Dennis DeYoung & Styx - Illinois Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Dennis DeYoung & Styx - Illinois Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:30 am

Congratulations to Dennis DeYoung for Songwriting and Dennis again with Styx for being inducted to the Illinois Rock and Roll Museum on Route 66 as 2022 Class of Inductees!

Along with Dennis in songwriting is Jim Peterik

Band/Solo: Styx, Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke, Dan Fogelberg and The New Colony Six

DJ: John Records Landecker
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: Dennis DeYoung & Styx - Illinois Rock & Roll Hall of Fam

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:56 am

Styx was inducted on Saturday night at their show in Tinley Park Illinois
https://youtu.be/5A0YpCeX4i0
https://youtu.be/xbiXyq62_YA
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:14 am

Please correct me if I’m wrong Suite, but it appears that DDY did not attend the ceremony in Joliet on Sunday night. They showed a video of the band getting the award at the concert on Saturday during the ceremony.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:24 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Please correct me if I’m wrong Suite, but it appears that DDY did not attend the ceremony in Joliet on Sunday night. They showed a video of the band getting the award at the concert on Saturday during the ceremony.

When he announced the induction in April he said he would do his best to attend but it seems that he wasn't there.

His mother in law passed away yesterday - the induction ceremony was the day before, so that may have been a reason he didn't attend.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:04 am

StyxGuy wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:Please correct me if I’m wrong Suite, but it appears that DDY did not attend the ceremony in Joliet on Sunday night. They showed a video of the band getting the award at the concert on Saturday during the ceremony.

When he announced the induction in April he said he would do his best to attend but it seems that he wasn't there.

His mother in law passed away yesterday - the induction ceremony was the day before, so that may have been a reason he didn't attend.

Confirmed he did not attend
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:18 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
StyxGuy wrote:

Confirmed he did not attend

He was planning to go and even perform at the ceremony until he broke his clavicle. It's very painful and in his speech he mentioned that he still cannot drive, he's still in Milwaukee.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:30 am

He was planning to go and even perform at the ceremony until he broke his clavicle. It's very painful and in his speech he mentioned that he still cannot drive, he's still in Milwaukee.

Does this mean no tour until 2024? :roll:
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:20 am

This is not the first time that Tommy has described the formation of Styx in that way, without saying "Dennis DeYoung". It is a complete lie to say it is somehow false history. Tommy described the Pannazo's playing and "a neighbor" coming by to see what was going on, and thus Styx began. Yeah, he emphasizes the brothers BECAUSE ONE OF THEM IS IN THE BAND. But, this is the EXACT story that Dennis tells as well So, if Tommy is lying, so is Dennis.

Also, Dennis did not take the high road. He made an insulting post towards Tommy Shaw and therefore the band in general. His passive aggressive bullshit comments are insults. They are the type of backhanded bullshit that controlling narcissists make when a situation does not happen as they like, and they want to control it but can't. He comes across as a whiny little baby who wants the attention that Tommy got when Styx was presented their award..."Oh, look at MY comments compared to the other guys comments..." A tale of two speeches bullshit. If he was a grownup and not wanting to control the situation and was not an obvious narcissist, he would have IGNORED Tommy and made his own "thank you" and let it be. What Dennis did was to take an HONOR that both he and Styx received and belittled it by making it all about him and his bruised ego. What a petty and selfish thing to do.

Dennis SUED THE BAND and now they want NOTHING to do with him. Being nice and mentioning Dennis in the ways that HIS FANS want does nothing but open up the "well, if you guys get along so well, why not get back together..." comments. Then the band has to knock those back down, because it s NEVER going to happen. It also avoids any crazy lawsuits that Dennis might want to come up with, for whatever reason. Tommy does the absolute correct thing by not mentioning his name...let Dennis himself do that.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:23 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:

He should talk to Steve Perry about how to use injuries to bones and such as an excuse to not perform or tour. Then he'll probably never tour again.
Monker
MP3

Postby StyxGuy » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:55 am

Monker wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:

He should talk to Steve Perry about how to use injuries to bones and such as an excuse to not perform or tour. Then he'll probably never tour again.

Pretty certain Perry broke his up and was diagnosed with a degenerative bone condition and required hip replacement surgery - which he was admittedly reluctant to get. The band demanded he get the surgery and give them a timeline, which he wouldn't commit to - so they replaced him.

Dennis has a few weeks of healing - and has no shows planned at this point until late summer/fall outside of a June 18 private event, which will obviously get cancelled.

If Dennis absolutely hated touring I don't think he would have been doing ~50 dates a year for the past decade+
StyxGuy
LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:15 am

Monker wrote:This is not the first time that Tommy has described the formation of Styx in that way, without saying "Dennis DeYoung". It is a complete lie to say it is somehow false history. Tommy described the Pannazo's playing and "a neighbor" coming by to see what was going on, and thus Styx began. Yeah, he emphasizes the brothers BECAUSE ONE OF THEM IS IN THE BAND. But, this is the EXACT story that Dennis tells as well So, if Tommy is lying, so is Dennis.

Also, Dennis did not take the high road. He made an insulting post towards Tommy Shaw and therefore the band in general. His passive aggressive bullshit comments are insults. They are the type of backhanded bullshit that controlling narcissists make when a situation does not happen as they like, and they want to control it but can't. He comes across as a whiny little baby who wants the attention that Tommy got when Styx was presented their award..."Oh, look at MY comments compared to the other guys comments..." A tale of two speeches bullshit. If he was a grownup and not wanting to control the situation and was not an obvious narcissist, he would have IGNORED Tommy and made his own "thank you" and let it be. What Dennis did was to take an HONOR that both he and Styx received and belittled it by making it all about him and his bruised ego. What a petty and selfish thing to do.

Dennis SUED THE BAND and now they want NOTHING to do with him. Being nice and mentioning Dennis in the ways that HIS FANS want does nothing but open up the "well, if you guys get along so well, why not get back together..." comments. Then the band has to knock those back down, because it s NEVER going to happen. It also avoids any crazy lawsuits that Dennis might want to come up with, for whatever reason. Tommy does the absolute correct thing by not mentioning his name...let Dennis himself do that.

Ron Romero chose not to play $haws acceptance speech at the ceremony. But they played Dennis’s. No mention of any Styx members and his respect for Dennis is undeniable.

By the way, Dennis also received an award for Songwriter.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:00 pm

Pretty certain Perry broke his up and was diagnosed with a degenerative bone condition and required hip replacement surgery - which he was admittedly reluctant to get. The band demanded he get the surgery and give them a timeline, which he wouldn't commit to - so they replaced him.

Wow, that is all kinds of wrong, half truths, and guessing.

Perry never claimed to have broke his hip. He said he was biking, hiking, mountain climbing (he said all three in various interviews) in Hawaii. In the BTM he said he felt this sudden pain in his hip,like he had never felt before. The first thing he did was to call Journey's manager. He asked Perry when he would be back. Perry said he didn't even know if he was going to get off the mountain.

So, the story was that Perry 'injured' his hip. That story lasted for many months. He did radio interviews where he said he was better and would be ready to tour. Then he said he has arthritis. That turned into a degenerative bone disease. An injury, arthritis, bone disease are completely different things.

After maybe a year, Neal and Jon did some interviews. They said they had not spoke to Perry in a year. Neal said it was like he dropped off the face of the planet. After some months, it is assumed he was told to get the surgery or be replaced....this may have been done thru attorney's at this point. In the BTM Perry says 'major surgery is not a group decision'. I ask if you took more than a year off work with no contact, wouldn't you be fired too?

Also, Herbie Herbert warned the band before the reunion that Perry had no intention of touring. He knew because of how many canceled dates there were during the FTOSM tour, and how perry demanded to drop the songs two full steps during the Bill Graham concert. Herbie knew his voice would not hold for a Journey tour.

Dennis has a few weeks of healing - and has no shows planned at this point until late summer/fall outside of a June 18 private event, which will obviously get cancelled.

Yep, but that doesn't mean he can't get arthritis, a bone disease, and have an excuse to never tour again.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:40 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Ron Romero chose not to play $haws acceptance speech at the ceremony. But they played Dennis’s. No mention of any Styx members and his respect for Dennis is undeniable.

So what. It doesn't change the FACT that Dennis chose to make passive aggressive insults and attacked Tommy and therefore Styx. It's no different than the bathwater insult that Dennis chose to make towards Styx fans. Dennis chose to turn what should be an honor for both of them into an opportunity to attack and insult and compare the two. What a whiner.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:56 am

Monker wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Ron Romero chose not to play $haws acceptance speech at the ceremony. But they played Dennis’s. No mention of any Styx members and his respect for Dennis is undeniable.

So what. It doesn't change the FACT that Dennis chose to make passive aggressive insults and attacked Tommy and therefore Styx. It's no different than the bathwater insult that Dennis chose to make towards Styx fans. Dennis chose to turn what should be an honor for both of them into an opportunity to attack and insult and compare the two. What a whiner.

This is the only acceptance speech used at the celebration, Dennis’s.

$haw’s was removed and not used because it was contemptible, shameful and without class. He never even thanked the hall of fame let alone styx’s most important member.

You are the biggest BATHWATER drinker.
Passive aggressive, not really after hearing what Shaw said he purposely made fun of Shaw for not mentioning him. Dennis was right about the BATHWATER drinkers and you’re a prime example.

https://youtu.be/Qr20QGkRA-k
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:14 pm

[Quote]
Passive aggressive, not really after hearing what Shaw said he purposely made fun of Shaw for not mentioning him. [\Quote]

Exactly what a passive aggressive narcissist does. Shame, blame and insult others while exaggerating their own importance. That is the exact behavior Dennis has engaged in for the past 20yrs...this is just the latest example.

A mature man would have ignored Tommy. Dennis can't because he has a personality disorder.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:48 pm

Monker wrote:
Passive aggressive, not really after hearing what Shaw said he purposely made fun of Shaw for not mentioning him. [\Quote]

Exactly what a passive aggressive narcissist does. Shame, blame and insult others while exaggerating their own importance. That is the exact behavior Dennis has engaged in for the past 20yrs...this is just the latest example.

A mature man would have ignored Tommy. Dennis can't because he has a personality disorder.

I completely agree. You are spot on Monker. DDY now looks and acts like a bitter old man. It's too bad he didn't choose to fade away with class. Styx on the other hand always takes the high road and does not respond to his childish remarks. They have moved on very nicely without out him. DDY just can't seem to do that even after 23 years! As you can see by the sellout crowds attending the the 2022 summer tour, nobody cares what DDY thinks.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:51 pm

What a startling development BATHWATER 1 AND BATHWATER 2 AGREE. Man in car and Chicago Styx but without Dennis.

Passive aggressive vs AGGRESSIVE AGGRESSIVE you two are jokes.
They have publicly run down Dennis and his music for 22 years in an AGGRESSIVE way. Everyone here knows it. They have been hypocrites and liars for 22 years Mr. Roboto anyone?

Dennis did his speech in advance of the Styx induction not knowing what they would say in a venue which was ten minutes from where he lived for 20 years in front of a Chicago suburban audience.
Tommy isn’t from Illinois the two original members are and they stood their mute because it’s $haws band.

Dennis writes (from his Facebook Page)

The guys in Styx -- John and Chuck Panozzo, John Curulewski, James Young and what’s his name…couldn’t resist, Tommy Shaw -- 5 guys from Illinois and one from Alabama created the music that earned us this honor. So to them I say a heartfelt thanks to a job well done.

