and BOTR are their most popular videos.

Tommy was under the “complete control’’ of one thing, his addictions and nothing more.

You have issues....I don't even know what you are replying to...because it's not what you quoted from me. Keep talking to your imaginary friends and inventing conversations that do not exist in reality.
Monker
MP3

Previous

Return to Styx