Dennis DeYoung Hunchback of Notre Dame REVIEWS

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Dennis DeYoung Hunchback of Notre Dame REVIEWS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon May 23, 2022 5:23 am

I was opening night of Dennis DeYoung's Hunchback of Notre Dame! It was beyond amazing! I'm not just saying that because I'm a huge fan. The music, story, actors, the theater and the set were perfect for his show. The reviews coming in are all excellent! I'll be posting them on this thread :)

Yes, there are songs that he wrote for his Hunchback of Notre Dame that are on his and Styx albums.

At Skylight Music Theatre, Dennis DeYoung's 'Hunchback of Notre Dame' is a spectacle of powerful singing
Jim Higgins
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Mocked and tormented for his disability, then scolded by his father figure for straying from the great cathedral, Quasimodo climbs up into his lair like a wounded animal seeking safety.

Then Ben Gulley opens his mouth to sing "In My Silence" in an achingly beautiful operatic voice. Not all angels wear white and have wings.

Composer Dennis DeYoung has cited the 1939 movie adaptation of Victor Hugo's novel as one of the inspirations for his musical tragedy, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," which Skylight Music Theatre opened Friday night.

DeYoung's "Hunchback," directed by Skylight artistic director Michael Unger, has some DNA in common with old movies. It's filled with spectacle, a bit leisurely, beautifully costumed (by designer Alyssa Ridder) and dramatically lit (by designer Jamie Roderick).

It's also a star vehicle for Gulley, Kevin Anderson as the cleric Frollo and Alanis Sophia as the Romani girl Esmerelda, who deliver DeYoung's sweeping songs as if they're singing for their lives — which their characters often are. Like the tunes he wrote for Styx, the band he used to lead, DeYoung's songs for "Hunchback" hold nothing back emotionally. No hipster winking here.

For example, when Anderson discovers the malformed infant on the steps of Notre-Dame Cathedral who will grow up to Quasimodo, he sings "Who Will Love This Child" as though he is God's personal advocate for every neglected baby in the world — and as if he knows personally, in every cell, what it feels like to be abandoned. And this is the character (mild spoiler here) whom you might say is the villain of this story!

Anderson dramatizes Frollo's loss of faith as he wrestles with his passion for Esmerelda — in line with DeYoung's vision of the character as tragic rather than cartoonishly evil. Despite Frollo's spiritual crisis, this "Hunchback" treats the church itself respectfully and incorporates some beautiful choral singing.

Still, Frollo becomes another powerful man who blames a young woman for his own lust, a story as relevant in our time as in Hugo's.

But Esmerelda's kindness rouses the heart of Quasimodo in a gentler, nobler way. Gulley's performance reminds me of "The Elephant Man," gradually revealing the beautiful soul under the broken carapace. However, she only has eyes for the dashing Capt. Phoebus (Joey Chelius), activating the love quadrilateral that drives the action.

Skylight's "Hunchback" portrays Esmerelda's Romani circle in a complex way. Some are petty thieves, but they're also a persecuted minority. Ensemble member Jackey Boelkow, who has Romani heritage, consulted on cultural aspects of the production.

While Gulley's Quasimodo is mocked for his disability, his deafness (from ringing the church bells) is treated by other characters with straightforward sensitivity, as they remind each other to look at him while speaking so he can read their lips.

Music director and keyboardist Eric Svejcar leads the orchestra. This is not a Styx show, but anyone who likes that group's power ballads and keyboard-driven songs should enjoy the music here.

On the day they met on a Chicago street in 1994, DeYoung and Unger talked about this musical. Nearly three decades later, they have made it a reality. I think they're entitled to ring the bell until their arms get tired.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: Dennis DeYoung Hunchback of Notre Dame REVIEWS

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon May 23, 2022 5:25 am

Fun article/interview about Dennis and the director Michael Unger and the Hunchback of Notre Dame

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/we-talked- ... oCkswTISeM
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon May 23, 2022 5:26 am

Great interview:

Ryan Jay Reviews is at Skylight Music Theatre.
· Milwaukee ·

Going into Skylight Music Theatre’s opening night of “The Hunchback of Notre Dame,” my familiarity was mostly limited to the animated Disney classic. I’ve seen it countless times; love it. So upon the lights dimming for this first-time-fully-produced production of Dennis DeYoung’s musical adaptation, directed by Artistic Director Michael Unger, I was eager for a different take on the Victor Hugo novel. By the time the lights went out at the close of just Act 1, I was, quite literally, speechless; precisely the opposite of what my career demands. I’ve since recovered.

With this show, the Skylight has risen to a level that is so beyond next. It is better than some of the Broadway tours I have seen. I want *this cast* to record the songs. DeYoung’s music is instantly infectious and memorable, some worthy of radio play, many standing out as needing to be heard again. They are showtunes, pop power ballads and anthems. As an entertainment critic, I annually vote for film and TV categories at the Critics Choice Awards; but if I were able to be a Tony Awards voter, I would definitely recommend DeYoung for a nomination. The same goes for Ben Gulley, whose Quasimodo erases the Disney one. I walked out of the theater believing he’s my new fave male singer. If for no other reason than to hear Gulley perform DeYoung’s songs live on stage, you have to see this show. But every role here is as well sung. The mix of Kevin Anderson as Frollo, American Idol finalist Alanis Sophia as Esmeralda (in her professional musical theatre debut) and Gulley’s tenor, blows the roof off of the opera house.

Not having read the novel, this story must follow it more closely than the family-friendly Disney film. It has comedic flair but is overall more deep, mature, intense and dark. If some properties can be “Disney’fied,” then this treatment feels “Les Miz’ified.” There are several poignant moments throughout the book, staging, design and choreography that evoke multiple, popular main stage favorites. This is a show which, if you miss, you will regret it. See it at the Skylight Music Theatre, now through June 12.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 am

Here's another review :)

https://shepherdexpress.com/culture/the ... xCd6Ktpjws

‘The Hunchback’ Sings in Skylight’s Production of Dennis DeYoung’s Musical
BY HARRY CHERKINIAN MAY 23, 2022 9:24 A.M.

Poor Quasimodo. He was abandoned as an infant due to his hideous deformity as a “hunchback.” He was adopted by an archdeacon, spending his entire life inside a cathedral. He’s gone deaf due to ringing the cathedral bells all those years and he and the deacon now desire the same woman, Esmeralda. Could things possibly get any worse?

Well, no spoilers here. But there are plenty of terrific songs and top-notch performances given the new musical version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame which opened at Skylight Music Theatre last weekend. Based on Victor Hugo’s 1831 classic French Gothic novel, Hunchback depicts the twisted, obsessive relationships among Archdeacon Claude Frollo, the beautiful street dancer Esmeralda and the famous cathedral’s bellringer, the physically deformed Quasimodo.

Credit the musical score and songwriting to Dennis DeYoung, yes that guy who led the rock band Styx for many years. Having crafted many hit tunes for Styx (“Lady,” “Babe,” “Mr. Roboto”), DeYoung has written some memorable songs that echo long after the cathedral bells have stopped ringing and the curtain has come down.

DeYoung and Skylight Artistic Director Michael Unger, who also directed Hunchback, have assembled a talented acting ensemble who brighten up this dark twisted tale. And there is no more perfect casting than Ben Gulley as Quasimodo. He moves, acts, invests himself so fully in this poor creature that when he begins to sing, the purity and clarity of his powerful yet gentle voice only reinforces Quasimodo’s complete innocence amid a world of mockery and injustice. Hearing Gulley perform the stirring, heartfelt ballad “In My Silence” from the cathedral’s “rafters” early in the Act One is a high point (yes, bad pun) within the show’s 2 ½-hour production (with 15-minute intermission). DeYoung’s diverse songwriting is what holds the production together with memorable musical refrains like “With Every Heartbeat” that makes this show worth seeing—and hearing.

DeYoung also adapted the musical’s book, which serves more as a device to link the songs, scene to scene, than move the storyline forward. Fortunately Adam Koch’s stunning set designs of the cathedral bells, gorgeous multi-colored stained glass and religious artifacts coupled with Alyssa Ridder’s brightly colored costumes give Hunchback a multi-faceted sheen of beauty that dazzles yet also hides the emotional darkness within.

Kevin Anderson as the archdeacon tormented by his lust for Esmeralda is another example of solid casting as we watch his descent into madness. And as the main object of mutual desire, Alanis Sophia strikes a fine balance between naive street dancer and determined young woman. And there are other fine supporting performances, among them: Janet Metz as the shrewd, funny fortune teller; and Joey Chelius as the young captain who capture’s Esmeralda’s loving gaze.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is, at its very core, an enduring love story set against a backdrop of inevitable tragedy. Dennis DeYoung and Skylight Music Theatre have given this “hunchback” the chance again to be heard from the rafters and beyond.

Dennis DeYoung’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame runs through June 12 at the Broadway Theatre Center’s Cabot Theatre, 158 N. Broadway, Milwaukee. Recommended for ages 12 and up. For more information, call the Box Office at: 414-291-7800, or visit: http://www.skylightmusictheatre.org.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue May 24, 2022 12:38 pm

Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Wed May 25, 2022 11:08 am

GREAT review! I can't wait to see it again!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/milwaukee ... pVk3lVH4SU

BWW Review: Epic HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME Stuns with Song at SKYLIGHT MUSIC THEATRE
Literary classic gets rock-opera treatment from Dennis DeYoung
Milwaukee, WI

by Kelsey Lawler May. 24, 2022
BWW Review: Epic HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME Stuns with Song at SKYLIGHT MUSIC THEATRE Victor Hugo sure knew how to write poignant tales of miserable people. And luckily, brilliant musicians seem to delight in taking these stories and creating something as poetic and stirring as their source. Music makes even the saddest accounts a bit sweeter -- more digestible too, many would argue. That's certainly the case with Dennis DeYoung's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, on stage at the Skylight Music Theatre through June 12th.

DeYoung is a founding member and the lead vocalist of Styx. Knowing this, the dots connect perfectly upon hearing what he's created for Hunchback. It's a rock-opera, full of power ballads and even a leading role that seems inspired by DeYoung's own frontman tone.

For those unfamiliar, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a French Gothic novel by Victor Hugo that was published in 1831. It's the story of Quasimodo, disfigured from birth and destined to ring the bells of the Notre Dame Cathedral. His benefactor is Frollo, a devout but troubled clergyman. In the royal guard is Captain Phoebus, and the object of all three men's affection is Esmerelda, a Romani dancer. Esmerelda lives in the Court of Miracles, the slums of Paris, alongside mother-figure and fortune-teller Mahiette. The ringleader of their troupe is the thief Clopin.

I won't dig deep into the story, but bear in mind: Hunchback takes place in medieval Paris in a society that's quick to ridicule and villainize those who are deemed different. Be warned that the show includes depictions of suicide, murder, and the gallows. If you were hoping for a Disney-fied version, you won't find it here -- this Hunchback has no wise-cracking gargoyles.

What it is, however, is staggering, extraordinary, and masterfully staged. The Skylight has outdone themselves with this season finale. Artistic Director Michael Unger says he has been dreaming of staging DeYoung's Hunchback for 28 years. His affinity for the material is a delightful story, so be sure to read the origin of Unger's love for this musical, and his friendship with DeYoung, in your show program.

When I say the Skylight has outdone themselves, it's no exaggeration. The caliber of talent, of vocal power, of triple threats -- I don't know the last time there's been a cast so thoroughly consistent at Skylight. Their shows and casts are always mighty good, but this one is superb.

We first hear Kevin Anderson as Frollo with "Who Will Love This Child." Anderson impresses straight away with his powerful voice that sounds like it could easily front a rock band. He plays the tormented priest with a Javert-esque quality. Should we see the good in him, pity him, despise him? His is a well-rounded portrayal.

Now understand, I found Anderson's voice to be top-notch. But just when you think "Wow, Anderson is killing it!" in comes Ben Gulley, bringing down the house with "In My Silence." Gulley's big, beautiful voice is so utterly transfixing, to compare the two would be unfair. Both are excellent in their own right, but Gulley could hang with the very best of world-class Broadway, opera, you name it. The magic he makes as Quasimodo elicits a feeling that will stick with you. (Isn't that the best?)

As Esmerelda, Skylight welcomes Alanis Sophia, a bilingual songwriter and musician who recently made it to the Top 16 in Season 19 of American Idol. Just as Esmerelda should, Sophia shines and dazzles in both her presence and powerful vocals. Her voice resides somewhere between pop and Disney princess, in an authentic and splendid place all its own.

Mother-figure to Esmerelda, Mahiette, is played by returning favorite Janet Metz. To no one's surprise, she turns this supporting role to gold. Her singular voice and energy elevate every scene she graces. As the Romani ringleader Clopin, Seth K. Hale is another recent Skylight alum. He brings essential levity and a spark of humor to Hunchback, with an impressive voice to boot.

Rounding out the main cast are the king's men, the handsome Phoebus (Joey Chelius) and the guard Gudule (André Sguerra). A Milwaukee native also returning to Skylight, Chelius is a perfect Phoebus full of charm and swagger with a voice to match. Sguerra's incredibly deep register wows at every turn, making Gudule the kind of brute you love to hate.