Cheers, The man with no name

This is what #1 Mr pee and #2 Mr. poo think is so egregious.
He makes a joke about his omission then mentions $haw which is more than Tommy did.

If you want Dennis to sail away into the sunset tell them to stop the public antagonizing and disrespect.
And take the BATHWATER bubbles out of your ears and listen to his acknowledgement and reverence for the other members. Then read the myriad of comments denouncing Tommy s speech. Then read Ron Romero’s comments. It’s clear who he thinks is important and descent.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:58 pm

Speaking of Ron Romero.........

This is from YouTube under Illinois Rock n Roll Museum Ron Romero. $haw didn’t have the decency to even thank Ron or the Museum and at first called it Chicago. $hameful $haw.

I am a big Dennis DeYoung fan personally and recognize that he is a founder, the major contributing songwriter, the voice and much more of the band. His songs have been a part of the soundtrack to my life. Divorce is bad sometimes. And unfortunately this is one of those times.

We posted my presentation here. But we also posted Dennis’ heartfelt and humorous acceptance speech on The Museum’s YouTube Channel. You can see his sincerity in that video.

Dennis texted me a few times the night of the induction. And we keep in contact frequently. I am confident beyond any doubt that Dennis knows that I respect and love him. I’ve told him many times. He and many others are my inspiration in creating the Museum and our Hall of Fame.

As a fan of the great catalog of music that Styx created over the years with all of it’s members both living and passed, I would love nothing more than to see Dennis play with the band…at least one more time.

Please don’t assume because a graphic was left off that it was any dig at Dennis. I can assure it is not. Had his name been mentioned once, our media team would have put a supportive graphic just like they did for the Panozzo’s when their name was mentioned.

Respectfully,
Founder and Executive Director of the Illinois Rock & Roll Museum, Ron Romero
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:13 am

Monker wrote:This is not the first time that Tommy has described the formation of Styx in that way, without saying "Dennis DeYoung". It is a complete lie to say it is somehow false history. Tommy described the Pannazo's playing and "a neighbor" coming by to see what was going on, and thus Styx began. Yeah, he emphasizes the brothers BECAUSE ONE OF THEM IS IN THE BAND. But, this is the EXACT story that Dennis tells as well So, if Tommy is lying, so is Dennis.

I do not think it was a back handed comment form Dennis.
Yes Dennis tells the same story, but Tommy says some other guy, instead of saying Dennis's name, which is being petty, and in past when mentioning songs, he has throw off Dennis again. It would be like Dennis introducing Crystal Ball with his band and said this was written by the short blond guy in Styx or by JC's replacement. It is wrong, if you can't say the name, don't be in the group or play the music.

Also, from the beginning, I always felt Dennis should have pulled an Asia or Yes and keep using the Styx as Styx with Dennis DeYoung, Dennis DeYoung's Styx, StyxII, Styx Too, or something like that. He should have fought for the name. But he may have though calmer heads would rule a few years down the road.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby yogi » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:37 pm

Couldn’t agree more than with Abitaman’s comments. Once Tommy decided to delve into the history of Styx with his comments he needed to at the very least mention Dennis by name. Whether Tommy likes Dennis or not, from the outset of Tommy joining Styx Dennis Deyoung embraced him and because of Dennis, Tommy was given ( handed) a huge role in Styx.

In Godfather terms, Dennis was Brando & Tommy was Pacino. Dennis gave Tommy the star treatment from day one. The first album and first single were both Tommy led tunes.

For Tommy not to mention Dennis by name when talking about the history of the band was petty, showed Tommy’s insecurities, disrespectful as hell and a total bullshit move by Styx’s now leader. Tommy should be ashamed of his actions.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:09 am

Abitaman wrote:I do not think it was a back handed comment form Dennis.

It doesn't matter what you think. The fact is that it is a passive aggressive insult.

