Is DDY Done?

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Is DDY Done?

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:55 am

I see DDY has 5 makeup dates in Canada in September and October (if they actually happen) and only one private show in the US. Looks like he's about done. He apparently has no interest in promoting his newest album other than YouTube interviews from his basement. I plan to see Styx in Chicago and Houston this summer and look forward to their next album!
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: Is DDY Done?

Postby StyxGuy » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:06 am

From what I gather - he's just being super cautious.. The Quebec/Montreal shows are still on sale, so best we can assume is that they're still scheduled but things could change. I would hope any cancellations are done well in advance, either get out there and play or stay home - but don't put stuff up only to pull it.

In one sense, Styx has to tour as they've got a lot of bills to pay and mouths to feed (and they also love touring, that's their life).

Dennis on the other hand, has small team (mostly family I think) and his band gets paid when he has gigs.. which I'm sure even pre-COVID they had other gigs and work.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:58 am

StyxGuy wrote:From what I gather - he's just being super cautious.. The Quebec/Montreal shows are still on sale, so best we can assume is that they're still scheduled but things could change. I would hope any cancellations are done well in advance, either get out there and play or stay home - but don't put stuff up only to pull it.

In one sense, Styx has to tour as they've got a lot of bills to pay and mouths to feed (and they also love touring, that's their life).

Dennis on the other hand, has small team (mostly family I think) and his band gets paid when he has gigs.. which I'm sure even pre-COVID they had other gigs and work.

This sounds correct. Some of his band members may have moved on by now. He may make an appearance at the Illinois Rock hall of fame inductions on June 5th but I don't think he's confirmed anything. The website does not list him as attending yet.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:01 am

I havent made a choice of seeing Styx in Houston or Dallas. It will be one of the two in July
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby LtVanish » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:12 am

DDY is 75 now he maybe just about done. I'm sure he doesn't want to get the virus, even if he is vacinated. Maybe he is an antivax guy? Either way at that age it isn't good.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:27 pm

LtVanish wrote:DDY is 75 now he maybe just about done. I'm sure he doesn't want to get the virus, even if he is vacinated. Maybe he is an antivax guy? Either way at that age it isn't good.

In 1977 I would have never though we would be discussing Styx let alone going to see them perform when they are in their 70s. It goes to show you how the music of that era has stood the test of time.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:22 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
LtVanish wrote:DDY is 75 now he maybe just about done. I'm sure he doesn't want to get the virus, even if he is vacinated. Maybe he is an antivax guy? Either way at that age it isn't good.

In 1977 I would have never though we would be discussing Styx let alone going to see them perform when they are in their 70s. It goes to show you how the music of that era has stood the test of time.

Not only that we are lucky these guys are still around and not ended up like John Panazzo. The rest of the band seems to really take care of themselves well. They all must eat pretty healthy and excersize.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:08 am

Given Dennis’s experience with a viral infection in the late 1990s, I can understand why he’s apprehensive about returning to normal. Compound that with the fact that he’s 75, has already stated that he’s done recording, and most of his band members are deeply entrenched in new projects, it’s safe to say we aren’t going to be seeing much of him.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:18 am

Archetype wrote:Given Dennis’s experience with a viral infection in the late 1990s, I can understand why he’s apprehensive about returning to normal. Compound that with the fact that he’s 75, has already stated that he’s done recording, and most of his band members are deeply entrenched in new projects, it’s safe to say we aren’t going to be seeing much of him.

I do wish the 4 of them could have attended the Illinois R&R induction event on June 5th.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx