Hypocrishaw the ballads

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Hypocrishaw the ballads

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:10 pm

I've been listening/watching YouTube this week and this video keeps popping up between songs. (Even between my Avenged Sevenfold and Shinedown music :shock: ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMgG1HtZBQY

I haven't seen this video in a long time. Journey has a huge catalog of songs, why would Tommy cover this one? A ballad, a mushy love ballad. He prefers not to perform or record ballads, as he has said publicly over and over.

Then I was playing some Damn Yankees in my mix and Tommy's song "Count on You" pops up. I checked out the views and it has 6,716,275 views! This song has the most views of all of his solo work - another "Manilow" song he wrote.

Hypocrishaw
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: Hypocrishaw the ballads

Postby Monker » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:28 pm

Hey, here is Todd drumming along with Dennis' friend Kevin Chalfant playing Open Arms. Much more recent than a 18yr old cover song from a tribute album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nEcAG_F-u8
Monker
MP3

Postby masque » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:04 am

All I can say to this tireless argument is that if I were in a band coming off an album as great as POE was and my two rock songs, renegade and blue collar man were hits, along with queen of spades now being a part of setlist for my band, I can for sure tell you I would have wanted no part of babe or first time. I would have considered those songs to be not what we should be doing.

And as a writer it’s always easier to accept a boring sappy ballad you have written yourself vs having to accept your musical partner in your band writing them and you having to embrace them.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:06 am

Masque Wrote: All I can say to this tireless argument is that if I were in a band coming off an album as great as POE was and my two rock songs, renegade and blue collar man were hits, along with queen of spades now being a part of setlist for my band, I can for sure tell you I would have wanted no part of babe or first time. I would have considered those songs to be not what we should be doing.

Except Renegade was not a rock song it was an acoustic “America” type song that Dennis envisioned as a rocker.
What stopped Tommy from writing another BCM or Renegade or something in kind for Cornerstone, or PT or KWH. No one.

masque wrote:And as a writer it’s always easier to accept a boring sappy ballad you have written yourself vs having to accept your musical partner in your band writing them and you having to embrace them.

You have defined Tommy’s selfishness perfectly. It’s all about him. If a band member writes a “great sappy ballad” which tens of millions will embrace, don’t do what's good for the group, because it’s all about you.

Again he covered Open Arms the very definition of what he claims he didn’t like. He chose to do it.
Count On You is as sappy and boring as it gets but that’s fine because it’s Tommy.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:45 pm

masque wrote:All I can say to this tireless argument is that if I were in a band coming off an album as great as POE was and my two rock songs, renegade and blue collar man were hits, along with queen of spades now being a part of setlist for my band, I can for sure tell you I would have wanted no part of babe or first time. I would have considered those songs to be not what we should be doing.

And as a writer it’s always easier to accept a boring sappy ballad you have written yourself vs having to accept your musical partner in your band writing them and you having to embrace them.

I agree...and it's funny bringing up "Open Arms". It didn't go over well with Journey any better than Babe did with Styx. Steve Smith said in the BTM that his first reaction was that it sounded kinda "Mary Poppins" to him. Neal Schon hated it and his reaction was "what am I supposed to don on this?" Even John Waite hated an early demo Cain did for the Babys, saying he thought it was too syrupy. Herbie Herbert said that the band, including Jonathan Cain who cowrote the song and it was his idea, stood in the studio and mocked, harassed, and made fun of Steve Perry the entire time he recorded the vocals. Nobody truly believed in the song, except Steve Perry.....until they performed it live and saw the reaction, especially from the girls. And, for some reason, Journey removed it from their live list - they do not play their biggest charting hit.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:49 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Masque Wrote: All I can say to this tireless argument is that if I were in a band coming off an album as great as POE was and my two rock songs, renegade and blue collar man were hits, along with queen of spades now being a part of setlist for my band, I can for sure tell you I would have wanted no part of babe or first time. I would have considered those songs to be not what we should be doing.

Except Renegade was not a rock song it was an acoustic “America” type song that Dennis envisioned as a rocker.
What stopped Tommy from writing another BCM or Renegade or something in kind for Cornerstone, or PT or KWH. No one.

masque wrote:And as a writer it’s always easier to accept a boring sappy ballad you have written yourself vs having to accept your musical partner in your band writing them and you having to embrace them.

You have defined Tommy’s selfishness perfectly. It’s all about him. If a band member writes a “great sappy ballad” which tens of millions will embrace, don’t do what's good for the group, because it’s all about you.

Again he covered Open Arms the very definition of what he claims he didn’t like. He chose to do it.
Count On You is as sappy and boring as it gets but that’s fine because it’s Tommy.

Seems to me that it wasn't just about Tommy Shaw. The only person who wanted Styx to be a kiss-ass corporate rock band chasing hits was Dennis DeYoung. He's the one who got fired - twice.

And, how do you know he was not ASKED to record "Open Arms"? There are at least a half dozen other singers on that tribute CD. Not every could record DSB or Separate Ways, or whatever. It wouldn't surprise me if Tommy was asked to do the song and it wasn't by his choice.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:54 am

Monker wrote:
masque wrote:All I can say to this tireless argument is that if I were in a band coming off an album as great as POE was and my two rock songs, renegade and blue collar man were hits, along with queen of spades now being a part of setlist for my band, I can for sure tell you I would have wanted no part of babe or first time. I would have considered those songs to be not what we should be doing.

I agree...and it's funny bringing up "Open Arms". It didn't go over well with Journey any better than Babe did with Styx. Steve Smith said in the BTM that his first reaction was that it sounded kinda "Mary Poppins" to him. Neal Schon hated it and his reaction was "what am I supposed to don on this?" Even John Waite hated an early demo Cain did for the Babys, saying he thought it was too syrupy. Herbie Herbert said that the band, including Jonathan Cain who cowrote the song and it was his idea, stood in the studio and mocked, harassed, and made fun of Steve Perry the entire time he recorded the vocals. Nobody truly believed in the song, except Steve Perry.....until they performed it live and saw the reaction, especially from the girls. And, for some reason, Journey removed it from their live list - they do not play their biggest charting hit.