Yes Dennis tells the same story, but Tommy says some other guy, instead of saying Dennis's name, which is being petty,

Tommy said "a neighbor". It is not "petty". It is not a "lie". It is not somehow rewriting history. It is the truth.

[qyuote]It would be like Dennis introducing Crystal Ball with his band and said this was written by the short blond guy in Styx [/quote]

I could imagine Dennis doing that because it is another passive aggressive insult, LOL.

It is wrong, if you can't say the name, don't be in the group or play the music.

Well, it is not up to you, or Dennis. No matter how much you and Dennis want it, you have absolutely no control over Tommy Shaw or Styx.

Also, from the beginning, I always felt Dennis should have pulled an Asia or Yes and keep using the Styx as Styx with Dennis DeYoung, Dennis DeYoung's Styx, StyxII, Styx Too, or something like that. He should have fought for the name. But he may have though calmer heads would rule a few years down the road.

You forget that Dennis sued Styx I doubt very much that how Dennis could use the name was left out of the settlement. If he did do any of the above, whatever corproate entity holds the trademark for "Styx" would take Dennis to court to stop him.

Asia...From what I remember, Wetton/Downes did several albums together. Then Carl Palmer and Steve Howe joined them, which was the original Asia lineup. John Payne was out touring as "Asia". John Payne and the others came to an agreement that the original Asia could have the name and John Payne would tour as "Asia featuring John Payne". Not really a comparable situation to Dennis and Styx. Dennis does not own the name. JY and Tommy do.

Don't know much about the current situation in Yes. But, as discussed here before, back after "Big Generator", Jon Anderson quit the band leaving Trevor Rabin holding the leftovers of Yes. Jon Anderson got together with Steve Howe, Bill Bruford, and Rick Wakeman to form ABWH. They were all original members of Yes...why didn't they use the name? Maybe because Trevor RAbin's version of the band held the rights to it. They all got together for Union anyway.

When Dennis sued the band, he may have got some compensation for his share of the merchandise sold, and maybe some portion of the tours. But, he lost the rights to the name "Styx" forever. "...and the music of Styx" is all he has. That is the entire point of all of his whining and complaining over the past 20yrs.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:13 am

LOL...sounds to me like he is addressing a bunch of over zealous DDY fans complaining about the HOF's not adding DDY's icon to "whatever". Too funny, actuall.

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Speaking of Ron Romero.........

This is from YouTube under Illinois Rock n Roll Museum Ron Romero. $haw didn’t have the decency to even thank Ron or the Museum and at first called it Chicago. $hameful $haw.

I am a big Dennis DeYoung fan personally and recognize that he is a founder, the major contributing songwriter, the voice and much more of the band. His songs have been a part of the soundtrack to my life. Divorce is bad sometimes. And unfortunately this is one of those times.

We posted my presentation here. But we also posted Dennis’ heartfelt and humorous acceptance speech on The Museum’s YouTube Channel. You can see his sincerity in that video.

Dennis texted me a few times the night of the induction. And we keep in contact frequently. I am confident beyond any doubt that Dennis knows that I respect and love him. I’ve told him many times. He and many others are my inspiration in creating the Museum and our Hall of Fame.

As a fan of the great catalog of music that Styx created over the years with all of it’s members both living and passed, I would love nothing more than to see Dennis play with the band…at least one more time.

[b]Please don’t assume because a graphic was left off that it was any dig at Dennis.
I can assure it is not. Had his name been mentioned once, our media team would have put a supportive graphic just like they did for the Panozzo’s when their name was mentioned.

Respectfully,
Founder and Executive Director of the Illinois Rock & Roll Museum, Ron Romero[/b]
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:42 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:What a startling development BATHWATER 1 AND BATHWATER 2 AGREE. Man in car and Chicago Styx but without Dennis.

Passive aggressive vs AGGRESSIVE AGGRESSIVE you two are jokes.
They have publicly run down Dennis and his music for 22 years in an AGGRESSIVE way. Everyone here knows it. They have been hypocrites and liars for 22 years Mr. Roboto anyone?

Dennis did his speech in advance of the Styx induction not knowing what they would say in a venue which was ten minutes from where he lived for 20 years in front of a Chicago suburban audience.
Tommy isn’t from Illinois the two original members are and they stood their mute because it’s $haws band.

Ah, poor Dennis, always a victim and has to hold on to his victimhood for 22yrs and still try to insult his way out of it. That is so sad. :'(

Cry me a river. He made a passive aggressive insult towards Tommy Shaw because he cannot control Tommy, or Styx, and force them to do and say what HE wants them to. You and Dennis both need to grow up.

The guys in Styx -- John and Chuck Panozzo, John Curulewski, James Young and what’s his name…couldn’t resist, Tommy Shaw -- 5 guys from Illinois and one from Alabama created the music that earned us this honor. So to them I say a heartfelt thanks to a job well done.

Cheers, The man with no name

This is what #1 Mr pee and #2 Mr. poo think is so egregious.
He makes a joke about his omission then mentions $haw which is more than Tommy did.

That is EXACTLY what a passive aggressive insult it. Dennis does not have the balls to publicly say, "Tommy did not say my name and as the most important member of Styx, that offends me greatly and he should be ashamed." Even though that is how he feels, he is not man enough to say it so he makes a sarcastic joke about it. THAT IS BEING PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE.

If you want Dennis to sail away into the sunset tell them to stop the public antagonizing and disrespect.

Nobody here controls JY or Tommy.

Let's take another example of Dennis being a passive aggressive insulting narcissitic asshole...

I watched a video a while back where Dennis was asked to share his thought about Gowan. I watched it because it seemed like it would be interesting to hear his comments. What did Dennis say?

First he want on and on about how players are "a dime a dozen". You can always find somebody to play the notes. He saw some video of a 4yr old playing Eddie Van Halan. So, that's all irrelevant.

Then he want on about how Larry was the best Larry Gowan there is. That nobody is a better Larry Gowan than Larry Gowan. And, he went on about that for a couple minutes.

Then he says that he is the best Dennis DeYoung. He belts out a few words from Lady, and then "Come Sail Away". "See what I mean?" he says. He says he watched a lot of videos of people trying to be him, and a couple people come close, but nobody gets there.

What a fucking arrogant prick. First he insults every musician that plays an instrument because he doesn't want to admit that Gowan is a better keyboardist than he is. Then he goes on this weird comparison to basically say that nobody can replace him in Styx. Passive aggressive bullshit and narcissism.

What Dennis doesn't understand is Styx did not just seek out somebody to replace his voice and keyboards, but somebody they could get along with as a band member. Yeah, he needed to be able to play keyboards and sing...but do something that Dennis couldn't - get along well with the band.

....and he never REALLY answered the question.

And take the BATHWATER bubbles out of your ears and listen to his acknowledgement and reverence for the other members. Then read the myriad of comments denouncing Tommy s speech. Then read Ron Romero’s comments. It’s clear who he thinks is important and descent.

How far up Dennis' ass the HOF is is not the question. But, keep squirming around, I'm sure there is room up there for all of you.
Monker
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:10 am

Monker wrote:
Abitaman wrote:I do not think it was a back handed comment form Dennis.

It doesn't matter what you think. The fact is that it is a passive aggressive insult.

Yes Dennis tells the same story, but Tommy says some other guy, instead of saying Dennis's name, which is being petty,

Tommy said "a neighbor". It is not "petty". It is not a "lie". It is not somehow rewriting history. It is the truth.

[qyuote]It would be like Dennis introducing Crystal Ball with his band and said this was written by the short blond guy in Styx

I could imagine Dennis doing that because it is another passive aggressive insult, LOL.

