POE

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

POE

Postby yogi » Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 pm

Dusted off my Pieces Of Eight CD a couple of days ago. I've been listening to it non stop on my drives to & from work since Monday. The album is brilliant. if it were the actual album Side 2 is absolutely incredible. Side 1 is pretty damn good too.

Got a question I've never heard asked and as far as I know its never been talked about. The song Sing For The Day never cracked the top 40 ( its was really a different type of song for Styx at). If I remember correctly it sat @ 41 for week or 2. Also, if I'm correct and I no longer have the single which I once owed as a kid, wasnt Renegade the B side? Thats crazy. Here's my real questions. Doesnt Tommy Shaw have a daughter Hannah? Is she the inspiration, and what the song Sing For The Day is about? Is it about her/ Hannah's mother who was Tommy's wife? What is the song really about?
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: POE

Postby Monker » Sat May 21, 2022 1:10 am

Hannah was born in 1987, so it can't be about her.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Sat May 21, 2022 1:19 am

Did not know that. Thanks Monk. Tommy must really like the name???? It was such a different song for them and especially Tommy at the time. Wasn't it? Boat On The River was way different, but since Babe & First Time were on the same album it didn't seem near as drastic to me as Sing For The Day did since Blue Collar Man / Renegade etc on POE. The song is great just different. So what was his inspiration for it?? What's it about?
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Cassie May » Sat May 21, 2022 1:50 am

Sing for the Day is a song Tommy wrote about the female fans at the time. Originally, the name he used was Anna, but someone in the crew had a daughter named Hannah and Tommy liked that name better. As an aside, he was still married to his first wife at the time and hadn't yet met his second wife and eventual mother of his daughter. Hannah Rene was born July 9, 1987. Her middle name comes from Tommy's sister Rene.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby yogi » Sat May 21, 2022 2:00 am

How did you know all of that? Great info. The album is soooo damn good. What kind of idiots would rip it 1 even calling it whale vomit. It’s great all the way thru. Every member shines on it. Thanks for the info.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Cassie May » Sat May 21, 2022 4:18 am

yogi wrote:How did you know all of that? Great info. The album is soooo damn good. What kind of idiots would rip it 1 even calling it whale vomit. It’s great all the way thru. Every member shines on it. Thanks for the info.

Well, I've been a fan since 77 and I've read and listened to pretty much every interview out there. LOL, material is so much more available now than it was back then, when all we had were teenybopper rags! :lol:
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Monker » Sat May 21, 2022 11:16 am

Cassie May wrote:Sing for the Day is a song Tommy wrote about the female fans at the time. Originally, the name he used was Anna, but someone in the crew had a daughter named Hannah and Tommy liked that name better. As an aside, he was still married to his first wife at the time and hadn't yet met his second wife and eventual mother of his daughter. Hannah Rene was born July 9, 1987. Her middle name comes from Tommy's sister Rene.

Back when "Rock to the Rescue" was somewhat new, I saw a pic of Tommy and Hannah together. I was curious so I looked her up on "whatever", it may have even been MySpace at the time. She was into promoting being vegan and various liberal causes. I remember I thought she looked a LOT like Tommy. I also thought that she was the Hannah in the song...but she was just way too young. She must have been in her late teens or early 20's back then. Just Googled her and she's really matured into a fine person. I bet Tommy is really proud of her.
Monker
MP3

Postby Cassie May » Sat May 21, 2022 2:24 pm

Back when "Rock to the Rescue" was somewhat new, I saw a pic of Tommy and Hannah together. I was curious so I looked her up on "whatever", it may have even been MySpace at the time. She was into promoting being vegan and various liberal causes. I remember I thought she looked a LOT like Tommy. I also thought that she was the Hannah in the song...but she was just way too young. She must have been in her late teens or early 20's back then. Just Googled her and she's really matured into a fine person. I bet Tommy is really proud of her.[/quote]

Hannah is now known as Kitten Lady. She fosters kittens, promotes TNR for feral cats, and runs a non profit called Orphan Kitten Club. She travels the country giving seminars and has authored several books. She is a fierce advocate of all animals and is vegan. I follow her on Instagram.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Return to Styx