Johnathan Cain in his own words.
Oh and there’s that Wurlitzer electric piano again. Get one and write a great ballad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN4xNfZoJr0

When did they remove the song from their live list? It's back on for recent shows in 2022

Also, no one objected to Babe when Styx recorded or released Babe except their manager. Whose greatest contribution to Styx was to never allowed Styx to appear on TV or make live videos.

Below is the setlist from March 12, 2022
Only the Young
Stone in Love
Don't Stop Believin'
Faithfully
Ask the Lonely
Chain Reaction
Who's Crying Now
Mother, Father
(Deen Castronovo lead vocals)
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
Dead or Alive
Lights
Jonathan Cain Piano Solo
Open Arms
Suzanne
(Jason Derlatka lead vocals)
Wheel in the Sky
Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
Be Good to Yourself
Any Way You Want It
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:07 pm

Dude, I don't know what your point(s) even are in this post. It reads like one of those where you are just not all there, like you are drunk or something.

Are you trying to argue Journey with me?

Herbie's comments about Open Arms from a "Classic Rock Revisited" interview:

CRR: The Escape album was definitely the pinnacle for the band commercially; would you say it was artistically as well?

Herbie: That was a d**n fuckin’ good record and Cain did bring some real songwriting talents to the band. We were in the studio making Escape -- and this is another true story -- the guys should be fuckin’ embarrassed out of their minds about this one. Neal and Jon were in the control room behind Kevin Elson and Mike Stone, who were engineering and producing.

Perry was in the booth trying to sing this ballad called “Open Arms.” He is singing his heart out and these guys were just busting his balls, taking cheap shots and calling him Wayne, like Wayne Newton. They were doing all this really derogatory and negative stuff. I go, “What the f**k is the matter with you guys?”
This was a hit song and he was trying to do a monster job of it and here they were taking shots and f**k**g with him. I took them into the lounge and said, “This is unacceptable. He’s obviously written a fabulous song and this is exactly the type of song that will launch a career.” Jon Cain says, “I wrote it.” I said “You wrote the song and you’re taking potshots at him and teasing him, talking about how lame it is? You are a sick fuckin’ dog.”

They didn’t want the track on the record but I insisted on it. I sequenced all the records and I said “I’ll put it as the last song on side two but it’s on there.” Of course, that was the biggest single of their career and the #1 power ballad of all time according to MTV. That was the kind of mentality they had. These guys would have shot themselves in the foot. My mother always told me “Do not cast your pearls before a swine” and I’ll be dammed if I didn’t go and waste my life on a bunch of losers.

Talking "Open Arms" on the BTM...and it backs up what Herbie says above:
https://youtu.be/y9G2k3rxdbk?t=1170

I don't follow every set list they do. They removed Open Arms for the Houston concert, and that was one of the things people whined and cried about on the Rodeo forum.

The bottom line here is you really have an issue. Looking back at your original post, if you can't even look at your YouTube feed without getting upset at Tommy, then the problem isn't Tommy, it's you. Tommy shouldn't even be in your feed if you care so little about him and Styx. The fact is, you must be watching lots of Tommy solo stuff in order for obscure links like "Open Arms" to show up. I search for stuff like that once in a while and he doesn't even show up in my recommended videos.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:13 am

Monker wrote:Dude, I don't know what your point(s) even are in this post. It reads like one of those where you are just not all there, like you are drunk or something.

CRR: The Escape album was definitely the pinnacle for the band commercially; would you say it was artistically as well?

Herbie: That was a d**n fuckin’ good record and Cain did bring some real songwriting talents to the band. We were in the studio making Escape -- and this is another true story -- the guys should be fuckin’ embarrassed out of their minds about this one. Neal and Jon were in the control room behind Kevin Elson and Mike Stone, who were engineering and producing.

Perry was in the booth trying to sing this ballad called “Open Arms.” He is singing his heart out and these guys were just busting his balls, taking cheap shots and calling him Wayne, like Wayne Newton. They were doing all this really derogatory and negative stuff. I go, “What the f**k is the matter with you guys?”
This was a hit song and he was trying to do a monster job of it and here they were taking shots and f**k**g with him. I took them into the lounge and said, “This is unacceptable. He’s obviously written a fabulous song and this is exactly the type of song that will launch a career.” Jon Cain says, “I wrote it.” I said “You wrote the song and you’re taking potshots at him and teasing him, talking about how lame it is? You are a sick fuckin’ dog.”

They didn’t want the track on the record but I insisted on it. I sequenced all the records and I said “I’ll put it as the last song on side two but it’s on there.” Of course, that was the biggest single of their career and the #1 power ballad of all time according to MTV. That was the kind of mentality they had. These guys would have shot themselves in the foot. My mother always told me “Do not cast your pearls before a swine” and I’ll be dammed if I didn’t go and waste my life on a bunch of losers.

I don't follow every set list they do. They removed Open Arms for the Houston concert, and that was one of the things people whined and cried about on the Rodeo forum.

The bottom line here is you really have an issue. Looking back at your original post, if you can't even look at your YouTube feed without getting upset at Tommy, then the problem isn't Tommy, it's you. Tommy shouldn't even be in your feed if you care so little about him and Styx. The fact is, you must be watching lots of Tommy solo stuff in order for obscure links like "Open Arms" to show up. I search for stuff like that once in a while and he doesn't even show up in my recommended videos.

What some Journey members thought about OA is meaningless. Their manager said it best “casting pearls before swine”. Styx was given two great songs Babe and First Time and Tommy oinked, not the whole band just Tommy.

And here’s the point, Tommy records OA the exact kind of song he’s willing to quit Styx over without an ounce of self examination.
Why, because it’s always whatever Tommy wants. And then some here turn a blind eye to the hypocrishaw. Wayne Newton or Barry Manilow same garbage different garbage man. Count On Me is sappy by your definition.

I have Classic Styx in my mix of music, along with solo songs from Dennis and also August from Dennis' band. I also have Journey, Steve Perry and live Journey in my mix too, along with the music I mentioned above.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:19 am

Monker wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:

Seems to me that it wasn't just about Tommy Shaw. The only person who wanted Styx to be a kiss-ass corporate rock band chasing hits was Dennis DeYoung. He's the one who got fired - twice.

And, how do you know he was not ASKED to record "Open Arms"? There are at least a half dozen other singers on that tribute CD. Not every could record DSB or Separate Ways, or whatever. It wouldn't surprise me if Tommy was asked to do the song and it wasn't by his choice.

‘Kiss butt corporate rock band” What are you talking about?
Dennis creates Kilroy something different and forward thinking (the problems plain to see etc.) and yes risky none of which is corporate. They release Roboto instead of DLIE a song that challenges their audience and you call this KA corporate.

Dennis also creates Paradise Theater, a sober look at Americas decline through the metaphor of an old theater and begins and ends the show with a janitor sweeping the stage and you dare call it KA corporate rock. Journey was corporate Styx was unpredictable.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:53 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:What some Journey members thought about OA is meaningless.

It was a direct comparison to your whining about Tommy's comments. If it doesn't matter what Journey said about "Open Arms", it shouldn't matter what Tommy and JY say about Babe and First Time....unless you are a hypocrite who has other mental issues when it comes to Styx.

Their manager said it best “casting pearls before swine”. Styx was given two great songs Babe and First Time and Tommy oinked, not the whole band just Tommy.

Herbie was talking about the ENTIRE BAND. You take the comment completely out of context, leaving off his next line, " I’ll be dammed if I didn’t go and waste my life on a bunch of losers." The BAND did not want to release it, except for Steve Perry - which is what I said.

Also, "First Time" is NOT a "great song". It's a mediocre ballad that Dennis fans completely over rate...because DENNIS over rates it. In fact, I think it sucks even as a ballad. It's fucking BORING. Herbie said "Open Arms" is the type of song that launches careers. "First Time" isn't even close to that. "Babe" really isn't either. "Lady" is.

And here’s the point, Tommy records OA the exact kind of song he’s willing to quit Styx over without an ounce of self examination.

That's really not even a 'point'. It's just an over zealous critique of something Tommy said 20yrs ago...of a song he recorded over 15yrs ago. There is no 'point' to what you are saying...just attempts to insult Tommy and Styx. That's all you do now. You are so obsessed with it that you can't even look at your own YouTube feed without it boiling to the surface. Really sad

Why, because it’s always whatever Tommy wants. And then some here turn a blind eye to the hypocrishaw. Wayne Newton or Barry Manilow same garbage different garbage man. Count On Me is sappy by your definition.

I don't really care. I don't like "Count On Me" anyway.

I have Classic Styx in my mix of music, along with solo songs from Dennis and also August from Dennis' band. I also have Journey, Steve Perry and live Journey in my mix too, along with the music I mentioned above.

And, you also have Tommy Shaw in your feed....unless you are lying. That means you search out, and listen to, Tommy's songs just as much as Styx and Dennis. I doubt I have any of this in my feed. I'll look:

Elden Ring: Ray Lucaria secrets - LOVE Elden Ring, one of the best games I have ever played. I'm sure it is here because I look up different quests and how to get certain items.

CNN story about Putin - Meh, don't care but there are some stories I watch from CNN.

BREAKING! Wakanda Forever Update - I watch lots of Marvel stuff

Julia Zahra, "Just An Illusion" from Beste Zangers - GREAT SONG link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOpSqV9 ... =SterrenNL

Elden Ring: How to get the best Talismans - Ah, Elden Ring again.

TYT: Katie Porter roasts greedy health insurance providers - Meh, I do watch some TYT videos, some are interesting

Browsing through the rest, lots of Elden Ring, some political, a Bill Maher link, a Neil Gaiman video, Orville season 3, Moon Knight, hey an Anneke video...love Anneke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eten8Q ... l=AVROTROS

But, point is, no Tommy, no Dennis, no Styx, no Journey...and there are times I search them out. You have to be OBSESSED with this bullshit argument for it to be in your feed. Sad.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:43 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:‘Kiss butt corporate rock band” What are you talking about?

What I mean is taking control of the band and chasing hit singles. Everything he has said aligns with him wanting Styx to be a kiss ASS corporate rock band...chasing hit singles for the label and $'s. After GI and PoE, they were in a position that they could have released any music they wanted to. Instead of doing that, Dennis wanted to chase the charts. He wanted to change the sound from leaning into Progressive to being a pop-rock band...because it was more popular. He wanted to release more ballads, because ballads become hits. All of that bullshit is what corporate rock bands do. He may as well have hired Neil Diamond to write the songs and Glen Campbell to play guitar...it worked for the Monkees, why not Styx? If that is what was important to him, and people like you, may as well lean into being the ball.

Dennis creates Kilroy something different

Oh, please, it wasn't THAT different. I just watched part of an old Dr. Who episode that had these Roboto looking "robots" going about serving humans, doing work so humans didn't have to..."Let the robot do it, that's what they're here for."
Completely the same concept. Unique...complete bullshit.

and forward thinking (the problems plain to see etc.)

Have you not seen 2001:A Space Odyssey? HAL (the computer) completely takes over the ship, killing the crew one by one, disabling communication to Earth, all because HE controlled all aspects of the ship and was programmed that the "mission" was more important than the crew. Too much technology...please. Or, the entire lesson of "War of the Worlds" was that all of the technology and war machines that man produces were meaningless compared the power of a simple virus. "Too much technology" has been a SciFi trope since the genre began. HG Wells dove into it often. Even going back to Dr. Who, the entire Dalek race came about because of "dehumanizing" a species with technology. Even the Cybermen could be said to "Robotos". In fact, the Cylons in the original Battlestar Galactica have the backstory of a race that created the robotic Cylons as servants but robots rebelled and destroyed their creators.