It is wrong, if you can't say the name, don't be in the group or play the music.

Well, it is not up to you, or Dennis. No matter how much you and Dennis want it, you have absolutely no control over Tommy Shaw or Styx.

You forget that Dennis sued Styx I doubt very much that how Dennis could use the name was left out of the settlement. If he did do any of the above, whatever corproate entity holds the trademark for "Styx" would take Dennis to court to stop him.

Asia...From what I remember, Wetton/Downes did several albums together. Then Carl Palmer and Steve Howe joined them, which was the original Asia lineup. John Payne was out touring as "Asia". John Payne and the others came to an agreement that the original Asia could have the name and John Payne would tour as "Asia featuring John Payne". Not really a comparable situation to Dennis and Styx. Dennis does not own the name. JY and Tommy do.

Don't know much about the current situation in Yes. But, as discussed here before, back after "Big Generator", Jon Anderson quit the band leaving Trevor Rabin holding the leftovers of Yes. Jon Anderson got together with Steve Howe, Bill Bruford, and Rick Wakeman to form ABWH. They were all original members of Yes...why didn't they use the name? Maybe because Trevor RAbin's version of the band held the rights to it. They all got together for Union anyway.

When Dennis sued the band, he may have got some compensation for his share of the merchandise sold, and maybe some portion of the tours. But, he lost the rights to the name "Styx" forever. "...and the music of Styx" is all he has. That is the entire point of all of his whining and complaining over the past 20yrs.[/quote]

I did not forget Dennis sued Styx, that is what John Payne did when he agreed to let Wetton use the name for one tour as the original line up of Asia. Yes lead singer Jon lost his voice and could not tour, so they replaced him instead of waiting, he was about to take them to court when they came to the agreement , much like Asia's.

I don't want Dennis back in the back, I want one last tour with him in the band, then they can go their merry way. I want my kids to see the greatest rock band, with it's members of their peak time. Larry can tour with them, Dennis wanted a second keyboardist in 96. Bring Glen back as bassist for that tour too. When tour is over, Styx goes on...
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:11 am

I do not know what is going on, but last post is messed up on quotes, but I am on my CP and it is not working right...
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby StyxGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:44 am

Abitaman wrote:
You forget that Dennis sued Styx I doubt very much that how Dennis could use the name was left out of the settlement. If he did do any of the above, whatever corporate entity holds the trademark for "Styx" would take Dennis to court to stop him.

Dennis is a part owner and CEO of Styx, LTD (known as Gelderdisk, LTD) - he said at the time that he sued because nearly a year and a half went by where they refused to speak to him (I believe both sides were talking through lawyers) - JY countered that until Dennis was committed to the musical and touring direction they wanted (JY and Tommy - with the agreement of Chuck) that there was no discussion to be had and Dennis wasn't welcome back into the band until that happened.

Known aspects of the lawsuit settlement are that Styx (JY, Tommy and crew) are allowed to perform as Styx without Dennis. Dennis can use "formerly of Styx" and "the music of Styx" but cannot call himself "the voice of Styx"

Dennis claimed that he was hoping for reconciliation and the lawsuit was a last ditch attempt at that, however he also mentioned that he was a part-owner of Styx and that since they went on the road without him, he hadn't received any cut of the profits (which he would be legally entitled to - and continues to receive to this day).

Styx Ltd founding documents https://bizfileonline.sos.ca.gov/api/report/GetImageByNum/171097188145158076202184181251064146217117115019

Gelderdisk, LTD documentation showing Chuck, John and Dennis as owners https://bizfileonline.sos.ca.gov/api/report/GetImageByNum/176093134222064235095064212201014173018117206211

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_ca/C0746248
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Monker » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:59 pm

StyxGuy wrote:
Abitaman wrote:
You forget that Dennis sued Styx I doubt very much that how Dennis could use the name was left out of the settlement. If he did do any of the above, whatever corporate entity holds the trademark for "Styx" would take Dennis to court to stop him.