If all this wasn't enough, the ensemble brings an astounding wall of sound, full of strength and charisma. And dancing? They excel there too. Choreography by Lisa Shriver is a whirl of radiant color and life, filling the stage without ever feeling cramped. It's a stunning achievement.

It also doesn't hurt that lush, vibrant costumes by Alyssa Ridder and towering scenic design by Adam Koch really keep the eye engaged throughout. Hunchback is at once intimate and eye-popping -- a real gem of an experience and one you won't soon forget.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Wed May 25, 2022 11:10 am

Dennis was interviewed on the WTMJ Morning Blend show here in Milwaukee this morning:

https://www.tmj4.com/shows/the-morning- ... nt-to-miss
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun May 29, 2022 12:21 am

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/5-reasons- ... MhSgj7p1XU

5 Reasons to See Skylight’s ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’
From the music to the talented performers, this one sings to the heavens.

BY ALLI WATTERS
Dennis DeYoung – yes, the singer/songwriter/keyboardist for Styx – brought his musical adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame to Milwaukee with the help of Michael Unger, the artistic director at Skylight Music Theatre.

The show runs through June 12. For tickets and more information, go to the Skylight’s website.

We checked it out, and here’s a few reasons why we think you should too:

1. The Music
When I spoke to DeYoung prior to the premier of this musical, he told me “I think this is the greatest collection of songs I’ve ever written in my whole life.” And he’s not wrong. The songs in this show have sweeping notes, emotional lyrics and chilling harmonies (that is, the kind that gives you goosebumps). And they’re catchy, too. I was humming “With Every Heartbeat” my whole way home from the Third Ward. If you’re a fan of DeYoung or Styx – or even if you’re not – you will get more than your money’s worth from the music alone.

2. The Talent
You can’t talk about this musical without bringing up the tremendous wealth of talent on the stage, most notably the three leads played by Alanis Sophia (Esmerelda), Ben Gulley (Quasimodo) and Kevin Anderson (Frollo). Gulley is a name you won’t soon forget after this one, his operatic voice and touching take on the character will move you to tears. Sophia, brings a sweetness to Esmerelda’s character that isn’t seen in other iterations of the story. Anderson portrays Frollo, not as a straight-forward villain, but as a man with a lot of complexities. You watch his hair get more and more wild as his character spirals down hill. The rare moments where these three sing together are the most touching in the whole production. And that’s just a few members of what what was a very robust and skilled collection of local performers.

3. The Bells
They’re massive! And that’s just one of the ways the production team made the stage feeling like a genuine cathedral. The lighting effects used to make it look like the sun was shining in through stained glass window was astounding. All of the set pieces – while minimal – were used effectively. There were stairs to make it feel like Quasimodo was climbing up to the bells of Notre Dame. When he was excited, he would ring them to make them sing. And yes, it did look like they were actually ringing.

4. The Characters
What drives this story is the characters, and each one of them shows tremendous growth – or decline – throughout the show. You watch as the little things – like offering someone water in their time of need – can change someone’s life. How powerful physical touch, or even just looking someone in the eyes can be for a person. Even the minor characters shine and show progression throughout the plot. You’ll have strong feelings about them all, love or hate, and those feelings will likely flip flop all throughout the show. That’s what makes this production so engaging.

5. A Fresh Take on an Old Story
Perhaps you’ve read the book or seen the movies, so you’re worried this show is just more of the same. But DeYoung – who said himself he was not a fan of the original writing – takes this story in a new direction than past interpretations. If you’re only familiar with the Disney version, the ending here will surprise you (and I won’t spoil it).
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:28 am

This musical is everything that Dennis believed it to be and more. This is a Chicago publication.

https://www.newcitystage.com/2022/06/01 ... l-theatre/

Bells Are Ringing: A Review of Dennis DeYoung’s “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” at Skylight Musical Theatre
JUNE 1, 2022 AT 7:00 AM BY DENNIS POLKOW

“The Hunchback of Notre Dame” at Skylight Musical Theatre/Photo: Mark Frohna

RECOMMENDED

In the early 1990s, then-Styx lead singer, songwriter and keyboardist Dennis DeYoung was asked to play Pontius Pilate in a twentieth-anniversary all-star national touring company production of “Jesus Christ Superstar” that ended up on Broadway. His own arrangement and virtuosic vocal traversal of “Pilate’s Dream” stopped that show every night.