I could go on and on about this...Dennis did not come up with anything unique or new. The SciFi trope of "too much technology" has been in SciFi since the genre began over 100 years ago. The problem is plain to see, you and Dennis are ignorant.

They release Roboto instead of DLIE a song that challenges their audience and you call this KA corporate.

If you watch "Professor of Rock" interview with Dennis regarding Kilroy, DENNIS himself says that the corporate wigs were BEGGING to release Roboto. Mr. Roboto is ABSOLUTELY corporate rock.

Journey was corporate Styx was unpredictable.

LOL...do you think I'm going to be offended by that? I love how Herbie responds to that...he says something like, "I am an unabashed capitalist and make no apologies for it. It is my job to make maximum dollars, and net dollars, for my clients." HOWEVER, he did NOT dictate the music...when Journey were at their best, Journey made the music and Herbie managed selling it, the band, and the merchandise, video games, CD's, whatever. Journey wasn't chasing hits, writing what Columbia asked them to write, changing sounds to stay popular...they wrote the best music they could and Herbie took it and turned out hit after hit, and a HUGE "ever green" catalog of songs.

Styx going around changing their sound to try to be "unpredictable" or because Dennis felt the genre they were in was heading south, in the end was BAD for the band. Dennis was kissing the corporate asses by trying to generate hits. He has spent the past 20yrs ARGUING that is what he was good at....even though he failed in the end. All they had to do was BE Styx...which meant Captain Dunsel stepping back and letting the BAND be the BAND.
Monker
MP3

Postby Archetype » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:54 pm

Monker wrote:Dude, I don't know what your point(s) even are in this post. It reads like one of those where you are just not all there, like you are drunk or something.

The Houston concert was a very abbreviated set. They only played like 9 or 10 songs. Other than that and perhaps other similar one-off events, I don’t think they’ve ever not played Open Arms at a concert since its release.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:21 am

I would argue that Lady was the first ever Power Ballad.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:01 pm

Styx was given two great songs Babe and First Time and Tommy oinked, not the whole band just Tommy.

First Time sucks!
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:30 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
Styx was given two great songs Babe and First Time and Tommy oinked, not the whole band just Tommy.

First Time sucks!

Oink oink oink! Proclaims CS.
What an incisive, penetrating, razor sharp description of a song. You must have spent hours on this incredible analysis.

In your typical Shaw justifying, rationalizing, absolving, water carrying, excuse making fashion you ignore the thread and say hey look over here! Don’t look at Tommy no no Dennis wrote First Time.
OPEN ARMS was willingly recorded by HYPOCRISHAW! Why? Speak to the topic.

If released First Time would have found the same audience that Babe found and perhaps more. And though not everyone's taste, millions of fans love it when their favorite classic rock band record ballads. We like some variety.

First Time is a power ballad with power chords, power background vocals and a great rock guitar solo. Dennis’s ad lib vocals on the end of the song rock and are some of his finest. I know Manilow comes to mind according to Shaw. What a joke. What Barry song would that be?

First Time is not the issue, recording Open Arms is and writing sappy songs like Count On You is while you denigrate your band mate.
HYPOCRISHAW.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:17 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
First Time sucks!

What an incisive, penetrating, razor sharp description of a song. You must have spent hours on this incredible analysis.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." -- Einstein.

In your typical Shaw justifying, rationalizing, absolving, water carrying, excuse making fashion you ignore the thread and say hey look over here! Don’t look at Tommy no no Dennis wrote First Time.

You must be drunk again and forgot that it was YOU that wrote, "Styx was given two great songs Babe and First Time and Tommy oinked, not the whole band just Tommy."

YOU are the one who brought "First Time" (and "Babe") into this conversation.

YOU are talking about something you know NOTHING about and are applying your own biased and hate inspired theory to it. How do you know that the producers of the tribute album did not ASK Tommy to record that specific song?

If released First Time would have found the same audience that Babe found and perhaps more.

Oh, stop it. You are just repeating Dennis tired argument. It is Dennis himself who repeatedly said, "I don't know nothin'" in an interview about Roboto. The same applies here...HE doesn't know anything, and neither do you. You are talking about an alternate history and guessing how people would react.

IMO, radio would listen to this and think, "what the fuck is this? I'm not playing this 'losing my virginity' bullshit on my station." I think people who may liked Babe would have puked at this song as taking things too far into swooning girly music and would have hated the song. It DOES suck and would have went nowhere.

If it is such a great song, as "great" as Babe, how many times has Dennis decided to play it the past 20yrs? When was the last time STYX played it? Nobody gives a damn about this song, unless Dennis and his zombies want to argue.

And though not everyone's taste, millions of fans love it when their favorite classic rock band record ballads. We like some variety.

Styx wasn't a "classic rock band" in 1979. They were a band following up two hugely successful ROCK albums with GI and PO8. "Babe" wasn't much of a change when you listen to other ballads from previous albums, "Golden Lark" comes to mind. But, "First Time" isn't just taking a turn it's jumping off a cliff and hoping you survive.

First Time is a power ballad

LOL! No, it's not. It's a fucking slow song with mellow music and vocals, and gay sounding harmony vocals at one point.

with power chords

If you were handed a guitar, I bet you couldn't play a power chord. The music in this song is MELLOW, not powerful. Even if it does technically have "power chords", they are not played and produced in the music in a "powerful" way.

power background vocals

There is no power in the background vocals. It reminds me of Air Supply:
https://youtu.be/wj6Qg3zxA6k?list=PLKhy ... yQTFU&t=91

In fact, that line would have found another home in "First Time", exactly the same type of song.

and a great rock guitar solo.

Your definition of "great" is obviously skewed.

Dennis’s ad lib vocals on the end of the song rock

NOTHING about this song rocks.