Dennis is a part owner and CEO of Styx, LTD (known as Gelderdisk, LTD) - he said at the time that he sued because nearly a year and a half went by where they refused to speak to him (I believe both sides were talking through lawyers) - JY countered that until Dennis was committed to the musical and touring direction they wanted (JY and Tommy - with the agreement of Chuck) that there was no discussion to be had and Dennis wasn't welcome back into the band until that happened.

Known aspects of the lawsuit settlement are that Styx (JY, Tommy and crew) are allowed to perform as Styx without Dennis. Dennis can use "formerly of Styx" and "the music of Styx" but cannot call himself "the voice of Styx"

Dennis claimed that he was hoping for reconciliation and the lawsuit was a last ditch attempt at that, however he also mentioned that he was a part-owner of Styx and that since they went on the road without him, he hadn't received any cut of the profits (which he would be legally entitled to - and continues to receive to this day).

Styx Ltd founding documents https://bizfileonline.sos.ca.gov/api/report/GetImageByNum/171097188145158076202184181251064146217117115019

Gelderdisk, LTD documentation showing Chuck, John and Dennis as owners https://bizfileonline.sos.ca.gov/api/report/GetImageByNum/176093134222064235095064212201014173018117206211

Yes, Dennis is with Gelderdisk and Styx Ltd. Those corporate entities have to exist so he can get royalties and such from prior Styx albums. As Suite pointed out a while back, a new corporate entity was created after the lawsuit that only includes JY and Tommy. TMB Production, LLC. They had the rights to use the Styx trademark. It was also the corporate entity which was sued years ago when Todd threw a drumstick to the crowd at the end of a show and it hit a lady in the head...they were sued because Todd is an "employee" of that corporate entity...essentially Tommy and JY. Since Regeneration, they use the corporate entity Alpha Dog 2T, LLC. They probably changed because they are now on Universal. But, the fact is Dennis is no longer part owner of the trademark...it is Tommy and JY. The only thing Dennis has is being part owner of old corporations so he can get royalties...but they do not control Styx AT ALL.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:43 pm

Monker wrote:
StyxGuy wrote:
Abitaman wrote:

Yes, Dennis is with Gelderdisk and Styx Ltd. Those corporate entities have to exist so he can get royalties and such from prior Styx albums. As Suite pointed out a while back, a new corporate entity was created after the lawsuit that only includes JY and Tommy. TMB Production, LLC. They had the rights to use the Styx trademark. It was also the corporate entity which was sued years ago when Todd threw a drumstick to the crowd at the end of a show and it hit a lady in the head...they were sued because Todd is an "employee" of that corporate entity...essentially Tommy and JY. Since Regeneration, they use the corporate entity Alpha Dog 2T, LLC. They probably changed because they are now on Universal. But, the fact is Dennis is no longer part owner of the trademark...it is Tommy and JY. The only thing Dennis has is being part owner of old corporations so he can get royalties...but they do not control Styx AT ALL.

The only way DDY profits from current Styx is from increased sales of the back catalog when they tour. I’m sure he is very happy they’re playing 100 dates a year while he sits in his basement bashing them.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:49 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:The only way DDY profits from current Styx is from increased sales of the back catalog when they tour. I’m sure he is very happy they’re playing 100 dates a year while he sits in his basement bashing them.

He should also get paid for any song that is performed (by ANYBODY) that he or his corporate entity has the publishing rights to. I believe the venues take care of that and not Styx. He would also get paid for any merchandise sold that includes those old school images, logos, and such...or his image. I doubt very much that Styx still sells anything like this though, for this very reason.
Monker
MP3

Postby LtVanish » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 am

I think it is obvious DDY has a lot more money than Tommy and JY probably combined. I imagine this has bothered them always and the driving force why they don't want Dennis back in the band. They don't want to pay him more money than he is already getting from them. lol
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Styx