That experience led to DeYoung cutting an album of his own arrangements of Broadway standards as well as taking a crack at writing his own musical: an adaptation of Victor Hugo’s “The Hunchback of Notre Dame.” The DeYoung “Hunchback” ended up eclipsed by the Disney-animated musical version, although an album of DeYoung singing the score was released and excerpts would be performed at his solo shows. Live stage productions would be few and far between: a 1997 production at the Tennessee Repertory Theatre in Nashville and a Bailiwick Theatre production a decade later in Chicago. (Our review here.)

Enter Chicago director Michael Unger, who had a chance meeting with DeYoung twenty-eight years ago at Steppenwolf Theatre where Unger was then assistant director on a show. After hearing the score, Unger told DeYoung that he wanted to direct “Hunchback.” When Unger ended up as artistic director of Milwaukee’s Skylight Music Theatre years later, he set out to have DeYoung’s “Hunchback” be the work that would inaugurate his tenure in September 2020. Twenty months later, that pandemic-delayed, decades-in-the-making production is up and running.

Like Unger, I had heard DeYoung’s score in 1994 and was deeply moved by it. But after the 2007 Bailiwick production, I had doubts that despite its spectacular songs, DeYoung’s “Hunchback” was likely to become a viable stage property without a new book—it was and remains DeYoung’s own as are the music and lyrics. Its dramaturgy needed to be much more character-driven and the song textures and forces given more musical variety. Now, Michael Unger has served as a muse and lightning rod to set DeYoung’s creativity into overdrive in effectively addressing ambiguities and weaknesses of the narrative. This Skylight Music Theatre version is not only a spectacular all-new production, but much of the work has been reconsidered and reshaped.

What DeYoung always had right were the songs, no small accomplishment for a musical, and of course, the centerpiece of what attracts those of us who love the genre to the art form. DeYoung is an unabashed melodist and why not? He has an immense gift for melody and for dressing memorable melodies in poignant lyrics, as shown by his eight Top Ten hits for Styx that are so indelible that the band still thrives on performing them without DeYoung in the band for well over twenty years.

There are over thirty songs here that include anthems, arias, dances, choruses, duets and trios. The variety is eclectic and runs the gamut from liturgical music—original as well as a bit that Alfred Newman made use of in the 1939 film score of “Hunchback”—and opera to world music and pop-music power ballads and parodies with a well-assembled and powerful cast and ensemble that bring them all off stunningly. Whatever the future of this work and this production—and it is ninety-four precent ready for New York as is—these extraordinary artists need to record this score.

The songs now have fuller context and meaning. Steppenwolf ensemble member Kevin Anderson’s Frollo breaks our heart when he sings “Who Will Love This Child?” as a lullaby with a deformed infant in his arms. But now we have a backstory for Frollo’s sense of being ostracized and rejected that becomes a tender bond between he and the foundling he names Quasimodo.

A daring and inspiring cast choice is having operatic tenor Ben Gulley play Quasimodo. Gulley does have a slight resemblance to a young Charles Laughton, which calls to mind the 1939 film version. From the moment Gulley sings of his plight in the all-new aria “In My Silence” which stops the show, it is as if the soaring beauty of Quasimodo’s thoughts and shimmering singing voice are his real persona, not the physical deformities which meet the eye. This is a sensitive soul and a gentle and fragile being with piety and empathy.

Esmeralda (Alanis Sophia) is no less an outsider than Quasimodo. She is beautiful, to be sure, so much so that Frollo will blame her for bewitching him. But the real issue is she is discriminated against for being another race and religion. The G word, i.e., “gypsy,” is used sparingly here to describe Esmeralda and those of Romani ancestry. In fact, DeYoung has created an entirely new character Mahiette (Janet Metz), Esmeralda’s mother, to fill out this compelling aspect of the narrative. The moments where Quasimodo and Esmeralda are vocally united also indicate their common sense of alienation.

Additional pieces to the seven-piece orchestra would be great given the lushness of the score, but the music direction by Eric Svejcar is first-rate.

Lisa Shriver’s choreography makes the show pop not only with the Romani dancing featuring Esmeralda and Mahiette, but with the beggars of the Court of Miracles and the crowd of Parisians that even manage to get Quasimodo dancing during the Feast of Fools celebration.

This was my first-ever experience of Milwaukee’s sixty-three year-old Skylight Music Theatre. But if the extraordinary excellence of what Unger has done with DeYoung’s “Hunchback” is any indication of what is to follow, it won’t be my last.

Skylight Music Theatre, 158 North Broadway, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, skylightmusictheatre.org. Through June 12.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Return to Styx