I know Manilow comes to mind according to Shaw. What a joke. What Barry song would that be?

Don't know...when I started looking, Barry Manilow rocks harder than "First Time". I would say the Air Supply song above is more comparable...but Air Supply is better, they made a career out of that type of song. Styx didn't, thank you Tommy and JY.

First Time is not the issue

It IS the issue - YOU brought it up. You can't stand the fact that Tommy and JY drew a line at an Air Supply wannabe song.

recording Open Arms is

It is on a TRIBUTE ALBUM. I'm sure Tommy felt very thankful after talking to Jonathan Cain to get advice on how to handle Styx' situation with a "sick" lead singer...which Journey had just dealt with regarding Perry....Tommy posted it on the old BLOG page they had back then. Then they did the VH1 Unplugged session with Journey and REO, then the Main Event tour. So, being asked to sing Journey's biggest hit single was probably a huge honor.

and writing sappy songs like Count On You is while you denigrate your band mate.

Did he not write "Count on You" YEARS before making the "we just want to rock" comment?

Seems to me that you just like to spew hatred.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:52 am

First Time rocks harder then Count On You does. Wow it actually does.
Its actually like comparing the AMC Pacer to the AMC Gremlin, and saying the Pacer was sportier. For me both songs were absolute snoozefests. First Time was saved by the last 30 seconds of the song.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:19 am

yogi wrote:First Time rocks harder then Count On You does. Wow it actually does.
Its actually like comparing the AMC Pacer to the AMC Gremlin, and saying the Pacer was sportier. For me both songs were absolute snoozefests. First Time was saved by the last 30 seconds of the song.

You are comparing a song that is over 40yrs old to a song that is 30something years old because of a comment Tommy made over 20yrs ago. And, for me, they are two songs I don't even like very much. So, why does this even matter? It's like reading an article from 2000 comparing a 1978 Ford POS to a 1986 Chevy POS. It is completely irrelevant.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:59 am

Monk we just said the exact same thing in different way. My analogy was 2 of the shittiest cars ever built.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:39 am

Monker wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
First Time sucks!

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." -- Einstein.

You must be drunk again and forgot that it was YOU that wrote, "Styx was given two great songs Babe and First Time and Tommy oinked, not the whole band just Tommy."

YOU are the one who brought "First Time" (and "Babe") into this conversation.

YOU are talking about something you know NOTHING about and are applying your own biased and hate inspired theory to it. How do you know that the producers of the tribute album did not ASK Tommy to record that specific song?

If released First Time would have found the same audience that Babe found and perhaps more.

Oh, stop it. You are just repeating Dennis tired argument. It is Dennis himself who repeatedly said, "I don't know nothin'" in an interview about Roboto. The same applies here...HE doesn't know anything, and neither do you. You are talking about an alternate history and guessing how people would react.

IMO, radio would listen to this and think, "what the fuck is this? I'm not playing this 'losing my virginity' bullshit on my station." I think people who may liked Babe would have puked at this song as taking things too far into swooning girly music and would have hated the song. It DOES suck and would have went nowhere.

If it is such a great song, as "great" as Babe, how many times has Dennis decided to play it the past 20yrs? When was the last time STYX played it? Nobody gives a damn about this song, unless Dennis and his zombies want to argue.

And though not everyone's taste, millions of fans love it when their favorite classic rock band record ballads. We like some variety.

Styx wasn't a "classic rock band" in 1979. They were a band following up two hugely successful ROCK albums with GI and PO8. "Babe" wasn't much of a change when you listen to other ballads from previous albums, "Golden Lark" comes to mind. But, "First Time" isn't just taking a turn it's jumping off a cliff and hoping you survive.

First Time is a power ballad

LOL! No, it's not. It's a fucking slow song with mellow music and vocals, and gay sounding harmony vocals at one point.

with power chords

If you were handed a guitar, I bet you couldn't play a power chord. The music in this song is MELLOW, not powerful. Even if it does technically have "power chords", they are not played and produced in the music in a "powerful" way.

power background vocals

There is no power in the background vocals. It reminds me of Air Supply:
https://youtu.be/wj6Qg3zxA6k?list=PLKhy ... yQTFU&t=91

In fact, that line would have found another home in "First Time", exactly the same type of song.

and a great rock guitar solo.

Your definition of "great" is obviously skewed.

Dennis’s ad lib vocals on the end of the song rock

NOTHING about this song rocks.

I know Manilow comes to mind according to Shaw. What a joke. What Barry song would that be?

Don't know...when I started looking, Barry Manilow rocks harder than "First Time". I would say the Air Supply song above is more comparable...but Air Supply is better, they made a career out of that type of song. Styx didn't, thank you Tommy and JY.

First Time is not the issue

It IS the issue - YOU brought it up. You can't stand the fact that Tommy and JY drew a line at an Air Supply wannabe song.

recording Open Arms is

It is on a TRIBUTE ALBUM. I'm sure Tommy felt very thankful after talking to Jonathan Cain to get advice on how to handle Styx' situation with a "sick" lead singer...which Journey had just dealt with regarding Perry....Tommy posted it on the old BLOG page they had back then. Then they did the VH1 Unplugged session with Journey and REO, then the Main Event tour. So, being asked to sing Journey's biggest hit single was probably a huge honor.

and writing sappy songs like Count On You is while you denigrate your band mate.

Did he not write "Count on You" YEARS before making the "we just want to rock" comment?

Seems to me that you just like to spew hatred.

Hypocrisy is the point not whether it suits your taste or yours Yogi or mine. You refuse to admit what your hero did. He freely recorded OA a great love ballad like Babe after threatening to quit over ballads in 1980.
NO ONE ELSE IN THE BAND THREATENED ONLY THE JEALOUS TOMMY. He then publicly used a false narrative (BTM Manilow) in 2000 to explain why Dennis needed to be replaced while he was sick.
As already stated many times. Hypocrishaw for money and power.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:15 am

So what do you intend to accomplish with all of this whining about what Tommy Shaw chooses to do?
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:25 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Hypocrisy is the point

No it isn't. The point for you is to constantly bring up issues from 40yrs ago, comments from 20yrs ago, and keep them in the forum and talked about. NOBODY but Dennis and his zombies care about such things any longer.

The simple fact is that Styx has release two albums that both their fans enjoy and have even brought critical acclaim. AND, there is talk of the label wanting a third album. The band has moved on, their fans have moved. Dennis and his fans haven't. YOU are proof of that.

You refuse to admit what your hero did.

I don't care about 20yrs ago. I care about what Styx is doing NOW. You have excluded yourself from that. That doesn't mean that everybody has to drop everything and reconsider bullshit from up to 50yrs ago. That is simply exhausting, repetitive, and a dead horse or parrot.

He freely recorded OA a great love ballad like Babe

No it's not like "Babe". The only similarity is they are both ballads. The music and subject are completely different.

after threatening to quit over ballads in 1980.

So what. He was a part of a tribute album for Journey. You DO NOT know how the song was chosen. All you want to do is whine about what happened 40yrs ago and tie the two together. I don't tie them together. I think they are totally different situations spanning nearly 35yrs. It's a bullshit argument that I'm not going to obsess over....which is exactly what you are doing.

NO ONE ELSE IN THE BAND THREATENED ONLY THE JEALOUS TOMMY.

No, but the entire band fired Dennis, twice.

He then publicly used a false narrative (BTM Manilow) in 2000 to explain why Dennis needed to be replaced while he was sick.

Dennis needed to be fired because he was obsessed with Hunchback, made himself sick, couldn't tour, and the label and Dennis forced the band to do things they didn't want to do -- finish the album, and tour. Dennis even put a Hunchback song on BNW. Then he calls it a lie that he was all into theater. Come on. He was putting the band in a place where only HE wanted it to be....and, yes, it started with Babe and "First Time", continued with Roboto, and then again with BNW. The band is better off without him....and he was better off without the band. Consider the FACT that his first years solo he had many Hunchback songs in his live set, promoted Hunchback to public TV, and now at the end has yet another Hunchback opportunity coming. He could do what he wants WITHOUT offending or considering the rest of Styx. In fact, if he were in STThe truth is, IMO, his ego can't handle the FACT that he was fired, and the band is continuing on fine without it. In fact, the band wants nothing to do with him. Dennis, and you, are simply projecting all that anger onto Tommy - because you need somebody to blame and it can't be Dennis.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:15 am

Monker wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Hypocrisy is the point

No it isn't. The point for you is to constantly bring up issues from 40yrs ago, comments from 20yrs ago, and keep them in the forum and talked about. NOBODY but Dennis and his zombies care about such things any longer.

The simple fact is that Styx has release two albums that both their fans enjoy and have even brought critical acclaim. AND, there is talk of the label wanting a third album. The band has moved on, their fans have moved. Dennis and his fans haven't. YOU are proof of that.

This is not about 40 years ago and everyone knows it but 23 years ago when they replaced a sick colleague for money not ballads or robots.

You refuse to admit what your hero did.

I don't care about 20yrs ago. I care about what Styx is doing NOW. You have excluded yourself from that. That doesn't mean that everybody has to drop everything and reconsider bullshit from up to 50yrs ago. That is simply exhausting, repetitive, and a dead horse or parrot.

If I were you I wouldn’t want to go back 20 years either because it points out clearly their lies and b.s. and that YOU and others bought into it.
I repeat! You don’t care about 20 years ago because it exposes the hypocrisy of Shaw and Young’s lies and your idiotic gullibility to what was truly the issue, money.

He freely recorded OA a great love ballad like Babe

No it's not like "Babe". The only similarity is they are both ballads. The music and subject are completely different.

So what. He was a part of a tribute album for Journey. You DO NOT know how the song was chosen. All you want to do is whine about what happened 40yrs ago and tie the two together. I don't tie them together. I think they are totally different situations spanning nearly 35yrs. It's a bullshit argument that I'm not going to obsess over....which is exactly what you are doing.

The point yet again is both OA and Babe are love songs and ballads and are both great. Of course the music is different duh but from the very same genre that Shaw demeaned. He called it “ Barry Manilow territory” then he records OA.
No one made him do it despite your nonsense in making excuses for his decision. Poor Tommy the big bad Producer made him do it and of course the devil.

By the way the subject matter in Babe was mirrored in Faithfully 4 years later, both songs are about separation where one person travels for a living

NO ONE ELSE IN THE BAND THREATENED ONLY THE JEALOUS TOMMY.

No, but the entire band fired Dennis, twice.

If you and others were unhappy with Styx’s musical direction at some point due to Dennis IT STILL HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS BEING REPLACED IN 99. NOTHING.
It was his illness and Shaw and young’s desire to tour and make money. There is nothing wrong with that at all but they lied because saying that they replaced Dennis because he was sick is an awful story.

He then publicly used a false narrative (BTM Manilow) in 2000 to explain why Dennis needed to be replaced while he was sick.

Dennis needed to be fired because he was obsessed with Hunchback, made himself sick, couldn't tour, and the label and Dennis forced the band to do things they didn't want to do -- finish the album, and tour. Dennis even put a Hunchback song on BNW. Then he calls it a lie that he was all into theater. Come on. He was putting the band in a place where only HE wanted it to be....and, yes, it started with Babe and "First Time", continued with Roboto, and then again with BNW. The band is better off without him....and he was better off without the band. Consider the FACT that his first years solo he had many Hunchback songs in his live set, promoted Hunchback to public TV, and now at the end has yet another Hunchback opportunity coming. He could do what he wants WITHOUT offending or considering the rest of Styx. In fact, if he were in STThe truth is, IMO, his ego can't handle the FACT that he was fired, and the band is continuing on fine without it. In fact, the band wants nothing to do with him. Dennis, and you, are simply projecting all that anger onto Tommy - because you need somebody to blame and it can't be Dennis.

“Dennis needed to be fired because he was obsessed with Hunchback, made himself sick”.
MADE HIMSELF SICK. You’re despicable.

Hunchback began while Tommy was still carrying Ted Nugent’s water. The Tommy who cared so much about Styx that he had sold the rights to the name Styx for 5 thousand dollars. The Tommy who would not have considered returning until Dennis called him about Lady.
Dennis became ill while being over worked trying to tour and honor his Hunchback commitment to help Tommy’s dire financial situation. Tommy needed cash. It’s always money.

AGAIN NO TOUR WAS PLANNED FOR 1997 UNTIL SHAW SAID HE NEEDED MONEY.
Styx were suppose to record their studio album that year.

There would have been no reunion tour without Dennis deciding to call Tommy to sing on Lady. But let’s just skip that minor detail because Dennis is always wrong.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:16 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:If I were you I wouldn’t want to go back 20 years either because it points out clearly their lies and b.s. and that YOU and others bought into it.

Did you not read what I said in this post you replied to about why Dennis had to be fired? That I what I believed from the very beginning of all of this. Regardless of what Tommy said, Dennis was fired because of how he put Hunchback at the same, or even higher, priority as Styx. So much so that he made himself sick. When he sued the band, that wrote it in stone, he will never be part of Styx again.

You are so caught up in hating Tommy and JY that you can't see past it. You can't see that YOU are drinking Dennis' Kool Aid and do not look past it. You parrot him over and over again. You are the one who comes in here and repeats those arguments. I'm not.

I repeat! You don’t care about 20 years ago because it exposes the hypocrisy of Shaw and Young’s lies and your idiotic gullibility to what was truly the issue, money.

I don't care about 20yrs ago because it has been rehashed repeatedly, Styx has had two successful releases with a third being asked for by the label. It just doesn't matter any longer.

One more thing about this. Way back then, a friend of mine asked Dennis, "what project of yours are you most proud of?" His answer? Hunchback. Think about that....It was not Grand Illusion, or Kilroy, or Desert Moon, or ANYTHING Styx related. Hunchback is what he was most proud of back in the late 90's. That is where is his mind was...and I have virtually NO DOUBT that is why he was fired. Not because he was sick, not because of Kilroy, not because of ballads, and definitely not because of money (what a farce)...it was because he put Hunchback as high of a priority as Styx, or maybe even higher. Here he was in the late 90's, recording reunion album, and he is much proud of Hunchback.

The point yet again is both OA and Babe are love songs and ballads and are both great.[ Of course the music is different duh but from the very same genre that Shaw demeaned. He called it “ Barry Manilow territory” then he records OA.
No one made him do it despite your nonsense in making excuses for his decision. Poor Tommy the big bad Producer made him do it and of course the devil.

I did not say anybody "made" him do it. I said you have no clue what happened. You are just making shit up based on your biases and hatred of Tommy. IMO, Tommy was probably asked to be a part of it, he said 'yes', and they asked him to perform "Open Arms"...and he did it because; it was a tribute to Journey, "Open Arms" is Journey's most successful single, and he felt honored to do it. You are the one obsessed with inventing connections and attempting to insult Tommy.

By the way the subject matter in Babe was mirrored in Faithfully 4 years later, both songs are about separation where one person travels for a living

I know that, I was actually going to write that "Open Arms" is not like "Babe", "Faithfully" is.

“Dennis needed to be fired because he was obsessed with Hunchback, made himself sick”.
MADE HIMSELF SICK. You’re despicable.

No, you just can't handle the truth.

Dennis became ill while being over worked trying to tour and honor his Hunchback commitment to help Tommy’s dire financial situation. Tommy needed cash. It’s always money.

Those choices are Dennis' choices. Nobody is responsible for Dennis DeYoun'g's choices except Dennis DeYoung. As I said, he put Hunchback at the same, or higher, priority as Styx. He made himself sick by trying to do both full time. NOBODY else is responsible for this decision besides Dennis DeYoung himself. It is typical of a drama queen and narcissist to blame the consequences of their own decisions on somebody else, avoiding taking responsibility for them himself, and making himself the "victim" and someone else the "villian". "Ah, poor Dennis...Snidely Whiplash forced him to tour and make him sick. So, sad." Bullshit, Dennis made the decision to do both.

AGAIN NO TOUR WAS PLANNED FOR 1997 UNTIL SHAW SAID HE NEEDED MONEY.
Styx were suppose to record their studio album that year.

Then Dennis should have put Hunchback on hold until he could give it the time it required without over working himself and becoming sick. The fact that he didn't, imo anyway, is evidence that his priorities had Hunchback and Styx being equals. Tommy and JY NEEDED him to put STYX as the higher priority. He refused, to the point where it affected his health. THAT is what got him fired.

There would have been no reunion tour without Dennis deciding to call Tommy to sing on Lady. But let’s just skip that minor detail because Dennis is always wrong.
[/quote]

There also would have been no reunion tour if Tommy turned him down. But, you ignore that FACT and decide to give credit for the entire reunion to Dennis DeYoung. How arrogant.

The fact is that Tommy didn't have to say 'yes' to Lady. I remember two entries to his blog from back then. The first was talking about being in DY and how Dennis contacting him about the spoof they did about ballads, Jack doing Sister Christian, and Tommy doing Babe, etc. Dennis told him how upsetting it was because that song was special, written for Suzanne, blah, blah, blah. Tommy told him that he would not do that again, but he had no control over what Ted does. After that conversation, DY never did that spoof again.

The second was talking about joining the band. How he showed up and the only thing Dennis had him do was to sing the high part in Lady. After he did that, he didn't have to do anything else because, as Dennis said, if he could sing that part he would have no problem with the rest of the catalog. Then Tommy added about getting the call to add his vocals to Lady '95 and his vocals were not on the original release. So, he went into the studio some 20 odd years later, and hit those notes one more time.

Tommy did not NEED to do either of those things. He could have told Dennis to fuck off, that he could do what he wanted to do in concert. He could have told Dennis that he was in DY, and was planning the Shaw/Blades album. But, he didn't, he did "Lady '95" anyway. In addition, his decision to join Styx broke up DY who tried to replace him for DY3 and it just didn't work.

IMO, Tommy deserves credit for being able to put all the bullshit behind him and try to reunite with Styx. Dennis does not deserve all the credit...and it is incredibly arrogant for him and his minions to even attempt to give it to him.

And, making it all about money is also bullshit. NOTHING would have drawn more $'s then a reunion tour and/or album with Dennis. The fact that they completely discard that option tells me that the $'s argument from Dennis is complete bullshit. Again, he and his zombies can not admit that he was a LOT less important to Styx than he gives himself credit for. They moved on without Captain Dunsel and are better off for it.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:14 am

Wanna know what’s crazy in y’all’s total disagreement on this subject?

You are both dead on correct in the way you view what has transpired and you are both 100% wrong in your assessments.

This is what make America soooooo damn great!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Mon May 09, 2022 1:40 am

Gonna nominate this for about the cringiest argument I’ve ever read on this site
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:14 am

SMB-Count On Me....SUCKS
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby masque » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:42 pm

Who cares if Tommy is selfish? I think it would be extremely difficult to name any successful and famous artist that wasn’t selfish.

DDY is selfish. JY is selfish.

Hell tom petty basically bullied Mike Campbell to quit college because HE wanted him in his band not because Mike really wanted to quit.

Don’t forget that money, fame, people whispering in your ear and cocaine makes most of these artists make lots of bad decisions and contradict themselves. I can easily understand why Tommy and JY didn’t want babe or especially first time to be what people thought was Styx at the time. I can also understand why DDY was ok with it. Who is right or wrong depends on your personal musical taste.

And as far as Tommy being willing to write or cover a ballad years later…….you people are nuts if don’t realize this is mostly about the things I said above. Cocaine, money, power, control and changing as you age means all kinds of crazy shit can happen. And it did.

All I know is that Tommy and DDY’s work is stronger while in Styx than without Styx. Both of them.

As much as I love those guys, neither of them were prolific enough writers to write albums as good as Styx on their own. They were capable of writing 2-4 songs each that were great for each album. So when they went solo their lack of ability to write a quality album on their own was very apparent.

As a result, Tommy was likely sitting around Coke’d out during the making of his second solo album with the record company waiting and him needing to fill up an album and out came count on you. So he used it. I doubt he considers it one of the jewels of his catalog.

And as far as recording a cover of open arms in his 60’s dear lord get a grip. I wish I had a dollar for everything I said or believed when I was 25,35 that I now just don’t feel the same way or really even see as something that matters now in my 50’s. I can only imagine that feeling escalates as you approach 70 like Tommy is doing.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:37 am

masque wrote:Who cares if Tommy is selfish? I think it would be extremely difficult to name any successful and famous artist that wasn’t selfish.

DDY is selfish. JY is selfish.

Hell tom petty basically bullied Mike Campbell to quit college because HE wanted him in his band not because Mike really wanted to quit.

Don’t forget that money, fame, people whispering in your ear and cocaine makes most of these artists make lots of bad decisions and contradict themselves. I can easily understand why Tommy and JY didn’t want babe or especially first time to be what people thought was Styx at the time. I can also understand why DDY was ok with it. Who is right or wrong depends on your personal musical taste.

And as far as Tommy being willing to write or cover a ballad years later…….you people are nuts if don’t realize this is mostly about the things I said above. Cocaine, money, power, control and changing as you age means all kinds of crazy shit can happen. And it did.

All I know is that Tommy and DDY’s work is stronger while in Styx than without Styx. Both of them.

As much as I love those guys, neither of them were prolific enough writers to write albums as good as Styx on their own. They were capable of writing 2-4 songs each that were great for each album. So when they went solo their lack of ability to write a quality album on their own was very apparent.

As a result, Tommy was likely sitting around Coke’d out during the making of his second solo album with the record company waiting and him needing to fill up an album and out came count on you. So he used it. I doubt he considers it one of the jewels of his catalog.

And as far as recording a cover of open arms in his 60’s dear lord get a grip. I wish I had a dollar for everything I said or believed when I was 25,35 that I now just don’t feel the same way or really even see as something that matters now in my 50’s. I can only imagine that feeling escalates as you approach 70 like Tommy is doing.

If you’re selfish and you destroy a great band, Styx fans should care. And that’s what Tommy clearly did.

During the recording of Cornerstone the only song anyone objected to was BOTR and that was JY and their manager.
No band members objected to Babe or First Time during recording unless you have proof because I’ve never heard that.
Only after Babe was #1 and the record company wanted First Time did Tommy threaten to quit. Their manager hated ballads so he undermined their success and fanned the flames of discord.

At first Dennis didn’t realize Babe was anything more than something he did for his wife. Only when others heard it and liked it, including the record company did it become obvious that it was special.

Only one member allowed the trappings of money, fame, drugs and success to destroy the band and that was Tommy.
By saying everyone is selfish and everyone indulged in the rock lifestyle is not only false but appears to be cover for Shaw whose excess ruined everything.
John’s alcohol problems destroyed John not the band.
No other band member had someone whispering in their except Tommy.

Regarding Tommy and Dennis belonging together in a band rather than solo is a point well taken. Which is why people like me want them together.
Remember Dennis didn’t want to be a solo artist and he was against any band member doing solo records.
Tommy could have said he needed some time and just wanted to record a solo record but instead he quit. Selfishness has consequences.

Regarding ballads the actual thread, there would be no issue with Shaw if he had recorded an entire album of them not quit Styx over one.
Barry Manilow?
Does it matter if he was 56 or 66, to you it doesn’t. To other blatant hypocrisy.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Next

Return to Styx